PDA

View Full Version : Customizable UI Skinning comes to the DDO in Module 6!

Quarion
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Guess what? Skinnable UI is coming to DDO with Module 6!

With this in mind, we've been working with the folks over at www.lotrointerface.com to create a DDO Interface customization community. They've got the full how-to guides on how to reskin your DDO UI when Module 6 comes out.

Check it out, here (http://www.lotrointerface.com/)!

Beherit_Baphomar
01-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Yay.

I think.

Sambvca
01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Welcome Dungeons & Dragons Online™: StormReach™ players! With the upcoming content patch next week...

next week!!!

Quoted 1/18/07... we'll see...

Yaga_Nub
01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
You noticed that as well. Let's hope it accurate.

Mockduck
01-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Yes! To both the possible faster release date and the customizable UI! How cool will this be!

slumbering_dragon
01-18-2008, 04:46 PM
i tried the downloead version but cant get it to work any one having any luck and is this somthing that is for DDO or DDO forums? i have not had much sleep so could anyone put it into dummie terms, thx.

Cairenn
01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
i tried the downloead version but cant get it to work any one having any luck and is this somthing that is for DDO or DDO forums? i have not had much sleep so could anyone put it into dummie terms, thx.Sorry I wasn't more clear (I've edited my post to clarify). The file that is currently on the site is in the Developer Utilities category. Aka, this file is for meant for authors to use in the creation of custom interfaces, not for end-users. Sorry for the confusion.

Pellegro
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
OK I'm old and ... (trying to be pc here) ... slow, but can someone explain in simple terms what this means? What is a "skinnable" UI ?

Thanks !

Osharan_Tregarth
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I only have one question...

Can I resize my hotbar buttons this way?

Okay, two questions...
Are we getting actual support for more than 10 hotbars someday?

jjflanigan
01-18-2008, 04:59 PM
i tried the downloead version but cant get it to work any one having any luck and is this somthing that is for DDO or DDO forums? i have not had much sleep so could anyone put it into dummie terms, thx.

It's for the DDO game. It basically exposes the art assets that are used for the in game UI (windows, icons, etc) and allows you to modify how they are displayed and what images are used. The images are presented in a TGA format ( see here if you want to be able to view the TGA files as thumbnails in windows explorer -- http://greggman.com/pages/thumbplug_tga.htm )

You would create new art assets (or modify the provided ones) and then adjust the XML file accordingly.

It allows you to fully adjust the imaging / layout / sizing of UI (menus, hotbars, inventory, etc) components to suit your needs. You can look around the downloads section for LoTRO to see some of the very artistic and clean UI changes some of the members of that community have developed.

You will need a graphics editor that is able to handle TGA format to work with the images (even if you install the tool to let you see the thumbnails).

szalkerous
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Thank You Ddo Dev Team!!!!!!!!!!!

Coldin
01-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Umm....yay?

I really just don't know if this is going to improve my game experience or not. We'll see.

Cairenn
01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
It's for the DDO game. It basically exposes the art assets that are used for the in game UI (windows, icons, etc) and allows you to modify how they are displayed and what images are used. The images are presented in a TGA format ( see here if you want to be able to view the TGA files as thumbnails in windows explorer -- http://greggman.com/pages/thumbplug_tga.htm )

You would create new art assets (or modify the provided ones) and then adjust the XML file accordingly.

It allows you to fully adjust the imaging / layout / sizing of UI (menus, hotbars, inventory, etc) components to suit your needs. You can look around the downloads section for LoTRO to see some of the very artistic and clean UI changes some of the members of that community have developed.

You will need a graphics editor that is able to handle TGA format to work with the images (even if you install the tool to let you see the thumbnails).Excellently explained jjflanigan, you've got it exactly right. :)

Please note, however, that not everything in the game's user interface can be skinned at this time. Only the files for which they've provided the support thus far. But it's a very large beginning list, and will only grow over time. :)

trptim
01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Under one of the class sections they have this
lg_class_barbarian_active 30x30
lg_class_barbarian_inactive 30x30
lg_class_bard_active 30x30
lg_class_bard_inactive 30x30
lg_class_cleric_active 30x30
lg_class_cleric_inactive 30x30
lg_class_fighter_active 30x30
lg_class_fighter_inactive 30x30
lg_class_paladin_active 30x30
lg_class_paladin_inactive 30x30
lg_class_ranger_active 30x30
lg_class_ranger_inactive 30x30
lg_class_rouge_active 30x30
lg_class_rouge_inactive 30x30
lg_class_sorcerer_active 30x30
lg_class_sorcerer_inactive 30x30
lg_class_wizard_active 30x30
lg_class_wizard_inactive 30x30

So we don't actually have rogues, we do have rouges
Guess I'll be editing that picture to be some makeup component

Edited - This was in the ArtAssetID file

MysticTheurge
01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Wow, very cool and totally unexpected.

