PDA

View Full Version : Warcry Previews Module 6!

Quarion
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Warcry.com has posted their experience with Module 6: The Thirteenth Eclipse!

Check it out here. (http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/previews/2877-Dungeons-Dragons-Online-Module-6-Preview)

JayDubya
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
This should be very interesting. It sounds like the raid is a 2+ hour affair, just getting through the 5 or six layers?

Ciaran
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to try it out.

I'm confused by something though...the article gives the impression that you have to run the new quests to be flagged for the raid, but I thought the raid was something that was supposed to be accessible to a wider level range and was the "easiest raid to get into since Tempest Spine"?

Are level 9-12's expected to complete these CR15-16 quests or am I missing something?

Vahyor
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
From what I could see on Risia, you have to run the 5 non-raid quests on normal once to be able to get into the raid. It's definately easier to get into than the relic/sigil systems of mods 4 and 5.

And if players can't complete level 16 quests, I don't see what they would be doing in a level 17 raid.

Kire
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Sounds like a blast! Can't wait to try it out.

I'm confused by something though...the article gives the impression that you have to run the new quests to be flagged for the raid, but I thought the raid was something that was supposed to be accessible to a wider level range and was the "easiest raid to get into since Tempest Spine"?

Are level 9-12's expected to complete these CR15-16 quests or am I missing something?

Erm... lvls 9-12 wouldnt last in the raid... so whats teh point in letting them in the raid?

~Kire

JayDubya
01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
You know what, I was wondering that myself. I assumed that they changed their mind, and it is now no easier to get into than Mod5.

Easiest to hardest to get into:

1. Tempest Spine
2. Twilight Forge (3 pre-reqs, pre-raid for each run)
3. Stormreaver (3 pre-reqs, plus collectibles, plus 1-3 runs of preraid)
4. Abbott (4 pre-reqs, plus collectibles, plus 4 runs of preraid)
5. Vault of Night (4 pre-reqs for each run, pre-raid for each run)
6. ADQ (3 pre-reqs for each run, pre-raid for each run)

The Shroud sounds like 5 pre-reqs, no pre-raid. That would make it harder than TF, possibly easier than Abbott in terms of total time committment.

Dungnmaster001
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
That's what it sounds like though I recall hearing that it could be broken up into smaller stages over a longer time. Not positive though. All in all definitely looking forward to it.

Ciaran
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Erm... lvls 9-12 wouldnt last in the raid... so whats teh point in letting them in the raid?

~Kire

It's not about letting level 9-12's into a ~CR16-17+ raid, as of course that's rather ridiculous. I was just under the impression that this raid was something that people of all different levels could partake in and "it was the easiest to get into since Tempest Spine". Since TS had no pre-reqs, I'm also confused about needing to complete quests to flag for the raid - that isn't as easy as Tempest Spine.

dragnmoon
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
You guys miss this part?... Is this a verification Monks will be in Mod 7?... hmmmm..

This is some great news as players are sure to re-roll toons in Module 7 to try out the Monk class.

Ciaran
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
That's what it sounds like though I recall hearing that it could be broken up into smaller stages over a longer time. Not positive though. All in all definitely looking forward to it.

Yeah, and I thought these different stages might be broken down by level ranges, but accessible and necessary to complete for all within a wide level range, like 9-16 or something+. So if you started at the minimum level, you would probably wait to be a higher level before completing the higher level ranged stages.

arcanehealer
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
SURE, it comes out the day after i leave for florida with no ddo avalable (/death)

dragnmoon
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
This to...

Module 6 is the best so far and Turbine doesn't have any plans on stopping there with Monks coming in Module 7 and the mysterious Module 6.1 coming for the 2nd anniversary. I did hear a rumor that makes it a good idea to have your subscriptions active for Module 6.1.

Wonder what That means...

MysticTheurge
01-28-2008, 02:48 PM
From what I could see on Risia, you have to run the 5 non-raid quests on normal once to be able to get into the raid. It's definately easier to get into than the relic/sigil systems of mods 4 and 5.

Yeah, but not easier than Twilight Forge.

So really they should've said "The easiest raid to flag for since the Twilight Forge."

Edit -- Also: "In a nutshell, once every three thousand years there is a perfect eclipse. This eclipse is of all thirteen moons and the aligning of the Vale and the nature plane Lammania."

