PDA

View Full Version : Curbing annoying plat farming spam

McMullen
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
My suggestion is to scan mail and chat for the common sites that contribute to the problem.

Simply look for items like 'mmobay.com' or 'aznsale.com' and flag that account. If you see more than 5 sent messages with that information then temporily suspend the account (first offense = 1 day ban, second = 1 week, third = permanent).

With this type of scanning you would drastically reduce the amount of 'spam reports' you would have to deal with (at most 3 events where a total of 15 improper messages get sent).

I suggested this to two different in-game representatives but they were unable/unwilling to suggest it to your development staff. It is unfortunate you have this divide between support and development and does not bode well for the longevity of the game. The notion that I as a customer (outsider) has to resort to spending my time to relay information between your separate departments is absolutly absurd, but I'm sure that should be addressed in a separate thread.

Thanks

Cross posted from in-game support forum since development and support do not talk.

PhoenixRajoNight
02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
My suggestion is to scan mail and chat for the common sites that contribute to the problem.

Simply look for items like 'mmobay.com' or 'aznsale.com' and flag that account. If you see more than 5 sent messages with that information then temporily suspend the account (first offense = 1 day ban, second = 1 week, third = permanent).

With this type of scanning you would drastically reduce the amount of 'spam reports' you would have to deal with (at most 3 events where a total of 15 improper messages get sent).

I suggested this to two different in-game representatives but they were unable/unwilling to suggest it to your development staff. It is unfortunate you have this divide between support and development and does not bode well for the longevity of the game. The notion that I as a customer (outsider) has to resort to spending my time to relay information between your separate departments is absolutly absurd, but I'm sure that should be addressed in a separate thread.

Thanks

Cross posted from in-game support forum since development and support do not talk.

I've learned to ignore spam from b.net and actually read it because of the bad english and it lets me laugh, also recieved 3 mails last week that didnt even say what site it was from, so it was like a "I'm promoting any form of buying plat" mail. lol, I'm telling ya take a break and read some of these poorly written emails, you'd think with a mass send mail scheme they'd word it better. It's seriously funny.

McMullen
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I've learned to ignore spam from b.net and actually read it because of the bad english and it lets me laugh, also recieved 3 mails last week that didnt even say what site it was from, so it was like a "I'm promoting any form of buying plat" mail. lol, I'm telling ya take a break and read some of these poorly written emails, you'd think with a mass send mail scheme they'd word it better. It's seriously funny.

No offense, but I don't really want to "learn" to ignore it. For something that is not condoned by turbine i'd rather not deal with it. I am looking for a solution to "nip this problem in the bud" rather than moving the problem into a *unconfirmed folder which includes mail sent between characters of the same account but of different guilds. Why should paying customers put up with spamming of mail and tells from these people?

What I am putting out for discussion would limit the number of people effected by the problem. Lets talk about potential solutions to the problem rather than the 'entertainment value' of the annoying tells and emails.

Kire
02-03-2008, 12:05 AM
The big problem with this is that most of the acounts you get the mail from are trial accounts. They get deleted 2-5 hours after creation.

Now banning site names from mails and tells would do alot. But they would have to limit it quite a bit or we'll see stuff like

A Z N . C O M or if they make it so those letters cant be in the same line stuff like:

A
Z
N
C
O
M

its difficult to screen it enough without messing up reg mails.

~Kire

Ghoste
02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
From what I understand, the disconnect bewteen in game support and out of game development is due to the fact that Turbine outsources its GMs to companies that do that sort of thing for multiple games. Could be wrong though.

McMullen
02-03-2008, 12:25 AM
The big problem with this is that most of the acounts you get the mail from are trial accounts. They get deleted 2-5 hours after creation.

Now banning site names from mails and tells would do alot. But they would have to limit it quite a bit or we'll see stuff like

A Z N . C O M or if they make it so those letters cant be in the same line stuff like:

A
Z
N
C
O
M

its difficult to screen it enough without messing up reg mails.

