PDA

View Full Version : INTRODUCING: DDO Backstage!

Quarion
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Did you ever find yourself with the urge to ask the Developers of DDO random questions? We took a collection of your random questions, and asked some DDO Devs answer them, for a new feature called “DDO Backstage!”

The first edition's question is:

What is your forum name and how did you come up with it?

Codog - Codog was the PnP name for my father’s impetuous barbarian character. I named my forum name after his character as a tribute to him for being an involved parent . Every Thursday night, I have a DDO session with my dad, my sister, and my old PnP crew.

Keeper - I role-played a simple fellow in Asheron’s Call named “the Blueman”. If I had to log off for dinner or to answer the phone, Blue’s explanation was that “his keeper was calling him”.

Eldorudo - I thought very long and hard about what to use for my forum name. I will spare you the pain of revealing the cast away names, some were quite laughable. I wanted a name that had some personal significance in addition my own little flair. El Dorado is one of my favorite Edgar Allan Poe poems. The Spanish definition of El Dorado is “The Gilded One” and it typically signifies a goal or something that you strive for. This job to me was my El Dorado. Now of course I had to add my own personal touch to the name and added a variation of the word Rudos which is what the heels or bad guys in Mexican wrestling are referred to as. Now I don’t consider myself a bad guy, but I do enjoy Mexican wrestling and felt that it sounded good and would be a perfect forum name for me.

Tolero – but I suppose I’m better known to the DDO players as “Merlask”, but that is my personal nickname. So for work purposes, I went with something different that had a nice meaning, and I’m a big fan of Roman culture/Latin. Additionally, based on the other community relations folks names, I went alphabetically: (P)atience, (Q)uarion, (R)amen, (S)affron, so I went with (T)olero – meaning “I endure.” My role-playing character had a sort of Buddhist outlook on the world, to “endure” her karma. I’m rather fond of that approach as well.

Phax - The name Phax was one of my characters names in Ultima Online. The full name was inspired by the name of the dwarven fortress Pax Tharkas from the Dragonlance novels.

Glin - It’s an elvish word, in most dialects it loosely translates to singing or poem and is a synonym to gleam.

Zyrca - My forum name is Zyrca and it originally came from my first character that I created in Asheron’s Call. During character creation, I was staring blankly at the “name” field and thought “well, I like the letter z, and y, and huh, here’s some more letters.” That was about a year after Asheron’s Call shipped.

DeadlyGazebo - It’s based on an oft-repeated tale of an adventurer from the early days of DnD – an adventurer who has been hacking and slashing his way through many interestingly named monsters looks out upon a nice estate, is told he sees a Gazebo, and promptly attacks it. After a bit of confusion, the DM says “It’s too late. You’ve awakened the gazebo. It catches you and eats you.” Searching online for “the Dread Gazebo”, or “the Gazebo eats you” will get you the whole story. I wasn’t involved in the original in any way, I just thought it was a great story when I started playing DnD; I’ve heard Richard Aronson is responsible for the original story.

Quarion – Quarion is a demigod of rock and stone, (derived from “Quarry”), in an ancient lore. I felt it was appropriate because I can very much be tough as a rock, or roll with the punches. And I think it sounds neat. And I’m fond of the letter “Q”.

Nereid - I was a huge fan of Greek Mythology when I was a kid and loved the stories about the Nereids – and, of course, it is a great old-school D&D Monster, so it seemed perfect.

That’s all for now, look for the next installment coming soon!

Arkat
01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
First!

BTW...my forum name's from the Runequest RPG from way back.

KoboldKiller
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Simple, my favorite pastime.

RictrasShard
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
My name is an anagram of one of my longest running characters who I've taken through a number of games, Richard Starr.

Dane_McArdy
01-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the background. After all, we have wanted more insight on the dev's and this is a great introduction to some of the different people behind DDO. First step in establishing an ongoing dialog is to get to know the person as a person.

Dane was actually taken from Dane Cook, because I was listening to him a lot when DDO started up. I normally go with Stavenham, a name which I thought I had created, but turns out it was once mentioned in a Katherine Kurtz novel. Once, in one sentence, and stuck in my head, like a toad in a stone.

I wanted to break from Stavenham, and decided on Dane, as it seemed appropriatly fantasy. McArdy because it works with Dane.

Of course, now people just call me Dane all the time, even when I am playing different characters.

Hendrik
01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I usually take a name from something that has significance to me from either my past, something I was doing or reading at the time.

I got Hendrik from my past PnP days and one of my favorite Modules. I took it as a homage to my DM at the time who has since passed.

:cool:

Right with you Dane, appreciate the insight into the people behind the names and how they got them.

Still think Merlask/Tolero should be forever known as Mertolaskero!

:)

Cowdenicus
01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Quarion,

While this is good PR and such (and I would love to see more of this) the timing is a bit off considering the lack of information about Mod 6 out there.....

This is your Barbeque and I aint going to knock it, but if it was my Barbeque I might release this type of info after we had a working Mod 6 build on Risia and such (all of it or a significant portion of it at least).

Just my opine....

Sambvca
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Sambvca is what I add to my coffee when I play on Sat mornings.

