PDA

View Full Version : Please Increase Drop Rate of Khyber Dragonshards

Kerr
02-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I've run all the new quests, ran a few older quests, and have yet to see a single Khyber Dragonshard fragment drop from a breakable or be found in a chest! I want to be able to bind certain equipment to prevent the added wear and tear from these quests, and haven't even been able to start! It was posted that these should drop 'commonly' from breakables. I haven't seen any.

Also, Trap the Soul requires these to be forged into larger ones, and my Wizard will never get to try it out if I can't find enough to bind a few pieces of equipment, much less actually get the fragments forged together!

Angelus_dead
02-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I want to be able to bind certain equipment to prevent the added wear and tear from these quests, and haven't even been able to start! It was posted that these should drop 'commonly' from breakables. I haven't seen any.
I've got over 4000, they don't seem rare. I bet in a few weeks they'll be cheap at a settled price on AH.

Stormanne
02-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Agreed, I've been getting them in groups of 200+ out of chests and 50+ out of breakables....

bobbryan2
02-02-2008, 04:04 PM
And a single cast of the lowest level of soul trap requires 1000 fragments just to make 10 tiny shards.

Oh...

4000 doesn't seem like that much now, does it?

The problem I have, is I had 3 tiny dragonshards, and they're used up even if they enemy is immune to the spell. Managed to kill a small ice mephit in a lvl 6 quest with 3 days worth of questing. No soul gem from it either...

jjflanigan
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
And a single cast of the lowest level of soul trap requires 1000 fragments just to make 10 tiny shards.

Oh...

4000 doesn't seem like that much now, does it?

The problem I have, is I had 3 tiny dragonshards, and they're used up even if they enemy is immune to the spell. Managed to kill a small ice mephit in a lvl 6 quest with 3 days worth of questing. No soul gem from it either...

4000 seems like 40 casts of the spell...that's a decent amount for just a couple of days collecting them. And you have to pick the soul gem up off the ground.

PhoenixRajoNight
02-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Have to remember the loot drops are random, and some peeps have no luck with getting certain items, I think maybe they should increase the roll range to drop them if its a range of 5 outa 100 maybe up it to 7-8.

Angelus_dead
02-02-2008, 04:34 PM
4000 seems like 40 casts of the spell...that's a decent amount for just a couple of days collecting them.
Well, you could easily cast it 40 times in one quest if you were actually using Trap the Soul as a way to fight monsters, rather than as a way to obtain Essenses for recipes.

Plus, 40 times you can cast it will only work on monsters of 10 HD or less, which is virtually no monsters you'll ever fight. To really get use from it, you'll need at least 10,000 frags to make the medium gems.

Hakushi
02-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I found 38 in the first chest I opened and havn't found any since on my rogue. My ranger got some from 2 chests (over 200) and that's all I have for now.

chemonz
02-02-2008, 08:50 PM
4000 seems like 40 casts of the spell...that's a decent amount for just a couple of days collecting them. And you have to pick the soul gem up off the ground.

Well.....4000 gives you 40 tiny shards which are only good for low hd mobs. At least a 100 tiny shards seem to be needed to make medium shards and 100? medium shards are needed to make large shards which are probably the only ones that would be usable on mobs that would be found in a level appropriate quest for a wiz or sorc capable of casting level 8 spells.

It seems this spell is really only meant for crafting as acquiring enough shards for regular use in quests seems nearly impossible.

Rindalathar
02-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I completely agree with Kerr. Common drops to me sounds like a frequency more akin to money in breakables. I've run all the new quests, a few old ones and probably 8 rares in the Vale and not a one fragment. Since Wednesday, I've gotten 4 points of perm. damage when in the past it might have happened once a month, if that. IMHO, the fragments are not dropping in as high frequency needed to allow folks to choose whether they want to bind items or not.

Knightrose
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
They only seem rare because they're new. In a month youll be swimming in them.

bobbryan2
02-02-2008, 10:47 PM
They only seem rare because they're new. In a month youll be swimming in them.

