PDA

View Full Version : Tell Tolero #3

Tolero
01-13-2008, 10:27 AM
It's that time again! Talk to Tolero!

How it works:
I'll be asking you questions, and here in my thread, you tell me: What comes to mind; what you think; how you feel; etc, as it relates to the question(s) at hand. If you missed the previous week's questions, they'll be listed below and you can answer them here too. Thank you so much to everyone for offering their answers!

Ground Rules:
Before we get started, let's lay down three ground rules if you're going to participate in the thread. These ground rules also have a few samples to help clarify participation:

#1 - The single most important rule to remember while participating in this thread is:
No personal attacks.
If you disagree with the opinion of another participant, that's fine, but no one can make anyone agree to their opinion. Thus, please refrain from commenting on the personal qualities of others who offer their responses to the question(s). Personal attacks go against forum guidelines. Questions asked will be subjective, and some users will have a lot related to their opinion, while others may only define things in short phrases. All forms are acceptable.
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "Do you like ice cream?"
Player 1 "I hate ice cream because it's too tough to scoop"
Acceptable "I like it. It's not that bad to scoop once you let it sit on the counter for a little bit before you try to dip it Player 1."
Acceptable "I like it but I have the same problem as Player 1. What brand is it Player 1?"
Acceptable "I don't think it's too hard, I never have any problem with it. I like ice cream."
Unacceptable "That's cause you're a noob..."
Unacceptable "You don't have enough experience with scooping to be talking about how difficult it is"
Unacceptable "How about you back that opinion up with some numbers. If you can't prove it don't bring it here"

Everyone has the right to offer their response to the question(s), whether they have scientific data to back up their feelings, or they simply just "feel" a certain way towards the question(s).

#2 - Participate as well as discuss.
If you would like to join in the discussion, please be sure to offer your response to the questions as well, in addition to your conversation with any other thread participants
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "What's your favorite color?"
Player 1 "Blue"
Player 2 "Green"
Acceptable "Purple... hey Player 2, how come you like Green?"
Unacceptable "hey Player 2 how come you like Green?"

Please be sure to take the time to offer your own opinion of the question(s) before you engage in a discussion about other people's opinions in the thread.

#3 - Don't recycle the above hypothetical examples in your responses ;) as it spams the thread.
-------------------------- Let's Get Started! --------------------------

If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories

Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?

This week's question(s) are:

Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO?

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?

Zenako
01-13-2008, 10:30 AM
#1 - PC Gamer IIRC

#2 - Auction House scanning lately

#3 - INterface: Intuitive controls that rely on knowledge more than twitch skills. Design: Consistency

spyyder976
01-13-2008, 10:33 AM
(Oops! Somebody hit enter before me...but I KNOW I was first!:).)

1. Dungeon Magazine ad I believe, as well as internet buzz.

2. Mailing stuff to alts, managing packed out inventories...give us more bank space plz!

3. Engaging storylines/immersive environments...which DDO does well-Thanks for making such a great game!

Talish
01-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO? First learned about the game from a large ad in a gamer magazine advertising the stress tests that took place in beta.

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing? Helping newcomers

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you? The more control I have in combat the happier I am.

Tanka
01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Question 1
From a friend on rpg.net -- he had a spare trial key and asked if I wanted to try it out. Been hooked ever since.

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?
Browsing the AH, talking to guildies, talking to other friends, or on the forums.

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?
Customization. Everyone looking the same is boring. Bring CoX's creation system to DDO and it'd be killer!

Aspenor
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
1. gamespot.com
2. In-game I am hanging out talking to people watching auctions, outside of game I take care of real life lol.
3. Remaining live.

gelgoog
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
question one.
gaming websites.

question two.
shopping/checking out auction house/buying pots/wands/reviewing character stats/inventory.

question three.
soloing to where the risk/time/resources are equal to the reward of xp/loot.

/shrug

Lithic
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Question 1
Saw it on the shelves at Future shop. Hesitated at first due to having previously purchased the real-time ebberon strategy game that totally sucked (I forget the name), but decided to give it a shot. Proceeded to spend 3 hours finding a decent name that wasnt taken. That was the week of release.

Question 2
Playing around in the adventure areas, or looking at auctions

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?[/QUOTE]
Being able to do finish everything. Having the adventure levels uncompletable past their level limit really is putting a damper on my enjoyment of this game. I dont care if it takes forever, I just want the chance to be able to finish everything.

moorewr
01-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Question 1

A friend who had joined right after launch was in town and sat me down and made me do a 10-day free trial.

Question 2

Talking to my guildmates on ventrilo while I juggle equipment between my characters.

Question 3

Teamwork! I'm a very social gamer.

Asal
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Question 1

I do not remember but I followed it all thru development and got in the Beta as soon as I could. I have wanted to play D&D on a computer since I bought my first computer in 83. This is the closest to PnP yet.

Question 2

Auction house (only thing I do is chat with friends)

Question 3

This is a hard question to answer. It is more what I do not like. I guess the thing need to find a game enjoyable is no endless nerf and class changes.

McGraham
01-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Tolero,

I hope you don't mind, but I just rediscoved these forums and this game. I say rediscovered only because I was gone for about a year or so.

And since I missed the first two parts of this series, I'd like to address those questions as well just to get me currnet with the program. So with your permission ...

----------

Questions from #1 in the series:

Question 1
If you could describe your favorite play style in one word, what would that word be?

It would have to be Solo. I understand that DDO is meant to be a player group oriented game, but I find myself playing more solo than I do grouping, since coming back.

Question 2
What is your favorite thing about DDO?

The enviroment that the dev tried/are trying to create and be true to.

Question 3
If our CEO gave you a ring of three wishes, what would you wish for?

Being from the old school of TSR 1.xx rule set and a pnp D&D player, my first wish would really be for a de-evolving of the D&D/AD&D/WoTC/DDO/Etc., programs. During the 1.x rule sets when players were specialized in their own race/class aspects you found the players depending more on each other than trying to get the rules bent to allow players to make "super heros" where everyone is capable of having all the benefits of all the races and classes. That kind of melding of a character is just wrong.
Second thing would be for a more immersive world. I'm a player that does not always find joy in ransacking a dungeon on a full tilt run. EQ sorta had this figured out with their character improvement and character involvement of the "world".
Thirdly I'd wish for a return of the "true" D&D style players. Now days and it's been a while in developement many players come to the game with an "I want it and I want it now!" mentality. D&D was never created for this type of mentality. A lot less Zerging would have to be my third wish.

---------

Questions from #2 in the series

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

I have to say No. I tried Ultima online, then went to Everquest.

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?

First I would hope that I got appointed because everyone knew me and what I stood for. But if that was not the case, then I'd like to meet the team on a one on one basis. Get to know them, what they think, what they feel needs to be or taken away from the project, helping them to come to know me and my likes and dislikes as well. Hoping to be able to come to common grounds on areas of differening opinions, but always moving the project ahead.

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories

Stories. I mean what good is a past time if you can't take something away from it? One of my more enjoyable things to do is find the personal stories posted on the forums and read them. Invariably the best stories contain people, fun, and winning. Reading how a team of people had to depend on each other for survival and the fun they had doing it is icing on the cake when you reach the end of the story and read that they ultimately won their quest.

Question 4

The immersivness. If it does change I hope it only gets better. When playing pnp I always imagined the dungeons the way I see them rendered in DDO, especially in the waterworks or the steam tunnels. Dark, dank, clostophobic feeling. More immersivenss in this regard would be better but I hope what exists now will never change.

---------

Questions from #3 in this series (this weeks questions)

Question 1

It was during one of my moods of looking for something different to occupy my time and musing about the old pnp D&D days. I was looking on the internet for a local pnp group and the Turbine link came up on a search. I learned the game was in Beta and looking for testers, as you can see in my signature, I'm still carrying a founder number. :)

Question 2

If I'm not in game, I'm working. When in game, (my time to relax) I'm enjoying the immersivenss of Ebberon. I wish there were more of this available. Exploring every nook and cranny of the world I find myself in.

Question 3

Again, being from the old school of pnp D&D, I'd like to see it devolve back to the former rules where the character was something special. Where you needed at least one of every class in order to make a true quest work. But then doing that would also greatly eliminate the solo aspect of the game which I enjoy so much as well. And unfortunately as a solo player I miss much of the many other aspects of the game because I don't carry all the various skills and talents. I tend to play "true" class characters. So I would say class specific solo quests would make it enjoyable.

At one time, (I say this cuz I'm not current on all the rules atm) Paladins were allowed to gather "henchmen" to themselves based on level and the like. They could also ammass wealth to a degree and build a keep. I'd like to see a DDO aspect of various character capabilites impliemented. I'd like to gather NPC henchmen to my Pally, and I'd love to be able to establish a keep/house/castle.

Hope these help you Tolero.

I look forward to the next series!

DasLurch
01-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Question 1

I saw an ad in one of the gaming mags about free beta passes. I wasn't lucky enough to score one, but I'm still here :)

Question 2

Hawking stuff at the AH.

Question 3

I'm going to go a little more basic on this one. I love that it still is fun to play. It's not really a feature, but that's the most important thing to me. There are things that I wish it had as well, and someone did mention the City of Heroes/Villians creation bit which is the best thing about that game, but I won't be here if it's not fun to play. I like that this game is fast paced, I like that it makes you think, and I really like that it sort of "makes you play with others" as a way to really get into the game. If you want a more specific answer than that, you'll have to wait a while I guess. That is one of the reasons we can edit our posts though :)

Kisaragi
01-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Question 1
A.) I had been hearing about DDO coming out for like four months before it was released from Mmorpg.com. When the first beta came along and people signed up, I hopped on board and been here ever since.

Question 2
A.) Tweaking my characters, looking for inventory on AH. Most of the time now I try to find ways of consolidating what I have so it takes up less space, or I get more advantages, or things work better for my play style. I spend hours at a time working on how to squeeze another .005% out of the character to make it more suited to myself.

That being said, I wish there were role-playing elements within the game. Housing that I could get decorations for. Clothing I could shop for. Characters I could interact with to become more connected. Things I could do non-combat, such as researching new spells, studying ancient lore, or crafting new items. And of course play mini-games. Unlike Seamus Luckypenny who always seems to win. Things like magic mini-games, archery ranges, flying courses, horseback riding, and even timed monster fights.

Question 3
A.) Options.I like making each character different. Even if they're the same class and race. I like making each character in the world treated by the world a little different. At the same time I enjoy options in making characters, I also enjoy options changing the world. Where decisions I make, influence what the character becomes. The world treats one character vastly different then another one.

Beherit_Baphomar
01-13-2008, 12:12 PM

[center]This week's question(s) are:

Question 1
I think it was on myspace mebbe?! But wherever it was it was a lil ad-link that was advertising the free 7-day trial. Id played DnD and wanted to check DDO out...and here I am.

