PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Author/Novel

Lost_Leader
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I am an avid reader. Primarily Sci-Fi and Fantasy books, but I'll dabble in other genres, as well. I have currently hit a wall on new material to absorb, and so I am looking for opinions on everyones favorite authors/books. Maybe I can find a new favorite. :D

My current Top 5 (they change depending on my mood):
1. Raymond Feist - Particularly his earlier books, The Riftwar Saga and the Tsuranuanni books.
2. George R.R. Martin - His "A Game of Thrones" series is brilliant. Can't wait for "A Dance of Dragons"
3. Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game and the sequels, primarily.
4. Clive Cussler - What can I say? I am a Dirk Pitt fan.
5. Dean Koontz - The Odd Thomas books are weird and fun. The dark, punny humor is hilarious and his imagery is unique and morbid.

So... what are your Top 5?

Oreg
01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Being reading alot of Bernard Cromwell lately. I really like his writing.

William Dietrich's - Scourge of God, Hadrian's Wall were both excellent.

I would have to say Stephen Lawhead is still one of my favorites.

Love Stephen Pressfield as well Gates of Fire, Killing Rommel , Afghan Campaign, Tides of War, Last of the Amazons etc

arminius
01-23-2008, 02:01 PM
This is a good site: http://www.shelfari.com/

You can list books you have read and or own or want to read or own, etc, and rate them, and recommend them and such. Kind of like Netflix but with your own books.

Oh, and I've been reading political books lately. I don't want to mention the titles or authors because they'd immediately start a fight.

_

ChaelaAnne
01-23-2008, 02:11 PM
My all time favorite author is Guy Gavriel Kay. His last two books are not my favorite of his. I would check out "The Lions of Al-Rasson" first. Can't recommend enough. (I MUCH prefer GG Kay over RR Martin.)

Aeneas
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
1. Robert Jordan's wheel of time series
2. Terry Brooks Shannara/Knight of the word series which are being merged sort of in his current series
3. Piers Anthony Xanth novels (loved these in middle school)
4. Michael Crichton - This man is genius and his writing embodies the importance of science fiction as an alternate and more enjoyable route to understanding some pretty heavy scientific information and its possible implications to our future.
5. Stephen King - yeah a predictable and played out choice, but the gunslinger series is super cool.

Kavel_Havae
01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Harry Turtledove - all the alternate history stuff is great.
Clive Cussler - I'm a NUMA fan too
Spider Robinson - Callahan's Series
Terry Pratchett - Disc Wold :D
Keith Baker - well he is the Eberron Dude!

Thermopyle
01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
nuf said.

oh a novel
Stephen R. Donaldson/ The Real Story.( gap series)

Arnya
01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
1 - Douglas Adams - 'Be like the twenty-second elephant with heated value in space; bark!'

2 - Anne McCafferey - 'To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven, Master Robinton'

3 - Terry Pratchett - 'Call heads or tails' 'Sides'

4 - JRR Tolkein - 'Stupid fat hobbit'

5 - George Lucas - 'You're a wonderful human being, Jabba'

Aerilyn
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
R.A. Salvator - Can I say Drizzt - Man you got to at least read Streams of Silver - This was the first one to be released of the now 13 or so books in this series, some are better than others and he has some other series that are just as good:)

Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman - The Dragon Lance Series is awesome

George R.R. Martin - Ya Game of Thrones Rocks

Ed Greenwood - If you are a Forgotten Realms Fan you will love his imagination

Michael Moorcock - Elric of Melnibone' - One of the Greatest High Fantasy Series of All Time

J.R.R. Tolkien - Enough Said but I am sure you have read this:)

Hiletroy
01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
1) Stephen R Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (first 2 trilogies and final trilogy in progress)
2) J.R.R. Tolkien - still the standard
3) Patricia McKillips - Riddlemaster of Hed
4) Eric Van Lustbader - Sunset Warrior Trilogy
5) Edgar Rice Burroughs - John Carter Warlord of Mars series

(among others....hehe)

BurnerD
01-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't even know where to begin... I'll give you a few to consider, some of them you probably have already read....

Glen Cook - Black Company FTW...