Cowdenicus
01-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Sambvca is what I add to my coffee when I play on Sat mornings.

Buca, Buca, Buca... oh wait, I am not in a foreign port anymore, no need to chant.

Strakeln
01-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Not exactly anywhere near the top 1000 questions I might ask a Dev... but thanks, I think...

I've had a PnP character by my forum name for a while, I think I originally pulled it from the PHB. Creativity is not my thing.

GuitarHero
01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I actually didn't pull my forum name from the game of a similar title. When i was in high school, i played in a couple garage bands, usually as the singer. I knew basics on guitar, but not much. Well, a buddies band was doing a "Battle of the Bands," and their guitarist had a little trouble knowing when to say when, and ended up falling while walking up the stairs to the stage, breaking his arm. He waves me up, i grab a guitar and get dubbed their "hero." So even though they/we didn't win first place, (third, in case your wondering), i got tagged the guitar hero for a couple years. When i went to make my forum name, and noticed that its a bad idea to use your account name as your forum name, i resurrected the old moniker for another go around.

Hendrik
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I actually didn't pull my forum name from the game of a similar title. When i was in high school, i played in a couple garage bands, usually as the singer. I knew basics on guitar, but not much. Well, a buddies band was doing a "Battle of the Bands," and their guitarist had a little trouble knowing when to say when, and ended up falling while walking up the stairs to the stage, breaking his arm. He waves me up, i grab a guitar and get dubbed their "hero." So even though they/we didn't win first place, (third, in case your wondering), i got tagged the guitar hero for a couple years. When i went to make my forum name, and noticed that its a bad idea to use your account name as your forum name, i resurrected the old moniker for another go around.

Good story!

:cool:

dragnmoon
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Not the question I would have started off with... but that said..

My nic came from 96 when my mother got AOL online... I loved Dragons and Astronomy so I wanted a nic to pull from both.. I picked Dragonmoon, since AOL only allowed 9 characters in a Nic back then (DOH!) I shortened it to Dragnmoon... stuck ever since..

Theboz
01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I once had a hair cut like the Footbal player Brain Bosworth, and my last name is similiar to his(Bostwick), so my nickname came to be The Boz

Mad_Bombardier
01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Mad_Bombardier is from my old Age of Empires days.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3360/bombardot2.gif

It's a fun play on "Mad Bomber," but in medieval terms. I earned the nickname based on my playstyle and unit of choice to level my opponents' towns.

jjflanigan
01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I wanted to be creative...my First and Middle initials are both J, and my last name is Flanigan.

Heladron
01-07-2008, 01:32 PM
My forum name comes from a name that was used as a "hacker" handle back in the BBS game cracking days. Basically, since I was in high school and taking geometry at the time hedron came to mind. Since I liked playing D&D and the dice are basically hedron of one sort or another. I also like the Transformers cartoon and added something of a flare to hedron to make it sound like a Transformer robot name. Heladron was the result.

Man this is nerdy and embarrassing. If you make fun of me I'll sue you for online bullying. :D JK

MysticTheurge
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, I like to think my Forum Name is fairly straight-forward.

I actually first selected it as my Forum Name on WotC's D&D forums, and I have to admit, I was a little surprised it wasn't taken.

When I started playing DDO, it only seemed appropriate to use the same forum name.

Aspenor
01-07-2008, 01:36 PM
It's my first DDO wizard's name, and I stuck with it since everybody knew me as Asp already.

Dariuss
01-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I've been using "Darius" as my online name for.... well, years and years, (I don't recall exactly when, bu I know it was before Everquest came out)...

So on the first day of Headstart, when we could make our DDO characters that would stay into the Live Launch, i ran home at lunch and made "Darius". I was very excited it let me pick the name. Of course when I finished making him it told me the name was taken (tell me before darn it!)

So i thought and thought and thought about another name to use. Being the smart, creative fella that i am, I came up with "Dariuss". So that was my first 'real' DDO guy, i still play him, and I used it when i signed up on the forums.

cdbd3rd
01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
CdBd3rd...

One of my more personable 2nd-edition characters I played for several years.

Clarence de Beau de Thurd, a swashbuckling roguish type of guy.

Arnya
01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I rolled a rogue on the trial and when I subscribed and hit lvl8-9 I couldn't get groups (between mod2 and 3)

So I rolled a cleric (Not rolled, clicked ok, next ok :))

I named her Arnya after my step-daughter Anya (But had to add a 'r' to be unique)

She was pretty bloody popular back on Adar - capped every mod, one of the first to 1750, all the dragon gear before the DQ came out...

Still can't delete my gimp 28 point cleric with 16con and 8.5 ranks in UMD that heals for 952HP per crit :)

Queleri
01-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I came up with Queleri while playing Gemstone III back in high school, I always like names that start with an odd letter like Q, Z, X, etc. so I've just kind of stuck with it. I don't remember the exact details on how I came up with it, but was reading a Star Wars book at the time and I believe the bad guys name was Kuellar, and my mom had some hair spray Jheri or something like that and it eventually just lead me to Queleri.

