PDA

View Full Version : New Player, Drawn to Warforged

Cloudywolf
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi, I am new to the DDO experience. Whenever I play games like this I am often drawn to the "outcast" lesser-played race as I enjoy the challenge. I do not have access to the 32 point build being a newbie. What would be a good 28 point build to go for as a 'forged? I enjoy playing both fighters and casters. I would prefer a "pure" build, as I do not like to multiclass as a rule. I prefer to be self-sufficient/able to solo well, but also useful in a group. ((yah yah I want everything it seems!))

I've seen a few builds around but most seem multiclass/focused on being 32 point or eating items that I don't have.

All suggestions most appreciated!

Aspenor
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi, I am new to the DDO experience. Whenever I play games like this I am often drawn to the "outcast" lesser-played race as I enjoy the challenge. I do not have access to the 32 point build being a newbie. What would be a good 28 point build to go for as a 'forged? I enjoy playing both fighters and casters. I would prefer a "pure" build, as I do not like to multiclass as a rule. I prefer to be self-sufficient/able to solo well, but also useful in a group. ((yah yah I want everything it seems!))

I've seen a few builds around but most seem multiclass/focused on being 32 point or eating items that I don't have.

Pure wizard.

You will have good spell DCs, great self healing abilities, and numerous immunities such as poison, disease, and hold person.

EinarMal
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Caster is the way to go, warforged make excellent wizards (probably better than sorc as a first character so you can play with different spells).

14 Warforged Wizard Neutral

Str 8
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 6
Cha 12

All level ups into Int.

Skills:
Concentration
UMD
Jump
Balance

Feats
1-Mental Toughness
1-(WB) Extend
3-SF UMD
5-(WB) Maximize
6-SF Necro
9-Spell Penetration
10-(WB) Heighten
12-GSF Necro
15-Greater Spell Penetration
15-(WB) Quicken

If you want to kill things with finger of death do the above build, you could easily swap Necro for Enchantment if you prefer crowd control and charming things.

Enhancements:
Warforged Con II
Fire and Ice Enhancements
Wizard Int III
Spell Penetration
Whatever....

EspyLacopa
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Pure wizard.

You will have good spell DCs, great self healing abilities, and numerous immunities such as poison, disease, and hold monster.

Fixed in bold.

WeaselKing
01-14-2008, 01:25 PM

I recommend the WF wizard as we are the master race but need those with high intel to rule over the lesser (read: melee) WF classes. I would recommend the following build for a starter build:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117597

It is a good basic build, though perhaps the str is a little high in my experience. There is plenty of room in this build to mess around with skill points and enhancements and it is a 28 point build. Good luck and if you play on Argonesson look up The Mithril Hand if you go caster or The Iron Hand if you go melee, we would be happy to have you.

Whulffer
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree, a wf wizzy is an excellent first class.
I prefer to play the wf sorc, but the wizzy. Other players will highly critique a wf sorc, the wizard not. In fact some will say the wf wizzy is undoubtedly the superior wizzy.

If you look for a guild and are above the age of 18, go to the who page on the social panel and sort by alphabetical guild for the Lord of Blades, perhaps we can help you get some stuff done, hang out, and learn then ropes for a bit. There is a new guild as well, the Warforged Union, but I know not much about em'.

EinarMal
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I recommend the WF wizard as we are the master race but need those with high intel to rule over the lesser (read: melee) WF classes. I would recommend the following build for a starter build:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117597

It is a good basic build, though perhaps the str is a little high in my experience. There is plenty of room in this build to mess around with skill points and enhancements and it is a 28 point build. Good luck and if you play on Argonesson look up The Mithril Hand if you go caster or The Iron Hand if you go melee, we would be happy to have you.

Yeah don't follow that build, strength is a total waste long term. You are much better of putting skill points into UMD and putting some points into charisma. Feats you can swap, but you cannot change your starting stats or skills. With 12 starting charisma you can easily hit 18 with a +6 item at high levels.

UMD for Mod6:
9(Base) +4(Cha) +7(Items) +4(GH) +3(SF)=27

That is very useful at high levels allowing you to raise dead and do other things like equip any race restricted item.

Cloudywolf
01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Thank you for all of your help! I am rolling my WF wizard on Argonnessen right now. :-)

EspyLacopa
01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah don't follow that build, strength is a total waste long term.

Tell that to the Arcane Psycho
(http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=116254)

EinarMal
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Tell that to the Arcane Psycho
(http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=116254)

Yeah did you actually read the linked build before posting. That build has 14 strength for the harbor and was not designed like a battle mage. So, no I don't have to tell Nick anything I am well aware of his build and that it works well. Also, for a first time character you are better of playing a traditional caster versus a battle mage which requires a lot of skill to pull off.

