PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Halfling Caster

Monvictis
01-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Hey just started the game and was thinking of making a halfling caster. Basically just looking for any suggestions or builds since I don't know what I'm doing. Was wondering which is better for a halfling, wizard or sorcerer? I also want to be able to solo fairly well if that's possible, at least at the lower levels. Is a rogue/wizard or rogue/sorcerer a good idea? Thanks for any help.

Dariun
01-12-2008, 08:02 AM
If you make a halfling wizard and take the halfling dragonmarks you can make a very good arcane caster who can also heal (himself or others).

I'd recommend 17 or 18 INT (I'd go 18), an 8 or 10 STR, and as many points as you can spare into CON (at least 12).

Unfortunately, unless you are very experienced, patient, and at least moderately rich, it is nearly impossible to solo at low levels with a caster. It's actually easier to solo at higher levels as a caster because they eventually become very powerful, but they start out quite weak.

Dariun
01-12-2008, 08:03 AM
A couple of links that might be helpful:

link 1 (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=126726&highlight=halfling)
link 2 (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121763&highlight=halfling)

Monvictis
01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Hey thanks for the help this gives me some ideas to start with. Couple more questions: I kinda know what the dragonmarks are but don't completely understand when or how to get em? Also, I'm assuming a "dragonmarked" halfling means taking the dragonmark feats? If I decide to try the repeater crossbow/ wizard build should I take fighter first or later? Thanks.

Dariun
01-13-2008, 08:49 AM
You can't take a dragonmark when you create your character. You have to complete a quest in the Harbor (near the Mailbox, I think) and this will explain how you get a dragonmark. If you decide to take a dragonmark, you will have to give up one of your other feats. To get all of the halfling dragonmarks, it will take 3 of your feats. Wizards get extra metamagic feats (for maximize spell, extend spell, etc.), so it doesn't hurt a wizard too much to use 3 feats on dragonmarks (it would hurt a sorcerer more to do that).

If you wanted to take a level of fighter, I don't think it matters when you do it, really. If you are trying to solo the early levels you might as well take it at level 1. Repeating heavy crossbows are very good on low and mid levels, but less effective at higher levels.

I'm a fan of multiclassing but not a big fan of multiclassing wizards or sorcerers because they lose more and gain less from multiclassing in my opinion (I think rogues, fighters, rangers, paladins, and clerics can gain more than they lose by multiclassing).

It's up to you though. I have a friend who took a level of ranger with his wizard, and he has always been happy with the character and he is pretty effective.

Club'in
02-14-2008, 03:54 PM
You CAN take the Least dragon mark at level one. I'm pretty sure I did on my ranger/rogue. The person in the Harbor was plugged in to accommodate existing characters (the dragon marks came out many months after initial release).