Kerr
01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
This is your Barbeque and I aint going to knock it, but if it was my Barbeque I might release this type of info after we had a working Mod 6 build on Risia and such (all of it or a significant portion of it at least).

Oh c'mon. Even you have to admit the amount of effort it took to compile this list wouldn't have affected development time at all.

Hence
01-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Haha... funny stuff.

My name comes from: ORIGIN Middle English hennes (sense 3) : from earlier henne (from Old English heonan, of Germanic origin, related to he ) + -s 3 (later respelled -ce to denote the unvoiced sound).

Hahahaha... I never really had a reason to post on forums before, but this game forced me, hence I had to make a forum name.
I originally wanted to create a Paladin named Hence Forth, but Paladins suck the seeds out of avocados. So I had to use it as my forum name.

akla_thornfist
01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
my name is the first d&d character i created back in the old days, it was great bringing him to the comp screen after all these years and he looks just like he did back then.

Tyrande
01-07-2008, 02:15 PM
My forum name comes from World of Warcraft: Tyrande Whisperwind, a powerful alliance boss character that need a raid party (40) of level 70 characters to potentially defeat.

I have also planned to use this character name for my Elf or Drow Druid, which I have been waiting for 2 years now. :(

Azoralq
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM
My name was orginally to be Azor'alq, but you didn't allow for the apostrophe. I rather enjoy coming up with unique names that can be hard to say, or at least, can be.

Ustice
01-07-2008, 02:18 PM
When I was in high school, we had some football rosters done by Pepsi. They looked great, but they COMPLETELY misspelled the town names. One of them was Eustis, which they spelled Ustice. We were making fun of this in Spanish class, and pronounced it like you would in Spanish (oo-STEE-say), and it became like this... character. I don't remember the details about it, but when it came time to pick a name on some of the local BBS's (if you are an old-fart-geek like me, and you remember those) I thought of that. Since then, there hasn't been another one online that I have seen. Since it is 5 letters (yay!), pronounceable, and original, I stuck with it.

Ustice
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
My name was orginally to be Azor'alq, but you didn't allow for the apostrophe. I rather enjoy coming up with unique names that can be hard to say, or at least, can be.

I like names that match what I envision the culture/language to be. My worst was a Crystal Dragon Hatchling in Rifts by the name Reishmiloschmilahchk (I can't even spell how I pronounced it, but everyone just called him Ray...)

Missing_Minds
I can never come up with names for characters, so coming up with a forum name... yeah. So I just chose this little thing. I figured it fit will as I would forget things on occasion, let alone I'd also see how many people would try to insult me by attempting to point at my name when they disagreed with my statements. So far I've counted only one.

MrCow
In a land that has stricken me with a multitude of nicknames I simply chose the nickname that people use the most for me.

Purgatory
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Mad_Bombardier is from my old Age of Empires days.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3360/bombardot2.gif

It's a fun play on "Mad Bomber," but in medieval terms. I earned the nickname based on my playstyle and unit of choice to level my opponents' towns.

Mini CB anyone? :)

Arianrhod
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
From Welsh myth, Arianrhod is most often described as a moon goddess or priestess.

She was my favorite character from the Mabinogion, vain and unrepentant. She wanted to pass herself off as a virgin (it being a particularly prestigious fad at the time), but got tricked into bearing not one, but two children. She refused to acknowledge their existence, and when pressed, kept cursing poor Llew (the firstborn) with terrible fates. She came to a bad end, and so did both children (mostly her doing), but it made for a great story.

Huebacca
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.jooce.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/chewbacca.jpg
my real name is Hugh...but im nowhere near as hairy. :D

Cowdenicus
01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Oh c'mon. Even you have to admit the amount of effort it took to compile this list wouldn't have affected development time at all.

I concur. At this point though I wish to look forward to what should be nearing completion as opposed to looking at the past and all. It isnt about development time at all, to me it is about priorities.

Quarion could have easily rapped off a list of the quest names (and levels) for Mod 6, and I am sure that would have garnered alot more posts than this.

Kavel_Havae
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
My name is a Dutch Derivative of

Dank je wel ("dahnk yuh vel") -- Thank you very much

knock off the dahn and you get the rough form of Kavel.

and Havae is a small Fijian Island north of Fiji (Viti Levu) and South West of Tuvalu for all the google earthers out there.
Latitude: 12° 28' 60 S
Longitude: 177° 7' 0 E

And it's a real Island Paradise :D

Shaamis
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Awesome thread, I always like seeing how people generate names for their characters, which ultimately, is a fragment of their self-evaluated personality.

Mtmouse3 is my first e-mail address from long LONG ago, and that, is a derivative of my nickname (Mighty Mouse) I had when I was in the Army. Even though I was the shortest member of my unit, I could do more push-ups than anyone, and routinely scored 270+ (out of 300 possible) on the Physical Fitness Evaluation exam.

Plus, I like Mighty Mouse, I think he is cool :P

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/mtmouse3/thmouse.jpg

rpasell
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
HA!

The Dread Gazebo story is really funny.