/sigh

Eberron has 12 moons.

Ustice
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
3 reviews! Great job guys! Keep it up!

dragnmoon
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM

So really they should've said "The easiest raid to flag for since the Twilight Forge."

Edit -- Also: "In a nutshell, once every three thousand years there is a perfect eclipse. This eclipse is of all thirteen moons and the aligning of the Vale and the nature plane Lammania."

/sigh

Eberron has 12 moons.

Maybe...

From WotC..

When the dragonmarks appeared, sages were quick to note the similarities between the powers of the marks and the mythic qualities of the moons. According to popular legend, each dragonmark first manifested during the month of its associated moon. One common belief is that a child born in the month of his mark has a greater chance of developing a powerful dragonmark, and superstitious dragonmarked couples often time pregnancies to end in the appropriate month. As there were once thirteen dragonmarks, some sages believe that there is a thirteenth moon that has either vanished or simply cannot be seen with the naked eye, and the existence of such a moon has been hinted at by dragons and carvings found in ruined Xen'drik. If this moon was once visible in the sky, it vanished long before the rise of human civilization, and the common races do not know its name or place in the heavens.

Edit:... I should not have to tell this to the Loremaster *shakes head* :D:p;)

MysticTheurge
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
If this moon was once visible in the sky, it vanished long before the rise of human civilization, and the common races do not know its name or place in the heavens.

Um. Yeah. That's why I used the present tense.

"Eberron has 12 moons" not "Eberron has only ever had 12 moons."

dragnmoon
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Um. Yeah. That's why I used the present tense.

"Eberron has 12 moons" not "Eberron has only ever had 12 moons."

It could still have 13 moons...... the 13th could be hidden are not seen by the naked eye.. similar to the Black moon in dragonlance... I know I read more on the 13th moon... It might have been in one of the novels though...

Eladrin
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
The number thirteen has great mystical significance in Eberron, with the thirteenth <fill in the blank> often lost, or shrouded somehow.

The Shroud will have no pre-raid and a very easy flagging process meant primarily as a tutorial to get you ready for the item creation process that you'll be doing during the raid.

I was just under the impression that this raid was something that people of all different levels could partake in
Different levels of play style. The casual pick up group that has no intention of finishing the entire raid zone can still accomplish many objectives without defeating the final stage, and advance towards the completion of various goals. More hardcore players can try to get all the way to the end.

I'd still say that it's the easiest raid to get into and get stuff done in since Tempest Spine. We want people in there and having fun.

Mockduck
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice article. A bit less spoiler-ish than what we saw from Gamespy and Massively, which is good for folks who don't want to know too much about Mod 6 going into it. Nice work!

juniorpfactors
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
The number thirteen has great mystical significance in Eberron, with the thirteenth <fill in the blank> often lost, or shrouded somehow.

The Shroud will have no pre-raid and a very easy flagging process meant primarily as a tutorial to get you ready for the item creation process that you'll be doing during the raid.

Different levels of play style. The casual pick up group that has no intention of finishing the entire raid zone can still accomplish many objectives without defeating the final stage, and advance towards the completion of various goals. More hardcore players can try to get all the way to the end.

I'd still say that it's the easiest raid to get into and get stuff done in since Tempest Spine. We want people in there and having fun.

to bad you didnt make that effort in mod 5's raid.."We want people in there and having fun".... better late than never...you still have time to fix that one

moorewr
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
to bad you didnt make that effort in mod 5's raid.."We want people in there and having fun".... better late than never...you still have time to fix that one

I think it is appropriate for them to switch gears from Mod to Mod.. they clearly wanted the Abbot raid to be an "Ueber Elite" experience.. thus the dev fury that people had found ways to avoid the puzzles, and this is ok as one of many places to go in the end-game. I am almost ready to try the abbot, and I'm curious to see how I do.. the difficulty is a siren calling to me..

Lorien_the_First_One
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Warcry.com has posted their experience with Module 6: The Thirteenth Eclipse!

Nice to see all the publicity, thanks to all on the Turbine Team involved in getting the word out.

