PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peak: Gamespy preview of Module 6: The Thirteenth Eclipse!

Quarion
01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Our friends over at Gamespy.com just had the chance to check out the new content coming in Module 6: The Thirteenth Eclipse!
Now they want to tell you about it! Check out their preview, where they talk about the great new landscape, the Vale of Twilight, a walk-through of the raid, and much more. Click here (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeons-dragons-online/845978p1.html) to read the article.

In other Gamespy.com related news, they've also just posted a new Video Dev Diary, covering some of the latest that's going on in Dungeons and Dragons Online™: Stormreach™. Click here (http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/619/619908/vids_1.html) to watch!http://media.ign.com/thumb/225/2252152/ddo_devdiary_011508_qtlowwide_thumb_spy.jpg (http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/619/619908/vids_1.html)

moorewr
01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
After the success of The Lord of the Rings Online, one could be forgiven for forgetting that the Tolkien-themed MMO isn't the only iron developer Turbine has in the fire. The company's earlier release, Dungeons & Dragons Online, is still going strong. According to the company, the subscriber base, while not boasting world-beating numbers, has had relatively little turnover and the game continues to hold a steady group of hardcore players. That's a tribute to Turbine's continuing commitment to the title and the steady stream of content upgrades it releases every four to six months. We were recently privileged to take a run through DDO's latest "module," called "The Thirteenth Eclipse," where we fought against devils, gnolls and flying swords and took a good look at what's in store for players in "The Shroud."

Flying swords! Shavarrath!

:)

EspyLacopa
01-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Balor! That or a Pit Fiend.

MysticTheurge
01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Interesting stuff...

Flying swords, huh? Does that mean we're going to get Mage's Sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesSword.htm) soon?

ArkoHighStar
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Interesting stuff...

Flying swords, huh? Does that mean we're going to get Mage's Sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesSword.htm) soon?

no its a blade storm which is a feature from the plane of shavarrath

ArkoHighStar
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
biggest news monks in april which means mod 7

moorewr
01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Description of the raid -- Ha ha! Well, we were claiming they'd follow up the Abbot with Pac-Man. This I can't wait to see.

Kerr
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Ah, posted here too.

Did you see the part about the 'boss' that imparts VORPAL effects on the mobs around it????

Oh we're so screwed.

MysticTheurge
01-16-2008, 06:54 PM
no its a blade storm which is a feature from the plane of shavarrath

Yeah, but once you have a swarm of flying blades, you've got one flying blade, right?

Pellegro
Great DEV Diary !!!

1200 crafting recipes ... !

Monks tentative in April ... !!!

The new raid boss looks sweeet !!!

One constructive criticism: In every poll, formal or informal, I have seen regarding why people like this game ... the #1 reason seems to be Combat. DDO has a truly unique combat system in MMOs.

But I have never seen our beloved combat system shown off in the DEV DIARIES or Ads ?!?

AOC got a *ton* of buzz around its "unique" action oriented combat system. Hellgate is hot right now, in large part b/c its a FPSORPG (or whatever they call it).

I'd love to see Turbine do more to get the word out that is not simply another MMO, but truly something unique. You've got #1 combat in MMOs (IMO), AND you've got the D&D license. This game should be golden.

That is all ...

Great ads, I'm excited !!!

Gum
Balor! Yes!

BTW does anyone else think she's hot?

Grimborn
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Ah, posted here too.

Did you see the part about the 'boss' that imparts VORPAL effects on the mobs around it????

Oh we're so screwed.
Lol. Indeed.

ArkoHighStar
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Lol. Indeed.

deathward is your friend

EspyLacopa
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Balor! Yes!
Actually, since they seem to be focusing more on Devils, it probably is a Pit Fiend instead.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG57.jpg
Reference image.

MysticTheurge
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Actually, since they seem to be focusing more on Devils, it probably is a Pit Fiend instead.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG57.jpg
Reference image.

Pfft. Details. It's a big, red, leathery-winged thing that tries to kill you. That's all that really matters. ;)

EspyLacopa
01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Pfft. Details. It's a big, red, leathery-winged thing that tries to kill you. That's all that really matters. ;)

Pit Fiends can cast Mass Hold Monster at will. As many times as they want. And the poison in their claws and bites has secondary damage of Death.

And of course. . .they have Meteor Swarm.

And they regenerate. . .

mgoldb2
01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Sounds awesome the raid zone first thing I heard about mod 6 that am actually excited about now.

On another note remember the arcade joke thread awhile back they was not so far off gauntlet, pac-man and frogger for the win :p

Ganak
01-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Awesome!!!!!

slumbering_dragon
01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
man i what caught my eye the most was the monk fighting style preview!!! i have been asking for something like this for a while and man i love the sneak peak. I cant wait to get in there and start crafting thx devs for all your hard work very nice job!!!!!!!!!

Gratch
01-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Whoa... did anyone see all the item types going into that eldritch device?