Mad_Bombardier
01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Mini CB anyone? :)That's ME! :D

sigtrent
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Sigfried Trent is my name. SigTrent is a shortening of that. :)

Seablade is my usual "internet handle" but a few years back I decided to present myself by my actual name as a way of tying in my on line activities to who I am in the "real world" so that if I met folks who knew me from on line then they would know me a bit in the real world. Fortunately I have a very unusual first+last name combination. Actualy so far as I can tell it is utterly unique.

Mizyrlou
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
HA!

The Dread Gazebo story is really funny.

It is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Vampi_Digitalwytch/deadlygazeebo.jpg

Falco_Easts
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Falco - What my mates from rugby call me
Easts - The club I play for.

No idea how I got the nickname Falco. It was one of those night on the drink where no one can remember why they started calling me that but they can all remember doing it and it sort of stuck.
Considering some of the nicknames my mates have, I got off lucky.

nightmedic
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
my forum name is a derivative of my occupation i'm a paramedic and i work at night so nightmedic it is :)

Kavel_Havae
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Falco - What my mates from rugby call me
Easts - The club I play for.
Considering some of the nicknames my mates have, I got off lucky.

/Hijack

Union or League?

and while I was in Oz I played for Box Hill RUFC (Victoria). got stuck with the name "WACO" then pushed into playing Hooker. The only reason I'm asking is that I played a few matches down in Hobart and Launceston, we might have met on the pitch, and had a nice booze up later. :)

/Hijack off

smodge13
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
First 2 Letters are the first and last letters of my First name, Last 4 letters is the end of my Last name, 13 is the age i was allowed my first email address.

Smodge was a nickname for me as i was a kid, explained above is where its derived from.

Falco_Easts
01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
/Hijack

Union or League?

and while I was in Oz I played for Box Hill RUFC (Victoria). got stuck with the name "WACO" then pushed into playing Hooker. The only reason I'm asking is that I played a few matches down in Hobart and Launceston, we might have met on the pitch, and had a nice booze up later. :)

/Hijack off

Union. Played a few games of League but couldn't get into it as much as Union. That and the League competition folded.
I mainly play Hooker but also roll into Prop and No 8 when needed. Play for the Eastern Suburbs Roosters down here. Did you come down with the state team or play for one of the local clubs? Either way, depending on how long ago you played we probably went head to head (literally) on the field :)

ahpook
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
"Ah Pook Is Here" is a work by William Burroughs. Saw an animation based on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C5XuylNFLo) in a Sick And Twisted animation collection and it stuck with me. It has been my gamer handle since my first Doom death matches.

SteeleTrueheart
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
My first ever character that I created for Baldurs Gate. It has now become my online name in nearly all forums I visit.

Yvonne_Blacksword
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Its really kind of a long story..
I met a woman once...Who wanted to change her name to Yvonniva...
I doubt she ever did. She was kind a...poor in the pockets but rich in the soul.
She said it was a Russian version of Yvonne...
The memory of her stuck with me, because she was a strong woman in an impossibly painful situation..but still strong.

When I rolled my first PnP character I named her Yvonne...Yvonniva was beyond the party's comprehension.

I was then told I needed a last name. Since her story was she was an outcast and didn't talk about her past...I know..such a cop out for deciding on a background...
...I was finally forced to pick one.

I said ok...Silverblade...but it is only assumed--not her real name..(in hiding remember?)

So my first character was Yvonne Silverblade.
For my entire adult life, those who know me well know me as my alter ego, Yvonne.
Yvonne is a do-er...a go getter...a brawler...a schemer and vicious. Evil Yvonnate(TM)
Not like me at all...

It had been my alter-super-secret name for so long...I forgot the original Yvonne's last name...something to do with an edged weapon...um...oops.

If ever my real self is in trouble, if I have a difficult or painful task to do, if a bully needs a beating, or I have to "kill"(TM) someone...
It HAS to wait until Yvonne shows up...One drink, one bar of the poisonous chocolate...and she arrives.

Bringing the Yvonne to a situation near you!
lol.:rolleyes:
~~no actual humans have ever been permanently deadened by Yvonne's "kill"(TM)...It is a Psychological attack...~~
Don't feed me chocolate...

DiscordianPunk
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Man, I wish I had a cool story.

Um, I worship the Goddess Eris, and her holy book(!) is called the Principia Discordia. Also, her worshipers are called Discordians.

And I'm a punk.

OH! AND YOU ALREADY WOKE UP THE GAZEBO!

Just trying to get in on the 'cool.'

Saaluta
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I actually took my name from 2 different languages, one invented and one real, it was originally Sa'aluta when I played SWG, but had to be changed due to no apostrophe in DDO. Sa comes from Qenyen(Elvish) and means fire, aluta comes from Amharic and means struggle or struggles...so literally my name is fire struggles :)

Saaluta :)

Aranticus
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
i just wanted a roman sounding name. most end with "us" ie maximUS thus the end of the name. n if you broke up my name, its A-rant-icus. thats what i used to do back in my dnd days. used to rant at the DM for giving us silly reasons. ie:

DM: you fell through a dark hole
Me: what hole?
DM: the one the rogue did not spot
Rog: ???i NEED to spot a hole during the day???
DM: you did not tell me you kept a lookout

glad to say that session ended early... but the DMs later were not much better :p

Invalid_86
01-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I usually played a Rodian in capture the flag games of Jedi Outcast, or a Rodian bounty hunter in Jedi Academy Movie Battles. I used the moniker "The Raging Rodian!" (despite not even using Dark Rage!) because it was kind of tongue in cheek and because I just dig Rodians. It has just stuck whenever I have moved on to other forums.

