PDA

View Full Version : The part that intrests me.... recipes...

Cowdenicus
01-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Nobody is talking about it yet, but 1200 recipes.

1200, WOW.

Thats all I have to say, I hope there is some kind of primer or something. I cant wait to see this.

If this number is accurate, just WOW.

Kerr
01-17-2008, 12:43 AM
My guess? That the recipes include changing appearance of armor or weapons. That would account for a LOT.

slumbering_dragon
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM
well its said that you cna upgrade other items, pre-exicting items. now i cna upgrade those wounding rapiers to wounding of puncturing, and up my +4 MFP to a nice shiny +5MFP.

Cambo
01-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Someone should start a cookbook thread.
Get people to add recipes as they find them...hrm might look into doing that...over in the game strategies forum

as for there being 1200...well you would have to say there are multiple levels of each recipe as per the sample one...say 5 Levels...
That's still 300 recipes.

GlassCannon
01-17-2008, 01:09 AM
This thread lacks it ;)

Cambo
01-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Stone of Change - Eldritch Rituals Cookbook

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=132855

Falchion123
01-17-2008, 02:06 AM
The new eldritch device sounds really exciting to me :), I remember many years ago there's a game where you can combine a weapon or soul or something and it will semi-randomly churn out something useful or spit out only 1 of the original items you put in...haha,I spend so much time 'experimenting' with it.

Cambo
01-17-2008, 02:15 AM
This thread lacks it ;)

I would have liked to call them typo's...but they were mistakes - thanks

Mhykke
01-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Hmmm,

How many halflings am I going to have to throw into the fire/device to create something really nice? I'm guessing a lot.....

Cowdenicus
01-17-2008, 04:17 AM
Hmmm,

How many halflings am I going to have to throw into the fire/device to create something really nice? I'm guessing a lot.....

Thats ok, they are pests anyways. :D

The real question is, how many kobolds can we fit in one?

Draiden
01-17-2008, 04:52 AM
This was possibly THE most exciting thing for me hear on the video, also. I freakin' love it! 1200 recipes! Wow! Wow, Wow! WOW! (And I don't mean World of Warcraft)

I'm so exited!

:D

Mockduck
01-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Yeah - how's that for a "start" to crafting. 1200 sounds like the Joy of Crafting cookbook to me!

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 08:02 AM
glad i kept my large collectable bags:D

CDevil
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
The real question is, how many kobolds can we fit in one?

And the answer is: Not enough. :p

Heladron
01-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Hmmm,

I think you need at least 25 halflings to make a Lesser Halfling Bane weapon. I better get my bag of holding ready and then let the harvesting begin. :D

Yukiko
01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
1200!

Nice!
They got that one under our radar!

Woot for Turbine!

Aspenor
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah my jaw dropped when I saw over 1000 recipes, that's one heck of a lot of code, compilation, and bug-checking....

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Like I said, I'm excited for "Crafting." :D

oronisi
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Nobody is talking about it yet, but 1200 recipes.

1200, WOW.

Thats all I have to say, I hope there is some kind of primer or something. I cant wait to see this.

If this number is accurate, just WOW.

What's to get all excited about? I've had that thing since Diablo 2.

aldan
01-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I betcha the recipes drop as loot and the grandest of all recipes are rare drops.

Ciaran
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah my jaw dropped when I saw over 1000 recipes, that's one heck of a lot of code, compilation, and bug-checking....

Also, I think this makes this update much larger than people realize. Some people are calling foul that this new MOD is slim on content, to which I say: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot do you call 1200 recipies?" :rolleyes:

I also really hope we can alter the look of our gear too. That'd be really sweet.

arminius
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I see the extensive use of Microsoft Excel in our future. Or OpenOffice.org, if that is your boat.

Or, geesh, maybe even Access.

_

Zenix_Leviticus
01-17-2008, 10:31 AM
What's to get all excited about? I've had that thing since Diablo 2.

Makes me remember my Horadric Cube!!!!