Dragonshards, gems, and those new shards of dragonshards and sigil pieces - lots of sigil pieces in the toon's inventory... guess there's a reason you can put more than one sigil in your black circle book. Though maybe that was just a development shot. The specific example there didn't show them adding sigil pieces... just a bunch in inventory.

Either way, think I'll start collecting them again instead of leaving them in the box when others don't need.

P.S: Who changed Kate's hair color since the last diary? And when can we change our character's hair color? :)

Saaluta
01-16-2008, 07:56 PM
In the immortal words of Pepe LePew... "Le Sigh" Can't wait for the new module, and according to GameSpy, January 30. :)

Saal :)

GeneralDiomedes
01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Did you catch the magnificent quasi-screenshot on page 3? Wow! Now that's how splash screens are supposed to be done.

DaveyCrockett
01-16-2008, 08:09 PM
January 30th was the lsited date for Mod 6 release. :D

Magnyr_Delorn
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Cool! Now do this same type of diary every 2-3 months, instead of once a year or more, and we'll never complain again!:D

Coldin
01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Very cool stuff.

captain1z
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
What I get from this is..................

- Players isolated at start of quest (very cool)

- We finally got some advertising via gamespy (very very cool)

- Jan 30th release date according to gamespy (no comment)

Oran_Lathor
01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Those two links have succeeded (finally) in making me look forward to mod6. Thanks for all the hard work Devs!

Drider
01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm kind of excited by the "pac-man and gauntlet" use in the new mod. :)

Very nice preview, it's definitely looking good. I can't wait to get pwned by the Pit Fiend. :eek:

Xaxx
01-16-2008, 08:49 PM
it mentions the level raise and giving access to 14 new spells, yet we only have 11 lev 8 spells listed (1 taken off but talked about in article so thats 12) and yet more then 14 listed overall (for all levs) so we still have 2 more spells to make appearance.. maybe earthquake will make it in afterall??

Beherit_Baphomar
01-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Best thing about this? Turbine gettin DDO's name out there.

Good job guys.

Mockduck
01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that was totally sweet. The raid zone sounds like a real challenge, but in a good way. Totally can't wait!

Mad_Bombardier
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Huzzah! :)

bigal4458
01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Wait!! You mean the game's not dead? they are still developing new content? People still play this?

then what is all this doom-saying i'm reading everywhere all about? ;)

And Did you guys see the link there to the expansion pack, "Forsaken Lands"? What's that all about!?

LOL. Just playing. but I wonder how many flames i'll get for bringing the expansion pack back up. :eek:

Namelessone
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
No one noticed that the monk was a half elf and the person the monk was hitting was a half orc??? :D

Whippy
01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Great Dev Diary, would love to see more of these more often! And woo, mod 6 looks like it will be great fun, can't wait!

MysticTheurge
01-16-2008, 10:06 PM
P.S: Who changed Kate's hair color since the last diary? And when can we change our character's hair color? :)

Oh phew, I'm not the only one who noticed.

Jadeare
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Any guess what the two new rogue feats are?

slumbering_dragon
01-16-2008, 10:46 PM
i think it was a typo i think they ment ranger

MrCow
01-16-2008, 10:58 PM

Skill mastery and defensive roll?

Jadeare
01-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Bah, Give me slippery mind! I am sick of getting held/commanded.

DasLurch
01-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I thought the 2 new rogue feats were going to be slippery mind and skill mastery.

As far as the dev diary, thank you.

Of course it had to be the 30th...

Otherwise all the little news bits are very welcome. It feels like a long time since I've been excited about new stuff. This is starting to do the job.

And last but not least, I noticed some of the "bits" used in the eldrich device were not just new collectables. Suddenly everything old is new again!!! I can't wait to see the "online cookbook" that will turn up on the forums soon after the new mod goes live. :D

Raithe
01-17-2008, 12:06 AM
It seems from this dev diary and what I know of the Abbot raid, the developers are heading for a realtime action-based FPS style video game, demanding good twitch skills. If done well, I would consider this a significant upgrade to the looting grindfest that makes up 90% of the current game. It makes me wonder, however, how much of the existing game was meant to be twitch-based, but wound up stifled by the large number of looting strategists...

And I'm not sure how many existing subscribers are going to like it, if this trend is real and long term. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Nemonon
01-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Mod 6 looks sick. i hope the naysayers are all ashamed of themselves. DDO FTW. Oh and Kate is hot. that is all...........

V/R
Nemonon

lethal413
01-17-2008, 12:30 AM
idk bout yall but it doesnt sound too entertaining that theyre basing the raid puzzles off of more arcade games... gauntlet, pac-man, and frogger. very dnd-like

GeneralDiomedes
01-17-2008, 12:34 AM
idk bout yall but it doesnt sound too entertaining that theyre basing the raid puzzles off of more arcade games... gauntlet, pac-man, and frogger. very dnd-like

Those games are still some of the most fun around. Say what you will .. but twitch = replayability.

I actually can't wait to run the Gauntlet, considering how many quarters I popped into that one.