Incidentally I met the actor who played Greedo a few years back, and now I have an autographed picture of Greedo in my front foyer saying he didn't shoot first. Take that Lucas!!!

ethsar46
01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Mine was also the name of my Toon on Asherons Call.

lol, i miss the good old thisledown server.

Standpoint
01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Standpoint is the name of the old hardcore band I was in in high school/early college. I use the name in all video games online. I find it an easy way for people to find me, and recognize me from other games. Plus, I usually don't have any problem getting the name, since no one else would take it. Especially in DDO :)

query
01-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Well, let me start that I didn't plan to sign up until later than I did, so I planned just a 10 day trial and was going to use another name I'll mention later; so I took a derivivative of it and poof: "Query." I am quite the philosopher and very high thinker, so I often go by the name "the truthseeker" rtepresenting what I ponder using that title since 1990. However, I have found out he exists on an alternate plane of reality now separate from my thoughts that created him...I hear he's trying to enter Stormeach as a monk this incarnation ;) PC coming as soon as Monks are....

As for my (other) character names:

If you've ever visited the Fellowship of the Golden Night, or been on Thelanis some time, I'm sure you know my main character: A Warforged "Male" Wizard 12/Rogue 2 named "Cerulean Blue Shadow." The name was inspired by what I saw on another earlier in the game and 10 day trial (not my one where I did subscribe later) at the Cerulean Hills at dusk. Entire backstory, rise and fall and rise thing. He was recently honored by the Drow at a ceremony at precisely 1750. He can now train others, and is smarter than some gods even.

"Savioure' Behind" is a rapscalion Male Drow Bard 3 (and advancing). Eventually, his ego and the title Virtuoso will be as one, but he does have a good heart. He got his performance name when he saved a little human girl, and she innocently but percouciously said, "You Saved my Behind." Now he tries to be the one that gets people out of jams, but his independent and impulsive reactions make him as much as a in trouble also character....for now.

"Fearface" Male Barb, 5 is on the Sarlona Server. Back in the days of 3.0-when I thinik I was only playing D&D for 22 years (Started October 1977, and 3.0 was 200, right)-somebody said that it was "impossible" to make a survivable halfling barbarian.

Treineas Holystalker" Drow male Paladin 2/Rogue 1 is just an experiment I wanted to try from a PrC similar to "Shadowbane Stalker." Never got into him, and may delete him.

Never use ultimaite negatives with me. Not only did he last in PnP 3.0 campaigns, I rolled him up on a private "onine world" when "Neverwinter Nights" (I) came out.

Unfortunately, I have not had a lot of time to deal with Sarlona, but I do go back now and then. His "goal": To meet and eventually adventure with the legendary Ham Hunter Kargon. He wants to show, "I kin b' a tuff barbar'n 'lso!" Technically may be smarter than Kargon, or equal, but I'll let the sages debate that.

Coming so soon as early as tomorrow:

Tanky McHackN'Slash: A "Tin Can Dwarf" Male Fighter 1 if there ever was one. All those things you heard about dwarves...probally are true with him. If he doesn't work out, he'll just have to be "hired" as a Mule ;)

And coming to Thelanis at an unspecified future time:

[Name not yet disclosed]: A Female Warforged Cleric who argues constantly about her philosophy and why she follows the "True Lord of Blandes" to her "sponsor."

There you go, forum and character backgrounds present and future all.

Oh, and the "Deadly Gazebo" is from Knights of the Dinner Table." KOTDT for us readers. I remember when that story first came out. I gawked, then burst out laughing, then read it again! Still not sure if I'm on the player's or dm's side with that one ;)

DoctorWhofan
01-08-2008, 03:52 AM
uhm...

er....

:)

Clorkan
01-08-2008, 04:15 AM
I brought the name from an old PnP character I played for many years. The character was an elven wizard and reached such notoriety that when I would travel to conventions up to 300 miles away, I would still occasionally catch bits of conversation between other DnD players about this certain character. And, yes, my roleplaying groups usually had players from all over the state drop in for a weekend of fun occasionally.