Question 2
Sorting inventory, trolling the AH and the vendors, trying to see where I can jump to, PvP'ing.

Question 3
Dunno, get back to ya.

Answers in rogue.

WestiesMA
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Question 1

Gamespot. I saw an article about the game being developed, and I immediately tracked it. I applied for the closed beta and was accepted!

Question 2

Chatting with guildies, toon maintenance, PvP occasionally.

Question 3

Immersive environment, variety, lack of bugs.

marcosoneghett
01-13-2008, 12:14 PM

In an internet article on a game site.

Buying supplies, managing my inventories and checking the aunction house.

A game has to be a non-linear experience to me. Multiple possibilities.

Deriaz
01-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Question 1

- Heard about the beta, and applied. Never got in. Then, stumbled back across the game when a friend and I were looking for an online D&D program.

Question 2

- Roleplaying, and chatting with friends. Oh, and running circles around the Marketplace. (Don't ask.)

Question 3

- STORYLINE! By far.

-D

Raithe
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Question 1

I saw it while perusing the games section of the electronics department of a department store. I don't usually buy games much anymore, but I thought this one would be right up my alley...

Question 2

Taking pictures, playing with the 3D game engine (jumping, sliding, climbing), soloing in adventure areas.

Question 3

The question for which I responded. Good games need to be many things: immersive, challenging, intuitive, aesthetically pleasing. However, the most important feature a game can have, IMO, is intrigue. Games need to have something unsolved and curious about them or they are no longer really a game - they just become a pasttime like widdling wood or smoking a pipe.

That is what DDO has become to me, while I wait for something intriguing to come along.

Gengulphus
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Tolero/Merlask, Cheers and thanks to you for this "Tell Tolero" series! Here's to many more of these!!!

Question 1

Well, believe it or not, I was on Amazon back in October/November of 2005 and searched in video games for "Dungeons and Dragons" and DDO was one of the first hits. Of course, it hadn't yet been released (this was to pre-order it). Soon after, I found the DDO Beta forums, got accepted into Beta and have been here non-stop ever since (of course, there was that brief break between the end of Beta and the beginning of head start that drove a lot of us crazy!!!).

Question 2

Character maintenance and outdoor adventure area exploring (though there's a severely limited amount of exploring that can be done at the moment :()

Question 3

For this game in particular, I would like to see it feel more like a real continent with seamless areas (less zoning in), with mounts, and crafting. I've heard the arguments that "this is not a sandbox" game, etc. However, D&D 3.5 has all these elements, though playing PnP D&D doesn't involve "wasting" time travelling. In DDO this could be done creatively with the option to "zone" or use the spell "teleport" from one location to another - thereby avoiding the traveling which some find tedious, while at the same time providing the opportunity for real DnD-type exploration for the rest of us. Turbine is currently doing something similar in LOTRO, though this could be done better with the option to instantly zone to an area.

Sokar6000
01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes!

Question 2

Get on the forums and answer every question/response/querry/flame that was directed at the Devs.

Question 3

FUN!

Question 4

Real-time combat, d20 system.

Question 1

Fun question! My brother was surfing the web and says to me (I was the bigger DnD fan) 'Hey, there is a new DnD computer game coming out; it's going to be online." I was hooked form that point, even played in beta.

Question 2

AH surfing, chatting with guildies. My brother is away at college, so sometimes we log on just to chat and never actually do anything.

Question 3

How well it removes me from realality.

Whetstone
01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Question 1

From someone at a gaming convention

Question 2

Organizing inventory

Question 3

An "open" gaming system. I dislike it when a game makes the decisions for me.

Scarecrow
01-13-2008, 01:26 PM
1. From an issue of Dragon Magazine

2. Lately... collectibles, if you can believe it. I pulled a large bag, and have been getting into the collectible side of the game.

3. Variety. This is one of my favorite aspects of D&D, and DDO. I don't believe DDO is fully capitalizing on this yet, and more classes (not just monk and druid) would greatly help.

Griphon
01-13-2008, 01:30 PM
T,

I didn't answer last week's questions so here they are now

1) First that I tried more than a week Demo
2) Increase developement of Content including quests and classes.
3) People
4) Quest styling

This Week's questions

1) Computer Gaming Magazine review before the game came out.
2) Repairing.. selling.. Do you really ever take a break from questing?
3) MASSIVE AMOUNT OF CONTENT. The less repeating the better.

MysticTheurge
01-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1) General buzz, I guess? I can't really remember.

2) Playing other games. ;) If I can't get a group for any significant length of time (say 5 minutes) I usually "wander off" and play something else.

3) A lot of things really, and they're all fairly equal. Good character building options. Good story. Stuff to do (levels to gain, quests to complete, etc.). A sense of excitement.

Delzon
01-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Question 1

Playing EQ2 and people were talking about it.

Question 2

Being bored to be honest. I will do tapestry runs to give to guildies, always need to find room in inventory or bank space. I have even sat in the harbor taverns and cast 14th level haste on newbies to get them to quests faster (sad I know). I hope soon I will have crafting to work on and guild housing if we have to earn that. With housing it would be great to have unique collectibles (like in SWG) to search for as decorations during down time. Luckly I have a great guild who raids all the time to give us something to do.

Question 3

The way the quest system is now. So I don't have some strange party running through my battle, or fighting for the same monsters, or waiting for the same spawn. This is my 8th mmo and NONE of the others had this key element. It pulls a lot of resources, you may have a quest that takes weeks to build but players only run a few times, vs a large area that has 30 quests and 300 people running through eventhough they may not be running all the quests at least the area is being used. I like quality over quantity.

Svetelana
01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Question 1

Oprah told me about it. Not "THAT" Oprah

Question 2

Hanging off the ledge in the Wayward Lobster

Question 3

No grinding

Theboz
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Question 1

Magazine ad in Maximum PC

Question 2

staring at the screen and watching tv until something looks like fun comes along in game.

Question 3

interesting quest, the more the better

Lorien_the_First_One
01-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Question 1

Bad search result turned it up.

Question 2

Logging off. I see little point being in game if not questing. I suppose there is a few minutes each day on cleanup (selling, AH, mail) but generally if I'm not in quest, its time to log.

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?[/QUOTE]

Don't waste my time. No grinding, no long runs to get to the quest, etc.

QuantumFX
01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
OK, this is weird, I could have sworn that I posted in last week's thread but I don't rercognize these questions and don't remember answering them...

Question 1 - Is this your first MMO?
Yes. I tried this game since the player developed content for NWN was dying out.

Question 2 - Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?
Rebalance the enhancement system to reflect an actual P&P mindset.

Question 3 - If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories
Fun

Question 4 - What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?
I never want the VoIP client to get messed up. (Making it better is good. But, I never want to see a mod release that borks it.)

Question 1 - How did you first hear about DDO?
Read about how Turbine won the rights a couple years back and signed up for the beta test. Got the e-mail about the 7 day preview in 2006 and got hooked.

Question 2 - What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?
Reading the forums. You never know when a respec thread will start up...

Question 3 - What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?
Well balanced content.

HumanRogue
01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Question 1

-A friend told me about it and I tried the free trial.

Question 2

-PvP in the Lobster.

Question 3

-Encounters that are challenging every time. Some degree of 'randomness' would add to this.

Bradik_Losdar
01-13-2008, 02:38 PM
1. On the Intrawebz (don't remember where)

2. At the Auction House or various vendors looking for goodies (one man's trash...)

3. Consistency - just look to Star Wars Galaxies as a model NOT to follow

Magehound
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
1. On one of the gaming magazines, sorry don't rember which.:rolleyes:

2. Talking to fellow guildy, managing inventory, looking at the auction house. ( I don't have an addention, I don't I say!!!)

3. I like how the new contents are free, I wouldn't mind paying for a major upgrade but not all the new mods, not having to go and kill x animals, collect x number of minerals, etc...

Aldor
01-13-2008, 03:00 PM
This week:
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes

Question 2

If I was new to the organization, meet the team and get their ideas. If I was familiar with the team, I would: a.) create a vision of where we want to be in 3 months, 6 months and a year. b.) establish ways to improve maintainability and extensibility so that more time could be spent on content and less on mechanics

Question 3

Fun.

Question 4

The focus on cooperative grouping

Last week

Question 1

Saw something online when goggling something else.

Question 2

If guildies are online, getting in a group and laughing with them. Otherwise, I log off

Question 3

Lots of Content. I often wish DDO had more non questing content (guild halls, gaming areas, bard performance areas, reputation building affecting npc interactions, ...)

Nice thread idea. Thanks.

Mockduck
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Question 1

From my brother Standpoint, who picked up the game and worked for a few months to get me to finally shell out $50 for a video game and $15 per month for a subscription. Prior to this I'd been a cheapie - generally playing older and cheap games. I know, I know, I'm too cheap, but I have hundreds of video games at home and felt it just wasn't worth spending a lot on the "new stuff". I have now corrected this line of thinking....:)

Question 2

Running to the various NPC's to sell items. House D, House K, Marketplace tent, mostly.

Question 3

I agree with a poster earlier who said intuitive controls. If it's too complicated to figure out how to actually play the game, then I just won't do it. For example, i've tried some of the RPG's on the Playstation 2 and give up early on because I just can't figure out what to do! Same goes for real time strategy games on the PC, I'm sure they're great but I probably won't be playing any any time soon.

Dailus
01-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO? Surfing the internet.

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing? Either scanning the AH or scanning the LFG screen.

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you? New things to do. While I have no problem running a quest more than once I do really really enjoy new quests. Nothing beats the feeling of exploring an area for the first time.

wraith87
01-13-2008, 03:26 PM
1) The internet, though the fact I had a few friends playing definitely influenced my decision to finally join.

2) Eh, I tend to do BAM ore runs on my cleric. I don't really know why... I've probably got something in the 60 to 70 range of ore right now that I really don't need.

Other than that, I tend to check out the auction house, various vendors, repair and replenish pots/wands, etc.

3) Honestly, I love having new content that I may actually have to think through. Things with puzzles, traps that build on each other, monsters that are hidden better than just being invisible, huge ambushes, and the like all make things interesting.

Coldin
01-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Question 1

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I first saw a DDO web ad for the Stress Tests on ign.com.

Question 2

Lately I find myself browsing the Auction House for new items, but mostly it's just organizing inventory, selling loot, buying supplies, and trying to jump over the Stormreach walls.

Question 3

Expansive environment. Not so much in sheer size, but in quantity of stuff to do. Stormreach is a port city, I would be thrilled if I saw more NPC (monster races especially) roaming around town, and some more small quests to do, or shops to visit within the city.

BlueLightBandit
01-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Teh intrawebs. I was searching for D&D stuff, and ran across an article about it. I tried it only because it had a free trial, liked it, and have been here for a year and a half now.