WIZARD IS ABOUT TO DIE!!!!

Ghoste
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
mmmm...looks good.

Kisaragi
01-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Our friends over at Gamespy.com just had the chance to check out the new content coming in Module 6: The Thirteenth Eclipse!
Now they want to tell you about it! Check out their preview, where they talk about the great new landscape, the Vale of Twilight, a walk-through of the raid, and much more. Click here (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeons-dragons-online/845978p1.html) to read the article.

In other Gamespy.com related news, they've also just posted a new Video Dev Diary, covering some of the latest that's going on in Dungeons and Dragons Online™: Stormreach™. Click here (http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/619/619908/vids_1.html) to watch!http://media.ign.com/thumb/225/2252152/ddo_devdiary_011508_qtlowwide_thumb_spy.jpg (http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/619/619908/vids_1.html)

I don't know about anyone else, but apon reading the raid descriptions they gave us, I'm not looking forward to doing that raid. No offense to the developers, but dodging unkillable things is not my idea of a good time. I'll probably still try it out eventually, but it doesn't sound easy that someone can just pick up and play.

As a side note; I like game references. I think it's funny when NPCs show up in area and interact with each other from different genres and settings. To solve game puzzles though, personally, I think it's kinda a cop out.

Pac-man? Frogger? Gauntlet's ok, but come on now. Couldn't you have found anything else...more...fantasy like? It may sound like I'm just whining at this point, but it is starting to get to me.

We need a raid that's a raid. No puzzles, no complicated maps, no challenging elements to overcome, just a straight knock down drag out brawl. Them versus us. Whether it be dragon fights, or demons, or even outsiders, the forces show up, and one of us ain't going to leave alive. The old sort of "Two men enter, one man leaves" motto.

Why? I'm getting really tired of having to break my butt to play six hours just to flag for a raid, end up in a group on elite, and get nothing for raid loot. I'm not talking about myself not getting anything, I'm talking a whole group of people not getting anything.

I'm losing interest in the complicated. I don't have the time for it. I play maybe 20 hours, on a good week. Half the time I cannot find people to flag. The other half I don't have time to run the quests.

So I'm asking, begging, pleading, willing to send cigarettes and chocolates and anything else, so that we can have a raid that you do 1 or 2 missions, once they're done you're flagged. You can redo the quest every few days. No complicated rules on the boss. They've come to our yard, we're kicking them out.

You want to know my idea of a raid? You remember helm's deep from LotR? Or the battle at Mourdor.

36 to 48 people who are fighting to the death versus huge odds and tons of NPCs. Siege weaponry cracking down walls, and the bodies of the dead piling up like kindling.

This combined with the fact that even finishing a raid, doesn't have a single NPC talk to you any differently, doesn't empower you at all, is very disheartening roleplaying wise.

I play a level 14 drow wizard who doesn't feel like he has any respect within the city. As if even if I make it to level 20, NPCs will still be treating me as level 2. At the end of the day, NPCs are still made to seem all powerful and PCs can never reach that level, even Velah. There are no elements within the story that make players seem epic.

As soon as I get some cool raid loot, the next batch of enemies make that all useless. "Oh no, they have an immunity to that, and that, and that, and some of this, and oooo what about this, and gotta have that, and what else did I give you again?" If we were playing table top I would have started hurling sharp objects the the GM's head.

I can level up. I can grind for experience, loot, favor, or even collectables. I can spend every waking moment doing my very best to do everything the Coin Lords, the Silver Flame, The Agents of Argossean, the Houses, or the Free Agents, ask me to do. And yet, it still feels like I'm a message courier.

If the characters aren't ever going to be treated differently. If the choices they make are never going to affect storylines, or how the city treats them, or how much power they have. Then there's no different between whether I play it or my brother does. A lot of MMOs are doing this.

I hate it.

I said a long time ago, that I don't care what abilities you give bosses, as long as eventually players get the same sort of power and respect. We're not going down that path and it worries me.

I worry about level 20. I worry that even if I beat the most insane raid, and ended up working for a solid month to beat it. After hundreds of hours of time, effort, energy, and focus, my character still will not be treated any differently in game, then if they had just gotten out of the harbor.

The raid details have made me just that much more uncomfortable. The loot seems to be an after thought. And to get it, it seems much grinding is going to be the same ol, same ol.

So what can I do? Not much. I can use my feet to express an opinion. I can not do any new raids. I can become sub-standard because I am unable to afford top grade equipment. I can try to use the skills I already have to make new equipment with the crafting system. In effect end up retiring in game.

It will however make me very disheartened. I am only one. A founder, but one none the less. A beta tester, but one none the less. A loyal customer who has had his subscription active since the beginning of the game, but only one customer.

I really hope the developers start to pay attention. To continue to ask the player base what it wants and make it available. I do not normally tolerate bad game design for long. I can have patience, I can wait to see, but I only have so much. When it's gone, so will I be.

mgoldb2
01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
The new raid zone sound great never mind what it base on the gauntlet is a large scale battle that you have to destroy portals quickly. That similar to what a lot of people wanted in a all out fight of wave after wave of enemies..

