PDA

View Full Version : I Want a Warforged; But What Class?

Markev
01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I will hopefully be unlocking 32-point builds soon, and I've always wanted to make a WF. So I've got that figured out, at least. But what class?

Sorc/Wiz- My main is a Sorc, so I'd rather try something else.

Cleric- I know I definitely want to make a 32-point Cleric (always easy to get a group when you're a cleric, am I right?), but somehow I don't think that a WF would make the best Cleric, what with both a Cha and a Wis penalty.

Rogue- Already have a Drow rogue I'm leveling, and I've already invested a tome in him, so...

Fighter/Barbarian- A tank or DPS machine could definitely be fun... I haven't done a serious melee build yet. Yet I feel that a Dwarf would be better. I want something that, if not entirely optimal, at least feels distinctly WF, you know?

Ranger- Never got the point of Ranger. I don't believe I've ever seen a non-multiclassed Ranger, either, now that I think about it.

Paladin- This one's interesting... I've read some stuff on this forum about utilizing the Bladesworn Transformation, and it sounds like a really fun take on a melee build. Is it practical, though?

Bard- I don't much about Bards at all... I somehow doubt a WF with their Cha penalty would make for a very good one, but if anyone has any unique ideas, feel free to share.

So what do you guys think?

Ghoste
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Try a stealth wiz. A whole different experience than playing a typical sorc.

Hvymetal
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Also you might be suprised abut the efectiveness of A WF Cleric, they get the Bladesworn Transformation also and at level 6.

Markev
01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Haha, Ghoste, you push that build like crack. I've seen the videos, and it's very impressive stuff, but simply not my thing. I PUG mostly, and I doubt most PUGGers would have the patience for a stealth-based wiz. Also, I'd like to try a melee character for once.
Any one have any ideas?

Borror0
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Bard- I don't much about Bards at all... I somehow doubt a WF with their Cha penalty would make for a very good one, but if anyone has any unique ideas, feel free to share.

Warforgedchanter (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=115924)

Arianrhod
01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
WF also have a natural advantage as barbarians, with the immunity to exhaustion. I've also heard warforged immunities make them particularly good agains beholders (maybe a warforged paladin? LOH works full strength on them too....)

D'rin
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Also WF pallies can take the bladesworn transformation for some serious damage potential.

Hvymetal
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
This got me to thinking, and I know it's contrary to conventional wisdom, but has anyone considered a WF Barb tactics build? Perhaps take 2 levels of Fighter when cap goes up get improved trip, stunning blow, max out WF tactics enhancement line. What got me thinking was comparisons between fighters (specifically tactic/strat fighters) and Barbs, that showed that a raging Barb actually has better DC's then a Strat/Tac Fighter.

Litz
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Got a WF rog with a splash of ranger, for the TWF. Also got a heavy repeater feat, and she's a finese build. Up to lvl 10 it was rough to stay interested. Now I'm having a blast though..

Hvymetal
01-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Got a WF rog with a splash of ranger, for the TWF. Also got a heavy repeater feat, and she's a finese build. Up to lvl 10 it was rough to stay interested. Now I'm having a blast though..

I got a WF Rogue w/ 2 levels of Ranger and currently 1 level of Fighter, will be getting second level of Fighter and Superior TWG when cap goes to 20. Level 12 now and a blast:) Plus groups look at you weird when the Rogue shows up and he's taller than everyone else.