Nice Turbine!!

rimble
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Also, I think this makes this update much larger than people realize. Some people are calling foul that this new MOD is slim on content, to which I say: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot do you call 1200 recipies?" :rolleyes:

I don't mean to poo-poo this at all, I'm very excited about it, however, I call it 'fluff numbers'. It all depends what they consider a 'recipe', and since higher numbers are more impressive, I'm sure they're using 'recipe' somewhat liberally. How many weapon types are there, 20 or so? So +1 to +5 of each weapon type, that's 100 'recipes'. Add Flaming, that's 100 more. Pure Good, another 100. They're just letting us choose from the things that are already out there (and maybe a few new ones, they like sneaking those in) and putting a number to it.

Again, not putting it down at all, just calling shenanigans a little, it's not like they implemented 1200 brand new things to play with...it's just combinations of existing things (probably a couple new things too), that can be combined in 1200 different ways. I mean, Whataburger says there's like 6,723 ways to have my burger...but plain and dry with cheese will do just fine, thanks.

Should be very cool and really shake up the weapon market, hopefully the component farming isn't too horrible. Even if it takes a long time, being able to make measurable progress towards a specific goal is a lot more fun, I think, than just opening chests and praying.

Ciaran
01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't mean to poo-poo this at all, I'm very excited about it, however, I call it 'fluff numbers'. It all depends what they consider a 'recipe', and since higher numbers are more impressive, I'm sure they're using 'recipe' somewhat liberally. How many weapon types are there, 20 or so? So +1 to +5 of each weapon type, that's 100 'recipes'. Add Flaming, that's 100 more. Pure Good, another 100. They're just letting us choose from the things that are already out there (and maybe a few new ones, they like sneaking those in) and putting a number to it.

Again, not putting it down at all, just calling shenanigans a little. Should be very cool and really shake up the weapon market, hopefully the component farming isn't too horrible.

Wait, you make it sound like crafting only applies to weapons...is this the case? I was under the impression that it was for armor, clothing and jewelry as well?

rimble
01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Wait, you make it sound like crafting only applies to weapons...is this the case? I was under the impression that it was for armor, clothing and jewelry as well?

Hmm, thought she said something to that effect, but maybe I just heard it in my head because the video showed a weapon being created, I'll go have another listen.

EDIT:
Yup, it shows a weapon being created so I heard 'weapon recipes' in my head. Disregard my call of shenanigans!

You hear that! Everyone! My Shenanigans is cancelled! Put down your cricket bats! No Shenanigans!

Ciaran
01-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Hmm, thought she said something to that effect, but maybe I just heard it in my head because the video showed a weapon being created, I'll go have another listen.

EDIT:
Yup, it shows a weapon being created so I heard 'weapon recipes' in my head. Disregard my call of shenanigans!

You hear that! Everyone! My Shenanigans is cancelled! Put down your cricket bats! No Shenanigans!

The best shenanigans often involve cricket bats. *whistles innocently*

What I'm dying to know is if we'll be able to add properties to raid loot that's already bound, such as the Sword of Shadows. I would think not, since that's a borderline artifact as it is and adding anything else to it would be sick...not that that would stop me, though! ;)

kruggar
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
hmmm chaos guard with str +6 on it? or the kundarack delving boots of striding 30%?!

Aspenor
01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
hmmm chaos guard with str +6 on it? or the kundarack delving boots of striding 30%?!

Nah, Skyver with Superior Potency VII on it :D

Lorien_the_First_One
01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Nah, Skyver with Superior Potency VII on it :D

Personally I'm looking forward to building my ghost touch vorpal greataxe of greater everythingbane

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Personally I'm looking forward to building my ghost touch vorpal greataxe of greater everythingbane

transmuting dwarven of mob bane

flynnsane
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Don't ya have to have Craft Armor or Craft Weapon skills to craft stuff in PnP? Wouldn't that be better to make people invest in these skills if they want to craft? COuldn't this become crazy powerful w/o it- kinda like UMD?

Dunno, just asking as I'm sure there are far more knowledgeable people out there....

Ciaran
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Don't ya have to have Craft Armor or Craft Weapon skills to craft stuff in PnP? Wouldn't that be better to make people invest in these skills if they want to craft? COuldn't this become crazy powerful w/o it- kinda like UMD?

Dunno, just asking as I'm sure there are far more knowledgeable people out there....

I believe that's how it works in PnP. However, adding new skills to the game would most definitely be a huge sink of development resources and would be grossly unfair - especially considering there currently is no way to respend your skill points in DDO.