The one base on pac-man is really a chance for real tactics where as a group you have to find a way to keep the 4 bosses separated and busy while other people can take out the crystal in center.

Froger one you escaping from a cell and going though a hostile zone to get back togeather.

and they said 5 stages so there still 2 we dont know about yet

It all sound great to me.

This all in theory and I have to play it before I know if it plays as great as it sound on paper but I see great potential that it will be the most fun raid in the game.

I actually can't wait to run the Gauntlet, considering how many quarters I popped into that one.

Me to I remember as a child everyday after school going to my friend house and 4 of us would play Gauntlet on his sega then before we left we very very carfully copied down the ~20 digit code so that the next day we would not have to start new chars (we always kept old codes just in case one did not work it was not a total redo). When we finally beat it and on the final stage we fight each other we had a blast.

Twerpp
01-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Bah, no mention of half orcs :(

Crafting woot I can't wait to grind out 1000 adamantine ores.

I am excited about monks though. I can't wait to see enhancements, maybe it will cause a power-shift? Unseat the mighty barbarian from his melee throne? Cause multi-class mayhem? Here's hoping.

Dariuss
01-17-2008, 02:13 AM
very nice preview

looking good :)

spyderwolf
01-17-2008, 02:21 AM
if ya go frame by frame you get 3 out of 5 ingredients for shavarath transformation..whatever that is...red tapers, wondrous scarabs, shavarath signet stone

DaveyCrockett
01-17-2008, 05:03 AM
BTW does anyone else think she's hot?

Yes, yes and YES!! :D

Ustice
01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
I can't believe that no one else mentioned the mention of UI improvements, ESPECIALLY the fact that they will be releasing a toolkit for us to CUSTOMIZE it! :eek:

I can't wait. :)

Damn, March is so far away... :(

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Skill mastery and defensive roll?

Bah, Give me slippery mind! I am sick of getting held/commanded.

I thought the 2 new rogue feats were going to be slippery mind and skill mastery.

There are actually three new Rogue special abilities: Skill Mastery, Defensive Roll and Slippery Mind.

At least, according to the WDAs.

Ustice
01-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Jerry of DDO-Cast, mentioned that a new book is about to be released by Wizards of the Coast (makers of D&D the PnP game) called City of Stormreach. The really cool thing is that it is based on elements from DDO (which is mentioned SPECIFICALLY in the product description :eek:)! Maybe this will draw more PnP players into the game...

Its great to see more promo stuff like this! Keep it up, Turbine Team! Great job!

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Jerry of DDO-Cast, mentioned that a new book is about to be released by Wizards of the Coast (makers of D&D the PnP game) called City of Stormreach. The really cool thing is that it is based on elements from DDO (which is mentioned SPECIFICALLY in the product description :eek:)! Maybe this will draw more PnP players into the game...

Its great to see more promo stuff like this! Keep it up, Turbine Team! Great job!

This was true of Secrets of Xen'drik too.

The map included such DDO locations as Tempest Spine, Three Barrel Cove, Sorrowdusk Island and the Menechtarun Desert.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sox_maps/98413.jpg

Aspenor
01-17-2008, 07:37 AM
|\/|0|) 6 12 73|-| |_||33r2!!!

3l_4|)|71|\| 15 |\/|'/ |-|3|70!!

moorewr
01-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I noticed that the wire-frame monk animation was a half-elf monk hitting a half-orc. A good sign?

Bah, no mention of half orcs :(

Crafting woot I can't wait to grind out 1000 adamantine ores.

I am excited about monks though. I can't wait to see enhancements, maybe it will cause a power-shift? Unseat the mighty barbarian from his melee throne? Cause multi-class mayhem? Here's hoping.

Missing_Minds
01-17-2008, 08:13 AM
deathward is your friend

death block as well, unless they changed it from the last time I hoped in PvP sence mod 4.

Missing_Minds
01-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Why? I'm getting really tired of having to break my butt to play six hours just to flag for a raid, end up in a group on elite, and get nothing for raid loot. I'm not talking about myself not getting anything, I'm talking a whole group of people not getting anything.

I'm losing interest in the complicated. I don't have the time for it. I play maybe 20 hours, on a good week. Half the time I cannot find people to flag. The other half I don't have time to run the quests.

What? are you saying you don't like WoW?

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I can't believe that no one else mentioned the mention of UI improvements, ESPECIALLY the fact that they will be releasing a toolkit for us to CUSTOMIZE it! :eek:

I can't wait. :)

Damn, March is so far away... :(

or the fact she said reach the new city, Meridia?

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 08:30 AM
or the fact she said reach the new city, Meridia?

