PDA

View Full Version : Great Crossbow Support

Vaarsuvius
02-02-2008, 12:21 PM
So I just got a deal on a W/P ........ Great Crossbow.

My buddy says "nice, you got a deal on something nobody wants, Grats."

So I Turn to the great minds of the DDO forums, plz help.

I was thinking a human rog/wiz, CC/trapsmith with ranged support.

Is it possible?

Does hamstring work on ranged weapons now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

V

Glenalth
02-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Crit range and damage is great on those things.

Only real issue with them is rate of fire. You can take rapid reload to speed it up a little bit.

Geonis
02-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Go Rog 1/Ranger 11+.

The only feat rangers get that doesn't affect the crossbow is Manyshot, even Rapid Shot helps with the crossbow (confirmed by Codog somewhere round here), but just imagine the line of enemies you hit with Imp Precise Shot on. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Con damage.....

Mad_Bombardier
02-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Feats you need for Great Crossbow - Exotic: Great Xbow, Rapid Reload, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, ImpCrit:Ranged. Helpful Feats - WF: Ranged, WS: Ranged, GrWF: Ranged, GrWS: Ranged.

11 feats, 3 of which are only available to high level Fighters. Great Crossbows scream Fighter build. You can choose Elf, Drow, or Halfling for higher starting DEX and racial DEX enhancements. :)

Of course, you do lose the chance to get Deepwood Sniper from Ranger. As a Ranger, you get 3 feats for free and do not qualify for fighter feats: WS, GrWF, GrWS.

EspyLacopa
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Go Rog 1/Ranger 11+.

The only feat rangers get that doesn't affect the crossbow is Manyshot, even Rapid Shot helps with the crossbow (confirmed by Codog somewhere round here), but just imagine the line of enemies you hit with Imp Precise Shot on. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Con damage.....
Great Crossbow?

Go Fighter, not Ranger.
Ranger abilities for ranged fighting:
Bow Strength - Doesn't work with Crossbows
Rapid Shot - Works
Manyshot - Doesn't Work with Crossbows
Precise Shot - Works
Improved Precise Shot - Works
Favored Enemy(lv1, 5, 10, 15) +8 damage - Works

Whereas the fighter can take the feats:
1: Weapon Focus(Ranged)
2: Point Blank Shot
4: Weapon Spec(Ranged)
6: Rapid Shot
8: Greater Weapon Focus(Ranged)
10: Precise Shot
12: Greater Weapon Spec(Ranged)
14: Improved Precise Shot

The fighter will get the same feats, and replaces the +8 damage bonus to 4 types of creatures with a +4 damage bonus and +2 attack bonus to everything.

The biggie that you'd lose out on is the TWF feats and the spellcasting. But for pure ranged combat, the Fighter would most likely work better. Especially with the Fighter Haste Boost.

Mad_Bombardier
02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Great Crossbow?

The biggie that you'd lose out on is the TWF feats and the spellcasting. But for pure ranged combat, the Fighter would most likely work better. Especially with the Fighter Haste Boost.And the Deepwood Sniper shot: +4 to-hit, +1 critical threat, +1 critical multiplier. 14-20/x3 every 10seconds with a Great Crossbow is downright scary. :)

EspyLacopa
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
And the Deepwood Sniper shot: +4 to-hit, +1 critical threat, +1 critical multiplier. 14-20/x3 every 10seconds with a Great Crossbow is downright scary. :)
How about 6 ranger, 10 fighter then?

Mad_Bombardier
02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
How about 6 ranger, 10 fighter then?That'd be pretty rocking, as you can get Deepwood, 2 Favored Enemies, WF, WS, and GrWF. :) But, it would lock out any higher Deepwood Sniper enhancements in future mods. :(

Vaarsuvius
02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Thank you for your response to my inquiries.

Although I really wanted to take a more of a support role in the party.

Pure ranged combatants take a back seat in most parties.

How about 6 ranger 10 rogue?

I would be able to take deepwood sniper and get rapid shot for free, I would also be able to handle traps and get a nice sneak attack bonus plus crippling strike at lvl 16.

Would I be able to hit the high lvl traps and UMD scrolls and wands?

Thanks again for the help,

V