But Way of the Mechanic repair is cool as all hell:)

xanvar
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I have played a ton of warforged builds and I have to say that while lacking a bit in build points the other attributes of the class make them more fun to play than any race I have used. Few things compare to standing in a poison fountain at level 1 and watching all of the other guys run around with the icon over thier heads. Plus with my barb I can stay raged without drinking a restore pot and not suffer exhaustion. Hold person will take down any other race that fails the savings throw fast. Even a good pally will fail a savings throw every now and then. Its also tons of fun to sneak around as a rogue. The extra constitution makes a big deal for every class. Are warforged the best race? I guess it depends on what you consider the best. You could probably say Drow make the best sorc/wiz, dwarf the best tank, most of the classes will be pretty equal with rogue, though drow may do that the best as well. But for my money I will stick with the forged because for me the best class is the one I enjoy playing the most. Plus with a 32 point build you can make your forged more charming and wise than the typical forged. What ever class you finally settle on though I think you will enjoy playing warforged. Thanks for reading my rambling I am up way to late for my own good :)

Ghoste
01-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Haha, Ghoste, you push that build like crack. I've seen the videos, and it's very impressive stuff, but simply not my thing. I PUG mostly, and I doubt most PUGGers would have the patience for a stealth-based wiz. Also, I'd like to try a melee character for once.
Any one have any ideas?

:D

ebnielsen
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey
This is the build I am using for my main a 32 pt WF tank. The two levels of Paladin are for the better saves and LOH which is nice in the middle of a battle. The levels in Rogue are for the sneak attack damage and UMD so he can use repair wands. When the level cap raises he will get one more level of each fighter and rogue.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.75
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Blackskull Reforged
Level 14 Lawful Good Warforged Male
(10 Fighter \ 2 Paladin \ 2 Rogue)
Hit Points: 208
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 13\13\18\23
Fortitude: 19
Reflex: 12
Will: 9

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Strength 15 15 18
Dexterity 12 12 12
Constitution 16 16 18
Intelligence 10 10 10
Wisdom 8 8 8
Charisma 14 17 18

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Balance 2 5 0
Bluff 2 4 4
Concentration 3 4 4
Diplomacy 2 4 4
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle 4 6 6
Heal -1 -1 -1
Hide 1 1 -4
Intimidate 2 4 4
Jump 3 6 1
Listen -1 -1 -1
Move Silently 1 1 -4
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 0 10 10
Search 0 0 0
Spot -1 -1 -1
Swim 2 11 1
Tumble n/a n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a 19 22

Notable Equipment
Shield: +5 Heavy Steel Shield of
Helm: Nightforge Darkhelm
Ring: Brass Beaver
Ring: Ancient Band
Goggles: Trapblast Goggles
Trinket: Mummified Bat
Belt: Planar Gird

Level 1 (Paladin)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Haggle (+2)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Adamantine Body
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction I

Level 2 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting I

Level 3 (Fighter)
Skill: Repair (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Iron Will
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I

Level 4 (Fighter)
Ability Raise: CHA
Skill: Swim (+2)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Critical
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I

Level 5 (Rogue)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+8)
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility I

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Use Magic Device

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting II
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction II

Level 8 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense II
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II

Level 9 (Fighter)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Swim (+1)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility II
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II

Level 10 (Rogue)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+7)
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting III

Level 11 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy III

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost III

Level 13 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction III

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Quick Draw
Enhancement: Fighter Strength III

GORAK
01-13-2008, 10:09 AM
A warforged bard can be very fun and interesting to play. The access to cure wands and spells makes you near self healing until your UMD gets high enough to use repair wands reliably. Mithral body, +5 docent, 20 DEX, +5 shield and Iron Manacles (Delaras end reward) can give you a 36 AC by level 8. A high UMD even gets you to use Repair and Reconstruct scrolls and can be pretty handy when you find a nice race restricted item you can use.
A warforged bard can even go the Way of the Heavy Metalist and pick from an assortment of heavy metal tracks, tunes and drums from the heavy metal enhancement line.
Just kidding
:-)

Gaermain
01-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Haha, Ghoste, you push that build like crack. I've seen the videos, and it's very impressive stuff, but simply not my thing. I PUG mostly, and I doubt most PUGGers would have the patience for a stealth-based wiz. Also, I'd like to try a melee character for once.Any one have any ideas?

Make a bard of the warchanting variety. =)