I personally think it would be a horrible idea, nothing personal, to implement crafting in that way. This prototype to crafting was implemented to be accessible to all players and on bound items - making it so you had to rely on a character with skill points in Craft X would be detrimental, I think. Besides, they'd have to change the system so items didn't have to be bound before being able to perform crafting on them.

In short, I don't ever see this happening...at least not for a good long while.

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
It would be madness to let people build things with an infinite number of benefits, so I'd be prepared to see item enchantments increase the ML on items as well. It means you can probably craft that ML 16 weapon you've always been dreaming of, but it probably won't let you make an item of Everything Bane.

Ciaran
01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
It would be madness to let people build things with an infinite number of benefits, so I'd be prepared to see item enchantments increase the ML on items as well. It means you can probably craft that ML 16 weapon you've always been dreaming of, but it probably won't let you make an item of Everything Bane.

Yeah, I can't imagine there not being some kind of limit in the system. That said, since it's "creating your own raid loot" and raid loot typically is more powerful than what a character at that level could normally obtain, I think we'll see ML16 stuff that really should be ML17 or ML18...if that makes sense.

Yukiko
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Humm.... I can sell componets used to craft these items $_$

flynnsane
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Hmmm, wouldn't be too bad if they allowed a skill respec (which they won't, more's the pity)

Guess, then, that we'll never see artificers, as my understanding is crafting is what they do well.

REally is kinda too bad. I'd rather see the ability to craft reserved for those who've spent the skill points to do it...like UMD.

Oh well. Either way. I don't care too much really. Crafting ain't my thing.

Missing_Minds
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
honestly, I'm surprised Asp hasn't chimed in again that he's going to create a rapier (or something) of greater newb bane.

Mad_Bombardier
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
honestly, I'm surprised Asp hasn't chimed in again that he's going to create a rapier (or something) of greater newb bane.Yeah, but then he'd risk critical misses/fumbles and hurting himself. ;) :p

Coldin
01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Heh, you know in the Dev Diary, after they used the Eldritch device, a status message popped up saying "Super Cool Results!" :)

I'm excited about all these new recipes, but I am wondering how exactly we're going to know what creates what. Is it going to be pure trial and error, or are we going to be able to find recipe books and what not?

I am a tad skeptical of 1200 recipes, mainly because there's no way to know exactly what 1200 amounts to. Just thinking about how many different items exist in the game, we have 17 (rough guess numbers) types of weapons, 14 armors, Necklaces, Trinkets, Cloaks, Rings, Boots, Gloves, Bracers, Helms. That's ~40 items. So, all they really need are 30 so variations of each item, and with items soon to be min level 16 usable, there's going to be a huge range of variation, even in just tacking on random skill bonuses to items. Plus, I could see some "recipes" overlapping. Like 5 beetles with 100 dragonshard fragments gives you the same result as 10 tulips with 75 dragonshard fragments.

Now I'm sure it's still going to be awesome. But I don't completely believe it until we start seeing some hard data on it.

Aspenor
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
honestly, I'm surprised Asp hasn't chimed in again that he's going to create a rapier (or something) of greater newb bane.

Why would I need that? I am the overbearing personality of greater noob bane!!!!

Ouch... :( I just hurt my own feelings.

arminius
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Why would I need that? I am the overbearing personality of greater noob bane!!!!

I usually make my saving throw vs. that.

You need to raise your General Misanthropic Indifference score.

_

Kerr
01-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Oh come now. We know you don't have any feelings. ;)

Yaga_Nub
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM

What are these "feelings" you speak of?

Vizzini
01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh My Halfling Paladin is soo gonna smite you straight into he||

I think you need at least 25 halflings to make a Lesser Halfling Bane weapon. I better get my bag of holding ready and then let the harvesting begin. :D

Vizzini
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Sadly I still use that thing when I get bored with this game :eek:

Makes me remember my Horadric Cube!!!!

Nice Turbine!!

Kire
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I figure you have to keep your own recipes. That would be the best way for them to do it because more trial and error = more farming = more time sinks.

~Kire

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine there not being some kind of limit in the system. That said, since it's "creating your own raid loot" and raid loot typically is more powerful than what a character at that level could normally obtain, I think we'll see ML16 stuff that really should be ML17 or ML18...if that makes sense.