Question 2 - What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?
Complaining about the lack of content. No, seriously... in game I do a lot of inventory maintenance and just chatting with my friends. Often, we'll just sit around talking about stuff and not really run quests.

Question 3 - What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?
Variety, depth, and a easy to learn rule set. I know the first two are kinda opposites, but they are the signs of a well thought out, well designed and well implemented product. There is a variety in the character types, mob types and quest types, and they are well thought out and intricate. Not thrown together just to patch a hole or fill a gap, each class has it's own feats and personality, and they are different than other classes feats and personalities. I also personally like the core rules (based on D&D, but with a twist) that affect the whole product universally. So changes like the Temple of Vol fire immunities that don't follow the same ruleset as every other quest I find disheartening. (If there was a storyline that explained why this specific temple mitigated fire damage a la the Prison of the Planes, I could understand it. But it's not in the story line, and it doesn't follow the same rules as other undead, so I don't like it.)

Qzipoun
01-13-2008, 03:51 PM
1) A friend mentioned it while it was in development, decided to pick it up a few months later.

2) Chatting with guildies while doing character maintenance or simply playing a different game while the LFM panel is up (when I don't feel like leading my own party)

3) Enough stuff to do (not only quests but also aquiring items etc...) without it being too easy or too much of a grind (ie I should not have the feeling that i'm putting in too much effort and not getting anything out of it or quickly finding myself out of things to do)

tekn0mage
01-13-2008, 04:11 PM
1. This girl I was dating at the time was big into WoW... I was playing GuildWars at the time, but she told me about Dungeons and Dragons Online and I about shat myself. Turns out, my buddy had a Beta invite and he gave it to me, then when the pre-order *buy now play today* offer came out I went and bought 20 boxes from the shelves at Best Buy and all my friends started playing. We just kept cycling them through during the beta3 and beta4 phases.

Beta went well, it was a month or two after launch that I lost most of my friends.

2. There is nothing to do in DDO without questing. Very boring. I find myself not idling at all in game any more. I usually just hang in the Vent channel and if stuff happens to turn up, then I'll jump in game. Otherwise I'm playing something else.

3. It's important to have more than just a static world with dungeons. Sure, the dungeons are nice inside, but if there's nothing to wow you outside of a dungeon, then you've really lost your captive audience. It doesn't take a genius to realize that nobody spends all their time in a dungeon, a majority of players spend their time OUTSIDE one. What exactly does DDO have outside of a quest? Nothing. Explorer areas? Still not soloable for some classes. A single trash mob can wipe you out, that's not exactly fair or balanced. Non-combat options? Absolutely none. Trading is hindered by the lack of an active General Chat. I can play for a week straight and hardly see anything in General Chat.

A game needs to have an active, immersing world combined with the player community and the game environment itself. DDO has absolutely none of that.

Ghoste
01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
---last week's---
1. No
2. Review development priorities. Find out if the top priorities for the dev team currently match my view of what they should be. A big part of it would be introducing more classes in as simple and swift a manner as possible. Worry about fleshing them out (forgive the racist expression, my warforged brethren) more fully at a later point (remember PRIORITIES).
3. People
4. Variety

---this week's---
1. some mmo website with list of mmo's in development. Was playing WoW at the time, and thought there just had to be something better out there.
2. reading and posting in forums.
3. immersion. That means different things for different people. To me it does not mean having a huge world where you waste hours travelling or crafting.

cdbd3rd
01-13-2008, 04:39 PM
[CENTER][I]Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1) Gaming mag ADVERTISEMENT. (there was a subtle hint there...) ;)

2) Auction House browsing, and Forums. Hmmm. Make that Forums and Auction House browsing.

3) The social interface foremost (already good), but also a solid soloable content for when I don't have the time/inclination to group up. (...needs work.) --- also, someone with an inside ear to whisper into for us who takes the time to.... oh, right. nvm. :p ;)

Syrbryce
01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes.

Question 2
Identify the bottlenecks in the process. All production companies have them, once you find them you can work on them. This speeds the content development and can help with the priority assignments. If you don't identify your bottlenecks you can never improve.

Question 3

Fun, of course.

Question 4

The speed and the look of the combat. beats all the other herkyjerkycartoony MMO's out there!

Question 1
Best Buy shelf.

Question 2
Organizing inventory and buying/selling on the auction house.

Question 3
Combat speed and realism.

fefnir3284
01-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1. You beta invite in my email back in july (or so) of 2005 ^.^

2. (dont take offense to this but) I log out to go play wow, this is after I mail everything to my haggle character, sell it, and mail the plat to my mule and them quickly scan the AH <all this takes about 10-15mins the most, there is just nothing else to do, and wilderness zones are questing to me) <Id love to be able to play around with changing the way my cloths look, decorating my house <or my swimming pool with the 2k+ gems I got, or just craft something>

3. Fluff. Yes i said fluff. One of the main reason I started playing wow was cause I got bored here doing nothing but endless questing, so I went there. This is a faire that drops nice rare items, there is ALOT of crafting to do, there is just so much non-questing to do that I rarely get bored. Thing is, there you can solo everything and groups are hard to come by, so thats why I keep coming back here and have dual subs. DDO and WOW are just complete opposites, everything a player would want, or at least this player ^.^

Vorn
01-13-2008, 04:57 PM
1. Saw an online advert for beta somewhere.
2. In game: chatting with friends, scanning a.h., trying to get stuck in new places,...:)
3. Easily mastered controls/immersive storytelling/epic adventure.

VonBek
01-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Maximum PC review & a RL PnP friend from High School ganged up on me and forced my addiction on me.

In game: Reviewing my quest journal, checking auction & vendors
Out of game - other stuff :D

Non-linear challenges and solutions. I got enough of "Hogan's Alley" in a number of first person shooter style games.

GoldyGopher
01-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Question 1

A Friend of a friend got me to try the beta.

Question 2

I spend a lot of time looking at how to improve my characters, checking the vendors auction house.

Question 3

A slightly more "adult" concept in quest adventure design. Needing to do puzzles, solve riddles, use most party members. Followed by the instancing for quests.

Gornin
01-13-2008, 05:26 PM
1) Dragon magazine
2)Figuring out what quest to do next
3)Not sure, but I guess anything new and more variety.

EpicEbo
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Question 1

I was trying to find a video game that my wife would enjoy playing, was surfing the web for new computers when i ran across an ad. Been playing for almost 2 years now with my wife.

Question 2

Gathering collectibles for my wife to turn in, and monitoring guild chat while reading a book and browsing the auction house.

Question 3

This game is very enjoyable, the only thing missing are things for players to do when they aren't questing. That would make the game more enjoyable, something to do while waiting on filling a party.

NameisToad
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?Yes

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?Start negotiations with Atari to gain the license so that I can control the marketing of the game myself, rather than letting their defunct and bankrupt company keep failing at it.

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, StoriesFun

Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?The fact that gameplay is dynamic and involved much more often than not. I don't spend twenty minutes watching my character beat on some hapless critter that has no chance to survive without having to click on the mouse or press any buttons. I'm involved and making decisions, big and small, nearly all the time while logged in.

Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO? One of the guys in my pen and paper group was lamenting not getting into the beta.

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?Looking at LFM listings, wishing there was something on the list I felt like doing.

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?See question 4 from last week. Dynamic gameplay is a must-have.

Caelan
01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Question 1

a friend from a former pnp group told us about it.

Question 2

clearing mail

Question 3

avoid tedious activities be required to advance/succeed. i have limited time. should be just as fun for me as the guy who has 8 hours a day to play.

Mapa
01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Question 1

SWG server forums, the NGE had just been announced and we started asking where we could all hook back up.

Question 2

Inventory control, selling mailing panicing

Question 3

Making needed tweeks to the game without overhauling base systems.

Theris
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Question 1: How did you first hear about DDO?

PAX 05

Question 2: What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?

In game, managing inventory for all my characters.
Out of game, going to school, studying, working, attending social functions, playing other games, and living life in general.

Question 3: What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?

A combat mechanic that requires active attention. If its too repetitive or if i even think that I can create an afk macro system to run the game for me, then its not worth playing.

Klattuu
01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, I've played Asheron's Call 1 and 2

Question 2

Start gathering ideas for a massive expansion pack

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Real-time based virtual world instead of turn-based.

Question 1

Turbine news release

Question 2

Chatting with friends.

Question 3

Variety of activity including activities that are solely role-playing with no connection to advancement.

smodge13
01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
1. Was looking for a new MMORPG to play, WoW i disliked, was debating between Guildwars and some other one i can't remember, in the end neither would work on an Intel graphics card (i have a laptop not a desktop) and while searching for an mmo that could i found DDO

2. When not questing i often take the time to do a small amount of homework, or Forum surf/Play mafia on another forum board.

3. Replayability, the thing i like most about an mmorpg is you can never beat it.

Pellegro
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM

I had heard about the game and was excited by the prospect of D&D with other real people. Then I read a review of the game (just after release) that was kinda abysmal, and did nothing. A few months after that while surfing gamer sties (not sure which) I saw a link to get a free trial. I d/l it, tried it out. At first I was underwhelmed. Then I ended up in the Harbor (I had not gruoped to that point) and someone randomly asked me to join a WaterWorks run. After that, I was blown away ... it was my first group (had been solo to that point) and it was really intense compared to experience to that point. Never turned back.

Finding a group to quest wiht. I like questing. Socializing is a very key aspect to why I enjoy the game, but I like to do that while questing. I will also spend an hour or so doing inventory management and insuring that my non-capped toons have the best possible stuff on them from my numerous banks, etc. While I enjoy doing that, its definitely hard for me to not quest so I can get it done. I also spend a fair amount of time reading forums and making sure I know "whats out there" so I know what will help my character in terms of additional equipment, etc.

Just one feature? Hmm .... Not sure. I think what I like is the complexity of the system, the ease of grouping, the social aspects, feeling powerful when I PUG (ego, sorry), and the ACTIVE COMBAT (said it before, will say it again... active combat + complexity + accessibility of rules = best feature). Oh this last bears emphasis - in other games, you can have complexity but its in a vaccum. There is no "source" material (just community stuff) to insure that you really understand the system. Here, I *really* like that its based more or less on D&D and that you have that source material to help you figure out the system should you so choose.

Affront
01-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Answer 1 I believe a coworker told me about it.

Question 2 I find myself selling things to the brokers (or traveling between brokers)

Question 3 It has to have a challenge. I think a challenge is at the root of any game. I did think about putting 'goal' here too. There are a lot of goals in computer games like this - next level, next action point, next bit of loot, a particular unique item, not dying in a naked Tempest Spine raid, etc.