Robert Howard - If you've never read the original Conan stories, or any of his other works go getem. There have been several compilations released recently. I'm reading Crimson Shadows, which is a collection of his Weird Tales submissions, now.

Eldon Thompson - Legend of Ashreal Trilogy(sic) - Only two books out know I think.

Tim Waggoner - Ebberon Blades of Flame Series - Two books currently released.. interesting character set.

Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathon Stroud - Kinda Harry Potter like, but a good read.

Tim Lebbon - Dusk and dawn - Very gory, graphic dark fantasy.. decent storyline

Dennis McKiernan - His Mithgar books are pretty good.

Alan Dean Foster - Shadowkeep - This book is a starightforward DnD like classic fantasy novel. I really like this type of fantasy so it was a fun read for me. I'm kind of suprised at how few people have read it.

David Eddings - The Belgariad

Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat series

Ursala Leguin - Wizard of Earthsea

All D&D and Star Wars related books .. Rogue Squadron series amonst my favorites there

Lost_Leader
01-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Great Feedback! I am putting together a list for my next trip to the bookstore. While I have read many of the favs listed so far, there are a few that I have never heard of. The ones I have read would make my top 5 on another day, most likely. So many great authors out there.

And to you Stephen Donaldson Fans... Thermo-pile and Hiletroy, I too love the Gap and Thomas Covenant books, but my favorite of his are still the Mordant's Need duo: Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through. But all of his are good.

I like Robert Jordan, too, but he sure takes a long time to develop his story. It almost seemed like it started to get away from him a bit. I look forward to his son's interpretation of his final notes. Rest In Peace, Mr. Jordan.

Anne McCaffrey... love her. Pern books are great. Robinton is Iconic. I do enjoy her Pegasus and Freedom novels, as well. Acorna was.. meh. But Pern FTW.

BurnerD, I love some of the ones you listed. I haven't read Shadowkeep. It's now on my list. Thanks!

George Lucas... well he is classic, but I prefer some of the other Starwars books. Particularly the X-Wings.

I had never heard og G.G. Kay, but if his style is similar to Martin's, I am sure I will love him. Also on my list, and thanks!

Harry Turtledove is a great author. Another Alternate Earth that I really enjoy is Naomi Novik. The Temeraire Series is creative and unique.

BurnerD
01-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Great Feedback! I am putting together a list for my next trip to the bookstore. While I have read many of the favs listed so far, there are a few that I have never heard of. The ones I have read would make my top 5 on another day, most likely. So many great authors out there.

And to you Stephen Donaldson Fans... Thermo-pile and Hiletroy, I too love the Gap and Thomas Covenant books, but my favorite of his are still the Mordant's Need duo: Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through. But all of his are good.

I like Robert Jordan, too, but he sure takes a long time to develop his story. It almost seemed like it started to get away from him a bit. I look forward to his son's interpretation of his final notes. Rest In Peace, Mr. Jordan.

Anne McCaffrey... love her. Pern books are great. Robinton is Iconic. I do enjoy her Pegasus and Freedom novels, as well. Acorna was.. meh. But Pern FTW.

BurnerD, I love some of the ones you listed. I haven't read Shadowkeep. It's now on my list. Thanks!

George Lucas... well he is classic, but I prefer some of the other Starwars books. Particularly the X-Wings.

I had never heard og G.G. Kay, but if his style is similar to Martin's, I am sure I will love him. Also on my list, and thanks!

Harry Turtledove is a great author. Another Alternate Earth that I really enjoy is Naomi Novik. The Temeraire Series is creative and unique.

Hope you like em... Like I said I am more of a classic fantasy reader.. I like the hero type, dungeon crawling stories. Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara is my idea of a perfect fantasy story.. as are the Tolkein Books. Shadowkeep can be finished in a weekend and is just a fun read. I will add more authors as I think of them.

rpasell
01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
I've read many of the above mentioned authors, and like many of them as well, Jordan, Pratchett, Adams, Eddings and Martin are all really good.

Also check out Terry Goodkind.

My favorite wasn't mentioned though Steven Brust http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Brust. Something about his protagonist Vlad Taltos that I find particularly appealing.

