PDA

View Full Version : disintegrate vs. mantle of invulnerability

jkm
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
i've been trying unsuccessfully to figure out the combination that causes MOI to block disintegrate. it seems to be related to MOI blocking lower level spells at the same time disintegrate hits. however, this isn't necessarily true as it still doesn't do damage to lailat when all the firewalls burn out.

yes, i have bug reported it, but i find that normally fixes happen quicker if you figure out exactly what is causing the problem.

history: currently MOI blocks disintegrate around 40% of the time.

edit: just had a thought

it may be related to the boss saving and having special DR to magic of higher than 100

Strakeln
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
This must be why those scrolls did nothing for me! I never expected them to succeed the roll, but I was expecting that 35 or so points to pop up...

jkm
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
eh, my thought doesn't really work out as the mantle shield pops up which it shouldn't on a 6th level spell.

jkm
01-24-2008, 08:59 AM
this seems to be related to the pass-through another player bug. i'll wait til the next mod and do more testing, but it seems that we are currently blasting holes in the ceiling (though it does appear to go to the target)

Issip
01-24-2008, 05:44 PM
When I have noticed this (Abott and Queen Lailat) it sure seemed to be spell resistance occassionally blocking dissentigrate (which it should not but seems to). You can dissentigrate Queen Lailat before she puts on her mantle and see the same effect.

The dissentigrate does not miss the target - you hit, but just get a blue shield flash (like as spell resistance but it looks more like a shield spell).

Issip

GlassCannon
01-25-2008, 03:26 AM
This bug forced me to use Fire spells on the Demon Queen when we did the raid on Elite instead of Dis for her final aspect. I launched DBFs at her, and managed to steal the kill.

King Raiyum and Queen Lailat both block Disentigrate for a full invulnerability during certain instances. The effect is random and lasts the entire instance.

Soul-Shaker
01-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Its not a bug with mantle. The bosses that take no dmg on disint are queen and raiyum. When they save on a disint, they just dont take any dmg compared to other mobs.

This must be why those scrolls did nothing for me! I never expected them to succeed the roll, but I was expecting that 35 or so points to pop up...

Which is exactly why scrolls rarely do dmg :)

Borror0
01-25-2008, 04:51 AM
When they save on a disint, they just dont take any dmg compared to other mobs.

How is that any logical?

Strakeln
01-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Its not a bug with mantle. The bosses that take no dmg on disint are queen and raiyum. When they save on a disint, they just dont take any dmg compared to other mobs.

Which is exactly why scrolls rarely do dmg :)Well, while it is certainly obvious that the Abbott didn't take damage, it still sounds like a bug... what, do they have the equivalent of improved evasion for fortitiude saves? :p

kruggar
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
they have a resistance to magic dmg i think

jkm
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
if that were the case, wouldn't we get a 0 float up?

Shade
01-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, while it is certainly obvious that the Abbott didn't take damage, it still sounds like a bug... what, do they have the equivalent of improved evasion for fortitiude saves? :p

Whats interesting about the abbot is he doesn't have a fortitude save at all. (Undead have 0 con so usually low fortitude save, but some have none at all like the abbot)

Anytime you cast a fortitude save spell it will land 100% of the time. I often use symbol of pain on him - and it lands 100% of the time. Even after 40+ casts it has never been resisted. And before the abbot updated - disintegrate has also never failed on him - on probably 100+ casts.

What could be used to explain his distegrates resist is just a weird graphic showing he resisted the attack, rater then the proper white damage. Tho even that doesn't explain why you see nothing in the combat log.

Nor does it explain why the demon queen does the same thing - she does have a fortitude save, and a high one at that.

jkm
01-25-2008, 11:11 AM
after thinking on the whole magic DR, it just doesn't hold weight. when disintegrate does land it does full damage, if he had some DR to magic, it would show when it hits. the problem is it either hits or poof nothing. nothing in the combat log except maybe the irritating Spell Crit! Your Disintegrate has greater effect! followed by nothing.

if you get a clear shot with nothing between you and the mantle, you can for the most part get it to hit. you also get good results if you do the cast at the top of the jump trick.

Soul-Shaker
01-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, while it is certainly obvious that the Abbott didn't take damage, it still sounds like a bug... what, do they have the equivalent of improved evasion for fortitiude saves? :p

Im guessing so just for those 2 mobs(not sure about abbot). Easiest way to prove me wrong is give me a white dmg(saved) dmg from disint on wizking/dq2.

GlassCannon
01-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Im guessing so just for those 2 mobs(not sure about abbot). Easiest way to prove me wrong is give me a white dmg(saved) dmg from disint on wizking/dq2.

The problem is, despite the graphic ray clearly smashing dead into their face, they take no damage, and it's as if the spell was never cast, but you still lose the SP.

I want our Dis to be like Enervate from a Beholder: Instant. We click, it happens. No ray, nothing to dodge, simply *BANG!* there it is.

Soul-Shaker
01-26-2008, 04:17 AM
The problem is, despite the graphic ray clearly smashing dead into their face, they take no damage, and it's as if the spell was never cast, but you still lose the SP.

I want our Dis to be like Enervate from a Beholder: Instant. We click, it happens. No ray, nothing to dodge, simply *BANG!* there it is.

Which is why Im saying they have a special ability that ignores the dmg of disint on a successful save(which must come with mantle). But what Im really getting at is if its effecting disint that they save on, that dmg isnt significant enough to worry much about it. I rarely have that problem with Disint on Wizking basically because I have a 29 dc on disint but rarely get a scroll through(shield animation pops up and no dmg) which only has a dc of 19(10+3cha+6spell).

jkm
01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Which is why Im saying they have a special ability that ignores the dmg of disint on a successful save(which must come with mantle). But what Im really getting at is if its effecting disint that they save on, that dmg isnt significant enough to worry much about it. I rarely have that problem with Disint on Wizking basically because I have a 29 dc on disint but rarely get a scroll through(shield animation pops up and no dmg) which only has a dc of 19(10+3cha+6spell).

a save on a max'd emp'd disintegrate crit is 130 points of damage. that's more than you'd get off of a scroll where he fails the save...