ArkoHighStar
01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
It could still have 13 moons...... the 13th could be hidden are not seen by the naked eye.. similar to the Black moon in dragonlance... I know I read more on the 13th moon... It might have been in one of the novels though...

the 13 moons represent the 13 planes, when the giants ripped Dal Quor from its orbit so that the plane woudl always be distant and never co terminious the moon disappeared. The mechanism was discussed in The Dreaming Dark novels by Keith Baker, and ties into the Stormreaver Prophecy in DDO

WeaselKing
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
SURE, it comes out the day after i leave for florida with no ddo avalable (/death)

I will be in Georgia sharing your pain. If only my laptop wasn't Linux based. Arghhhhhh

moorewr
01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I will be in Georgia sharing your pain. If only my laptop wasn't Linux based. Arghhhhhh

Heh! I put Windows back on mine (dual-boot) for just this reason...

Taojeff
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM

/sigh

Eberron has 12 moons.

Once you flag for this raid, that is it, You can just do the raid over and over again.....no preraid, So I would say easier then twilight.

moorewr
01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Once you flag for this raid, that is it, You can just do the raid over and over again.....no preraid, So I would say easier then twilight.

Also, not to send MT back to English class, but since means, well, since. So if it is harder than Tempest Spine, but easier than anything since, then the statement is quite correct.

Ciaran
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Ah, okay - thanks for clarifying (correcting) about the different levels of playstyle. There I go being too literal again. :D

As for flagging - do you have to repeat this "tutorial" each time before you go into the Shroud?

moorewr
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Ah, okay - thanks for clarifying (correcting) about the different levels of playstyle. There I go being too literal again. :D

As for flagging - do you have to repeat this "tutorial" each time before you go into the Shroud?

I believe he meant the 5 quests for flagging are the "tutorial."

MysticTheurge
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Also, not to send MT back to English class, but since means, well, since. So if it is harder than Tempest Spine, but easier than anything since, then the statement is quite correct.

Uh yeah.

It seems like it's harder to flag for than Twilight Forge, to me. Hence, easiest since Twilight Forge, not easiest since Tempest Spine.

The no-preraid thing might tip the scales, for some people I suppose. For me, though, that's part of "the raid" and so I'd consider what you need to flag as "everything up to when you enter the Twilight Forge" not "everything up to when you enter the Titan Awakes." Thus TF with its three-quests-and-you're-flagged-forever system seems a bit easier than The Shroud with its five-quests-and-you're-flagged-forever system.

moorewr
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Uh yeah.

It seems like it's harder to flag for than Twilight Forge, to me. Hence, easiest since Twilight Forge, not easiest since Tempest Spine.

The no-preraid thing might tip the scales, for some people I suppose. For me, though, that's part of "the raid" and so I'd consider what you need to flag as "everything up to when you enter the Twilight Forge" not "everything up to when you enter the Titan Awakes." Thus TF with its three-quests-and-you're-flagged-forever system seems a bit easier than The Shroud with its five-quests-and-you're-flagged-forever system.

Ah, I see your point. When the school bus arrives tell the driver I said never mind. :)

dragnmoon
01-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Ummm ok....

This is what Kate said..

Kate: One of the things we’re really excited about in Module Six is the raid that is going to be introduced into the game. We’ve determined through player feedback that our gamers are really looking for an activity that is open to all levels and player types. Therefore the raid is going to be much more of a total experience rather than one singular fight that the characters take part in. There will be a variety of areas that you’ll fight through with a whole collection of mini-bosses that you will have to fight through.

As Steve mentioned, the Barbazu is going to be one of the lieutenants in the army and players will also encounter an Orthon as well, which is an incredibly brutish demon killer (the devils hate demons) and very tough to beat. Both of these lieutenants will be stepping stones on the way to the overall raid boss, which we’re trying to keep under wraps for the time being

That said, the whole raid is going to be a much bigger experience and will hopefully be open to a larger variety of players.The And here...open to all levels and player types.... Should have been a of...

I can see why Ciaran would think it the way he did.

Shade
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
hmm cool. I was thinking from the other review that the chain lightning property added to the green steel bow was just a boring clicky of chain lightning..

But from the sounds of this one, the lightning warhammer he made sounds like it procs chain lightning as an on-hit effect. Thats pretty cool, like cloudburst but better. (and a great way to get lotsa agro hehe)

Dirtkicker
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Warcry: "Arraetrikos at times will take flight and soar over you casting one of the new spells, Meteor Swarm. "

I dont see the Meteor Swarm spell on the list of new spells...Is this spell just for the new boss or are we getting more then the 12 spells DDO is advertising?