Please note, however, that not everything in the game's user interface can be skinned at this time. Only the files for which they've provided the support thus far. But it's a very large beginning list, and will only grow over time. :)

Can you what this list entails right now. In general terms? Or should I go hunt through technical stuff that's probably way over my head.

jjflanigan
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow, very cool and totally unexpected.

Can you what this list entails right now. In general terms? Or should I go hunt through technical stuff that's probably way over my head.

If you head here

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info155-UISkinArtPack.html

That's the zip file of the preview art assets Quarion provided. The link in my post above will let you view them as thumbnails in windows explorer to see what it includes (once you extract them).

Right now it's the frames for the various panels (adventure journal, inventory, quest box, etc), the class icons, some of the images for the dice, eldritch device assets, the equipment doll from the inventory, inventory / bank tab icons.

Best bet is really to download Quarions zip and look through it -- even if you don't want to install the TGA thing, you can tell what a lot of them are based upon the name of the file.

Cairenn
01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
There is also a listing of the ArtAssetIDs and the actual SkinDefinition XML file which you can view online (you don't have to download anything) in the tutorial I posted here (http://www.lotrointerface.com/index.php?p=ddo_ui_skinning_1). For some people, the listings provide enough information, others may find it easier to figure out what is what by looking at the actual art assets in the download zip, as jjflanigan suggested.

Under one of the class sections they have this

lg_class_rouge_active 30x30
lg_class_rouge_inactive 30x30

So we don't actually have rogues, we do have rouges
Guess I'll be editing that picture to be some makeup component

Edited - This was in the ArtAssetID file
*chuckle*

Coldin
01-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Best bet is really to download Quarions zip and look through it -- even if you don't want to install the TGA thing, you can tell what a lot of them are based upon the name of the file.

I can view all the files using photoshop fyi.

What would kinda be cool is seeing some custom dice sets. That's something I'd be interested in.

Mockduck
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
OK I'm old and ... (trying to be pc here) ... slow, but can someone explain in simple terms what this means? What is a "skinnable" UI ?

Thanks !

It means you can finally get your DDO user interface to feature My Little Pony! :)

Just kidding, but it means that people will soon be able to create their own artwork for some of the icons, inventory panels and that kind of thing.

jjflanigan
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I can view all the files using photoshop fyi.

What would kinda be cool is seeing some custom dice sets. That's something I'd be interested in.

Yep -- Photoshop handles pretty much every graphic file format for viewing (and editing), was mainly just offering the TGA thumbnail thing up as an alternative to those who don't have any image editing software.

Since we have one set of dice to play with it should be a fairly simple task to use photoshop to tweak out some really nice looking dice. That will probably one of the first things I do when it goes live -- try to emulate my "lucky dice" from tabletop games.

HumanJHawkins
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Fighting against my inner bastard... trying to be positive... Slowly... but surely... Losing the battle...

All this does is make me sad thinking about the dev resources spent here that could have gone into so many other non-fluff things. Like maybe making it possible to search for "Potency" items in the auction house, or making the friends list work better, among other things.

Well, if this makes some people happy and helps keep the user base it will be a good thing... Just a head-scratcher that this was made a priority.

Dariuss
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
it's aniice /borat

very cool and unexpected bonus feature

And JJ, can I ge ta set of lucky dice too? I needs them something fierce :)

jjflanigan
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Fighting against my inner bastard... trying to be positive... Slowly... but surely... Losing the battle...

All this does is make me sad thinking about the dev resources spent here that could have gone into so many other non-fluff things. Like maybe making it possible to search for "Potency" items in the auction house, or making the friends list work better, among other things.

Well, if this makes some people happy and helps keep the user base it will be a good thing... Just a head-scratcher that this was made a priority.

Keep in mind that this is identical functionality to what is used in LoTRO. This has become possible after the conversion over to use a similar game engine to that used in LoTRO. It wasn't new development time as it just required porting the code over from LoTRO so that instead of always loading the art assets out of the binary files, it checks for the XML file and loads them from the directory structure in an uncompressed format.

It's something that is a "nice to have" for many people and didn't require a large amount of time investment (I would wager).

MysticTheurge
01-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Aside from the things that JJ said, and no offense to your inner bastard here, a more customizable UI is something people have been asking for in DDO since pretty much day one.

Yeah, it's not something everyone's going to want, or even use, but it's not as though it's some weird fringe thing that only one or two people are going to use.

Plus, these kinds of tools, in general, are a good idea, since it allows for more development that doesn't rely on the developers. Sure, not every user-made skin is going to be great, but when you throw this sort of thing out there it does let people get a lot more involved.

Yvonne_Blacksword
01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
and then some of us will get real lost and never get to use the new skins...because it is way(way) over our heads...

and we will have to wait for someone to make it more newb friendly....

like the planner that Ron built.

it will be the skins that XXXX built...