Tanka
01-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I'd suggest every fan of Sci-Fi OR Fantasy ready Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover. Assuming you can find it. It's out of print and apparently very rare. Well, well worth the read, however.

mgoldb2
01-28-2008, 11:31 PM
In no order

Steven Brust (His vlado taltos series)
Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's series)
Ra Salvatore (I put this here since from 1992-2002 he was my favorite aurthor but I personally completely lost interest in him last few years. Did not like hunter trilogy at all)

I finally started reading a game of thornes after so many people told me it so great but not far enough to make judgements yet.

R.A. Salvator - Can I say Drizzt - Man you got to at least read Streams of Silver - This was the first one to be released of the now 13 or so books in this series, some are better than others and he has some other series that are just as good.

Crystal Shard was the first one, streams of silver was secound book.

Pellegro
01-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Pk ****

EDIT: Grrr ... Philip K. Di(k

Lithic
01-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Books I can almost recite:

1) Ender's game (The sequals/prequals were decent, but too many inconsistencies between the books really ruined them. Its like Card either forgot to reread his old books before writing new ones, or he decided to change his world's history)

2) Battlefield Earth (The book the movie was based on, not the book based on the movie based on the screenplay based on the book). I love postapocalyptic stuff.

3) Fossil hunter/Farseer/Foreigner (gotta love intelligent Dino's)

4) Old Drizzt trilogy (though I find Salvatore's Superhuman characters trying for the most part, especially the rest of the drizzt saga)

WeaselKing
01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman-all their stuff not just Dragonlance

Robert Jordan

Frank Herbert as well as Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson to some extent

GuitarHero
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Brian Jacques (pronounced Jakes, not Jock-quiz) and his Redwall series. I've read these since i was in elementary school! His early books in the series he was testing the waters, and his later books he seems to have gotten into a rutt, but his middle books are where the stories really grip you. Each book draws on similar locations and lore, though you don't have to read them in order, or even have read any previous books, to get into them. You don't have to know that the Matthias and Methusila Bells were named after a great hero and a great scholar, respectively, to know that they are ringing. Knowing that Martin the Warrior was a great hero of yore is enough, without having read his stories and struggles. He uses personification, similar to Wind and the Willows, which may cause some scepticts to shy away, but after reading Long Patrol or Marlfox, you can see that they aren't your frollic in the woods kind of woodland creatures.

Nevthial
01-29-2008, 12:16 AM
1. Robert A. Heinlein : ALL of his works, can't pick just one
2. Frank Herbert : The entire DUNE series & The Jesus Incident
3. Rudyard Kipling : With the Night Mail
4. George Orwell : 1984
5. Barry Sadler : Casca: the eternal mercenary

captain1z
01-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I came to this thread expecting there to be pages of R.A. Salvatore fans and sadly found 1/2 a fan

Show some love.

- R.A. Salvatore = Drizzt

but for completeness sake I also read

- any conan books Robert Jordan has a lot of space on my shelf

- older star wars books (new stuff seems empty and lacks respect for older characters and without humor)

- Laura K. Hamilton - I am really enjoying the the Anita Blake series. For a fresh look at the preternatural in modern day america I cant recommend a better book(s). Start out with The Laughing Corpse if you just want a taste.

geoffhanna
01-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Masters who shaped everything that came after them:

Isaac Asimov - any of a hundred but the Foundation series set standards for an entire genre
JRR Tolkien - Lord of the Rings is the perfect fantasy story
Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light, the Amber series, many others

Thinkers who stretch reality in ways that hurt but also enlighten

Phiilip K. **** - any, but you'll recognize the Bladerunner in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Joe Haldeman - Forever War
William Gibson - Neuromancer

Meaty reads that satisfy yet leave you wishing there was more

Glen Cook - Black Company series
David Weber - Honor Harrington series
Fred Saberhagen - Book of Swords (and Lost Swords) series

Characters you come to love

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (Fritz Leiber)
Harold Shea (L. Sprague DeCamp and Fletcher Pratt)
Garrett, P.I. (Glen Cook)

I don't know where to stop this list. I guess here. For now. But there is so much more...