Because people are now swimming in collapsed portable holes and dimension door scrolls.

Consumables aren't going to be flooded like something like vorpals.

Kerr
02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
And remember, the Khyber ones are BLACK, not yellow. I've found nearly 1500 Siberys fragments in chests, but they are yellow and can't be used for crafting, binding, or Trap the Soul.

Grimtooth333
02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
/Signed

I have found 6... that's it. I haven't even found any of the Syberis ones.

The drops need to be increased... Or better yet you can give us a stack of like 5000 of them upon first going to Maridia for completing the talk to whoever in Maridia quest. Plenty to protect some of our items at least, hardly would 'break' anything either.

Knightrose
02-03-2008, 01:33 AM
/Signed

I have found 6... that's it. I haven't even found any of the Syberis ones.

The drops need to be increased... Or better yet you can give us a stack of like 5000 of them upon first going to Maridia for completing the talk to whoever in Maridia quest. Plenty to protect some of our items at least, hardly would 'break' anything either.

They drop in the hundreds on higher level content and raids.

Kerr
02-03-2008, 01:43 AM

Not a one for me in the 5 Vale quests, or Reaver raid, when I ran it.

Knightrose
02-03-2008, 02:05 AM
The point is the drop rate is probably fine. I see plenty of them dropping not just for myself.

BigBadBarry
02-03-2008, 02:25 AM
I've run 10 quests so far - no Khyber Dragonshard's for me...

Lo_Pan
02-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Haven't seen any yet....Or scrolls for that matter..... DEVS: Did you break the loot tables again?

Angelus_dead
02-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Yes they do, they drop in the hundreds. But the key is, quantities of hundreds are not much. It takes 100 fragments to make one weak material component, which only works on monsters under level 10, meaning its useless for combat. To get a component that'll actually work on a monster you might see in a level 17 quest would take what, 10 times as many I guess. (I don't know, because I don't have that much yet)

It's as if you're getting 1/5th to 1/3rd of a single spell component per chest drop. Seriously, I've got over 6000 khyber fragments now, and I haven't yet been able to cast the medium-power Trap the Soul even once. The high-power Trap the Soul isn't even on the horizon.

Snoggy
02-03-2008, 07:06 AM
I've gotten 3. From a breakable in the Wizard King quest. That's right, 3. That brings my total to 0 from the vale. 0 from the quests in the vale. 0 from any Gianthold quests. And 3 from a breakable in a desert quest.

So far their "common" drop rate hasn't impressed me.

Grimtooth333
02-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I was running those... still got none. The 5 new vale quests, Reaver, Tor, Pop, TBF, the lot. Nada, zilch, zip.

Hardly 'common drops that can be aquired through normal questing' as was advertised.

Turial
02-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Remember guys as the essence relates to crafting the trap the soul spell and the drop rates on the items needed to power it are likely a high end bottle neck to slow down the production of the highest end of equipment in the game.

Rindalathar
02-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I'd like to make a distinction between those fragments needed for Trap the Soul and those needed for binding purposes. It's the binding fragments drop rate that I'm concerned about. I would happily bind nearly all of my gear...if I could. I thought I would be given a choice. If you're going to change the death mechanic in one day to a system, in where, people are supposed to choose the aspect of the system that works best for them, then tie it to random loot drops, to deny or limit choice, that's where I have a problem.

Bottom line, a dev was quoted as saying "commonly" regarding fragment drop rate. No one complains about the amount of coins that drop in breakables...why?...because they commonly drop. Regardless of what your particular drop rate has been thus far, it's still too low to claim "commonly"...period.

Gornin
02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Haven't seen any either.

Angelus_dead
02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd like to make a distinction between those fragments needed for Trap the Soul and those needed for binding purposes. It's the binding fragments drop rate that I'm concerned about. I would happily bind nearly all of my gear...if I could.
It's not hard to get enough to bind your gear. You must not be trying much. Remember, you can bind 25 items with the fragments it would take to cast the MEDIUM power Trap The Soul even once.