That's cause we've all seen Meridia, on Risia. :p

It's more like the Necropolis than a "new city." It's safe, it's got some important stuff like shops, mailbox, auctioneer, but it's not a new city in the way that Stormreach is a city.

oronisi
01-17-2008, 08:36 AM
That dev diary was BS! Did nobody notice they had 4, 4! people in the icewand section? Apparently the devs can't even play their own raid out to take screenshots without just teleporting themselves around.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 08:48 AM

That's cause we've all seen Meridia, on Risia. :p

It's more like the Necropolis than a "new city." It's safe, it's got some important stuff like shops, mailbox, auctioneer, but it's not a new city in the way that Stormreach is a city.

I'm not doing Risia on this one.

ccheath776
01-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Let me start by saying I think the new raid area sounds pretty cool and all. At least I dont have to flag for it.
- I also liked the eldrich part since that is a start to crafting.
- I liked the seperate cages idea as well and the having to run through swords.
- I really liked the tribute to gauntlet, one of my favorite games. WOOT to the devs on that.

However, I groaned at the respawning maze and the seperated party. What obsession the devs have with seperating the party is beyond me, but they like to do it alot. I personally hate it because it limits your partys effectiveness and makes you bring certain classes of characters along. I also heard the word I dread, "Pulling mobs". Just reminds me too much of the old velah. I can see the conversation now. "Ok one person, pull all the mobs to one of the end maze while we destroy the crystal.." Its going to happen when you have respawning mobs, players dont want to deal with it. Why kill a mob that is just going to go into pacman ghost mode and re-appear? Rather have one person run the mobs around in a cirle while you beat the crystal down.
Same ole same ole stuff we have seen time and again. I luvya turbine, but when oh when are you going to learn, forget about this kill one mob before the other crud. And these bosses will probably also have all red named immunities. No shock there.
At some point can't we just have a stand up boss fight for once?

I'm apprehensive about the 1980's game rehashes, we saw how well those went over in the Abbott but I will simply have to see how that turns out.
I also know that they said this will be open to power and casual gamers alike, but I dont see it. Unless we can take on each area seperately, that raid sounds like a 6 - 7 hour affair if not longer. It also sounds like a one - wipe and your out type deal. That puts the casual gamer pretty much out of the picture. I just hope the devs have learned something and the days of raid flagging are gone for good.

Right now thats my first impression. I am enthusiastic about the new content but also reserved until I try it.

All in all though a big high five for all the hard work on this devs and team. Its appreciated.

Deragoth
01-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't wait to beat on that devil.

The unarmed fighting animation that you showed us looks pretty cool. Any idea which fighting style you're modeling off of?

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Unless we can take on each area seperately, that raid sounds like a 6 - 7 hour affair if not longer.

Given that it would be crazy to try to make people do all of that at once, I'm going to put my money on us being able to do them separately, somehow.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Let me start by saying I think the new raid area sounds pretty cool and all. At least I dont have to flag for it.
- I also liked the eldrich part since that is a start to crafting.
- I liked the seperate cages idea as well and the having to run through swords.
- I really liked the tribute to gauntlet, one of my favorite games. WOOT to the devs on that.

However, I groaned at the respawning maze and the seperated party. What obsession the devs have with seperating the party is beyond me, but they like to do it alot.

While I hope it doesn't become the standard all the time, I like it!

It makes the game about team work, then just pile on the damge numbers and good damage mitigation to beat down a mob.

That's fun too, mind you, so I want a mixture of both.

ArkoHighStar
01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Given that it would be crazy to try to make people do all of that at once, I'm going to put my money on us being able to do them separately, somehow.

which gives us the 11 quests number we all were looking for.

Griphon
01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah..

And I had complained about the flash screen saying only 5 or so quests?
Didn't realize that Raidzone area was going to be multiple quests. ;)

I am DROOLING over the Monk. That spin kick was awesome.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
which gives us the 11 quests number we all were looking for.

Do the explorer zone of the Vale also have explore, rare and slayer quests in it? Cause if it does, that puts it up to 14, technically.

ArkoHighStar
01-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Do the explorer zone of the Vale also have explore, rare and slayer quests in it? Cause if it does, that puts it up to 14, technically.

they do, but I never consider the outdoor areas as a quest as there is no favor attached to them

Draclaud
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Enough with the puzzles already...Please...the twitch play thing is wearing me out as well...Thanks for the crafting, and the level increase, but there is a reason people don't play frogger and pac man any more...Gauntlet on the other hand ;)

ccheath776
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
While I hope it doesn't become the standard all the time, I like it!

It makes the game about team work, then just pile on the damge numbers and good damage mitigation to beat down a mob.

That's fun too, mind you, so I want a mixture of both.

This is going to sound funny but the best part about this was actually seeing the monk combat preview for two reasons.

1. Its nice to see monks. Or at least an inkling of what they are.

2. That was MAYA GS they were using!!!! The same software I am learning in my school. Its nice to know I am learning what the industry is using. WOOT!!! Because I can actually do that.

mobywan
01-17-2008, 09:30 AM
This is so cool! I can't wait and please please please stay on that April date for the monk.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
they do, but I never consider the outdoor areas as a quest as there is no favor attached to them

They are still quests, really. With xp attached to them.