[EDIT] Phillip K.'s last name can't be written here apparently but is short for Richard.

death_smurf
01-29-2008, 01:03 AM
wow ddo forums and not one person has listed gygax and the "Gord the rogue series" even though they are old as hell i remember the story lines from them as if it were yesterday.

beyond that i would say the Xanth was a blast to read as a kid
Piers Anthony incantions of the imortals series was really good
Terry brooks Shannarra series rocked
also forgot author but Tantras Waterdeep etc was a great series of books(elmister is a pimp mofo)

QuantumFX
01-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Kreeg,
Not in any particular order just stuff I thought you'd like.

Fantasy and SciFi...

Star Trek New Frontier by Peter David - Quick reads but I know you'll appreciate his sense of humor.
Any Star Wars Novel by Timothy Zahn - The only Star Wars writer that actually catches the feel of the original Star Wars. It's also pretty amusing to read his revenge on all the bad Star Wars writers by using their creations in a much better fashion than they used his.
The Wild Cards series of books

If you want to go outside the genre...

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay - Ummmm Damn...
Just about anything by Elmore Leonard

Lithic
01-29-2008, 01:17 AM
...)

Gotta agree with you there. If you liked "On a Pale Horse" you might want to check out the TV series "Dead Like Me"
Its based on a similar concept, and I really enjoyed it (too bad they only made 2 seasons).

As for his Xanth things, I started out liking them, but got really sick of the puns around the 10th book. Read up to 13 I think, then gave up.

Dariuss
01-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Any Star Wars Novel by Timothy Zahn - The only Star Wars writer that actually catches the feel of the original Star Wars. It's also pretty amusing to read his revenge on all the bad Star Wars writers by using their creations in a much better fashion than they used his.

gotta agree 100% there

thrawn is definitely one of the best star wars characters ever, nay, one of the best characters ever.

superjubei
01-29-2008, 03:12 AM
robin hobb

Uska
01-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Ok hmm lets see

1. The Black company(Glen Cook)
2. Shadows Linger(Glen Cook)
3. The White Rose(Glen Cook)
4. The Empire of the East(Fred Saberhagen)
5. Bored of the Rings(not sure who wrote it)

Uska
01-29-2008, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE=geoffhanna;1537116]Masters who shaped everything that came after them:

Glen Cook - Black Company series
David Weber - Honor Harrington series
Fred Saberhagen - Book of Swords (and Lost Swords) series

If you liked the book of swords series need to read the prequels which were combined into one book called the Empire of the East. First appearance of the Beast Lord Draffutt. and some other characters as well

BurnerD
01-29-2008, 06:09 AM
wow ddo forums and not one person has listed gygax and the "Gord the rogue series" even though they are old as hell i remember the story lines from them as if it were yesterday.

beyond that i would say the Xanth was a blast to read as a kid
Terry brooks Shannarra series rocked
also forgot author but Tantras Waterdeep etc was a great series of books(elmister is a pimp mofo)

Gord the Rogue... I still have all of these and just lumped em in with the rest of my D&D books.... they were a fun read. I may have to pull em out again.

Riorik
01-29-2008, 07:09 AM
My personal favorites list would be:

David Weber - I started on the Starfire Series (With Steve White) years ago because I owned the game - moved on to his Honor Harrington series and loved it...later books are different from the earlier. Even the Mutineer's Moon Series is good.
L.E. Modesitt, Jr - Many Books - First was "Hammer of Darkness" which fed me into many other series - Loved "Forever Hero" - wasn't quite so interested in that sorceress series but I did read most of the Order/Chaos Stuff.
Larry Niven - Ringworld & Kzin

Now, here is where you're going to want to have my love children.
Go to www.baen.com - go to the Free Library and go READ some full novels for free and see if you actually like and enjoy the author. Jim Baen took a stand years ago that you never hear somebody who's read a book, didn't like it, but handed it to a friend to read...it's always the good books that people loaned by hand....how is this any different from (file sharing) sharing books online?
So he and his authors put a lot of their works online for free (some entire books, many partials...first few chapters)...according to his website, his sales of the authors involved soared...so you know how the RIAA is suing everyone for file sharing? Baen books has a working business model for entertainment media that involves the opposite and it's highly successful...

