PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Melee fighting

Zuldar
01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
With the recent concerns of the slow down in attack progression at BAB 15, and the other concerns that tha raising attack bonus will lead to inflated mob armor class.

I propose that we give all characters a semi-generic attack animation, consisting of 6, 7, or however many attack animations the dev's care to develop. With this in place we could have every swing roll to hit for all the attacks that the character has, at the normal pnp attack rate of -5 per each further attack.

i.e. A lvl 10 fighter with a bab of 10 would have 3 attacks in ddo, the first attack at +10, the "ddo granted" attack all characters have at the same bonus of +10, and then a last attack at +5.

One "hit" would consist of rolling these three attacks and dealing damage based on which ones hit. The character would then cycle through the attack animations perfoming this feature over and over.

A possible side affect is that melee characters would do higher bursts of damage, this could help them to compare with higher level casters.

Now if only we could do something about ranged fighting.

Impaqt
01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Um, No.. The Real Time element of DDO is what sets it apart from other MMO's.

Zuldar
01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Um, No.. The Real Time element of DDO is what sets it apart from other MMO's.

This would still be real time, the only difference would be instead of rolling one hit at a time you would roll all of them.

creithne
01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
This would still be real time, the only difference would be instead of rolling one hit at a time you would roll all of them.

How is pushing the button once for multiple attack rolls, real time?

The_Phenx
01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Aye Laddie... bad mojo there.

The solution is to set a definate time for a "round"

All further attack sequences and progressions and animaitons must speed up to fit into the specified ammount of time to fit your # of attacks into that "round" at base speed levels.

I think your attack speed should have increased at bab 5 10 15 20 as well as adding new animations. To fit the additional attacks into the same specified time... Think a hasted animation sans haste.

This would have been the proper way to implement things.

Having new animations is awesome but if you get an additional 2 attacks a round and the round takes 2 secconds longer to animate all you have done is make your attack animation a little cooler looking and gained nothing.

My $.02

Zuldar
01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Simple, clicking the right mouse button would launch the attack as normal, now instead of rolling just one hit it would roll all the hits, much like when a character is two weapon or two handed fighting it would launch several attacks.

This would apply the same concept, with the exception that instead of glancing blows, or the additional attacks from two weapon fighting it would roll the characters attacks based on bab.

The combat would play exactly the same, with the one exception that melee combatants would get more attack rolls per swing.

BlueLightBandit
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
A possible side affect is that melee characters would do higher bursts of damage, this could help them to compare with higher level casters.

If your intention is to compare different character classes, then I disagree with any and every thing you might have to say based on principle alone.

In fact, the post was fine until you brought this up.

McGraham
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Ummm No.

The D&D rules have been established to roll your required dice per attack. Do not change the rules to satisfy what you view as a "dumbing" down of your fighting abilities.

You wanna do damage like a caster ... ?? Then be a caster. How difficult is that?

Zuldar
01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Ummm No.

The D&D rules have been established to roll your required dice per attack. Do not change the rules to satisfy what you view as a "dumbing" down of your fighting abilities.

You wanna do damage like a caster ... ?? Then be a caster. How difficult is that?

I have a caster, Briggins Alloway on the Thelanis server.

Anyway I merely brought this point up seeing as many people are posting how they feel casters are "overpowering" melee oriented people at higher levels.

I personally see casters being more powerful as natural when you compare earth shattering magic to swinging a silly sword. (Note this is a personal view, please take it as such.)

If anything I would like to see casters become more powerful through the inclusion of the rest of the core spells, or at the least most of them; however, that's a thread for a different discussion.

Hvymetal
01-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I have a caster, Briggins Alloway on the Thelanis server.

Anyway I merely brought this point up seeing as many people are posting how they feel casters are "overpowering" melee oriented people at higher levels.

I personally see casters being more powerful as natural when you compare earth shattering magic to swinging a silly sword. (Note this is a personal view, please take it as such.)

If anything I would like to see casters become more powerful through the inclusion of the rest of the core spells, or at the least most of them; however, that's a thread for a different discussion.
However, your suggestion for melee would begin to emasculate whatever fun is left in melee even further....