PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine ritual???

redoubt
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Help me out here please... I think I am missing something.

1. The ritual increases hardness but does not give the adamantine property (i.e. bypassing DR)

2. All items must be bound to be upgraded as such.

3. Bound items CANNOT take permanant damage.

So... what is the purpose of doing this?

captain1z
01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
UUhhhhhh.............................

Yup.

Dungnmaster001
01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
a dev posted awhile back that it wasn't for bypassing DR it just increases hardness, and while items that are bound can't take PERMANENT damage, they do take damage normally, hardness keeps repair bills down a little.

edit: they really should change the name of the ritual though, something less confusing. I'd say ritual of hardening but that would give the immature players too much ammo for jokes.

KaKa
01-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Items that are exceptionally hard will take less then the normal 10% durability hit when you die, thus saving you on your repair bill overall.

Riorik
01-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, it only has no purpose if you assume that permanent damage is the only thing to worry about - and that the expense of repairing equipment is a minor inconvenience at best. Not sure if you have any +5 adamantine weapons but the ones I have have been under heavy use for well over a year and are at 0-5 permanent damage (that is, they still have 95-99% of their maximum durability still after many thousands of swings). Durability does play a minor role in reducing death penalty damage - but death penalty damage doesn't create permanent damage anyways...

I'd say - it'd reduce your expenses for general wear and tear repair costs for when you aren't dying every 5 seconds.

Boulderun
01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
If you have a weapon like a silver scimitar of smiting, which would by default have a low hardness, this will keep it from being worn as quickly while in a quest.

tihocan
01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
A bloodrage symbiot would be a great candidate too (assuming it's not restricted to weapons/armor).

Recovery
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM
A bloodrage symbiot would be a great candidate too (assuming it's not restricted to weapons/armor).

and dragon armor :)

Dane_McArdy
01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Your items can also take damage during the quests as well, that has nothing to do with death.

Cubes, rust monsters, fireballs, acid rain.

Combine all those together, you could effectivly have an item you can't use till you repair it.

Missing_Minds
01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Items that are exceptionally hard will take less then the normal 10% durability hit when you die, thus saving you on your repair bill overall.

actually, last I remember reading by a dev, that was not yet functional. They want it to act like that, however.

Glenalth
01-31-2008, 12:37 PM

That was my plan, but mine got destroyed the day before the mod.

Eladrin
01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
actually, last I remember reading by a dev, that was not yet functional. They want it to act like that, however.
It works.

Items, on death, take at most (10 - (hardness / 10)) % damage. Applying the Adamantine Ritual to something will increase its hardness and durability, including for this calculation.

The Bloodrage Symbiote and Dragon Armors are indeed good choices.

juniorpfactors
01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
It works.

Items, on death, take at most (10 - (hardness / 10)) % damage. Applying the Adamantine Ritual to something will increase its hardness and durability, including for this calculation.

robe of the magi....my god mine just is getting torn apart after any quest

Crarites
01-31-2008, 02:08 PM
It works.

the math seems to indicate the most I can hope for is a -2.5% from a hardness 25, which is a very hard material. That leaves 7.5% damage that can not be avoided? Is there any way to further mitigate the dmg to items or armor from death and/or should there be?

Missing_Minds
01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
It works.

Oh, cool. Thanks. I must have missed that in the notes after having read version after version after version.

Boulderun
01-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Are there any more recipes currently in the "eldritch ritual" category, besides adamantine? The crafting guide wasn't clear as to whether they just need to be discovered, or if no others are implemented at present.