Anyways, go to www.baen.com and look.

Reviewing Others:
Raymond E. Feist - Loved his material, it did start to get old after 6 or 7 books
George R.R. Martin - Good Author
Orson Scott Card - Loved the Ender books - some other decent ones
Robert Jordan - Loved the series, but got bored somewhere around book 8 or so - they grew in length, added more plot, and now he's dead with an unfinished series. Frankly, it was about churning out books and not finishing the story.
Terry Brooks - He's written more than merely Shannarra - there's always his "Magic Kingdon For Sale/Sold" - cute
Piers Anthony - He's also written the "Cluster Series" which I thorougly enjoyed
Harry Turtledove - Read a few of his series
J.R.R. Tolken - I'm one of those guys that didn't bother to re-read the books when the movie came out and that can off the cuff, 20 years after my last re-read, spout off portions of the Silmarillion...I found the books boring although in my younger days I read and re-read them many times
Ann McCaffrey - Liked the first few Pern Books (read in 80's) but got bored - not sure why
Douglas Adamns - If you don't know what '42' is, you have to read his series
R.A. Salvatore - Read a few of his books - always a decent read
Weiss & Hickman - Got bored
Michael Moorcock - not sure why I've only ready a couple of his books - digging up the Elric saga and reading it for the first thing was something I always wanted to do
Stephen R Donaldon - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (The Unbeliever) - Awesome but the series slows down and drags on towards the end. You'll love the first 4-5 books, but you'll trudge thru to the 6th.
Patricia McKillips - Decent Books
Alan Dean Foster - He also wrote the Flinx series - Fun & enjoyable
Harry Harrison - Read a couple other than just the Rat series - good author
Ursula Leguin - Loved Earthsea (not that movie ****), disliked Left Hand of Darkness
L. Ron Hubbard - & Battlefield Earth - Great Book (not the movie) - this was back before L. Ron went batty and Pyramid Scheme on us...even read about half the books of the Mission Earth series (back in the 80's when they were still coming out) before all the corny jokes got to em and I made a choice to discontinue reading.
Frank Herbert - Dune was awesome - first three rocked, next couple were decent - got bored and the story lost quality as it progressed with other authors writing them
Isaac Asimov - Used to read some of the magazine's he edited - gave me outstanding ideas for new authors to read, pretty sure he put me onto Zelazny, among others.
Fred Saberhagen - He also did the Berserker Series - the one about the Von Turing Machines (self-replicating AI's that are out to destroy humanity...space genre) and the Empire of the East (which Uska mentioned)
(like a few others that geoffhanna wrote but not going to comment on all)

Prinstoni
01-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Haunted Mesa-Louis L'Amour. The Haunted Mesa draws on Louis L'Amour's extensive knowledge of Indian lore and mysticism. In this extraordinary book L'Amour tells a tale of epic adventure that takes his readers across the most extraordinary frontier they have ever encountered.

Kreaper
01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
A.A.Attanasio. Most of his books are fantasy but my favorite is a scifi/fantasy titled Radix.

Attomic
01-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Heinlein - any book, any time.
Jordan - Wheel of Time (PS all his notes and such were assembled before his death, and Harriet's working with a handpicked author to put it all together for A Memory of Light. Keep your fingers crossed.)
Pratchett - the Discworld series. Fun reading every time.

But my current fave author is:
Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files and Codex Alera, both series. I liked them so much I badgered my way into becoming a beta reader for the guy. Urban fantasy (used to dislike the genre until I met Harry Dresden; now I re-read TDF for my dose of wit and snark) and high fantasy, respectively. I HIGHLY recommend both series.