Well it sounds like there's "Raid Loot" recipes and regular recipes, or at least there's Raid-based crafting "tables" and the non-raid ones.

Pellegro
01-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I betcha the recipes drop as loot and the grandest of all recipes are rare drops.

This is how its done in LOTRO. To craft, you need the recipe + items.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here. It creates yet another "mini economy" in the trading of recipes. Also, by tweaking the recipe drop rate, they maintain more control over the rarity/commonality of the items.

What will be really interesting is if we can "crit" on a recipe as you can in LOTRO, and get a super fantabulous item out instead of just what we were expecting.

Coldin
01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
What will be really interesting is if we can "crit" on a recipe as you can in LOTRO, and get a super fantabulous item out instead of just what we were expecting.

Well, according the dev video, you can generate "Super Cool Results!" :cool:

muffinlad
01-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Any society that has paper will record these results for others to use, learn from....so I hope the Dev's publish a "manual" for at least the basic, non secret ones.

muffincrafter

lasra
01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Guildie: So about getting that raid together...
DING!
Farmer mxalksdry tells you: Are you tired of looking for crafting components? Stop by XXXYYY.com for all your component needs!
To guild: Well... here we go!
DING!
Farmer wlekroaiy tells you: Ditto!
DING!
Farmer abab abab cc dd tells you: Ditto!

dameron
01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
My concern is, considering the recipes we've seen so far:

Shavarath Transformation: - Taken from Video..
Device Requirement: Unknown
Materials: Equipable Item (to be bound/attuned), 1 Wonderous Scarabs (90 in the video), 1 Shavarath Signet Stones (90 in the video), 2 other material

unless these items are dropping in 20s and 30s there's no reason to think a casual player will ever need to worry about crafting.

Hell, the screenshot had an item quantity of 1000.

I appreciate the nods to casual gamers (death penalty and rest shrine resets on normal), but I'd hate to see a whole system that's really geared towards the grinders.

It'd be nice if we could get minor but stacking effect, say worth +1, for a reasonable price.

Pellegro
01-18-2008, 12:12 AM
My concern is, considering the recipes we've seen so far:

unless these items are dropping in 20s and 30s there's no reason to think a casual player will ever need to worry about crafting.

Hell, the screenshot had an item quantity of 1000.

I appreciate the nods to casual gamers (death penalty and rest shrine resets on normal), but I'd hate to see a whole system that's really geared towards the grinders.

It'd be nice if we could get minor but stacking effect, say worth +1, for a reasonable price.

Its hard to see, but if you watch the video closely on hi-res, you'll see that the device only decreased the stacks by 1 after it created the item.

The fact that the player had large stacks was, I believe, just coincidental.

MysticTheurge
01-18-2008, 12:44 AM
The fact that the player had large stacks was, I believe, just coincidental.

Well, it was probably a dev working on stuff, so they gave themselves a lot of big stacks of all the various components. ;)

CDevil
01-18-2008, 03:06 AM
I personally am curious how the recipes are to be used.

Since we will be finding them, it's safe to guess they are in a scroll or tome format. My question is, what then? Do we scribe it in a personal "recipe book" like a wizard scribing a spell, or would we place it in the machine with the items, and "burn" it in the manufacturing process?

Along those lines, will it be possible to "experiment" with the process, adding random items without an established recipe, and seeing what comes out, if anything?
(Likely not, I know, but it had to be asked.)

Lorien_the_First_One
01-18-2008, 07:30 AM
This is how its done in LOTRO. To craft, you need the recipe + items.

That would be pretty disappointing...

ABQPaladin
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
glad i kept my large collectable bags:D

This brings up a good point. Where will we be storing all of these "craftable" items and recipes? Our little 20 item bags or whatever they are will fill up fast from what I gather, if that's the plan, or we'll have to have 8 slot bank account on the way.

ArkoHighStar
01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
This brings up a good point. Where will we be storing all of these "craftable" items and recipes? Our little 20 item bags or whatever they are will fill up fast from what I gather, if that's the plan, or we'll have to have 8 slot bank account on the way.

you can buy medium bags

kingfisher
01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
will the stuff go in the collectable bags?

Kerr
01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't know if this helps, but Adamantine Ore is one of the components needed in crafting for the known recipe, and it doesn't go into collectible bags.