Jondallar
01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Question 1
Saw the box at Best Buy (they still have copies coming and going frequently)

Question 2
inventory management then logging off

Question 3
customization, ability to be/look unique

Sertrynus
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Question 1

Saw an article on MMORPG.COM

Question 2

Checking the AH / Check character stats etc while compaing stuff on the Net / Log off and do other stuff

Question 3

Simply put Content and lots of it, both questing and crafting content. My first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies where you could be a non-combat character or a combat character and crafting/trading was as much of the game as combat was. I have just started playing WoW and have found that having optional crafting professions enjoyable, as well as having starting "sections" for each race where you do quests to teach the fundamentals of the game.

Dirtkicker
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Question 1

Dragon Magazine and then Best Buy

Question 2

Browsing the Auction House, clearing and organizing the bank, researching & tweaking all toons (a character can always be better, thats why i like DDO), and trying to get my friends to try DDO.

Question 3

Unlimted content - this doesnt just mean to add more quests (which DDO needs very badly), but it means to make current and future quests more random & surprising. How, by making dungeons use random locations and tables for monsters, traps, puzzles, etc... I know this cant be done for every little encounter, but what a feeling an adventurer (DDO subscribers) would have entering a quest he/she has done 100 times not knowing what to expect... Happy Happy Joy Joy

Ratt

Torosar
01-13-2008, 09:05 PM
1. How did you first hear about DDO?
Read about it in an article about MMO's on gamespot.com.

2. What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?
Talking to guildies or friends, if none are on i surf the net or watch tv.

3. What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?
Content that is fun to play.

Hakushi
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Question 1

My best friend told me about a d&d online game coming up version and then I visited the website. (Long ago, the old version of the website with the beholder.)

Question 2

Mostly three things not in order of preference:
-Looking at the AH
-Character management (Looking how I can improve my characters, moving stuff around)
-Talking with my in-game friends

Question 3

This is a hard one. To have fun, and to have a challenge. A personalization of our characters and the availability to not all look the same.

Vormaerin
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Last week's:

1) First MMO: Yes, though I have also played LotRO subsequently. However, I much prefer DDO.

2) Head Dev: Get the ball rolling on (or check the progress on) alternate base classes that can be implemented without complex new programming and animations.

3) Fun would be the one word, but fun for me is mainly stories.

This week:

1) First heard about DDO in the chatroom of an NWN persistant world project.

2) Mostly sitting in taverns roleplaying; though turn ins/shopping is a close second.

3) The most important element in a game (besides actually working....) is good stories and characters. DDO doesn't have much in the way of NPCs with any development, but it does have excellent stories and a wide variety of types of adventures.

JayDubya
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1. Slashdot, during the announcement of the public beta. I signed up immediately and never looked back.
2. Maintenance - repairing items, browsing the auction house, turning in collectables.
3. It has to be exciting and challenging

Taojeff
01-13-2008, 10:08 PM
1. Years ago on IGN I think. Talked about it a lot with my NWN campaign group.
2. Um, Hehe posting on forums.
3. A good story, a reason to quest other then loot etc.

SteeleTrueheart
01-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Question 1

Dungeon or Dragon Magazine and online friends who play DnD. Not sure which one first.

Question 2

Does solo running the desert for the bloodstone count? Otherwise it is sitting around talking to guildies or the AH. Why wouldn't I be questing?

Question 3

Lots of nice people. I like to meet new people and join groups easily. That takes a large player base.

Fetchi
01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Question 1

I was surfing the net for dungeons & dragons material and came across the website. DDO was to be release after a few months and I got in during head start.

Question 2

Maintaining inventory unfortunately.

Question 3

Customization. From the U.I. to the character and everything in-between.

The_Ick
01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Question 1
From a friend that frequent gaming sites.

Question 2
Surfing the Auction House and organizing my inventory to list on the forums.

Question 3
A player based economy and large organized guilds.

Aranticus
01-13-2008, 10:19 PM

Question 1

typed dungeons and dragons online when i was bored during my recovery period after an operation...... so i guess yahoo ftw

Question 2

organising inventory, helping guildies and other players with questions and problems

Question 3

customisation..... i wanna show my bling!

answers in red

dragonofsteel2
01-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Question 1

Website

Question 2
Helping out guildies, not much really just come on to quest.

Question 3

Something to work toward, without taking to fun out the game. Quest that take months and months practice to have chance winning just take all the fun out or questing. Quest that is no challenge really do not help either, needs to be a balance. Doing a quest over and over to get one item just becomes a grind. The challenge of the quest is just not there after 60-100 wins, do not care about making couple things random. Really does not change that much if traps little ahead or 4mobs in this room and 10 in the next. By the way they already do random fights not every fight has the same amount in the newer quest. Although people keep asking for it do not even realize it already in the game. Random traps or in the game already to, but surprise they do not even realize they or in the game. These do not really make the quest that much harder. Once you figure out the basic strategy for beating that quest. If they could randomize ever thing in the quest really would not be a need for that many quest lol.

Kargon
01-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1. Friend preordermered game when he heard about it, then told Kargon. Unfortunatamally, DDO kept crashing on his computermer so he cancelled subscriptimion by levamel 5. silly friend.

2. Eithermer browsaming the AH while waiting for a good LFM, givaming random lowbie stuff to peopamul in the harbormer, or demanding keensly give kargon more stuff and tasty ham.

3. Somemathing to do at the end game. Usuamally for most MMOs this mean either fun raids (with fun raid loot ;)), ability to make characters that play totamally differementamally than the first one kargon beats the game with, or some way to improve kargon charactermermer further, even just a tiny bit at a time, i.e. craftaming, city of heroes style badges (Kargon had the most on badges on kargon servermer for MONTHS!), super rare loot/raid loot, etc.

Hafeal
01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1. From a friend
2. Character maintenance (inventory, selling, AH) or compendium sorting for quest options
3. Easy interaction with the gaming environment. The easier it is to move and do things in the game environment the more involved you feel and the immersed you become in the experience. Complicated rules are ok if they can be translated to easy on-screen choices and playability. DDO has been better than average at this.

I do see the threat, especially at higher levels, of turning the game into walls of hot-bars with uber characters who try to be able to be all things. The idea of D&D from day one was to bring diverse characters together to accomplish a task. DDO (and D&D today) have a hard time saying "no" to the kiddies and try to let them all be superheros with too many cross-class skills. It blends the differences between characters so that they all look the same, regardless of how they started. This is even truer in DDO where in you do not have the ability to have many character class abilities from the pnp version because they do not translate well into the gaming environment.

Udar_Giantbane
01-14-2008, 05:42 AM
1. MMORPG.com

2. Repairing, Selling/Checking Vendors and auctions

3. Variety of things to do. More content, crafting and even fun little things i.e. Co* badge hunting were fun

Jastron
01-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes.

Question 2

Discuss with the team if character respec is feasible for a small fee leaving the XP and favor and race and 1st level class...this would help those with chars from headstart who would rather not delete and start over but would like to change skill points around, or change their appearance. I would also see if a simple solution to change character appearance would be viable.

Question 3

In DDO I'd say People. That's why I'm here. In my pen and paper games though it's Stories. I write a novel of story for each campaign. :)

Question 4

It's uniqueness among MMO's. The combat, the advancement, the grouping etc.

Question 1

A friend of mine from my Pen and Paper group was in the Beta in Oct. 2005. I joined it as well.

Question 2

Outfitting my chars...if any have levelled I enjoy seeing what goodies in my banks or the auctions the newly levelled char can make use of :) Other than that, chatting with guildies and otherwise cleaning up inventory and resupplying.

Question 3

A good selection of quests my friends and I can jump right into in the spur of the moment, and have a good time.

Missing_Minds
01-14-2008, 07:05 AM
This weeks questions:

1. From a friend who was in the beta stage way back when.

2. being bored off my rear as during those parts I'm unable to find a pug, and some of my characters just aren't built for soloing.

3. In the case of this game, monthly game fixes for known, documented bugs. Baring that, a freaking barber shop so we can change hair styles, colors, etc. For heaven's sake, Ebberon is NOT lacking in freaking magic.

Arianrhod
01-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No - played AC1, DAoC, EQ2, and various others.

Question 2

Go around to the rest of the team, to get to know them & get their input on what's going on in the game's development & where things are going next. Try to get a feel for how the disparate elements all fit together.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The ability to start a quest within 5 minutes of getting a group together, no matter where in the world everyone was when they joined, and never having to wait in line to finish a quest (quick travel & instances)

Question 1

Uh....not sure. Online somewhere. Probably message boards for some other game.

Question 2

Housework or watching TV (with frequent trips back to the computer to see if anyone I know has come online)

Question 3

Variety - great character customization (and plenty of slots to make lots of different characters in), many different quests (and different kinds of quests), and never having to do the same thing over & over again - no corpse runs, no camping in one spot for hours on end to kill the same monster 500 times (yes, I know, some people do the same thing over & over in DDO too, but maybe they don't mind it so much. At least I've never felt it's a major part of the game)

Mercules
01-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Question 1

A friend of mine pointed out that it was coming. I then started following what I could of the development. I wasn't in on the Beta as I had put my good video card into my fiance's computer so we would have two ok computers that could play CoH instead of one really good computer able to play DDO. So, shortly after the Beta I ended up getting a new video card and joined that friend on DDO along with several others.

Question 2
Character maintenance. I will send all my collectibles to one character, run around and turn them all in and then distribute what I received among all of them based on who can use what most. I will also look through old gear and shuffle it about. I'll AH old items that others could use(especially lowbie stuff) at a reasonable price. I'll get all those Mnemonic potions to those who can use them often keeping one on each non-caster to hand off to someone at the right moment. I'll make sure any expendables are replaced. I'll scan the AH for things that might boost a particular character up such as a RR Search item from one of my Rogues.

Question 3
Diversity? I don't mean a dozen things to do that are slightly different, I mean my character is not the same as Bob over there even thought they are the same class/race combination and went similar routes. I find two games that capture this, DDO and CoX and those are the two I play.

Mercules
01-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I do see the threat, especially at higher levels, of turning the game into walls of hot-bars with uber characters who try to be able to be all things. The idea of D&D from day one was to bring diverse characters together to accomplish a task. DDO (and D&D today) have a hard time saying "no" to the kiddies and try to let them all be superheros with too many cross-class skills. It blends the differences between characters so that they all look the same, regardless of how they started. This is even truer in DDO where in you do not have the ability to have many character class abilities from the pnp version because they do not translate well into the gaming environment.

See, I see the exact opposite. In D&D if you don't diversify a little bit the whole party can suffer. There is no Resurrection Shrine to carry the Cleric to during a quest so you had best have some way of healing them should they end up incapped. In PnP you might want a super strong Barbarian, but he will likely balance that out with AC and wilderness skills. In DDO that same barbarian is often a very focussed uber strength and DPS low AC focus. I think DDO pushes towards the min/max instead of diverse and that makes Barbarian A look a lot like Barbarian B and Sorcerer C and Sorcerer D look alike.