Probably, if Trap the Soul didn't demand SO MANY khyber fragments, then wizards wouldn't be hoarding them and buying them for high prices, and you'd have an easier time obtaining them for yourself.

Jolani
02-03-2008, 04:07 PM
It takes ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND, thats 100,000 fragments to get 10 components for the highest end spell. I have found 4000 in 5 days of running the new content exclusively. You should not have to farm for weeks to be able to cast a spell ten times. Make it cost 10,000 gold per component, I'd MUCH rather pay that.

Knightrose
02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Well it is a random drop rate. Saying I got hundreds (almost 2k atm) and saying you got none merely proves that percentages still work in this universe.

I think point being overlooked (maybe?) with mod6 is that not all aspects of the mod are a 'jump right in and get your feet wet with the best' system. Some things, like crafting are going to take some effort and time. Some understanding and some research. That's a big 'boo-hoo' if it's not your thing. But give it some to develop before you knock it down with hammers. Once recipes start rolling out and information is more common (especially amongst those who do not research it) then you will have a better understanding of what you need, how much you need and how often you can obtain it. Simple really. The answer is: patience.

Knightrose
02-03-2008, 05:51 PM
It takes ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND, thats 100,000 fragments to get 10 components for the highest end spell. I have found 4000 in 5 days of running the new content exclusively. You should not have to farm for weeks to be able to cast a spell ten times. Make it cost 10,000 gold per component, I'd MUCH rather pay that.

1k plat per component would be very laughable. You can not compete with plat farmers by using the economy. Never will this work. You will always lose as a developer. The only way to design a system that benefits ONLY the players is one that uses time. It's the only thing they can't farm :)

Kaldais
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
/signed. They should be as common as arrows and bolts.

MrSmack
02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
/signed

I have ran the vale a ton of times .... lots of rares, all the new quests at least several times each
and have only gotten 538 from 1 chest on first day

the 1,000 need for the 10 low lvl trap the soul spell (10HD) are useless unless your running a harbor quest
and the soul stones from the low lvl spell are useless for crafting .... the crafting thing wont accept them
so you will need 10,000 for just 10 medium lvl spells (20HD)
or 100,000 for 10 of the high lvl spell (30HD)
and god forbid they save and you waste a shard

these things are dropping way to little

Kerr
02-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Well it is a random drop rate. Saying I got hundreds (almost 2k atm) and saying you got none merely proves that percentages still work in this universe.

The problem is they stated the drop rate would be COMMON. It is definately UNCOMMON if you only have 2,000 tiny fragments and a lot of us none if you need hundreds of thousands of them to cast the higher level spells.

Missing_Minds
02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I've got over 4000, they don't seem rare. I bet in a few weeks they'll be cheap at a settled price on AH.

lucky. I've puled only about 300 kybers myself and only now broke 1000 syber ones. And yes, iv'e been running chests like crazy to find stuff to play with things.

jkm
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
1500 in over 100 chest pulls (tbf, veil, orchard, new quests). just enough to bind some items and make 10 10HD fragments

MrCow
02-03-2008, 11:30 PM
About 2800 shards in 72 chest pulls (all in the Vale or the Mod 6 quests) if anyone wants more numbers. My numbers are showing that they drop about the same rate that gems do in chests. Also, the chest does multiple rolls so you could make out with a decent haul from a single chest (http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/Ukenburger/Forum/ScreenShot00443.jpg).

jkm
02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
About 2800 shards in 72 chest pulls (all in the Vale or the Mod 6 quests) if anyone wants more numbers. My numbers are showing that they drop about the same rate that gems do in chests. Also, the chest does multiple rolls so you could make out with a decent haul from a single chest (http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/Ukenburger/Forum/ScreenShot00443.jpg).

i think its more like, you have to roll to see if you get gems. if you do, it rolls twice on the gem table which the shards have been added too. so its possible to get:

gems
siberys shards, gems
khyber shards, gems
khyber shards, siberys shards
siberys shards, khyber shards
siberys shards, siberys shards
khyber shards, khyber shards

Elsbet
02-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I have yet to see a Khyber shard drop. For anyone.