So there are 14 quests for Module 6. Which is average for each module. Not to mention some huge upgrades to the game, in terms of ranged combat and such.

ArkoHighStar
01-17-2008, 09:34 AM

So there are 14 quests for Module 6. Which is average for each module. Not to mention some huge upgrades to the game, in terms of ranged combat and such.

My feeling is that 6.1 was meant to be part of 6, but because they wanted to deliver on time so to speak they went with the decsion to cut features from 6 and create a mini mod for 6.1. Because based on their comments mod 6 shoudl have had more than the average as we no longer had monthly updates.

JayDubya
01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

I was thinking about the same thing, when I was reading the descriptions - the raid zone has a bunch of small quests inside it.

It occurred to me that the Abbot preraid is really the same thing - 4 seperate quests, each with the same beginning and middle. If they had made it so you had to run the dragons seperately in the Tor, that would have been 3 similar quests as well.

Not sure what I think of the trend, just thought I would observe its presence.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
One thing that just popped into my head.

It's often said that Turbine robs DDO of money and talent for LoTRO. LoTRO is clearly a very successful game, in and of it's own. I'm not talking about the quality of the game, or if you like it.

But by this point, it's clear the game is a success and stands on it's own.

So anymore conjecturing about how Turbine robs from DDO to give to LoTRO is just silly. It stands on it's own, and I'm sure makes more then enough money. If anything, the success of LoTRO might mean more funding in general for DDO. No company is going to take money from a smaller budget, and give it to a project that doesn't need it. If anything, it's the otherway around. The product that makes money, helps improve other projects.

ArkoHighStar
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I was thinking about the same thing, when I was reading the descriptions - the raid zone has a bunch of small quests inside it.

It occurred to me that the Abbot preraid is really the same thing - 4 seperate quests, each with the same beginning and middle. If they had made it so you had to run the dragons seperately in the Tor, that would have been 3 similar quests as well.

Not sure what I think of the trend, just thought I would observe its presence.

the difference this time is that these quests can have 12 people in them, so we get 5 mini raids

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
My feeling is that 6.1 was meant to be part of 6, but because they wanted to deliver on time so to speak they went with the decsion to cut features from 6 and create a mini mod for 6.1. Because based on their comments mod 6 shoudl have had more than the average as we no longer had monthly updates.

I've never gotten the impression from any comment that module 6 should have had more. Oh I can totally see that they might have decided to take part of 6 and release it in Feb just for the anniversary. We shall see.

I think Mod 6 has a lot that doesn't revolve around questing and such, that took a lot of time. Like the whole ranged combat. That seems really massive, and at the same time, under the surface. It's like icebergs. What you see is the tip. But the main of it is underwater and you don't see that part.

or maybe like swans.

Anyway, i think a lot of stuff that is going into Module 6 falls in the invisible, but better for the game catagory.

Also, the Vale is huge. The biggest. That still takes time. If you make something twice as big as you have normally done, it still takes more time. That makes me wonder how big the 5 dungeons are and the raid zones.

moorewr
01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
One thing that just popped into my head.

It's often said that Turbine robs DDO of money and talent for LoTRO. LoTRO is clearly a very successful game, in and of it's own. I'm not talking about the quality of the game, or if you like it.

But by this point, it's clear the game is a success and stands on it's own.

So anymore conjecturing about how Turbine robs from DDO to give to LoTRO is just silly. It stands on it's own, and I'm sure makes more then enough money. If anything, the success of LoTRO might mean more funding in general for DDO. No company is going to take money from a smaller budget, and give it to a project that doesn't need it. If anything, it's the otherway around. The product that makes money, helps improve other projects.

Well, it can mean that qualified staff get robbed from an existing project to get the new one rolling, and it can mean that staffing decisions favor (inevitably) the popular hit over the innovative niche game.. but it can also mean that the two projects both benefit by sharing development tools and technology.

I think we've seen both of those effects, more the former than the latter, this past year. I'm optimistic about the coming months based on what I've seen so far.

My reaction to this depends on whether you can skip sections you have completed (I sure hope so), and how twitch-focused the described sections will be. Whirling Blade Frogger sounds fun, but I hope it will be a logic test more than a game of Portal*.

* The cake is a lie.

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
it sounds like you will need 12 to complete these raids, a little worried about the pacman frogger stuff.

jettmorrison
01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm kind of a newb and don't know alot about the raids. In response to what gamespot had to say about the new raid, they intimated that the raid would be playable for ALL players. What does that mean exactly? Are all the raids playable by everyone? How is this new raid different from the others, allowing everyone to play it?

Help a newbie out

ArkoHighStar
01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm kind of a newb and don't know alot about the raids. In response to what gamespot had to say about the new raid, they intimated that the raid would be playable for ALL players. What does that mean exactly? Are all the raids playable by everyone? How is this new raid different from the others, allowing everyone to play it?