Oh please let it be a new spell... :D

Ratt

ArkoHighStar
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
hmm cool. I was thinking from the other review that the chain lightning property added to the green steel bow was just a boring clicky of chain lightning..

But from the sounds of this one, the lightning warhammer he made sounds like it procs chain lightning as an on-hit effect. Thats pretty cool, like cloudburst but better. (and a great way to get lotsa agro hehe)

looking at the weapon description when chain lightning was added, the charges bar was added so I doubt it is on hit

dragnmoon
01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Warcry: "Arraetrikos at times will take flight and soar over you casting one of the new spells, Meteor Swarm. "

I dont see the Meteor Swarm spell on the list of new spells...Is this spell just for the new boss or are we getting more then the 12 spells DDO is advertising?

Oh please let it be a new spell... :D

Ratt

Sorry.... 9th level spell... only the bad guys will have it until we can cast 9th level spells

Dirtkicker
01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry.... 9th level spell... only the bad guys will have it until we can cast 9th level spells

Yup, i realized right after my post that it was a 9th level spell. We will just have to do with....

Firestorm
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Clr 8
A storm causes an area to become shot through with sheets of roaring flame, causing 1d6 per caster level fire damage to targets in its area. (Max 20d6)

Ratt

Yajerman01
01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
FROM WARCRY
"Now I remember in my old Pen & Paper games, we always had to walk through a dungeon carrying a torch. This was a feature the developers always wanted to implement, well they grinded out the code and the content to make this happen and on enter the dungeon "Rainbow in the Dark" one member needs to carry a torch (well a scepter that has a light spell on it). I was the lucky one to pick up the scepter and off I went. Our party was fighting a group of rust monsters and I ran forward to fight the next one near me. All of the sudden I hear "Get back here! I can't see". Yep, I had gone too far with the light and our Wizard was in the dark. It was funny as all get out."

Okay whos got torch duty? lmao - that i think is just great - about time.

Angelus_dead
01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I was just under the impression that this raid was something that people of all different levels could partake
Different levels of players, not different levels of characters. What it means is that even if the players are not good enough to beat Arraestrikos, they can still beat part of the raid and get part of the raid loot. Its not like Abbot where unless you're insanely dedicated you get no reward at all.

DragonKiller
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Wait..... they said Butterflies...

Does this mean we get to play the Butterfly class?? SWWWEEETT!!! FINALY! We get FLY!!

:eek:

KaKa
01-28-2008, 04:57 PM

I really wouldn't say the easiest raid to get to since Tempest Spine. It is more like the Titan if you ask me. By saying Tempest Spine you have confused most of the community into believing they can just walk right up into the quest, in reality though it is more like if not exactly like the Titan.

Kraldor
01-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Module 6: The Thirteenth Eclipse is set to go live on January 30th.

Well that should shut up all the doomsayers (for now).

Ganak
01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
The review called it the best module update so far!

Grats on the great press!

Boulderun
01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
It sure would be nice if Warcry and similar sites would actually hire editors. This preview read like a 5th grade book report. :rolleyes:

Kisaragi
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
As quoted from this warcry article;

"This is some great news as players are sure to re-roll toons in Module 7 to try out the Monk class."

Please tell me this is not a mistake, or misinformation, or even a outright lie. If this were the case, and the rate we've been having updated, that would be mod 7 would be about 2 to 3 months from now. That's summer folks. I heard previously monks were slated for before the end of 08.

Can anyone confirm this?

Drider
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
As quoted from this warcry article;

"This is some great news as players are sure to re-roll toons in Module 7 to try out the Monk class."

Please tell me this is not a mistake, or misinformation, or even a outright lie. If this were the case, and the rate we've been having updated, that would be mod 7 would be about 2 to 3 months from now. That's summer folks. I heard previously monks were slated for before the end of 08.

Can anyone confirm this?

First.. 2 to 3 months isn't summer :P

2nd.. the devs have stated a couple times that monks were most likely coming in mod 7. Which technically is in before the end of 08... then again right now is before the end of 08. :)

raypal
01-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Min level 12 to get into the Vale to start with.....so no levels lower than that will be doing quests or the raid. At least that's how it is on Risia.