?

am I close?
lol
i am sooo not gonna be able to get this...
:p
without Ron and Aspenor...I would have never been able to enjoy the joys that are nuking...
what a loss. that would be....
/fireball!!!!!

MysticTheurge
01-18-2008, 06:28 PM
and then some of us will get real lost and never get to use the new skins...because it is way(way) over our heads...

If I understand it properly, which I may not, it should be as simple as downloading someone else's skin into your skins folder and then selecting that skin in game under the options panel.

Montrose
01-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Keep in mind that this is identical functionality to what is used in LoTRO. This has become possible after the conversion over to use a similar game engine to that used in LoTRO. It wasn't new development time as it just required porting the code over from LoTRO so that instead of always loading the art assets out of the binary files, it checks for the XML file and loads them from the directory structure in an uncompressed format.

It's something that is a "nice to have" for many people and didn't require a large amount of time investment (I would wager).

Hey, I want to be on that mythical dev team where ported code works flawlessly!

rip out old code, insert new code, hit F5 and PRAY! :D

Coldin
01-18-2008, 06:35 PM
If I understand it properly, which I may not, it should be as simple as downloading someone else's skin into your skins folder and then selecting that skin in game under the options panel.

That's pretty much what I'm getting to. Download someone's skins, put them in the screenshot folder, then load into the game and select that new UI from a drop down menu.

Note: This drop down menu actually already exists on Risia.

Edit: The more I read about this, the more interested I become. Course, I don't think I'll be doing an UI work myself, but I look forward to seeing what the community develops. Though I might make my own dice...

jjflanigan
01-18-2008, 06:42 PM

You understand it perfectly. If you don't like messing with image files and and XML file, you can just download the zip files that will be put up on LoTROinterface with custom developed UI skins and simply plug and play in your DDO client, no muss, no fuss.

moorewr
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Hmm.. ok, I'll have to start working on source images from My Little Pony...

Dane_McArdy
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
What a nice surprise!

Vizzini
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Pretty sure IRfanview would be able to view / edit these as well. Can anyone confirm?

Cairenn
01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
View, yes. Edit, I'm not sure, I've never tried. (I use PhotoShop). I can confirm that: Photoshop, PaintShopPro and GIMP can all create and edit .tga files, complete with the necessary alpha layer required to work in-game. GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) is free, if you don't have PhotoShop or PaintShopPro. For pure viewing purposes though, something like Irfanview or the program that jjflanigan linked (http://greggman.com/pages/thumbplug_tga.htm) are more than sufficient. :)

Gum
01-18-2008, 08:45 PM
A very nice surprise indeed. Thank you Turbine and good job! ;0)

mudfud
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
This is a great thing to have. Basically everyone can have there own customizable skins. For those of us (yes me) who know how to do these things and work good in graphics can be even better.
I am sure there will be a new forum coming up soon just for skins and how they look and making them available to download for all. Maybe even a request place for people who don't really know how to do this to request it to be done by other players. If my daughter played I am sure she would love to have a My Little Pony skin:cool:

Cairenn
01-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I am sure there will be a new forum coming up soon just for skins and how they look and making them available to download for all. Maybe even a request place for people who don't really know how to do this to request it to be done by other players.There already are, over at LotROInterface/DDOInterface. :)

mudfud
01-18-2008, 09:51 PM
There already are, over at LotROInterface/DDOInterface. :)

Heh yeah, I just read that article fully. :p

Talcyndl
01-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Egg-zactly.

This is the nice benefit DDO gets from the success of LoTR. Lets be thankful for the trickle down effect. :)

Zorlinta
01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Awesome add in :) Thats so great to have, so it lets the players get more involved with the game itself :) and helping each others

^_^ Go go DEVS :) ^_^

Although personally would wish could change sounds & bg music too as part of the customization of UI, but im guess that is asking much.

muffinlad
01-19-2008, 10:47 AM

I have similar feelings.....

1) I really don't care about this at all, and won't spend any time on it - unless someone points out a really gameplay useful feature (more than 10 hot bars that will not have the possiblity of implosion), it will make little difference in my life. Even when useful it will be very, very situational.

2) OTOH, I don't mind that the Dev's have done something that will make quite a few people happy and add to the flexibility of the game. It may not be my cup of tea, but several someones out there will love it. I am happy for others joy.

muffinyokel

moorewr
01-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Awesome add in :) Thats so great to have, so it lets the players get more involved with the game itself :) and helping each others

^_^ Go go DEVS :) ^_^

Although personally would wish could change sounds & bg music too as part of the customization of UI, but im guess that is asking much.

