PDA

View Full Version : Ranger combat style SRD question

Fallout
01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Way back when, before thread history loss, I remember seeing something about rangers and combat style - archery and TWF. What was Turbine's comment on combat styles? Not having played PnP, if a ranger chooses archery, does it mean he loses the free TWF feats and vice versa?

It seems Turbine is unwilling to make range combat stronger because it would make rangers too powerful, since they would then excel in both range and melee combat. I'm interested in making a range only ranger, sacrificing melee skills.

What about new ranger feats that specialize? For example new ranger specific archery feats that improves range attack, but removes free TWF feat.

Kerr
01-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Yes, a Ranger in PNP only gets to choose one of the two combat styles, ranged or TWF.

It's not feat of making Rangers too powerful that keeps them from improving it, it's fear of most everyone just kiting mobs or ranging them that keeps them from doing it.

But unless there were SIGNIFICANT improvements to Ranged, no one would take that line.

Mad_Bombardier
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
What about new ranger feats that specialize? For example new ranger specific archery feats that improves range attack, but removes free TWF feat.The new Ranger enhancements give this opportunity. Ranged Rangers can choose archery specialties, further improving their archery. Melee Rangers can choose Tempest specialty for faster TWF combat. So, for now, they can improve their favored style without any loss. Let's see how that plays out in the new Mod. :)

sigtrent
01-07-2008, 11:53 AM
If ranged combat were too strong it would make the game boring. Not that I don't think it could use a boost, but it really could be a problem.

Imagine a world where ranged combat could do what barbarians can... imagine a group of 6 such characters...

Look a monster... thup thup thup thup
Woot we killed it before it even knew we were here!
Repeat untill sleepy.

No need to move around, no need to heal, no need to buff. Just tab and fire.

Indeed you can do that already with spells, but its a limited suply (per quest etc) and casters are inherently vulnerable characters and some critters are simply imune to various magics.

Anyhow, that's what they worry about, not if rangers are too uber. I think its more likely thus...

We cant make ranged combat super great...
So a ranger picking ranged style is the suck...
Lets give them both styles so they arn't gimped!