PDA

View Full Version : mob SR

kingfisher
01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
why is it so hard for mobs to save vs spells? how come the class based mobs don't have fire resist, etc.? or do they and it just doesn't work well enough?

parvo
01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
1) In today's MMO, every player must be insanely overpowering. Otherwise the game isn't fun. What fun would it be if average monsters were a challenge?

2) You would think after being firewalled for the one billionth time, intelligent spellcasters would keep some resist up. Of course by the time they even know were on them, they are pushing up daisies. Caster AI is screwed up right now but most folks haven't noticed. Enemy casters don't live long enough to demonstrate intelligence.

3) When Turbine announced enemy mobs would be getting metamagic feats (to improve thier spells) there was a hideous outcry by the gamers. Fearing they would be forced to use tactics beyond zerg-n-heal/firewall, the entire subscription base threatened to quit.

llevenbaxx
01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Many mobs do use resists or prot from energy. They are the same ones available to us though, we cut through their resists and blow through their protects so fast still. A couple extra seconds are all these things buy them.

Far as SR goes, I think its right about where it should be. I have a wiz14 and a wiz11/rog3, both have various spell penetration feats/enhancements/items but while my wiz14 almost will always cut through it, my wiz11/rog3 much more often will see that little blue shield pop up while on elite. I think SR will be a whole new thing to contend with in the new mod, those who never bothered bulstering their means to penetrate SR will be scrambling to do so. Time will tell.

EinarMal
01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
The problem is DDO reduced by far the power of spell resistance. It is supposed to apply to far more spells including damage spells and they also eliminated touch attack rolls on ray spells.

So a spell like disintigrate is supposed to use SR, and requires a touch attack roll, in DDO it doesn't require either of those. So against mobs that do have SR, you simply use a damage spell and no resistance spell works against distintigrate nor do most have resistance to every element.

So essentially DDO took away a lot of the balance built into PnP hence the dominance of casters.

kingfisher
01-22-2008, 12:28 PM
hope so. i enjoy ddo because of the party based adventuring/exploring and the whole team concept of 'ok you two get their attention while she handles the crowd contol so the sneak can take out the caster as the rest of us.....' it just seems more DnD like to need at least 4 different entities in a party working together to survive/win.

Impaqt
01-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Mobs do indeed have Protection and Resists...

Of course, why would we notice a 150 pt Fire Protect and a 30 Point FIre resist when they just got slammed with a 1500pt Scorching ray?

MysticTheurge
01-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Of course, why would we notice a 150 pt Fire Protect and a 30 Point FIre resist when they just got slammed with a 1500pt Scorching ray?

Well they could pull the same "fast one" they pulled with Mobs and Healing spells and have resists and protects work better for NPCs than for PCs. But I think there'd be a lot of complaining.

My question is why don't enemy casters spawn with a few minute per level buffs already up? I mean, if I heard there were some big bad adventurers invading my lair/castle/fort/town/encampment I'd start casting my long-lasting buffs ASAP. I certainly wouldn't stand around with my finger up my nose until they finally showed up and then start buffing myself.