Clorkan

Serpent
01-08-2008, 05:39 AM
My name came from my fiancee's mother. Not a fan of her, well neither is my fiancee for that matter. Anyway she was talking about the bible one day and how all children should have a strong good biblical name. Well I piped in with "hey, Serpent is a good biblical name. Last I checked he had a pretty big roll in all the Eden stuff." Well this did not go over well, but I am marrying her daughter so she'll have to put up with me. That is the story of Serpent Goodbiblicalname.

btw... kids names, if boy its jon after my father (family tradition first male named after grandfather... if girl, Harley Quin. Cause I'm a dork. :)

Joalin_the_Theurge
01-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Joalin was my first 3.5 character. She started as a Half-Drow Sorcerer, the became a Favored Soul, before finally becoming a Mystic Theurge. Once she had finished, she may have only had spell levels for a character 4 levels lower in arcane and divine spells...but every spell she had was as powerful as any cast by the same level single class (thank the gods for Practiced Spellcaster and Ioun Stones). Throw in a Monk's Belt, Bracers Of Armor +8, Amulet Of Natural Armor +8 and Ring Of Protection +4...and she was one girl you didn't want to meet in a dark sewer! (Did I mention our DM was nicknamed Monty Hall) So that is where Joalin came from.

xanvar
01-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Xanvar is a 2nd edition DnD Character that I have used for the last 15 years or so. Originally was a multiclass thief/sorc githzeri in the planescape setting. Since there are no githzeri on DDO I have used the name for every race except a human. Right now Xanvar is a Barb warforged on Kyber. Who knows what vessel his soul will end up stuck in before it is all said and done.

Ron
01-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Hmmm, I can't remember where I came up with mine.... :)

Lo_Pan
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
My forum name is the same nickname I use online, on any forums I can... If it's not taken. It's a bit of a pun on the Mandarin word for Boss, and black market boss..... It's also a reflection of the fact that I work in the Chinese take out food business, so I'm always in big trouble for something.

PhoenixFire31
01-08-2008, 08:51 AM
The Phoenix has always been one of my favorite mythological beings.

Besides, I have this really bad habit of re-rolling alts just for fun (they never get past level 4 :D) the idea of my characters being reborn fit the name too. :D

BTW: the 31 is not my age, just my firstborns birthday, July 31st.:)

I use this name whenever I can :)

lostinjapan
01-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Mine should be obvious.

bnrilfun
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
my first pen and paper characater name was Benrill Funn so to shorten it for a license plate i went to bnrilfun. If it had not been this it would have been Paralon or Grimlie. Grimlie was my first Asheron Call toon name and Paralon was my first Everquest toon name. All of my toons are based on pen and paper derivitives.

Gornin
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Nothing special about this forum name. Just made it up for one of my DDO characters.

I usually use Corlain after my very first DnD character way back in '79. I completely made up that name too, but it seems someone else did too and I find it hard to use it anymore on new accounts. Anyway, he is still alive and survived my munchkin/powergamer/monty haul days of my youth, and after a major overhaul to make him more realistic is now a major NPC in my world. He has traveled to most worlds and planes and has a penchant for Earth rock music and has taught many bards and wizards to be responsible with their power. That wizard from Faerun was a horrible student, but he turned out OK. :D

VonBek
01-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Um, I worship the Goddess Eris

Hail Eris!

Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series includes a few protagonists from the "Von Bek" family. Since the novels suppose an Eternal Champion born into multiple conficts throughout the "multiverse" it seemed fitting for a game with so many settings an endless succession of avatars.

Like Baker, Pertwee, Eccleston, romping through the ages, across many worlds.

Heathen_Child
01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Some friends and I started our own religeon, which is actuallt fairly easy in this country, and we went with Ungodly Heathen Nekkid Bastard Children. UHNBC for short. So, naturally when I started my cleric on DDO I had to go with Heathen. I was super surprised it wasn't already taken, and even more so when we server merged and I got to keep it.

ToeTank
01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
TOE are the initials to my name and tank is the easiest type of characters for me to play.

Torcmund
01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Torcmund is the name of my first DDO character, a cleric. It is formed from Old English. The prefix "torct" means bright and the suffix "mund" means hand. So "bright hand" describes his function as a conduit for divine power. I dropped the second "t" in "torct" to make the name easier to pronounce. I used Old English for some other character names as well:

Baduwyn - "battle joy" - purely offensive barbarian
Rathlaf - "clever survivor" - rogue
Osthryth - "god force" - another cleric
Osbrand - "god sword" - paladin

Rowanheal
01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Rowanfire was my first character, a shammy, in Everquest, the first MMO I ever played. Loved that game.

Rowan became the first part of every character I made thereafter if I wanted to be known as me :D

So when I made a character in DDO and decided on a cleric, Rowanheal was born...

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

P.S. They let me be PINK in Everquest *sniff sniff*

teapotdome
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
teapot dome.....cuz i always wanted to have a scandal named after me......finally decided it'd be easier to just change my name to an existing scandal.....

Zorlinta
01-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Zorlinta FreeSpirit, the name borns one day years ago that i was introduced into a old mmorpg, that game was interesting but unfortunately the classes on it have some specific sex for apply on it, and so all healers and sorceres were females, after a while, im think well and decided try out over my favorite classes still if have to play a female character, so im was in need of an awesome nick that have lots of unique characteristics that i would like to my character have, so the name borns from mix words Zorrita (young lady fox, to be smart/quick thinking) and Linda (pretty).

Dark_Helmet
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
My name stemmed from when I was biking and wore my helmet (it was black) all the time (would forget I had it on). Plus, I was a pretty mean hitter at the time and it went along with people calling me DH (designated hitter). Yes, I had the name before Spaceballs came out - Also, I probably played the character it was based on before you were born (1979). ;)

Beherit_Baphomar
01-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Beherit is (was) a devil.

