PDA

View Full Version : Monster Summoning Issues/Questions

key
01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love using MS it's gotten me out a few tight spots.
But why are supposedly GOOD aligned characters summoning fiendish/evil creatures?
You figure that those with Good alignment would summon like creatures (i.e.Celestial animals(other than just the dog) Major Celestials like Archons or Guardinals or Good aligned elemental beings like the Djinn.)
I can understand if theres a coding issue, but can MS be changed ?
It would be cool if we could summon Major Celestials. (That's just my opinion)
Thank you for reading this/

Oran_Lathor
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't know... Personally I'd like to see them rebalance the summons first. They have got to be some of the weakest spells on the entire list. I remember back when mod4 came out, I went into the outdoor ruins of GH, summoned a troll (SM6), spent a LOT of mana giving it every possible useful buff, then sent it against a single ogre. The ogre kicked the living snot out of my troll (even though the troll was hasted/blurred/displaced/greater hero'd/Bulls strengthed/ bear's enduranced/ raged etc etc)... It wasn't even a close fight.

On the other hand, I could have just charmed the ogre for 25 mana - rather than the 400ish i spent buffing the troll...

Lorien_the_First_One
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM
In PnP you could summon various creatures of various alignments...and whatever you summonded was basically under a domination effect (so no diff than those trolls you charm to get them to fight with you). The neat thing in PnP is in the last round before they leave the PnP summons "act normally"...which may make them get ****ed and turn on you for a round.

MysticTheurge
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
The neat thing in PnP is in the last round before they leave the PnP summons "act normally"...which may make them get ****ed and turn on you for a round.

I really don't think this is in the 3.5 rules, but maybe I'm just completely missing it.

Akhad_Durn
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love using MS it's gotten me out a few tight spots.
But why are supposedly GOOD aligned characters summoning fiendish/evil creatures?
You figure that those with Good alignment would summon like creatures (i.e.Celestial animals(other than just the dog) Major Celestials like Archons or Guardinals or Good aligned elemental beings like the Djinn.)
I can understand if theres a coding issue, but can MS be changed ?
It would be cool if we could summon Major Celestials. (That's just my opinion)
Thank you for reading this/

I agree with you, but I don't think that they're going to be chaning the spells any time soon. They just updated the artwork for the spell icons to match the monster being summoned. Anytime artwork needs to be changed things happen much slower.

captain1z
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
The summon spells are limited to the creatures that are available in DDO
Its a pretty small list so you will get some weird alignment conflicts as DEVs use what they got to make the spells work

As far as PNP them turning on you the last round...... I think your DM is using a house rule

In PNP they stick around for 1 rd per caster level ...... which sucks cus I summon slow stupid beetles that cant fly it takes them a round to get
to the enemy.... 1 round to attack and usually miss.....and the following round they attack, maybe hit for 1d6 and dissappear.

Very under-powered compaired to my 2nd edition elf fighter mage who could summon 50' walls and drop them on you

MysticTheurge
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
The summon spells are limited to the creatures that are available in DDO
Its a pretty small list so you will get some weird alignment conflicts as DEVs use what they got to make the spells work

No. It's really not. Here's the list (again):

SMI - We have Celestial Dogs. We could also have Fiendish Dire Rats, Small Fiendish Scorpions, Small Fiendish Spiders
SMII - We have Medium Fiendish Scorpions. We could also have Celestial Riding Dogs, Fiendish Wolves, Medium Fiendish Spiders.
SMIII - We have Hellhounds. We could also have Small Elementals (Air/Earth/Fire), Fiendish Dire Bats.
SMIV - We have Large Fiendish Spiders. We could also have Celestial Lion, Mephit (any), Fiendish Dire Wolf.
SMV - We have Medium Earth Elementals. We could also have Medium Elementals (Air/Fire), Bearded Devils, Large Fiendish Scorpions.
SMVI - We have Fiendish Trolls (:rolleyes:). We could instead have Bralani, Celestial Dire Lion, Large Elementals (Air/Earth/Fire), Huge Fiendish Spider.
SMVII - We have Efreeti. We could also have Djinni, Huge Elementals (Air/Earth/Fire), Invisible Stalkers, Huge Fiendish Scorpions.
SMVIII - We have Bezekira. We could also have Greater Elementals (Air/Earth/Fire), Gargantuan Fiendish Spiders.

And that's without even going into any sort of "They're really close animations" stuff. Lantern Archons for SMIV, for instance, could use the same "Ball of Light" animation that the new Ghaele do. And tigers (who show up in a few places) could probably use the same basic stuff as the lions do, with just a stripy skin instead.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I really don't think this is in the 3.5 rules, but maybe I'm just completely missing it.

Hmm...never moved to 3.5, but it was definately in 3.0

Kerr
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I played 3.0 for a while, and I certainly don't recall that rule. I call BS on that.