PhoenixFire31
01-29-2008, 05:58 AM
the 13 moons represent the 13 planes, when the giants ripped Dal Quor from its orbit so that the plane would always be distant and never co terminious the moon disappeared. The mechanism was discussed in The Dreaming Dark novels by Keith Baker, and ties into the Stormreaver Prophecy in DDO
The missing 13th can also refer to the Mark of Death. Which was thought to be wiped out by the elves and dragons until a young elf girl manifested it. I won't spoil the series for those reading it atm though. Good series. :D

barecm
01-29-2008, 06:57 AM
It sure would be nice if Warcry and similar sites would actually hire editors. This preview read like a 5th grade book report. :rolleyes:

All the good information was lost due to the poor grammar, punctuation and spelling. I often had to re-read sentences to try to figure out what was being said. Awful.

However, that is not Turbine's doing and I will take another opportunity to say great job on all the press. Definitely bringing a little buzz back to this game.

MysticTheurge
01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Which was thought to be wiped out by the elves and dragons until a young elf girl manifested it.

Boo. Not in my version of Eberron.

:mad:

Syrin
01-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Sounds like you have an excellent objective with this new mod. I wish you could invent a time machine and tell that to the people who designed the Abbot.

Ciaran
01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Ummm ok....

This is what Kate said..
The And here...open to all levels and player types.... Should have been a of...

I can see why Ciaran would think it the way he did.

That's from the Gamespy, article, isn't it? Could've been a typo on their part, but yes, that's exactly whatgave me the impression that it would be open to all levels.

Honestly, it makes more sense that it isn't though - with the gnashing of teeth that goes on about the lack of high level content making the new raid something that lower levels could participate in would also probably make it something higher levels couldn't or wouldn't run (like running my high levels through Cerulean Hills).

So does that mean that crafting items is only available to higher level characters? Does anybody know if there are any lowbie crafting recipies or is this prototype to crafting only for raid loot?

MysticTheurge
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
So does that mean that crafting items is only available to higher level characters? Does anybody know if there are any lowbie crafting recipies or is this prototype to crafting only for raid loot?

Well, there seem to be two sorts of crafting recipes. Raid recipes and regular recipes. (At least, that's my guess from what we've seen so far.)

I'd suspect the latter are more available to lower level characters.

Ciaran
01-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I believe he meant the 5 quests for flagging are the "tutorial."

Really? He said the flagging process was very easy and served as a kind of tutorial, which is not what I'd consider five CR 15-16 quests. Unless he meant easy as in "Once you run these five quests, that's it". Not sure how that could be a tutorial, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow evening!

Ciaran
01-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Well, there seem to be two sorts of crafting recipes. Raid recipes and regular recipes. (At least, that's my guess from what we've seen so far.)

I'd suspect the latter are more available to lower level characters.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Adamantine Ritual specifically for lower level characters but surely there's more than just adding the hardness and durability to items available to them?

Either way, I'm eagerly anticipating trying out these new recipies.

Raid loot is not able to be customized, correct?

MysticTheurge
01-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Really? He said the flagging process was very easy and served as a kind of tutorial, which is not what I'd consider five CR 15-16 quests. Unless he meant easy as in "Once you run these five quests, that's it". Not sure how that could be a tutorial, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow evening!

I believe once you finish the five quests, and get your little pieces of Shavarath whatever-they-are, you have to go to the Eldritch Device and "craft" something from them.

I think that's what he meant by "tutorial."

Ciaran
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I believe once you finish the five quests, and get your little pieces of Shavarath whatever-they-are, you have to go to the Eldritch Device and "craft" something from them.

I think that's what he meant by "tutorial."

Thanks, MT. That makes sense.

dragnmoon
01-29-2008, 09:22 AM

No worries... It was in a Novel... Novels are not always canon..

PhoenixFire31
01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

What that it was wiped out or that it exists still?:)

But yeah, everyones Eberron will be different. Mine does not include the reappearance of the mark.:D It is also a bit more psionic friendly than most people are used to.

MysticTheurge
01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
But yeah, everyones Eberron will be different. Mine does not include the reappearance of the mark.:D It is also a bit more psionic friendly than most people are used to.

I don't know. That sounds pretty close to mine. :D ;)