Also the name of a freakin' awesome band from Finland.
Check out Drawing Down the Moon.

Baphomar is just another take on Baphomet.

SmallFrightenedBunny
01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Of all names, the only one to strike true fear into the soul of a warrior.

Hambo
01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Hambo was my first DDO alt (a Barb). For some silly reason at the time I could only come up with "Rambo", which I knew wouldn't be acceptable. After a little thought I combined "Rambo" with a nickname for one of my other hobbies... I'm an Amateur radio operator, or "Ham".

Hambo the Barbarian is long gone, but the name has been recycled for my Drow Wizard.

Kindoki
01-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Kindoki is an African continent word meaning witchcraft. You can go a bit more indepth than that, but that's the nutshell version. I was researching a name for my original DDO character (and still my main - Gwyar Nwyfre, a famous celtic healer of ancient times) and stumbled across it. I liked it, so I made it my forum name, as well as a short lived character name.

TechNoFear
01-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Loud repeditive music, esp. drum and bass, scares me.......

The name I use on other (mainly programming) forums is not acceptable.....

Dark_Helmet
01-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Loud repeditive music, esp. drum and bass, scares me.......

The name I use on other (mainly programming) forums is not acceptable.....

I see that and it reminds of the british show "The Young Ones" from '82-85. Bands like Madness and and Moterhead performed on it.

Neil (Nigel Planer): It sounded like he would say "ooo, technofear!"

But I digress...

Hvymetal
01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Hvymetal, I was going with Heavy Metal, which I used on X-box live in BF2 but it was taken:( Thus Hvy was born and now I just use it so I don't have to go through the trouble of getting my first attempt at a name rejected usually... Lazy, I know:)

Killbilly
01-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Killbilly was a high school nickname short for killer hillbilly. The hillbilly thing was a long standing joke based on the fact that despite living in California my entire life I (allegedly) had an inexplicable southern accent. My friends decided that it was hereditary and teased me about my strong hillbilly blood. The killer part came from having hobbies like paintball and fencing, and generally having a confrontational demeanor.

zombie_steve
01-09-2008, 07:49 AM
My name is what friends call me because the sounds I make when I wake up <,<

Jixxel
01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
My name came from an older than dirt program I used to use to create random names for NPC's in my old PnP group. I was creating a new ranger to play in a friends group and got stumped when it came time to name him. So I loaded up my trusty program on my Commie 64 (yes it was that long ago) and viola Jixxel was born.

Aeneas
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Aeneas is a hero of greco-roman mythology. He was a son of troy who escaped as the city was razed. Afterward he was involved with the carthaginian queen, Dido who eventually killed herself when he left her to found Rome. He is said to have ascended to godhood at the behest of his mother, Venus with the help of the river god Numicius.

The story of Aeneas's ressurection and ascension is one of many that predates a more famous one and is a shot of sorts at the we're #1 attitude of a certain popular religion. (No, your guy wasn't the first, and his story is no more believable than Aeneas' and a batch of others spread throughout written and spoken history( Odin, Osiris, Quetzlcoatl etc,). The point is, it's a story, not an excuse to push your product and beliefs on the world.

Also, i like the mispronunciations of it in voice chat, you can almost hear people blush :D.

LA_MIKE
01-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Blind_Skwerl
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I have worked in casinos and played cards for a living since 1987. A friend I was playing poker with called me a "Blind F*%$ing Squirrel" after I got back-to-back straight flushes in a holdem game. Since then, everyone in the casinos started calling me Blind Squirrel. I started using Blindsquirrel at all the poker sites so friends (and even the rare, misguided fan) would know who I was. When I moved to a state that didn't charge $100's for custom plates, I decided to put Squirrel on my car. Between shortening it and taken versions, SKWERL was born.

Kulhwch
01-10-2008, 01:24 AM
(pronounced "KILhookh" with the "kh" as in the Scottish "loch"), in Welsh mythology, is the son of Cilydd son of Celyddon and Goleuddydd, a cousin of Arthur and the protagonist of the story Culhwch and Olwen (the earliest of the medieval Welsh tales usually, but erroneously, referred to collectively as the Mabinogion). In this tale the etymology of Culhwch is explained as "sow run" (cul "narrow, a narrow thing"; hwch "sow, pig"), but this is likely to be folk etymology. According to the narrative, Culhwch is born to his maddened mother Goleuddydd after she is frightened by a herd of swine. The swineherd finds Culhwch in the pigs' run, and takes him back to his father Cilydd. Culhwch is described as being "of gentle lineage".
Culhwch's stepmother wants him to marry her daughter but he refuses. Angry, she curses him so that he can marry no one but the beautiful Olwen. Olwen's father, Ysbaddaden, is a vicious giant who will die if his daughter marries, so he requires Culhwch to complete a number of impossible tasks, the most prominent of which (within the tale as it survives) being Culhwch's gaining of his cousin Arthur's military assistance, and the hunting of the wild boar, Twrch Trwyth. With Arthur's help, Culhwch completes the majority of the tasks, kills Ysbaddaden, and marries Olwen.