It seems LOTRO has music customization, so don't rule it out for us. I would love to kill the reaver to the soulful stylings of Wumpscut (http://www.myspace.com/wumpscut). :)

pcgammerm
01-19-2008, 11:38 PM
a step in the right direction, i like the idea, still not the awesomeness of the mods you can get for WoW, but its better then before

i just hope that they will open it up a little more for some of the great mods WoW to be translated into this (ie damage meters)

Talakus
01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Is there a way to download a simple jpeg of an actual screen shot of a modify interface?
It would help us to judge the look and the actual usefulness of the new UI?
Great idea, and thank you!
:)

ArkoHighStar
01-21-2008, 11:03 AM

The game engine developers, are project independent, meaning they work on a base engine for both games. The large changes implemented with mod 5 put us closer to the version of the engine used by LOTRO. It simply means that these features come as part of any engine upgrades they put into the mod. I am sure some testing cycles were put into it, but dev time was shared.
Just remember LOTRO is the more popular game, so if they want something that we also want chances are we will inheriy it a little later. A prime example is housing, which many people want, this is now in LOTRO ,and after the kinks are ironed out we will get something similiar. I am sure the raid crafting system is using code borrowed from LOTRO as well.

Cairenn
01-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Is there a way to download a simple jpeg of an actual screen shot of a modify interface?
It would help us to judge the look and the actual usefulness of the new UI?
Great idea, and thank you!
:)When people create custom interfaces they include screen shots of it which you can view on the download page for that interface. :)

Impaqt
01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Hmmmm....

FIrst, I 'd like to say I think this kind of "Fluff" is great for the game. I cant wait to see what we can do with the UI now that we can Skin it....

That being said, I have to say something here.......

Why give OUR interface skinning to a LOTRO Fansite? DDO Websites have been shunned by the folks at turbine fromthe getgo for some reason. We donthave a sitekit, We very little if any recognition from the main DDO site here, and its pretty sad.

There are LOTS of DDO folks very dedicated to this game who would of loved to have the Opertunity to provide this kind of fansite to the community.

sad...

ccheath776
01-21-2008, 12:09 PM

With this in mind, we've been working with the folks over at www.lotrointerface.com to create a DDO Interface customization community. They've got the full how-to guides on how to reskin your DDO UI when Module 6 comes out.

Thank you for giving us Graphical designers a chance to show our stuff.

Cairenn
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Impaqt: We aren't a LotRO site. We are an MMO site (http://www.mmointerface.com). We support multiple games, as can be seen by my sig file. Also, please note the following from my news post:

Given that the mechanics of custom ui skinning in DDO is the same as it is in LotRO, with their permission we decided to make this site serve both games, at least for now. Much of the developer information that you read in the LotRO forums applies equally to DDO. The main difference, obviously, is the file names and sizes. But the methodology is the same for either game. By having it share the same site, authors can reference the information from either side of the site. Double the support from a single site. This is far from a slam on DDO.

We are working on coming up with a site skin so you can either have it be LotRO or DDO. We are working on a new site logo to show that it's both sites. We've got the DDOInterface domain name already and we've got things set up on LotROI so that it'll be easily split off into its own site.

Turbine came to us because we are well known and respected by the MMO community; end users, authors and the game companies themselves. We've been supporting the custom user interface community for over five years now. I play DDO myself. We will do right by you guys, promise. :)

MysticTheurge
01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
A lot of nice stuff.

Sounds like you guys are on the ball.

It would definitely nice to be able to go to DDOInterface.com and have it look DDO-like, so I approve of those changes. :D

Dworkin_of_Amber
01-21-2008, 01:17 PM

With this in mind, we've been working with the folks over at www.lotrointerface.com (http://www.lotrointerface.com) to create a DDO Interface customization community. They've got the full how-to guides on how to reskin your DDO UI when Module 6 comes out.

Q, is the current Risia build Skinnable? I am interested in this, but want to see a preview of what we can really do with this. I know there are examples for LoTORO over on the lotorointerface.com site, but without being familiar with the LoTORO interface, it doesn't mean much. Do you have any examples of test skins (My Little Pony, perhaps? :D) to show us as an example of what we can do with this skinnable interface?

iamsamoth0
01-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Would going back to the old skin be an option?
I was just so used to that.
I can not wait to see how some off the outstanding talent we have, make some breathtaking art, or skins for the community to use.
GL CC, and to whomever tries to tackle this one.

2cp's
For those that say it was a distraction, it probably wasn't really a big expenditure of resources, like they said they just ported the code over, and viola' we have skin-able UI's.
2 Kudo's Dev Team.
/slinks back to auctions where I have been camped since coins quit dropping>>.(Yes, that is me bidding against you for that single silver coin for 200 gp's)

On another note, did anyone see or get one of the 'special' drops from turning in gold coins. I have spent all my money on coins and cakes this month ;)!! Gonna take me months to earn all this cash back. :( , I just have 6 golds from the auctions, /crosses fingers for res cakes!!!(I only have 2).