Help a newbie out

Most of the past raids required a few tried and true strategies that more experienced players learned by trying it over and over. The new raid seems a bit more straight forward, meaning there are still puzzles but they are simpler thus lowering the bar for completion to average players who do not have time to learn complicated raid techniques

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Help a newbie out

what it means is you dont have to be a uber elite player to do some of the new raid and you wont need the best gear to complete some parts of it.

Sutek
01-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Looks awesome, I can't wait!

moorewr
01-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Help a newbie out

It should mean you wont need 60 relics (20 each of dragon, elf, and giant relics - 1-3 drops per quest) for the Stormreaver pre-raid) or eight sigil pieces (for the Abbot pre-raid), or to repeat tasks in the pre-raid to enter the raid.

For example, on average it seems you need to run each Orchard of the Macabre quest 2-3 times for the "unique drop" sigil pieces, and the quicker quests in there another 5-10 times to get a full set of pieces. Once you can enter the pre-raid you need to run it four times to access the bosses and kill them before you can enter the actual Abbot raid and get slaughtered.

The end result is that almost no one in my guild is done getting Abbot raid ready. Almost all of us have one or two pre-raids to run or an incomplete sigil on our mains, and no alts ready to rumble.

dragnmoon
01-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I love everything I see in this... I hope It is a great as they make it seem!!

Though I am still disappointed in the lack of spells.

Especially since the last Mod (+ Its mini Mods) that had a level raise, Mod 4, added 40+ spells.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
it sounds like you will need 12 to complete these raids, a little worried about the pacman frogger stuff.

people are reading way to much into that. When Gamespy realized that the Turbine staff and designed something in homage to another game, Gauntlet, it became a joke to releate other parts of the quest to other games.

The idea of 4 portals spewing out baddies is a good idea, where ever it came from.

GramercyRiff
01-17-2008, 10:26 AM
it mentions the level raise and giving access to 14 new spells, yet we only have 11 lev 8 spells listed (1 taken off but talked about in article so thats 12) and yet more then 14 listed overall (for all levs) so we still have 2 more spells to make appearance.. maybe earthquake will make it in afterall??

I don't think Earthquake is gonna be in. I logged into Risia yesterday and saw Symbol of Death as a new Cleric 8th level spell. It's limited to the PnP 150 HPs too, so it's worthless. So we have a new(er) spell, but it won't work. It and other spells based on PnP numbers need to change to that they will actually work in DDO.

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
people are reading way to much into that. When Gamespy realized that the Turbine staff and designed something in homage to another game, Gauntlet, it became a joke to releate other parts of the quest to other games.

The idea of 4 portals spewing out baddies is a good idea, where ever it came from.

well there was a part about getting teleported to 12 prison cells where you have to get out and make your way to each other

Brutous
01-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Thank You.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 10:45 AM
well there was a part about getting teleported to 12 prison cells where you have to get out and make your way to each other

Yes. And then they said that dodging knives was frogger, and the boss mobs ghost going back and being raised was pac man.

I think those were jokes.

Laith
01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
well there was a part about getting teleported to 12 prison cells where you have to get out and make your way to each otherteleported to 4 different corners of the map, not 12 prison cells.

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
teleported to 4 different corners of the map, not 12 prison cells.

in the first part four corners in another part prison cells

Laith
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
in the first part four corners in another part prison cells
true enough. we all die alone... playing frogger.

sounds like fun, really.

Dariuss
01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
i like frogger

GeneralDiomedes
01-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Actually the early 80s video games basically cover the archetypes of all realtime puzzles that will ever be made, so chances are any realtime puzzle will be similiar in some fashion. Video games nowadays are basically high on eye candy without adding anything new to the spatial/logical regime.

And I do believe they are early 80s video game/puzzle junkies .. and I think it's great. I don't know one wouldn't conclude that from the article.

Or maybe you are just once again reacting by throwing cold water on any theory which may cause one or more persons to view any aspect of the game negatively whatsoever ..

Greeka
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Well the new module goes live Jan 30, and barring no glitches or hitches should be up for some fun for all to see. I am looking forward to this to check out the crafting system to see how they worked this out and how one is supposed to go about find using or locating specific reciepes. Hopefully anyone can craft any item and it will not be class based reciepe system or something limiting like that. None the less, after watching the dev diary I am really excited about what the new module brings. Though I sense frustration with some of the missions, should be fun anyway.

G

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Actually the early 80s video games basically cover the archetypes of all realtime puzzles that will ever be made, so chances are any realtime puzzle will be similiar in some fashion. Video games nowadays are basically high on eye candy without adding anything new to the spatial/logical regime.

And I do believe they are early 80s video game/puzzle junkies .. and I think it's great. I don't know one wouldn't conclude that from the article.