StrikerDroid
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Well let's see, StrikerDroid came from a Star Wars Flight sim called SW: Alliance. I joined a guild called the TFA and I needed a name so I used character I was working on for a Fanfic that was part cyborg pilot and had the callsign Striker. Hence Strikerdroid. I just liked it so I stuck with it and it whent with me to my other online games. Plus I have never had to pick something else so it seams pretty unique to me.

HFGfeather
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
HFGfeather is my Forum name
H = Horse
F = Feathers
G = Graphics the name of my business Horse Feathers Graphics
It is a small clipart company if you are interested http://www.horse-feathers.com
Feather = the name of the first char I played in my first online game Cybertown.
The name was actualy Feather1 as there must have already been a Feather.
Azari

Ciaran
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Ciaran's a popular Irish name and one I saw years ago and really liked the way it sounded and the way it looked on paper. I've been using it for ten years, give or take.

Wow, the truth is boring. Let's try this.

Once, while backpacking through Ireland I fell into a bog and was rescued by the sidhe (faery folk). They took me to their high-king who's name was Ciaran and he happened to be a fan of video games. To pay proper homage to him and ensure his name lived on forever and in order to repay his people the debt I owed them, he instructed me to name all my video game characters "Ciaran" in his honor.

My life depends on doing so.

There, that's more interesting, isn't it? :D

adamkatt
01-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Real first name. An old boss used to say i sound like snagglepuss when i talk so he Called me Adamkatt. It just sort of stuck with me even if he was making fun or whatever. Some friends call me kitty as a slange on that nick...

Mad_Bombardier
01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
An old boss used to say i sound like snagglepuss when i talk so he Called me Adamkatt."Heavens to Merketroid." :D

Rouge
01-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Rouge was the name of my main Shadowrunner from the old Virtual Seattle Shadowrun campaign that the Role Playing Game Association ran for several years back in the 90's. Started to fit in as a Superheroine in City of Heroes and was perfect for a Matrix Online name as well.

Can never forget the chat room that I once walked into........ first thing I saw typed was "Lipstick logs in?"

Borror0
01-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I was trying to come up with a name for my character in Runescape (yes, I know..). I had totally no idea of what to pick. So I started looknig aroudn me if there migth be something to inspire me. There was, above the comuter screen, a few books laying around. One of them was a book about birds, if I remember correctly, written by a guy named Donald Borror.

Found the last name catchy and I went with it. Either "Borror" was taken or I was missing one character to not be under the minimum character limit for a name, but i was forced to had a letter. I went the number 0 to design that I was till the original one.:)

Just got used to the name and loved it. I use it everywhere now.

Then, when I came on DDO the zero at the end became Z'rro, so Borror Z'rro.

Now, if someone could explain me why ppl always skip the last r.. I'd like to know.:p

Arramis
01-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Kind of obvious here. Yes, it's one of the Three Musketeers, and yes I've always spelled it with two Rs. I didn't know how Aramis was spelled when I took the name for my first PnP D&D character waaaaay back in 1980. At the time, I didn't think the Three Musketeers was a very popular tale. But, since I spell it with two Rs, it's not the same name.:D

Affront
01-13-2008, 09:44 AM
My forum name is from a novel by Iain M. Banks. It's the name of a species of aggressive gas-bag/jelly fish like creatures. It's also the name of an in game character who never seems to make it past level 3 ...

Syrbryce
01-13-2008, 05:05 PM
SyrBryce or Sir Bryce is my SCA persona. Since health and other issues have pushed me away from the middle-ages mock combat I love, I found DDO (my first and only MMO) to be an adequate at-home equivalent. Since DnD introduced me to the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), I found it fitting to go back to my fantasy roots. This is also the name of my first 28 point serious character, a 14 Pally that has just recently been resurrected from mule status.

wrinyn
01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Wrinyn is the name I've used since Toril and Sojourn MUD's from 1993. He was a necromancer of some worth in the game and created the Hands of N'ghash Guild. I've used wrinyn as a wizard in every DnD game since. I started playing PnP again and Voila, Wrinyn was reborn. When I started playing DDO beta he was my first and I leveled him to ten but then created a drow wiz due to learning some of the disadvantages to my build. Wrinyn has been changed into a death priest since Xanadryn has been a much better wizard (don't tell wri that).

Xanadryn was created using the patterns of drow from Sojourn MUD. I was told the names had to sound harsh and frequently use x's and z's. I thought the name was cool until I subconsciously named my drow after a dietary pill......Jokes on me but I won't get rid of him....

On a humorous note, my 5 year old son named his dwarven cleric Fatburger Bunz. He named it himself and came yelling down the steps so that I could see his first PC that Dad didn't "help" with.....

Fallensbane
01-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I like the behind the stage thread. I only wish the Rocking Dead were still around. He had some of the best dungeons (if not the best dungeons) in this game. I always felt that he actually listened to what the community wanted and tried to implement things that made sense and were fun (not a lot of the tedious stuff we have seen more often than not). DDO is a great game, hopefully someone left on the team can keep bringing us new and exciting ideas in quests, not just more of the same.