MysticRhythms
02-04-2008, 08:42 AM

You are talking about a save-or-die spell that works on some of the toughest new monsters in the game. Wizards SHUOLD expect to have to do some questing for the components they need to power their nastiest spells. That's very much in-flavour for this game.

Anitillian
02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
agree I hope the increase the drop how ever i would go ahead and loot out merida, before they nerf the chest.

Laith
02-04-2008, 09:10 AM
from another thread.

Khyber Shard Fragment drop rates seem to still be too low, and I'm not happy with the Dragon armor situation. Those are very likely to change somehow.

Kaldais
02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
You are talking about a save-or-die spell that works on some of the toughest new monsters in the game. Wizards SHUOLD expect to have to do some questing for the components they need to power their nastiest spells. That's very much in-flavour for this game.

There is a difference between advertised 'Commonly Dropped', ie Gold/Arrows/Scrolls, 'Questing': End reward, static drop, and grind. Right now Khyber shards is a grind at 200-700 per drop, 1 in 10 chest (if that much). I hear you need 10 median size soul gem for the crafting? That's 10,000 shards = 500-200 chest needs to be looted.

Angelus_dead
02-04-2008, 09:28 AM
You are talking about a save-or-die spell that works on some of the toughest new monsters in the game.
No... no we're not. Cast Trap The Soul on the "toughest" new monsters, and they will either pass the Will save, or be Immune because of their red name. That's what tough monsters do.

Aside from the crafting aspect, Trap the Soul is really just a version of Finger of Death which hits the Will save and bypasses Deathblock and Undead immunity. That's not such a benefit that it justifies collecting literally millions of fragments to power it.

Vainomoinan
02-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I took 1000 of the pieces and fused them into 10 tiny pieces of junk.

First time I used the spell, it failed.. little white letters over my targeted victim said "immune" and when I checked my inventory, I found that the single cast had cost me all ten of the components that I had made.

I don't see any reason to use this spell as it simply is NOT cost effective in any manner. Bad advice I got on taking this spell, that's a certainty, since I found out AFTER taking the spells that we could not buy the spell scrolls OR the inscription materials anywhere. And everyone I talked with had gotten the same three scrolls from the quests.

As for the shard bits and pieces dropping... after the whole five days since the update, my wizzy had finally managed to collect about 1700. All from chest and none from breakables.

Oh well, grind on... and on.... and on to moderate avail.

MysticRhythms
02-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Aside from the crafting aspect, Trap the Soul is really just a version of Finger of Death which hits the Will save and bypasses Deathblock and Undead immunity. That's not such a benefit that it justifies collecting literally millions of fragments to power it.

Finger of Death relies on a Fortitude save. Most tough monsters have good Fortitude saves and poorer Will saves. And then yuo add that two other immunities don't work on it, and your'e claiming it's "just Finger of Death?"

Perhaps the drop rate should be increased a bit, but I think you are understating the benefit of this spell.

bobbryan2
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Finger of Death relies on a Fortitude save. Most tough monsters have good Fortitude saves and poorer Will saves. And then yuo add that two other immunities don't work on it, and your'e claiming it's "just Finger of Death?"

Perhaps the drop rate should be increased a bit, but I think you are understating the benefit of this spell.

No one would really know... I don't know of anyone who's even casted the high HD spell.

Kerr
02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
from another thread.

Well at least they recognize it's way too low. Hopefully they can get a patch out soon that fixes this, and fixes it so my ranger can get Oversized Two Weapon Fighting!

Claver
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I completely agree with Kerr. Common drops to me sounds like a frequency more akin to money in breakables. I've run all the new quests, a few old ones and probably 8 rares in the Vale and not a one fragment. Since Wednesday, I've gotten 4 points of perm. damage when in the past it might have happened once a month, if that. IMHO, the fragments are not dropping in as high frequency needed to allow folks to choose whether they want to bind items or not.

/signed