Or maybe you are just once again reacting by throwing cold water on any theory which may cause one or more persons to view any aspect of the game negatively whatsoever ..

the fact is i was not being negitive about the puzzles just concerned the abbott comes to mind when i think of twitch puzzles and pacman and frogger make me think twitch

Cedrica-the-Bard
01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I can hardy wait!!! *giddy with excitement* :D

Kaboth
01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I am hoping that DDO picks up soon, I been a little down on motivation to play. I hoping the next couple of mods will salvage that.

szalkerous
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
*worships*

finally custom UI tools!!!!!!!!!

crafting!! all the goodies! AHHHH!!!

need to calm down :eek:

BTW: I fully, fully FULLY support the puzzle concepts introduced!! whereas I definitely appreciate the floor tile puzzles, and the "match the color wheel" puzzles, it was definitely time for something new! I want to be mentally challenged.

...and let the flood of rips on "mentally challenged" begin! LOL.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
*worships*

finally custom UI tools!!!!!!!!!

crafting!! all the goodies! AHHHH!!!

need to calm down :eek:

BTW: I fully, fully FULLY support the puzzle concepts introduced!! whereas I definitely appreciate the floor tile puzzles, and the "match the color wheel" puzzles, it was definitely time for something new! I want to be mentally challenged.

...and let the flood of rips on "mentally challenged" begin! LOL.

/picks up an ice pick.

Well, you want to be mentally challenged, I am to please...

/lunges at frontal lobes.

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM

How about keeping the personal comments out?

ccheath776
01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Ahh but question of the hour. What if one person fails?

Dane_McArdy
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Ahh but question of the hour. What if one person fails?

yeah! Will players be able to move to other players sections once they have completed thier section?

MrWizard
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM

:cool:

More videos with Kate please....:cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

ArkoHighStar
01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
More videos with Kate please....:cool: :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I think some people will be starting the Kate Paiz fan club

Raiderone
01-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Wait!! You mean the game's not dead? they are still developing new content? People still play this?

then what is all this doom-saying i'm reading everywhere all about? ;)

And Did you guys see the link there to the expansion pack, "Forsaken Lands"? What's that all about!?

LOL. Just playing. but I wonder how many flames i'll get for bringing the expansion pack back up. :eek:

Saw it. Maybe that's the surprise that's going to change Stormreach forever? Christmas coming early...

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach -- Forsaken Lands (PC)
An expansion to the MMO based on the classic pen-and-paper fantasy series.

Note: This expansion pack requires the full version of Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach to play.
Email a Friend Bookmark & Share IGN
Favorites Del.icio.us
Digg Google
Fark Slashdot
StumbleUpon Reddit
Live Yahoo MyWeb

More... by AddThis

Game Info

Developer Turbine
Publisher Atari
Genre RPG
Release Date TBA 2008

MysticTheurge
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Saw it. Maybe that's the surprise that's going to change Stormreach forever? Christmas coming early...

:(

Xaxx
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM

Note: This expansion pack requires the full version of Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach to play.
Favorites Del.icio.us
Digg Google
Fark Slashdot
StumbleUpon Reddit
Live Yahoo MyWeb

More... by AddThis

Game Info

Developer Turbine
Publisher Atari
Genre RPG
Release Date TBA 2008

why does it NOT surprise me this popped up again....
please please please please do searches on this kind of stuff first

that "expansion" is module 3 and has been up on websights.. for like goin on 2 years now

akla_thornfist
01-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Favorites Del.icio.us
Digg Google
Fark Slashdot
StumbleUpon Reddit
Live Yahoo MyWeb

More... by AddThis

Game Info

Developer Turbine
Publisher Atari
Genre RPG
Release Date TBA 2008

oh no not this again

winsom
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Great DEV Diary !!!

I'd love to see Turbine do more to get the word out that is not simply another MMO, but truly something unique. You've got #1 combat in MMOs (IMO), AND you've got the D&D license. This game should be golden.!!

Very true. Even DDO-haters can often have a good opinion of DDO's combat system. A couple of my friends recently threw away their DDO materials never planning to play it again because "it's pretty bad" (in short). However, both of them told me the DDO combat system was fun for them, for the few months they played.

ccheath776
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Favorites Del.icio.us
Digg Google
Fark Slashdot
StumbleUpon Reddit
Live Yahoo MyWeb

More... by AddThis

Game Info

Developer Turbine
Publisher Atari
Genre RPG
Release Date TBA 2008

Ohhhhh no. Not again

Cheg
01-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Gamespy seems to be having server trouble right now, everything loading real slow. I'll try and view that dev diary soon :(

Unless it is sourced to anywhere else too?

TFPAQ
01-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Ah, posted here too.

Oh we're so screwed.

I think that your friendly neighborhood cleric has a solution to that......

MysticTheurge
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I think that your friendly neighborhood cleric has a solution to that......

I don't know. There are so many good 8th level cleric spells, it's going to be a hard decision what to take. I might not take Mass Death Ward. You never know.

:rolleyes:

ArkoHighStar
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
I don't know. There are so many good 8th level cleric spells, it's going to be a hard decision what to take. I might not take Mass Death Ward. You never know.

:rolleyes:

especially since when you cast it everyone but you gets it:D