The linked build was using 14 strength for the harbor, and did not put level ups into strength. That is useless at high levels. For a traditional warforged caster strength is a dump stat. I would also not recommend a new player playing a variant build like a battle caster for their first build.

Ghoste
01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
If you make a wf wizard on the Argonnessen server, The Mithril Hand, a small wf caster guild, would welcome you. We try to do what we can to train new players via in game coaching and info on our forums.

As far as builds, my favorite is the shadow mage (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=127707). Pure wizard with enough stealth to make soloing easier, and still strong group potential.

Oran_Lathor
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Welcome to Stormreach, Cloudy! I agree with the others and would go with either EinarMal's build above, or Ghoste's Shadowmage.

Ghoste
01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
14 Warforged Wizard Neutral

Str 8
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 6
Cha 12

All level ups into Int.

Skills:
Concentration
UMD
Jump
Balance

Why go 12 cha if you don't put any points into any charisma based skills? Did you mean to put 12 for wisdom instead?

Impaqt
01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah don't follow that build, strength is a total waste long term. You are much better of putting skill points into UMD and putting some points into charisma. Feats you can swap, but you cannot change your starting stats or skills. With 12 starting charisma you can easily hit 18 with a +6 item at high levels.

UMD for Mod6:
9(Base) +4(Cha) +7(Items) +4(GH) +3(SF)=27

That is very useful at high levels allowing you to raise dead and do other things like equip any race restricted item.

+7 Items????? Somone found a +7 UMD Item? How did I miss that?

EinarMal
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
+7 Items????? Somone found a +7 UMD Item? How did I miss that?

+5 7 Finger +2 (Head) = +7 from Items note the plural form of the word ;)

EinarMal
01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Why go 12 cha if you don't put any points into any charisma based skills? Did you mean to put 12 for wisdom instead?

No, UMD is listed....

Hvymetal
01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
No, UMD is listed....Isn't that a rather steep investment in build points for a newer player to make on the assumption that they are going to aquire raid/rare loot at a later point in oreder to really make use of their UMD skill? Other-wise it's sort of a wasted skill up until that point. Most of the lower level stuff that one would UMD a WF wiz isn't going to have to worry about UMDing.

EinarMal
01-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Isn't that a rather steep investment in build points for a newer player to make on the assumption that they are going to aquire raid/rare loot at a later point in oreder to really make use of their UMD skill? Other-wise it's sort of a wasted skill up until that point. Most of the lower level stuff that one would UMD a WF wiz isn't going to have to worry about UMDing.

Well, either you like playing the character and continue to play it, learn the game, and eventually aquire loot or you don't like the game, or playing casters and delete it. UMD is very powerful even for just equiping items. Where else are you going to put the stat points? Strength and Dex have very little benefit at upper levels for a caster build. You could start with 18 Con instead of 16, that would be a valid way to go.

Even with "normal" items, a cartouche and a +1 luck item that anyone can get at level 16 you are looking at a UMD of:

9(Rank) +3(Cartouche) +1(Rabbit Gloves or Stone of Good Luck) +4(GH) +4(Cha) +3(SF UMD)=24

That allows you to equip any RR items and use raise dead scrolls, would you have to roll a few scrolls to get the cleric up (yes), but you could still use them.

So no it is not a waste, it is planning ahead. It is very likely that even higher UMD items will be put into the game at some point as well.

It would also allow you to take Force of Personality if you felt like it for the ability to ignore wisdom entirely. With 12 Base charisma you can hit 20 (most likely) by level 16 with a +2 tome. If you keep wisdom at 6, and don't bother with a wisdom item that is a nice +7 to will saves and item flexibility.

The bottom line is in 2 months a new player could stick with one character and cap them, aquiring a decent amount of loot in the process. Raid items add +3 to UMD over "normal" items, nice but not really critical.

If you play the game you eventually will get some good stuff, +2 tomes should start dropping from chests unbound in the next mod and I did not count that into the UMD score listed.

Starting with 14 strength or some other thing that is not useful at the cap is just asking for a re-roll. Why not plan for higher levels where you will spend the majority of the time?

Riorik
01-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Isn't that a rather steep investment in build points for a newer player to make on the assumption that they are going to aquire raid/rare loot at a later point in oreder to really make use of their UMD skill? Other-wise it's sort of a wasted skill up until that point. Most of the lower level stuff that one would UMD a WF wiz isn't going to have to worry about UMDing.

