PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to Improve Abbot Raid. (Warning: Spoilers included)

sirgog
01-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Gave the Abbot a good shot recently, found it was indeed fun, but frustrating at the same time.

Here's a couple of suggestions.

1) Put in the changes in this week's WDA. Hooray. Good start.

2) Prevent teleportation of party members holding puzzle completion items (such as Ice Wands).

3) Prevent teleportation of party members to puzzles other party members have already successfully completed.

4) Make the Inferno survivable on Normal by a party with solid tactics, and on Hard by a highly-twinked-out party with perfect tactics. Don't let groups survive it on elite without the Ice Wands. (Currently I believe dwarven battleclerics with insane HP, Risia cakes and Quickened Heal can survive it on Normal, but noone else can - perhaps tone it down so that Hard becomes like this). This allows parties that fail this puzzle the first time a second chance - but never a second chance on Elite.

5) Make the Phasing Wraith more deadly (perhaps give it an adamantine-equivalent attack so it ignores Stoneskin, and double the SP its attacks drain), but remove the requirement to solve the Goggles puzzle to defeat the Abbot. Without Ventrillo (for its reduced-lag voicechat) this can only be completed through sheer dumb luck. Under this suggestion, the quest as a whole can be completed by parties using text chat or in-game voice chat only, but those who have the tools (Ventrillo) to beat the goggles puzzle are rewarded.

6) Reflect the puzzle requirements in the Quest Objectives panel.

Kerr
01-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I stand by my original suggestion.

Make Dimension Doors or portals appear when the Abbot gets to the first tier of damage that allow people to CHOOSE who goes to the puzzles. That way people prepared, with voice, whatever, can be the ones to try the puzzles instead of making it random.

And there's no reason they couldn't make ONE puzzle required on Normal, TWO puzzles required on Hard, and THREE puzzles required on Elite.

CaptGrim
01-16-2008, 11:00 AM
And there's no reason they couldn't make ONE puzzle required on Normal, TWO puzzles required on Hard, and THREE puzzles required on Elite.

This is a very good idea.

It solves the whole "TEH GOGLE PUZL IZ 2 HRD!!11!" problem.

Impaqt
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
This is a very good idea.

It solves the whole "TEH GOGLE PUZL IZ 2 HRD!!11!" problem.

How many times have you completed it?

Shade
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
1) Put in the changes in this week's WDA. Hooray. Good start.

Like much of the erroneous stuff listed in the WDA - all the ones pertaining to the abbot have already been implemented.

Kinda doubting we will see any changes to it in mod6 at this point =/

Hvymetal
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
How many times have you completed it?I might suggest talking with people on the EU servers about the goggle problem. One of them was stating that here and in EU ice & asteroids was getting completed fairly regularly, meanwhile I guess on the Japanese & Chinese (did we even have Chinese servers? I really had no idea) are getting fairly consistent results on the goggles yet not ice & asteroids....

Lifespawn
01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
ice and asteroids completed regularly on us goggles not yet tho very hard to get the ppl u want in there.

Portals allowing 2 and only 2 ppl to choose them and then disappear would solve this imo.

sirgog
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Congrats to the Japanese guild that nailed the new Abbot on normal.

I still stand by my suggestions. The goggles puzzle was completable in Japan due to widespread use of fibreoptic internet connections that are much much faster than my Australian ADSL2 connection.

Remove the invulnerable Abbot consequence of failure on the goggles puzzle, and replace it with a different consequence - a more deadly Phasing Wraith.

oronisi
01-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Has nobody mentioned that the devs originally stated that you didn't need to do the minigames to complete the raid?? How about they stand by their original statements (this was AFTER the raid was released by the way).

maddmatt70
01-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Like much of the erroneous stuff listed in the WDA - all the ones pertaining to the abbot have already been implemented.

Kinda doubting we will see any changes to it in mod6 at this point =/

Those are new Shade. It will be great when you don't have to complete it one pass - if for instance you fail the ice puzzle which is the easiest but beat the harder two. You can then make it to the next teleport phase and get another chance at the ice puzzle. Yes, I have made it to another teleport post patch without having beaten ice. The other change is cryptic in its words, but from what I can discern you don't die when you fail the puzzle, but instead continuously get resent to the puzzles until you beat them..

Talon_Moonshadow
01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I haven't done the Abbot yet. (Still need that last sigil piece :( )
But from what I have read, and from what I have seen with other puzzles in this game......I don't understand why they just can't make the timing for the puzzle more leniant.

for instance, VON5.....the four levers to shoot somone up to the platform are in theory to be pullled at the same time.........but in practice there is a huge amount of leaway....to the point that I have never seen voice lag to be a problem with this.

The infamous STR/Wiz/Ranged runes/levers also have a huge lvl of forgiveness.

Only the Titan raid and that disappearinf floor seem to really have a timing problem right now. (I think that one should be relaxed as well....but at least it is doable)

Why can't they just make the puzzles more forgiving to players reaction times? To me this eems like they way to go.
Don't remove the puzzles....you guys put a lot of work into them......just make them easier to solve.

Shade
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Those are new Shade.

Nah, they were implemented in 5.2 (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=129461), listed exactly the same. Quarion probably jus got some the notes mixed up.

This one:
The three trials contained within the Black Abbot raid no longer need to all be completed in a single teleport pass and the Black Abbot will now send you back to the three trials if you have not yet beaten them, rather than simply continuing the battle immortal.

Simply means that you get teleported infinte times and the % of health you gota knock off him to get him to do it is lower. You still die if you fall into a pit or water.

In the initial release he would only teleport you to the puzzles twice. Same with 5.1 update - meaning you had to beat all 3 at once in either the first or the 2nd attempt, after that he would imortal forever and you didn't get any more chances, now you do.