Heladron
01-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Question 1

A friend mentioned he heard about a game called Dungeons and Dragons Online going into beta.

Question 2

Desert loot runs with sorcerer so I have some money for other characters.

Question 3

Freedom to solve the quests in whatever way presents itself at the time. It's fun to be able to use a good jump, swim, hide or move silent skills to elude a particularly nasty monster. So far this game does all of that. It's great to be able to use nothing but skills to get through quests.

Memnir
01-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Question 1
I worked as an Enforcer (volunteer worker) for the Penny Arcade Expo in '05, before DDO launched and was in beta. Turbine & Atari had a huge showing on the vendor floor, and people could win beta keys if their group was able to beat the challange presented - which I think was a Marut. About a month the show, Turbine gave every Enforcer who wanted one a beta key. I've been here ever since.

Question 2
As the leader of a guild, I mostly talk with my guildmates. I also spend a lot of time doing invantory maintainance (more pack slots, please!) and wishing I had something else to do with my time while not questing.

Question 3
Options. Give me flexible options on how to spend my time, and I'm there. Otherwise, I'll find myself getting bored and feeling stagnent. At that point I move on.

GovtMule
01-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Question 1

Dec. 2005 issue of Computer Gaming World

Question 2

Prowling the adventure areas

Question 3

This game? Solo risk/ reward could be improved. Any game? immersion into the gameplay. Boredom bores me.

Shaamis
01-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Question 1

Through a fellow gamer at the local Gaming Store.

Question 2

A combination of character maintenance, having fun with guildmates in guild chat, or interacting with other players for trades, information on quests, or tips.

Question 3

Features to enhance my gaming experience, such as content, options, and ability to interact with other players (that's what MMOs are about, right?).

joewelcome
01-14-2008, 08:30 AM
well i dont post much but to answer just cuz i have time :)

1.) From a two of my friends after they had a month head start niether still play

2.) organizing my characters from backpack to bank to arranging the big bulky hotbar system that u have

3.) one word CONTENT

hope this survey helped

JD2134
01-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I believe it was on gamespot. while i was in mmo limbo when sony killed my enjoyment of SWG

Trolling the AH or mocing stuff around my bank slots. Give us apartments we can rent and use to store and display armor and weapons in.

Reduce the cookie cutter feel of a game. Nothing worst then running a 12 person raid group and it looks like there are four sets of triplets in the raid. Give us the ability to change the skin on our armor and weapons.

Jhoran
01-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No. Asheron's Call (1) was my first.

Question 2
Do whatever it took to get more quality content out every month; through re-focusing personnell or hiring more.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
I hope its able to stay open!

Question 1
I think through an online search for 'mmo free trials'

Question 2
If I'm not questing; I'm trying to find a group or soloing

Question 3
Character Advancement and loot gathering

Devlin
01-14-2008, 08:39 AM
#1: A friend

#2: Logistics like buying spell components, repairing, buying wands, etc.

#3: Multiple ways to spend my time. Quests, adventure areas, maybe some class or race based challenges that net some decent reward?

Petro
01-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Question 1
Internet link from a show like E3 or somthing

Question 2
Walk around the orchard or desert looking for loot,

Question 3
The Combat

ahpook
01-14-2008, 08:46 AM
If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:[/center]

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes

Question 2

Instruct devs to increase random aspects of quests so they are more replayable. (And give Codog a superstar award)

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Instanced quests.

Question 1

A Guy in our Magic group was in the beta.

Question 2

AH I guess, but I really only play to quest and I will solo something rather than stand around.

Question 3

Interesting quests.

Rowanheal
01-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Question 1
I read about it online just before the beta started. I wasn't picked for beta *sniff sniff*

Question 2
Managing my inventory. OMG...its a nightmare trying to get everything in there in any sense of order.

First bag
-Spell components, interchangable gear, thieves tools etc.
Second Bag
-Potions. Gods I love potions. I crack every barrel and box and just hope they fall out.
Third Bag
-Wands. I tend to make healers or UMDers so they can use wands. Alot of wands.
Fourth Bag
-Things I want to sell. This bag I want with all the things to go on the auction house or to various vendors. Ok on my fighter
and my ranger this bag ended up FULL of extra weapons :)
Fifth bag
-Scrolls. Yup there are a ton of scrolls in game. And I need a place to organize all of them. :)

I really really wish that when I took something out of my backpack and then put it back in again that it would automatically go to the same spot. :D

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?Character Customization options.

I don't like cookie cutter characters. Plus, HELLO, I am Rowanheal and I like PINK!!! I need more PINK options :D

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

cccbeck
01-14-2008, 09:04 AM

Question 1

IGN

Question 2

Man, if not questing I wander around aimlessly.

Question 3

Not be repetitive. (and while not the most important feature a robust crafting system can add endless hours to the fun)

Inkblack
01-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I'll answer last week's also:

Question 1
Is this your first MMO? Yes.

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job? Start investigating the quest creation process, and look for ways to streamline it. What are the bottlenecks, how can they be eliminated? Try to find a way to produce more quests, with a monthly introduction schedule. When was the last quest added? September 27? Is that acceptable? To me, it is not.

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories Fun

Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes? Instanced quests, the lack of a requirement to race others to a specific spawn.

Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO? A friend. Several of us decided to start a static group, so we created characters and got started. All of us are still playing 18+ months later.

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing? Getting ready to quest again -- selling, repairing, watching the LFM.

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you? Variety. Without something new to do, I go to the next game.

Ink

BurnerD
01-14-2008, 09:12 AM
1. I think it may have been in Dungeon or Dragon Magazine....

2. Managing Inventory (Need More Space), AH perusing

3. Good UI.. This game is easy to play because it has a good interface.

Jolani
01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Last Week

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes.

Question 2
Fix wandering/attacking monsters that are held, tripped, dancing, stunned, charmed etc... (I have been killed by each of these, including my own charmed monster, I was not happy)

Question 3
Stories

Question 4
Character variety. I love creating unique character builds.

This Week
Question 1
A friend who was on the beta.

Question 2
Auction house browsing.

Question 3
Open play of some sort, such as large areas to explore or an unrestricted character system.

Vengenance
01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Question 1

I saw it on the shelf almost two years ago.

Question 2

Stocking up on supplies for when I do quest, managing my inventory, auction house, or soloing favor.

Question 3

It's just got to be fun to play.

MysticRhythms
01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Question 1
Wizards of the Coast webpage

Question 2
Racking up Explorations, Rares and Kill Counts in the new exploration areas.

Question 3
Immersion and storylines in the game world.

tihocan
01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Question 1
In PC Gamer.

Question 2
Searching the AH and selling stuff across various vendors.

Question 3
I must be able to do something whether I login to play for 1h or 3h.

Daerius of the Blessed Blades
01-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Question 1
A friend of mine from my high school/college pen and paper days suggested we get together and "play" since we were new spread too far apart to play D&D around a table anymore. Our same group is still playing every Wednesday (although we play other characters 6 of the other 7 days of the week ;)). I am not sure where he first heard of the game, but it was "word of mouth" and the "Dungeons and Dragons" name for me.

Since I have a static group that has been out since the weekend after release, I wonder if there are any other longer static groups that are still running?

Question 2
Talking in guild chat, rearranging my backpacks, restocking characters, talking in guild chat, sending items to my haggle character to sell, checking te House D and K vendors for items to buy for our guild newcomers' bank, talking in guild chat. I check auctions about once a day for "bargains", but don't spend a lot of time there.

Question 3
In an MMO, it's the people that play. I love the fact that the majority of the DDO user base seems mature and helpful. Note that I said *most* of the user base...:rolleyes:

Deragoth
01-14-2008, 09:46 AM
1. I think it was a game preview website. I'm not sure which.

2. Auction House and inventory management.

3. Customization. Tons of customization. Let me dye my armor/docent! :D

Jaywade
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
no
Question 2
hire more dev's for more content, and do whatever I could do get more money for adds, IMO the 2 biggest things this game needs is more content faster and more people playing
Question 3
to me you need the first 3 for the 4th you need to win, have fun, w/ good people to be able to tell stories, having said that it's the people that have kept me in this game
Question 4
the combat system, and the mail system they really set this game apart

Question 1
saw it in best buy , and brought it played DnD when I was a kid (33 now)

Question 2
depends...play 8 alts fairly heavy, only 1 lowbie the rest are capped 2 of my capped toons don;t have 1750 yet, so I useally work on that if nothing to do, once every couple of days I sort inventory and do a mass sell

Question 3
for this game right now it's being able to build different kinds of toons and play w/ great folks...I think if we had some random dungeons and action areas that would do improve the game by leaps and bounds

EazyWeazy
01-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes

Question 2
Monks and other classic player classes.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
Grouping with friends

Question 1
From a friend who showed me a write up in Wired magazine (I think. Maybe PC Gamer)

Question 2
Managing Inventory :(

Question 3
Better inventory management (more space) and Guild Banks

:)

PranasP
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM

If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:[/center]

Question 1
Is this your first MMO? Yes

Question 2

Potion bags or guild houses- coin flip to decide

Question 3

Question 4

not sure.I am not a static person, chnages to date have just prompted new challenges---thats what I like ...hmmm...there is the answer--- keep making changes!

Question 1

I believe it was an email announcing a mod update or 10 day free trial

Question 2

cleaning inventory or running between houses for auction/mail/sales

Question 3

both solo and group adventures. sometime my life doesnt really allow for team work since I am back and forth too much with family.adventure areas have helped alot

Fallout
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Question 1

> Internet sites.

Question 2

> Do real life stuff.

Question 3

> Have good story line, cinematic cut scense, promote sense of adventure. (Look Baldur's gate, KOTOR, Bioshock etc). The current story telling method is very bland in DDO. Talk to NPC, read some text and thats it. No sense of immersion. After a while, all quest becomes: zerg to end of dungeon. Look at SWG before they destroyed it, had some quests where you see Vader, Han Solo etc as NPC, famous land marks etc. Stormreach is just bland. Probably because alot of people don't know about Ebberon vs Forgotten Realms.

Corran99
01-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No my first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies and a trial for WOW.

Question 2
I imagine i would get the rest of the developers together and brainstorm some ideas for some non combat content. Like for instance additional games you can interact with or housing.

Question 3
This is a hard one i'm torn between people and fun, but i will have to pick people because without them there me no fun.

Question 4
the combat system as well as the sandbox character creation system.

Question 1
found out about it through word of mouth mostly.

Question 2
checking mail, adjusting inv, etc

Question 3
Crafting and good combat

ccheath776
01-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Question 1

Funny enough through a friend. I was talking with someone back in Dec 05 about trying an MMO. They said hey dnd online is coming out. Thats when I started looking into it, when Feb. came I purchased the head start kit and never looked back.