It's one of those things where you simply need to do it early (character creation) or just plan to not do it at all.
These days, in my opinion, the better raid loot is easier to get - a portion of that is repetition (it used to just be the raiding guilds that tended to know how to do them quickly/well) - another portion is, a lot of those high repetition raiders already have the items they wanted and they're running the raids for other reasons...

As an example, I recall seeing multiple +3 stat tomes go up for a roll in PUG reavers because the person getting the item already had consumed one. (+3 tomes are pretty much the top loot in any raid currently...easily the most rare...rather obvious it's intended by Turbine)

Cloudywolf
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
I ended up going with the shadow mage build, as I am not a fan of building around hoped for item drops... at least not on my first character. ^.^ as the trend seems to level up as many alts as possible in this game, perhaps my second character will make use of UMD. Anyway, I had to lower the strength and wisdom by two each as starting stats, since I didn't have the extra four, but hopefully that won't impact the way the character plays too much.

So far haven't really had much chance to try out the stealth stuff though? The n00b quests just don't seem very geared towards it for the most part. Have had a bit of problems with stuff noticing me easily at the beginning when I have tried it. /shrug Practice will make better I guess!

Hvymetal
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, either you like playing the character and continue to play it, learn the game, and eventually aquire loot or you don't like the game, or playing casters and delete it. UMD is very powerful even for just equiping items. Where else are you going to put the stat points? Strength and Dex have very little benefit at upper levels for a caster build. You could start with 18 Con instead of 16, that would be a valid way to go.

Even with "normal" items, a cartouche and a +1 luck item that anyone can get at level 16 you are looking at a UMD of:

9(Rank) +3(Cartouche) +1(Rabbit Gloves or Stone of Good Luck) +4(GH) +4(Cha) +3(SF UMD)=24

That allows you to equip any RR items and use raise dead scrolls, would you have to roll a few scrolls to get the cleric up (yes), but you could still use them.

So no it is not a waste, it is planning ahead. It is very likely that even higher UMD items will be put into the game at some point as well.

It would also allow you to take Force of Personality if you felt like it for the ability to ignore wisdom entirely. With 12 Base charisma you can hit 20 (most likely) by level 16 with a +2 tome. If you keep wisdom at 6, and don't bother with a wisdom item that is a nice +7 to will saves and item flexibility.

The bottom line is in 2 months a new player could stick with one character and cap them, aquiring a decent amount of loot in the process. Raid items add +3 to UMD over "normal" items, nice but not really critical.

If you play the game you eventually will get some good stuff, +2 tomes should start dropping from chests unbound in the next mod and I did not count that into the UMD score listed.

Starting with 14 strength or some other thing that is not useful at the cap is just asking for a re-roll. Why not plan for higher levels where you will spend the majority of the time?
Agreed, but personally I would just go CON, at least for a WF Wizard. My reasoning behind this is as a Wizard you are not really gear dependent, most things you would want to normally equip are aligned weapons (not really a issue for a non-battle type caster) and rr gear. The only real benifit you are gaining out of the RR gear is getting to use some gear (if you can get ahold of rr gear) is getting to use the items a little earlier than aquired non-rr gear. You already have access to the wands you really need, Repairs & Remove Curse (and why is my Wiz one of the only ones that seems to carry Remove Curse Wands? It's on our spell list people we can use em). Only potions you really have to carry is Remove Blindness (until you get an item), Remove Fear & Lesser Restoration (not as much an issue for Warforged).

Granted the extra 2 CON isn't all that benificial (+1 Fort save +14 HP at level 14), but IMO neither is the UMD for a starting WF Wiz for a new player, had he not been WF I would agree and go the UMD route. I just think that it takes a large investment in UMD to start getting to use the Really usefull stuff. Sure it can be handy to use a Cure Wand on your fallen pawns.... errr.... I mean party members (if they're still usefull to you:D), but honestly as a Wiz you could readilly affored to splash 1 level of another class to acomplish the same goal with less effort, and probablly more benifits.

While I agree that it is of utmost importance to plan ahead to the higher levels, also have to remember that most 1st characters are going to get re-rolled or a new improved version will be made, and the limited rescources a new player is going to have until basically they start hitting the 11-12ish level range.

Ghoste
01-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Private message sent to the OP.

Ghoste
01-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Just my personal opinion, but I think UMD loses A LOT of it's usefulness for warforged wizards. Not all of its usefulness, just a lot.

sirgog
01-16-2008, 01:30 AM
One thing I recommend - get your Strength above 10 with items. Few things are more annoying than being hit with -10 Str from a Ray of Enfeeblement and being dropped so low (to 0 Str) that you cannot use a lesser restoration potion.

Don't waste precious build points doing this, however.