PhoenixFire31
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
SO I decided to post up these pic to show you 1/10th of the books I have. These are my favorites. :D

If I had to point out some of my most favorites...my Dark Sun novels (Sorak's stories), Drizzt books (have the new one signed :D), Death Gate Cycle (I love Haplo), All books containing Ervis Cale, Hadassah and Rachel & Leah (Orson Scott Card did this one), The Sight, Fell, Firebringer (those 3 are by David Clemment-Davis), Hitchhikers Guide...and the list goes on. Anyway here are the pics.
EDIT: Oh, I forgot my Nightside books by Simon R Green are on loan as is my Dexter books. :)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/Kivari/100_0248.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/Kivari/100_0249.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/Kivari/100_0250.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/Kivari/100_0251.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/Kivari/100_0252.jpg

Jaywade
02-01-2008, 04:41 PM
R.A. Salvator... I've read every one of his books, love how he writes swordplay.

arcanehealer
02-01-2008, 04:43 PM

1. J.R.R TOLKIEN - no need to explain this one
2. J.K. ROWLING - love the harry potter series
3. CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI (think thats how its spelled) - love the eragon/eldest/coming in september/mesteriously (sp) announced 4th book
4. MARGARET WEIS & TRACY HICKMAN - i just love all of their books
5. many authors - EBERRON The Inquisitives (takes place in eberron setting[no stormreach{yet}])

Aesop
02-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I'll list a couple

George R.R. Martin: A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best series I've ever read, if not the best.

Jim Butcher: Alera Codex is thuroughly addicting and engaging more so than his Dresden Files series... though that one is fun too

Kelly Armstrong
Kim Harrison

I like there books to a more modern fantasy set. Heck I read Laurell K hamilton too... I got addicted to the Anita Blake series a while ago but its starting to become a little... over the top... the Fairy Porn series is funny but started over the top and just kept going

J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter series will go down in history as one of the most successful series ever... and its actually pretty good

oh and if anyone hasn't read Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Jesus' Childhood Pal... you are seriously missing out he has some other really good ones too... like Practicle Demon Keeping and Bloodsucking Fiends

Aesop

Brutous
02-01-2008, 05:07 PM
TH Laine

Dexxaan
02-01-2008, 05:10 PM
By far my favorite: Michael Moorcock - Elric of Melnibone (6 book - Series)

Then Rob Salvatore - Crystal Shard-Streams of Silver and Halflings Gem

Catlyn
02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
No one favorite author. I have read most of the one listed so far in this thread.

A couple did stand out as not being listed yet

Whyte - The Skystone Series - Alternate story of the beginnings of King Aurther. Good read, big books, lots of characters. Many portions make you almost go "Hmm, that could have happened"

Rosenberg - Guardians of the Flame - Come on, we are all geeks here, who didn't dream of this happening to them at one point in time or another.

Elliot - Price of dogs or whatever it is called - started out okay, but dragged too much imho.

I am trying to remember, but I literally have hundreds of books at home and stuck at work trying to finish out the day. Those popped into mind.

ChaelaAnne
02-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Heinlein - any book, any time.
Jordan - Wheel of Time (PS all his notes and such were assembled before his death, and Harriet's working with a handpicked author to put it all together for A Memory of Light. Keep your fingers crossed.)
Pratchett - the Discworld series. Fun reading every time.

But my current fave author is:
Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files and Codex Alera, both series. I liked them so much I badgered my way into becoming a beta reader for the guy. Urban fantasy (used to dislike the genre until I met Harry Dresden; now I re-read TDF for my dose of wit and snark) and high fantasy, respectively. I HIGHLY recommend both series.

Arg, the guy at my local movie store got me hooked on the TV show for Dresden Files, so now I have to read the books eventually. One of these days.

Daegyl
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd suggest every fan of Sci-Fi OR Fantasy ready Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover. Assuming you can find it. It's out of print and apparently very rare. Well, well worth the read, however.

You are so right, Tanka. You ever pick up the sequel, Blade of Tyshalle? It actually goes into the origins of Cain. He also has another set of books, Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon which are awesome as well. I discovered Stover completely at random. I picked Heroes Die up on a whim. I just felt like trying out someone other than the typical fantasy giants, and was rewarded with one of the most kicka** reads I can think of. I can only describe Stover as The Neal Stephensen of Fantasy. And if you don't know who Neal Stephensen is (I can't imagine how), then add him to your list of must-read authors. Snow Crash is THE cyber-punk novel of all time. The friggin' antagonist has a thermonuclear bomb strapped to his Harley set to detonate if he dies. Ya.. go ahead and beat that for bada**.