Question 2

Character maintenence and checking the auction houses. If crafting was available I would say I would be making weapons to sell.

Question 3

In any game you play, unless your playing a story quest like Myst, you have combat or your battling something. There is a story to complete but for the most part what your doing is fighting or accomplishing something in combat. So to answer the question, to me the answer is that the combat mechanics have to be fun and keep me interested. If I am casting the same spell over and over again, and that spell is boring, I will get bored. Graphics play a part but not really, I mean I still play FF7 and Chrono trigger simply because battling is fun. This adds into the Replayability. I want to enjoy a game so much that I want to play it over and over again. DDO has that with the multiple class combo's. Yes content is important and im sure 90% of people will say "content" is more important without defining what that means. But content is nothing if interacting with that material is poor. So bottom line, good UI, good combat systems are the most important features.

virloc
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No
Question 2
Provide a very clear Gameplan for the future of the Game and email it to all past and present players.

Question 3
Fun
Question 4
That the game is twitch-based

Question 1
MMORPG.com
Question 2
Looking at timers on Alts/ reflagging for Raids when possible ( Which has become tedious for Von/DQ2, prolly should flag account when u complete 20 Raids that any character on that account needs "zero" reflag.
Question 3
That nobody can dictate my loot due to instancing and chest assignment

sigtrent
01-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Question 1
On-line advertizing of some kind. I was aware of it quite a while before it actualy came out and was eagerly anticipating it's arrival.

Question 2
Sorting my invintory and mailing items between characters. I actualy enjoy the in game shopping and economics. Not a lot of it in DDO but there is a lot of equipment to decide on.

Question 3
Strategy. In DDO it mostly comes from character planning, but in any game it is all about making strategic decisions and finding out if they work or not. I like tactics as well but strategy is where I start and where my heart lies.

Kylstrem
01-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Question 1

Co-worker of mine told me about it because one of his best friends growing up was a developer on it.

Question 2

At the auction house trying to find items for my character, or auctioning off items.

Question 3

DDO has most of what I like. So, I don't know how to answer this. One thing that would be nice is a way to print (either to file or printer), my character (stats, skills, enhancements, etc, along with every item and a description of every item, including all items in the bank). With 9 characters, it's difficult to remember what each one has in the bank or on their person.

~Jules921
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes

Question 2
Work with Development team to see what's needed to get the updates out faster.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
Fighting style

Question 1
Ad in Maxmium PC

Question 2
work on inventory

Question 3
interaction with others and customizable characters

Thanks
Jules

Hence
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Question 1
I was on the hunt for a new MMO at Best Buy... it was the text on the box that sold me on the game. Low level cap, I figured there would be tons of content. But most importantly, I figured it wouldn't take me very long to see the end game content. Sadly, there was no end game content besides Co6 and Threnal... back when it was still referred to Sewers and Slimes Online.

Question 2
Organizing my inventory, selling stuff, shuffling items to mules, and maybe a brief look at the AH.

Question 3
Action. I will never go back to a slow paced MMO again, I like the fast paced action... just wish the new AI didn't mess with the melee combat so much. I loved dodging and weaving, tumbling and attacking... the more thats taken away, the less I enjoy the game.

Akhad_Durn
01-14-2008, 12:59 PM

Question 1
Question 2
Question 3

1) My brother.

Somehow he heard about DDO before I did, he isn't a gamer, I'd say I am. Heard about it at some point during the start of development and kept me up-to-date. He kept pestering me after it was released, until I'd try it. He went so far as to buy a copy, come over to my house and try to install it himself... I paid him back. :p This was around mid march 2006.

2) Organizing equipment.

I usually play multiple of my charaters a night, and switch as quickly as possible to try to get into groups for quests I want to do. This leaves my charaters full of stuff I've picked up during quests. By the time I'm done questing I need to get some sleep so just log off. Starting the next time I can log on, I switch to each charater and

read mail, and get out all items not auctioned.
mail all the junk items to my bard. (items that didn't auction included)
mail all collectables of given types to the charater collecting them.
post 'ok' items to the auction house.

switch to bard:

open mail and detach items (of specific vendor type) from other charaters until inventory is full
run to vendor, and self items
repeat until all items have been vendored.

3) This is a hard one... this is more of a priority list than any one thing.

Cooperative play.
Configurable user interface.
Some sort of plot/story.
Nice graphics.

If the game isn't cooperative I'll likely move on to the next game without looking any further.

Stanley_Nicholas
01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Question 1
From others in my P&P group.
Question 2
Inventory management
Question 3
Must be strategy and logic based. The more strategy the better. Pure random chance irritates me greatly, especially when used excessively.

Responses in red.

The_Phenx
01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Question 1

Friend... yes its his fault im addicted.. I blame him every day.

Question 2

Sleeping? Working? Eating? Solo loot running the desert in my endless quest for firestorm greaves, or parusing the AH, rarely pvp... or leaving my screen on waiting for my guildies to show up and watching tv.

Question 3
New content, enjoyable content, immersive experience, and not just quests its the whole experience. Major bugs need to be fixed asap. (IE the fleeing mob issue that weve lived with for months)

ehcsztein
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Question 1
Room mate mentioned it was coming out. Checked out the web site the night before one of the pre-launch stress tests and coincidentally had the next day off. Needless to say I was hooked instantly.

Question 2
Trying to remember which character has/needs what items etc.

Question 3
Re-playability.

ToeTank
01-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes

Question 2
Get all the DDO staff together and make sure we are all on the same page as far was what direction we want to go.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The interaction with people.

Question 1
Saw an add in Dragon Magazine.

Question 2
Chatting with my guildmates.

Question 3
The interaction with people.

Xaymaca
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Question 1
PC Gaming Mag. Once seeing the story, my friend found out the name and telephone number of one of the publishers/marketers. He basically demanded that we be put on the list for testing.:D The guy knew as much as we did about the game.

Question 2
AH

Question 3
a) Customizability and diversity in the character creation process. I want my character to be unique. No cookie-cutters.
b) A moderately deep crafting system. Let me change the armor and weapon looks/colors and make my own armor/weapons/etc.

kruggar
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Question 1

DnD fanatic, as soon as DDO was anounced i started to monitor the site :)

Question 2

Character Builds!! Tons of them.. i have more then 70 character builds so far.. sad i cant test them all hehehe

Question 3

Be Fun! Its the only thing i need in a game.

Hambo
01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
First one I've paid for... Played "Project Entropia" until they auctioned off that virtual island for around 70.000 RL dollars, then decided I didn't want to play a money sink.

Question 2
I would worry about settling into the job.

Question 3
Fun. All the other choices are subcategories to me.

Question 4
The overall gameplay. Small details can (should?) be tweaked experimentally in an attempt to improve the game, but only within the existing framework.

Question 1
One of the online gamer sites. I got in at the end of beta because I'd been looking for a game truer to pnp D&D than I'd seen to that point.

Question 2
Browsing the auctions, juggling inventories, rerolling/respeccing alts.

Question 3
A full and populated world with a plethora of varied activities and content.

ZarakNur
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Question 1
My Pen and Paper group

Question 2
AH browsing, handing out goodies to newbies

Question 3
Cooperative Gameplay

Evisle
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Question 1 - How did you hear about DDO

PC Gamer Magazine.

Question 2 - What do you find yourself doing when not questing?

Inventory management, AH browsing, jumping around buildings in market/house d/house k while chatting to guildies

Question 3 - What is the most important feature in a game to make it enjoyable for you?

Changing experiences to make game continue to be interesting.

arcanehealer
01-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
guild wars
Question 2
see what i could do for the game
Question 3
winning
Question 4
the voice chat

Question 1
from a friend
Question 2
checking out the ah
Question 3
voice chat

there you go

Winded
01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO? - http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_demos.html Interesting stuff here. The site lists video games that offer free trials. DDO is still listed, and still has the original trailer(just watched - cool stuff)
Question 2
ah, mail
Question 3
Fast paced combat

narizue
01-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Question 1

Dragon magazine but the add never really caught my eye. A friend hooked me on a trial.

Question 2

Soloing the Adventure Areas, chatting with guildies. Honestly I am seldom not questing if I have guildies or friends online.

Question 3

I am personally loving the adventure zones where I can just run out and kill some stuff, get some loot and get some XP. I was skeptical initially but they give me a semiproductive way to progress in the game when either I am feeling antisocial or too lazy to create a party. Beyond that I would say raids that are accessable without the dull monotony of reflagging. I love raiding as I can get 8-12 people I enjoy playing with in the same quest, but its much more challenging to do with Von5-6 or the DQ than it is with the Titan or Stormreaver. I don't mind having to bust my butt to get raid ready but I hate having to constantly work at getting ready over and over. So in a nut shell adventure zones and flag once and you are done raids are the most important features for me atm.

KoboldKiller
01-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Question 1

I remembered a commercial from way back.

Question 2

Checking mails, inventory management, and checking ah.

Question 3

Depth, if I have to pick just one.

Pyromaniac
01-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Question 1
-On a gaming website, probably Blues News

Question 2
-Working the auction house

Question 3
-A good engine that doesn't give me motion sickness. Unfortunately I no longer can play a lot of first person/third person games due to jittery game engines. DDO works well for me, no motion sickness at all :)

Lcdr_Swizzle
01-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Question 1

From my brother, who plays PnP 3.5 every week with his buds for over 15 or so years. I started back when there was no "A" before D&D, in the pre-Greyhawk era of the game.

Question 2

Auction House checking or soloing adventure areas.

Question 3

Easy communication with other players that have become friends. Time with them is more fun than the game. I often do "their" quests instead of those I planned, because it's more fun with friends on their goals than doing my goals with pugs.

soulthunder
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No. First was Lineage II and wasn't impressed.

Question 2
Introduce myself, call a meeting of the devs, outline a plan for the first week, month, quarter, then year. Set up a schedule of weekly meetings to make sure we stayed on track and address any issues that spring up.

Question 3
People

Question 4
Mature playerbase...at current or larger population.

Question 1
A friend

Question 2
Helping others with quests/favor/loot needed.

Question 3
Content. Could be awesome, could be shotty...but not having anything is unbearable.

Gratch
01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

No
Nerf War to gel with the troops
Stories
Human Versa... err...um... active combat

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

A friend mentioned the Beta
Inventory Maintenance - ug...
Depth

pwrslyd
01-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Last Weeks Questions:

1- Yes

2- After doing something to get comfortable with the rest of the folks in the Dev Department, I would ask as many people I could *outside* of the Dev Dept. about what they would like to see developed in DDO to get some fresh ideas.