~Kire

Actually it isn't difficult to screen for keywords in tells and email, regardless if each letter is separated by whitespace (characters such as spaces or newlines).

This should not effect "ligitimate" emails unless you include the actual keyword in your email AND send it on to more than 5 people. I doubt you are telling all your friends about the benefits of buy plat from websites...

Reasonable questions, but still looking for the major flaw in this kind of solution.

McMullen
02-03-2008, 12:42 AM
From what I understand, the disconnect bewteen in game support and out of game development is due to the fact that Turbine outsources its GMs to companies that do that sort of thing for multiple games. Could be wrong though.

I believe you are correct. Unfortunately I also wonder why we cannot information collected by the support staff (either internal or external) is completely unavailable to the development staff. We do live in the "information age" and they should be able to share this information so they can improve the game.

PhoenixRajoNight
02-03-2008, 04:26 AM
No offense, but I don't really want to "learn" to ignore it. For something that is not condoned by turbine i'd rather not deal with it. I am looking for a solution to "nip this problem in the bud" rather than moving the problem into a *unconfirmed folder which includes mail sent between characters of the same account but of different guilds. Why should paying customers put up with spamming of mail and tells from these people?

What I am putting out for discussion would limit the number of people effected by the problem. Lets talk about potential solutions to the problem rather than the 'entertainment value' of the annoying tells and emails.

Theres no getting rid of it really, its called capitalism, thats what happens. Give someone the means to make money doing something they enjoy, or something thats easier, they are going to do it. I get emails everyday from diff companies, in my real email, not all of them go automatically to junk, be greatful in this game they do. They just have to work out how to get the stuff that should be confirmed to go there.

Turbines solution of a junk mail function is the best route to go. Why you may ask,? This is what every email system does now because its the only way to get a solution to the problem. They cannot bring most of the plat farmers in court because there tos applies in the us and some other countries but not all of them.

It's not going to end, there is no way to stop it. The best way to get past it is to get over it and let turbine do what they have the capabilities of doing. You cannot monitor everything everyone does. The only other wway is to stop letting peeps make trial accounts and such, but thats the same as stopping all the planes from flying in the world because a terrorist might go on one.

I really am srry dude, but spam is part of the internet world, and when we all have pluggs in our brain it will be even more annoying, but we will have to learn to ignore it because I'm sorry but its the way the world is.

McMullen
02-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Theres no getting rid of it really, its called capitalism, thats what happens. Give someone the means to make money doing something they enjoy, or something thats easier, they are going to do it. I get emails everyday from diff companies, in my real email, not all of them go automatically to junk, be greatful in this game they do. They just have to work out how to get the stuff that should be confirmed to go there.

Turbines solution of a junk mail function is the best route to go. Why you may ask,? This is what every email system does now because its the only way to get a solution to the problem. They cannot bring most of the plat farmers in court because there tos applies in the us and some other countries but not all of them.

It's not going to end, there is no way to stop it. The best way to get past it is to get over it and let turbine do what they have the capabilities of doing. You cannot monitor everything everyone does. The only other wway is to stop letting peeps make trial accounts and such, but thats the same as stopping all the planes from flying in the world because a terrorist might go on one.

I really am srry dude, but spam is part of the internet world, and when we all have pluggs in our brain it will be even more annoying, but we will have to learn to ignore it because I'm sorry but its the way the world is.

No need to be sorry, it is obvious we disagree on this. What I don't understand is why you feel compelled to post. Your solution is to do nothing and have turbine do nothing because nothing can be done. I'm not ready to throw up my hands and give up.

In real life I too deal with spam, it comes into my mailbox everyday, but DDO is not the internet. DDO is a closed environment paid for by everyone in it (except trial accounts). As a software developer I am also familiar with "what is possible" and what I am proposing is entirely possible and not particularly difficult.

I completely understand that spam will never be completely stopped and that is why I used the word "Curb" in this thread. What I am proposing is a simple filter (common to any mail routing program) that attempts to identify the source of the problem before it effects the entire DDO community.