If you're sick of the happy-go-lucky, high adventure garbage try those two guys out. Other authors I thoroughly enjoy are: George R.R. Martin creates the best intricate cloak and dagger story out there with his Fire and Ice series. David Gemmell creates (created.. he died unfortunately) the most memorable anti-hero characters around (Druss, Waylander, Jaim, Rage, Bane... hell, there's too many of them).

I'm not arguing against the talent of any other authors that people have mentioned. I've read many of them as well (Salvatore, Tolkien, Brooks, Jordan, Howard). Not bringing up a competition here.. just saying, if you haven't read Stover, Gemmell, Martin, or Stephensen then you're really missing out on some seriously kickin', adult, sci/fi-fantasy stories.

Oh ya.. I just noticed Catlyn mention Whyte's Skystone series. If you want a reason to believe that King Arthur and Excalibur truly existed, then read this series. Not T.H. White's The Once and Future King... as memorable as it might be, it doesn't hold a candle to JACK Whyte's recounting of the origin of King Arthur. Weird coincedence that their names are similar, I know. But their style is completely different. Whyte's story takes you back to the Roman rule of Britain, and follows the ancestors of Arthur in a very believable tale as to how his kingdom came to be, how Excalibur was forged, and even the mystical power of Merlin. Very very very... VERY good series that is often ignored because Arthurian stories are typically so bleh..

Tanka
02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
You are so right, Tanka. You ever pick up the sequel, Blade of Tyshalle? It actually goes into the origins of Cain. He also has another set of books, Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon which are awesome as well. I discovered Stover completely at random. I picked Heroes Die up on a whim. I just felt like trying out someone other than the typical fantasy giants, and was rewarded with one of the most kicka** reads I can think of.
Yeah, I actually managed to find Blade as a trade paperback on half.com for $6. Most other places were listing at a minimum of $25 for a paperback.

Iron Dawn came into where I work (Half Price Books), but the coworker who introduced me to Stover nabbed it up before I managed to get my hands on it. :(

yoyorobbo
02-11-2008, 01:00 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/Kivari/100_0248.jpg

Hey I noticed the Lisa Smedman "Lady Penitent" series there on your shelf....man I loved the first book "Sacrifice of the Widow", and have the 2nd "Storm of the Dead" on the nightstand...along with about 3 or 4 others...ugh! How'd you like those two?

Also finishing up "The Cleric Quintet" (Salvatore)...on the last book, and in the middle of "Thud!" (Pratchett), and for some strange reason started up one of the new Doctor Who BBC novels "Forever Autumn"...err something....hehe....man I need to finish one and be done with it, eh? Oh and I'm dying to start this new Richard Lee Byers series - the first book is "Unclean"....lovethe creepy necromancer stuff...hehe.

At any rate, I dig any and all of the following:

- Salvatore - any and all (Homeland was my fave though)
- Weiss/Hickman - Dragonlance series (Dragons of and Twins series the best, IMO...the filler tales are good too....Dwarven Depths and Skies?)
- Gygax - Gord series....ahhh the memories
- Pratchett - recently got re-aquainted with these gems by a DDO bud (yoyoyoyo!)..."Going Postal" flat out rocks!
- Howard - great reads, Conan, Kane, Kull, etc..Solomon Kane's my fave here - great compilation out now.

Tons more, but those come to mind now.

Azure83
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
I change favorites depending on my mood and whether they maintain the quality of their writing. I used to really enjoy Laurell K. Hamilton and her witty, independent character Anita Blake. Then, Anita got involved with all these different men(not that men are a bad thing).It became sort of a soft core porn read over time, and all the original charm was lost.
Right now, my favorite author is Simon R. Green. Especially those which feature the "Nightside."

brshelton
02-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Being reading alot of Bernard Cromwell lately. I really like his writing.

William Dietrich's - Scourge of God, Hadrian's Wall were both excellent.

I would have to say Stephen Lawhead is still one of my favorites.