3- Stories, followed very closely by People

4- Much agreed with last poster, the active combat system

This Week's Questions:

1- I think I saw an ad for it when I went to preorder ESIV: Oblivion

2- Roleplaying

3- The ability to easily and realistically roleplay and develop the stories of my and my friend's characters.

salmag
01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
1. While playing Asherons Call, checked out DDO.com pre-alpha.

2. Waiting...

3. Having the DEVS implement GNOMES, and fix MANYSHOT.

Yeric
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
My nephew called us and told us about it. He was introduced to PnP at our house as a young lad. I'm 56 and my wife isn't.

The wife and I have a multitude of various classed characters. We get bored playing just one to cap. So whenever one goes up a level we end up checking items. Swapping items among ourselves. Putzing around the Auction House. Getting ready for the next quest chain. Not looking forward to "mandatory Binding"

I would like DDO to stay with its roots. Dungeons and Dragons. I would hate to see it try to be a different game than what it is supposed to be. The change to the death penalty is a step away. IMHO.

ZEFFLON
01-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Question 1
First saw the add in Dragon Magazine, before they discontinued it, and also saw it in the stores, as I played single player, was worried i wouldn't like the MMO style of it, but have been playing for 8 months now and loving it.
Question 2
I am usually running the open areas, as trying to complete all the slyers in all of them, or I am talking to guildies or cleaning up toons.
Question 3
This game is really enjoyable, like the multitude of all the quests, and so far DEVS you are doing an awesome job with the updates since I ahve been playing have ahad three. I especially like the live events and would love to see more of these. Keep up the good work.

CDevil
01-15-2008, 06:37 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. My first "MMO" was a server based variant of Neverwinter Nights.

Question 2

I think my first reasonable thing would be to review my budget and look for ways to put that money towards creating product more efficiently for the customers. I know resources are tight, but I'd still look for a way to get more out sooner, even if it was only a little bit at a time.

Question 3

I'd have to say "stories". Winning isn't everything, fun is where you find it, and people aren't always around. A good story that can draw you in, be it happy, scary, sad, or suspenseful, is always worthwile.

Question 4

The continuing hope that tomorrow will bring something new. I don't mean that as sarcasm, this game has some serious potential for expansion. Even the players have shown incredible ideas for what could be added. The possibilities are truly awesome for what this game could grow into.

Question 1

Read an article in a gamer magazine. (I believe it was "GAME INFORMER.")

Question 2

Running through the wilderness areas. I know DDO is designed around parties, but I think they were the first real effort made to accommodate players who like doing things on their own. The "solo" difficulty beginner quests just didn't cut it, in my opinion.

Question 3

I would say, give me something I can look at and know I've accomplished something or hit a milestone. Leveling up can be done simply by playing a limited number of quests over and over until they're played out. The favor tables don't mean much, you could have joined the party at the tail end of an adventure after everything else had been done. (Not trying to be negative, simply making a point.)

As much as I hate to compare, CoX had an impressive idea with their award system. Reviewable awards were earned for discoveries, accomplishments, quests, and even for kill totals. For a long-running game like this, it would be nice to open that "I-love-me" screen and review the honors and accolades my character had earned over the course of playing him.

Anyhow, that's my 2cp worth. ;)

Sem34
01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Question 1
First Heard about it on the RPGA web site, did a google search and found that Turbine was working on DDO and so i applied for the Alpha and got in...

Question 2
??? theres somthing else in DDO besides questing? lol doing Slayers but I feel this needs to change... I'll explain in #3

Question 3
We have open areas for a while now, give us something else to do... you have LOTR to build off, give us gathering skills (mining, and the others) take the slayer idea and give us fetch and kill quests... i.e. go and kill 5 priests and bring me thier sash. would help in the feeling of getting something done when you don't have alot of time. Also open those areas to max 75 people. Make it feel like we are a part of something and not just in our own world.

Solmage
01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Previous Qs:
1) Is this your first MMO? : Nope!

2) Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job? (aside from eat icecream? Hmmm. I thought that was all they did.. :p) Actually I would look into the feasibility of implementing completely new systems that added even more depth to DDO (a la sailing with airships/airship battles-random encounters, pirating etc - that which I think should have been our "PvP" system, and where those resources should have been spent)

3) Fun, followed closely by stories.

4) Firewall :p. Seriously, the ability of casters to do consistent damage throughout a quest, which currently means firewall and blade barrier. Oh and I hope we will retain exp loss since the new system will make death completely trivial and be quite negative to the game, but ehh that's a lost battle I fear :(

============
New Qs:

1) How did you first hear about DDO? : PCGamer add

2) What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing? : Working =) Oh you mean ingame? Reorganizing my inventory, selling junk, taking a peek at the auction house... used to RP a bit, but it's a bit difficult with the UI and with emotes broadcasting server-wide, instead of being limited in range like say.

3) What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you? : Ability to change the world. Ie form alliances with certain NPC groups vs other groups, have that have some consequences in the game world, quests with more than 1 ending (if you help X or Y, then X1 or Y1 happens and you then get reward X2 or Y2 .. as an example, I'd love to be able to help DEFEND the purge the heretics quest)

Anyway, thanks for asking.

Gennerik
01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Question 1

I believe a friend first told me about it long before it launched. I remember that I was really looking forward to it for a long time.

Question 2

Normally when I'm not questing, I'm still questing. I'll go run other quests that I can solo trying to get items that drop from there (grrr, Muck's Doom, why do you taunt me so?). Before my guild mostly broke up, I would stay on and talk to them while running/jumping around town for hours, but now I normally just log off if things are really slow.

Question 3

Replayability without the grinding. This isn't my first MMO, and I pretty much stopped playing the others because the gameplay all boiled down to sitting at a location for hours trying to get XP or something else. It became very stale. I think the thing that still appeals to me about DDO is the quest system and how each area has a different feel and different level of interactivity, depending on your class. There are still locations that seem so repetitive after a few quests into the series (You know who you are, Splinterskull), but I normally try to avoid them now.

As an aside, talking of Splinterskull, I did actually enjoy the quest much more while soloing it, because I actually took the time to explore and finish every quest. It really is an amazing quest, but it's just run too many times and very quickly, which really means you miss out on much of what it has to offer.

Back on topic, when speaking of replayability, it means more than just random locations for things. I'd really like to see quests that allow numerous ways to proceed through and finish a quest, especially now that the cap is going to level 16. Our characters have so many diverse abilities that there should be very few quests that we get pigeon-holed into following a linear course through it. Give us optional routes to the main goal and let us pick our favorite or one that best suits the party we were able to put together. It certainly beats the "We don't have Class X, so we can't do the following quests:" routine.

Albel
01-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Question 1

A: A friend heard about it and told me, we were too late to preorder, but picked it up first day it was in stores.

Question 2

A: Running around stormreach randomly jumping on things while chatting with guildies, and staring at the Grouping screen waiting for an interesting quest to pop up. (I don't care to be leader in a party anymore, so I rarely start groups)

Question 3

A: Has to be able to keep my interest for an extended period of time, this game lost my interest over 6 weeks ago (probably why I have only been logged in for 3-5 hours total during the last 6 weeks), anyways for this game what would make this game interesting/enjoyable is a very complex topic that is best off being in it's own thread rather than me posting it here.

Lucian_Navarro
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
So I'll obstain.

captain1z
01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
- I worked in the gaming industry fo years and played D&D even longer than that................ whenever a D&D game is in the works it pops up on my radar.

- when not questing .......... im sorting my inventory and trolling the auction house

- options...options...options I want near endless customization. (as it stands we have a fair amount of options we can take advantage of in DDO......It would be nice if we had more control over the character models................ where are the fat and hairy and the bone thin and bald models...........how about a hunched back or a hooked nose)

foxBlade
01-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Last Week:
1) No
2) Give Monster Casters Limited Spell Point Pools
3) Fun
4) Not having to travel for 20+ minutes to get to a quest

This Week
1) Don't remember, probably saw it mentioned somewhere like slashdot
2) Auction House/Looking for Groups
3) Not tedious to play

Claver
01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
[CENTER]It's that time again! Talk to Tolero!

Question 1

Read an "early look" preview in a gaming magazine in somewhere around 2001 or 2002. Began follwing fansite game articles online as the game developed

Question 2

Managing inventory - mailing gems and collectables to my other characters, selling loot, visitng the bank and auction house

Question 3

Quick load times. DDO only takes a few minutes to load and usually just a few minutes to travel to the quest instance and generally no more than 10 minutes to gather a party.

Compare this to Everquest II and Final Fantasy Online that had one log on system to prove your account was valid (it seemed to take 15 minutes) and then another 15 minutes to load the game world. Followed by 15 minutes running from point a to point b (with huge load times as I would enter new zones). As a person with only and hour or two to play at any given time, quickly getting to the content is what it is all about.

ViVid7th
01-16-2008, 12:46 AM
1) A friend of mine. He's been playing since release.

2) Either trolling the AH, Looking for groups, playing around with the build maker or alt tabbed to something else. So in gameplay terms, nothing.

3) Consistency between different mechanics and effects. Changes in how they react to actions, or durations is fine. But should something say it removes all stuns on use, it should remove any mechanic labeled as a stun. If something should always be able to be used, even if CC'd it should be able to be used. This extends further out to scaling... *Points at BAB 15* >.>

sirgog
01-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, unless you count playing a friend's WoW account for about 12 hours.

Question 2

Increase the replayability of the lower levels of the game by changing XP awards for the existing quests. For example, most players levelling a new toon run Stormcleave about 6-8 times - dropping the XP on Stormcleave by say 10% and adding significant amounts of XP to other, similar level but seldom run quests (e.g. Tomb of the Shadow Guard) to provide more variety in levelling up new toons.

Question 3

Stories. My 2 favorite Reaver runs are about stories - one where we nearly failed but pulled through, one where the loot gods smiled upon me and gave me 2 +6 stat items, a head of good fortune and a paralyzer :-).

Question 4

Flexibility of character design.

Question 1

From a friend that owned a Magic: The Gathering store that delved into paper D&D.

Question 2

Solo loot runs, looking at the auction house and forming groups.

Question 3

Appropriate level of challenge - occasionally frustrating, but culminating in a rewarding victory (not on the first try!). IMO were the Black Abbot scaled down so that the current Normal became the new Elite, the Abbot on hard would be a perfect example of this. Alternately, running Tempest Spine elite with twinked level 7-9 characters. Very tough, but doable and rewarding.

sirgog
01-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Question 1

Question 2

A: Running around stormreach randomly jumping on things while ...

I do that too. Jumping up on the hard-to-reach corner of the Necrapolis inn and spamming loud spells like Break Enchantment is DDO's version of trolling forums or picking your nose - fun for the first 2 minutes at a time while you wait to do something more useful.

Sutek
01-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Question 1
Good question. I don't remember.

Question 2
Looking for a group to quest with.

Question 3
A fun combat system and complex skills / character advancenent system. Both of these things are pretty good in DDO. The combat system could use some work with ranged combat being **** and with not getting swings when chasing mobs but other than that all is great.

Ustice
01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Question 1
I THINK that it was some gaming magazine. I had been playing PnP for a long time, and couldn't WAIT to see it come to life in an MMO format. It was a long time ago though. Back when UO wasn't THAT old (a year or so old). I remember a picture of a beholder creating havoc in some villiage, which upon reflection may have been an early version of the hobgoblin village in STK.

Question 2
Being bored generally. I don't care for PvP, and since I am more of a casual player, the AH is almost impossible to use if I am not buying out-right. I will chat with my guild, but generally I am just standing around. Oh, I sometimes use the time to go buy scrolls, but that doesn't take long.

Question 3
Team-based game-play. While I enjoy games that have a strong solo content, its the games where I can work with a group of people that keep my interest.

Citymorg
01-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Basically, yes. I was in Everquest when it first came out, but cancelled before my trial subscription was done

Question 2
I would try to make the game more like tabletop and give it that feel. More character development, let us change over time, different alignments, let us become new people as more and more happens to us.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The group centeredness of the game. Being able to play D&D at a moments notice.

Question 1
It was eithe G4TV or I saw a copy on the shelf, can't remember now

Question 2
Trying to clear inventory space, setting auctions and selling items

Question 3
Keep the feel of playing a game with a group of other people while developing a unique character

jjflanigan
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Heard about DDO from one of the forums I used to frequent back during the initial design phase of the game. Followed it for a while, then forgot about it until I heard about the Beta on another website forum I was reading.

Normally, if I'm not actually "questing" I'm trying to come up with new fangled ways to solo / duo quests with Haplo.

The most important feature a game can have to me is crafting. I love being able to custom design / build the things I want to use in the game and not have to limit myself to those things the quest designers thought people would want out of a quest. Not sure exactly why, but I've always enjoyed the crafting aspect of every game I've ever played, I guess because it provides a sort of "sub-game" to the MMO itself.

Tyrande
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM

[center]This week's question(s) are:

Question 1

I was invited to the DDO beta program back in January 2006 being a File Planet member.

Question 2

Drooling on items that I cannot afford (read: priced too expensive!) at the Auction House.
The other I spent most time cleaning inventory, selling items or mail them to alts.

Question 3
Randomization. (People cannot know where, why, what, when, how the monsters are going to do to the party)

Elleron
01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I know you all are on pins and needles waiting for my answers, so without further ado...

1. First mmo - no, Guild wars, but it was my 2nd.
2. First day on the job as a dev - random room/traps in quests, makes ww look brand new
3. Pick a word - fun
4. Something that shouldn't change - the social aspect of d&d

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\

1. How did I hear about ddo? This never going to last internet thing.
2. Not questing - usually checking the auctions and checking on the favor/flaggin of my 10 characters.
3. Most enjoyable feature of a game - fun will always bring me back.

DeadlyGazebo
01-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Nope. Work-wise, I was at a startup writing an MMO prior to coming to turbine. Sadly, the company closed before we got very far... And I've put in some work on LotRO here at Turbine, though I started on DDO and have since returned to DDO.

Playing-wise, I've tried a number of MMOs. A lot of my motivation for getting into working in the games industry was the constant "hey, I could do that better" train of thought that most players get... but being a programmer myself, I was actually able to put it into practice.

Question 2

No comment; this might annoy the rest of the team :)

Question 3

Fun. I work here because it's a fun place to work (though the people are a lot of that), and I play these games because they're fun (though again, the people are a lot of it).

People would come second; good people contribute a lot to the fun, while bad people suck the fun out of anything.

Stories come third. They are important, but you build the best stories with the best people.

A larping group I'm with likes to say: "the winner is the guy who has the best stories at the end".

Question 4

The melee combat system. You can move and swing and jump and get flanking and tumbling bonuses! Far too many MMOs are really boring when it comes to combat -- just sitting back and watching the flashy lights while hitting the "special attack" button every 1.783 seconds and the "heal me" button every 1.954 seconds really doesn't excite me.

Question 1

At the aforementioned startup, we did our homework on soon-to-be-released MMOs, trying to figure out what features they would have that we'd have to keep up with. When the startup ran out of money, I got a job here helping to finish DDO shortly before launch.

Question 2

Writing spells and feats. Bugfixing. Writing forum posts.

In-game, I'm almost never "not questing". If nobody is forming a group for something I like, I go solo something or log in with a different character.

Question 3

This is sort of a trick question, because the fun comes from the aggregate of all sorts of small things. I guess the biggest one is customization -- I don't want to play "generic fighter #492, wearing the same epic armor set as every other fighter". I want to be unique and different.

Yaga_Nub
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
This is sort of a trick question, because the fun comes from the aggregate of all sorts of small things. I guess the biggest one is customization -- I don't want to play "generic fighter #492, wearing the same epic armor set as every other fighter". I want to be unique and different.

Noob!

Sambvca
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM

So do you have the white, blue, or black scale set? With these many choices you get to play "generic fighter #491, #492, or #493, wearing the same epic armor set as 1/3 every other player:(

ccheath776
01-17-2008, 02:09 PM
A lot of my motivation for getting into working in the games industry was the constant "hey, I could do that better" train of thought that most players get... but being a programmer myself, I was actually able to put it into practice

This is the same thing I tell myself every morning that I get up to go to school even at my age with a full family. One day I said "hey I think I can do this better and get paid to do it.." thus began my quest.
Its good to know that everybody in this industry didnt get born to be a game developer they had to go through the effort of learning it including going to school and all that.
Its just good to know that others did it, so I know I can. :D

ccheath776
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
"generic fighter #492, wearing the same epic armor set as every other fighter". I want to be unique and different..

Agree with this, and hopefully this is some inspiration to allow us to customize our characters a little more. I hate looking like everyone else with my nice new dragon armor.

Taojeff
01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Playing-wise, I've tried a number of MMOs. A lot of my motivation for getting into working in the games industry was the constant "hey, I could do that better" train of thought that most players get... but being a programmer myself, I was actually able to put it into practice.

I here that. I actually have a group of people near where I live and almost everyday we talk about starting are own MMO. It is hard though, we are all established in different areas already.... (IT programming, IT Managment, Transportation, Medical, etc). Plus we all have kids etc. It takes a lot of courage to change fields, especially if you have a degree in one field. Taking the time to change to get another degree is hard when you are working. Not to mention the pay-cut you have to take a lot of times to change industries.

I gotta commend you on your courage and audacity. I have bought a ton of books on various gaming technologies, and they just end up sitting on the shelves why I go on with my life. Maybe one day.....

Btw, I was curious about your start-up MMO. My group talks about licensing a game engine (I know it costs a bundle)....we were thinking CryEngine, The New ID one (forget its name, its the one that allows multiple texture layers or something without effecting performance), and of course the Hero Engine. Did you guys start to right your own Engine, or were you going to license one. I always figured if you could get the backing then licensing would be the way to go...

Ildaron
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Question 1

My D&D friends told me so I sat down and registered for Beta!

Question 2

Wondering why I can't sit in a bar.

Question 3

Pants. I am a guy I like wearing pants. I know some guys like wearing shorts, but my prefrence is pants. Now just because I play an arcane caster does not mean I need a dress. For the love of god pants!
:)

Cowdenicus
01-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Let me preface this with the only thing I want to say to Tolero is "Hey there, How you doin'????" :D :eek:

Question 1
How did you first hear about DDO? Game Informer, pre release.

Question 2
What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing? Socializing and the lack of social channels in this game hurts, alot. I am really crying on the inside.

Question 3
What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you? New and intresting zones, combat type challenges, quest arcs, and most importantly something challenging, but not because of twitch skills.

That is all.

Geonis
01-18-2008, 03:33 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Okay, first last week's questions:

1)Pretty much, tried UO for a couple weeks and did NWN online worlds a bit, but I have been here since like 2 days after launch and they will have to pry my cold dead hands from my controller (that's right, controller!) to get me out of Stormreach!

2)"Somebody get WOTC on the phone, tell them I want 10 copies of every 3.5 book released. Let's go through and figure out what can be easily and quickly implemented and put that in, then we finish the PHB!!!"

3)FUN!!!!!!!111!!ONEONEONE!!!1111BBQFTW

4)The combat system.

This week's questions:

1)The interweb.

2)I assume you mean game-related? Designing characters for other people. Definitely one of my favorite activities when I can't play.

3)Replayability. Eventually everyone finishes a game, but what makes a truly great game is the desire to play it again, with a different character, choosing a different path, whatever.

Jaggie
01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
last week's questions

# 1 Is this your first MMO?

Yes and the only MMO to keep me playing for more then 5 minutes.

# 2 Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?

First, strut down the hallway to the beat of 'staying alive' by the Bee Gees and proceed to hand out cookies to everyone. Then... skip of to my first meeting of the day :p

# 3 If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories

Peofunple ((yes.. fun in people.)) Okay okay, Fun.

# 4 What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?

Besides my monthly subscription? Umm.. I'll go with the fighting/attack system. I like having to run up to things and mash my mouse button, hoping to roll higher then a 1, and hit it.

This week's questions.

#1 How did you first hear about DDO?

My boyfriend found the 7 day free trial thingie. He then spent 4 days trying to convince me to play it. Now he's spent over a year trying to get me to stop :D

# 2 What do you find yourself spending the most time doing when you're not questing?

Roleplaying in the Phoenix, looking for more cookies in the AH, running around/doing back flips in circles in the market, finding things to jump off of, umm... finding ways to die in front of permadeathers ie. finding things to jump off of >>

# 3 What is the most important feature a game can have to make it enjoyable for you?

For every game, no matter what style game play it is, I've always liked the ability to go back and play an old round/quest/puzzle again. Most games are linear and don't allow you to go back and replay your favorite scene or quest. Those type of games, I'll pick up, play it for a few hours and finished or not, I may never pick up and play ever again.
But with a game where I can go off and re-pick something that I've already done before and re-play it... Yeah... I love those :3
*runs off to play Mario cart on her N64 now* weehhh!

Vinos
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Nope. I played CoX 1st
Question 2

I would have to evaluate the state of the game and then let the playerbase know.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The statistical customization for characters

Question 1

A friend turned me on to it. Oddly he quit a couple weeks later and went to WoW

Question 2

Character Maintainence

Question 3

Endgame content.

In red and yes I'm back. I got a game card for X-mas so I'll be around for at least a month.

Tolero
01-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Alas, it's that time to bring another round of questions to a close. But fear not, be on the look out for next week's edition on Monday! If you missed your chance to answer this week's questions, they'll be provided as an encore Monday in addition to the new batch of questions.

As always, a very big thank you to everyone who took the time to participate this week!