Love Stephen Pressfield as well Gates of Fire, Killing Rommel , Afghan Campaign, Tides of War, Last of the Amazons etc

thatd be Cornwell and his books are great. I'm more into his Middle Ages ones like an Archer's Tale, Heretic, etc.

brshelton
02-20-2008, 09:00 PM
By far my favorite: Michael Moorcock - Elric of Melnibone (6 book - Series)

Then Rob Salvatore - Crystal Shard-Streams of Silver and Halflings Gem

how cliche RA Salvatore :P

kaelis
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I read alot... i mean alot. :P
favourite series/authors:
1. Terry Goodkinds Sword of truth (recently concluded in an 11 book series)-- a little brutal towards the end but still amazing
2. Steven Erikson's Malazan tale book's of the fallen, on book 6 or 7 now, first few very good, rest not so attention grabbing, very cynical and not for those who don't love a good horror in their fanasty.
3. Robert Jordan Wheel of time, wonderful for the first 5, afterwards it slides a bit but still many other books do not even compare.
4.George R R Martin, and A Song of Ice and Fire, loved them all each better than the last, only problem is, he is not into the new trend of spitting out a book a year or every few months, each one is a master piece and he takes time to be sure it is so.
5. R.A Salvatore still a classic ^^
My ultimate book listing of all time, to date.

The10man
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
R.A. Salvator - Can I say Drizzt - Man you got to at least read Streams of Silver - This was the first one to be released of the now 13 or so books in this series, some are better than others and he has some other series that are just as good:)

George R.R. Martin - Ya Game of Thrones Rocks

Ed Greenwood - If you are a Forgotten Realms Fan you will love his imagination

Michael Moorcock - Elric of Melnibone' - One of the Greatest High Fantasy Series of All Time

The new drizzt book is awesome just read the hardback in like two days. Also check out weis's solo works waiting for her and tracy's new book, her solo book, and drizzt book releasing may, june, and july this year none too soon for me. The only one on this list I haven't read is the elric series but I will now.

Farrier
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Being older than dirt, I can and will say that I have read most of the books listed here and if not every book, certainly many by every author listed.

I read over the thread rather quickly because I came online to play and didn't want to get sidetracked too far... I was surprised that Tad Williams was not even mentioned.

His original Green Angel Tower Trilogy to the present ShadowMarch Trilogy (3rd book in progress) with the Otherland (Goggle-boy) series in between. His works are every bit as good as any others mentioned here (with the possible exception of Tolkien out of respect). Definitely worth the reading.

And if you ever really want to read Victorian-style fantasy I would recommend William Blake (yes, he also invented the reclining chair) The Well at World's End and other books and William Hope Hodgson's The Nightland. Both of these authors predate Tolkien and, though they use flowery English prose in style, are interesting reads that have contributed heavily to the fantasy genre.

Sometime when I am not so focused on getting to the game, maybe I'll come on an list all of the books I have read in SF and Fantasy. Let me just say that my "library" would dwarf the one pictured above... meaning - you are not alone

Farrier

~Jules921
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Its impossible. Well ok let me try

1. Mercedes Lackey - Everything by her is fabulous - especially the Velgarth series those I can read and re-read and have done so.
2. Elizabeth Moon - Very nice Sci Fi writer with a definate military bent and it shows in her style. Her Vatta series is great
3. Suzanne Brockmann - Yes I have included a romance writer - her guys are sooo hot.
4. Anne McCaffrey - Pern series is my favorite from her.
5. CJ Cherryh - not everything by her - but some very memorable books

Honorable mentions: Tom Clancey (books actually written by him like the Jack Ryan books - not his serial trash)
John Grishom - just when he get formula like he changes it up and his writing gets fresh again.
Terry Brooks - didn't care for the word series or the tinderbox either, but Shanara I love
Anne Rice - vampire series
Robert Harris - only read 2 of his but as far as historical fiction some of the best imho
Colleen McCullough her series on Cesear was also very good - again historical fiction
Jude Deveraux - another romance writer - also very good
C.E. Murphy - fairly new but enjoying her lead character in the Walker series

Jules

Illuminati
02-22-2008, 06:41 AM
I can remember the first book I read. It was in the 80's and was the Dragon Lance series. I can't believe its been 25 years!

Anyway, I have read most of the stuff listed here but if you wan't a good change the 'New Jedi Order' series (started by R.A. Salvatore, with Troy Denning and others later) for Star Wars is a good series.