PDA

View Full Version : Tell Tolero #2

Tolero
01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
It's time to talk to Tolero again!

How it works:
I'll be asking you questions, and here in my thread, you tell me: What comes to mind; what you think; how you feel; etc, as it relates to the question(s) at hand. If you missed the previous week's questions, they'll be listed below and you can answer them here too. Thank you so much to everyone for offering their answers!

Ground Rules:
Before we get started, let's lay down three ground rules if you're going to participate in the thread. These ground rules also have a few samples to help clarify participation:

#1 - The single most important rule to remember while participating in this thread is:
No personal attacks.
If you disagree with the opinion of another participant, that's fine, but no one can make anyone agree to their opinion. Thus, please refrain from commenting on the personal qualities of others who offer their responses to the question(s). Personal attacks go against forum guidelines. Questions asked will be subjective, and some users will have a lot related to their opinion, while others may only define things in short phrases. All forms are acceptable.
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "Do you like ice cream?"
Player 1 "I hate ice cream because it's too tough to scoop"
Acceptable "I like it. It's not that bad to scoop once you let it sit on the counter for a little bit before you try to dip it Player 1."
Acceptable "I like it but I have the same problem as Player 1. What brand is it Player 1?"
Acceptable "I don't think it's too hard, I never have any problem with it. I like ice cream."
Unacceptable "That's cause you're a noob..."
Unacceptable "You don't have enough experience with scooping to be talking about how difficult it is"
Unacceptable "How about you back that opinion up with some numbers. If you can't prove it don't bring it here"

Everyone has the right to offer their response to the question(s), whether they have scientific data to back up their feelings, or they simply just "feel" a certain way towards the question(s).

#2 - Participate as well as discuss.
If you would like to join in the discussion, please be sure to offer your response to the questions as well, in addition to your conversation with any other thread participants
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "What's your favorite color?"
Player 1 "Blue"
Player 2 "Green"
Acceptable "Purple... hey Player 2, how come you like Green?"
Unacceptable "hey Player 2 how come you like Green?"

Please be sure to take the time to offer your own opinion of the question(s) before you engage in a discussion about other people's opinions in the thread.

#3 - Don't recycle the above hypothetical examples in your responses ;) as it spams the thread.
-------------------------- Let's Get Started! --------------------------

If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
If you could describe your favorite play style in one word, what would that word be?

Question 2
What is your favorite thing about DDO?

Question 3
If our CEO gave you a ring of three wishes, what would you wish for?

This week's question(s) are:

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories

Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?

Tanka
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No. I played City of Villains prior to DDO.

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?
Find a way to start pulling in more players.

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories
Fun. If it ain't fun, why bother?

Question 4
The quest system. I hate "Kill X" and "Gather Y" missions, and I'm glad they never made it into DDO except as optional collectible bits.

kruggar
01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

NO

Question 2

A Meeting with devs to discuss the current plans, and post in the forums a message saying hi to the comunity :)

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Spell Points! its a great way to use DnD spells in a MMO.

Yaga_Nub
01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Question 1 - No.

Question 2 - Take all of the devs out and get them super-drunk so that they have a MASSIVE hang-over. The next morning in a meeting, I'd point out that if they didn't stick to their schedules and create amazing stuff their butts would feel 10 times worst than their heads do with my foot in their behinds. :) (this is a joke)

Question 3 - Winning

Question 4 - Meeting new people.

WeaselKing
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1-Yes

2-Put up a new splash screen with an overestimation of Mod 6 release date

3-Fun

4-I'm not telling you because then it might ;)

bnrilfun
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
You asked for it hehe.

Question 1
Dangerously Fun

Question 2
I dont have to share dungeons and I dont have to farm 50 kobold ears for a quest.

Question 3
Enough money for wife and I to retire with all that we would like to have and be able to do.
DDO to open up Forgotten Realms MMO so I can go raid Zhentil Keep.
World Peace

Question 1
This is my 8th one

Question 2
I would have the Devs put together a timeline in Project that we could post for everyone to see what we have planned, and when we plan to launch it. Then as we get to that stage we create another Project Timeline that lists the individual things that are needed to complete that item with dates as to when they will be completed. Then as we succeed or fail to meet said date I would post what delayed it so that the players could see both what we are working on and what caused the delay. I think this would go a long way to get the player base calmed down.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The fact that you dont have to farm to complete a quest like they require in WoW.

Gengulphus
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Tolero, Thanks so much for getting this going - let's hope it continues!

As for this week's questions:

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

yes (but not my only one!)

Question 2

Propose that we work toward developing a seamless, explorable world where Xendrik and other continents could be traveled, explored (along with the inclusion of mounts, crafting, housing)

Question 3

Stories

Question 4

The real-time system of combat

KoboldKiller
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

First full time, experienced 2 others I will not name.

Question 2

Access resources to see what we can accomplish.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Simple, I hope it never shuts down.

Thank you

Oreg
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
see below

[I]

[center]This week's question(s) are:

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

NO

Question 2

Assign a team to work on randomized / ever changing dungeons (or at least traps and hidden rooms)

Question 3

People

Question 4
Amount of detail put into quest objectives (for the most part :) )

Albel
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Last Weeks:
Question 1
If you could describe your favorite play style in one word, what would that word be?

A: Casual

Question 2

A: Combat system

Question 3

A: More Quests, More classes (monk/druid etc), More feats/uses for skills/no limit to jump skill.

This week's:
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

A: Yes, it's the only one I was ever interested in playing online. (DnD for Life!!)

Question 2

A: Get to know the underlings...er other devs I'd be working with and work out a plan with them to take this game in a player friendly direction.

Question 3

A: People with Fun being a close second.

Question 4

A: I hope to never see the group aspect of the game change, this is after all a game built upon the group not the individual.

Montoya
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Question 1 - No. Ive played wow,city of heros,and lotr

Question 2 - I would start work on one or 2 random content dungeons ( varible placed traps and monster types ), one of everyones beefs is lack of content this would provide an avenue for people to experience something unusual and somewhat alliviate that feeling of Ive done it all.

Question 3 - Fun

Question 4 - Quest system

Hendrik
01-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Nope. Ultima Online was my first.

Question 2

After I am done giggling? Work on getting a Player/DEV summit into action.

Question 3

Hard to choose between Fun and People. I would have to go with People.

Question 4

The wonderful Quest design and detail.

Thank you Mertolaskero for these two threads!

/respect

LordFancyPants
01-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes.

Question 2

Find out why we haven't made another Tempest. A raid that requires NO flagging, has NO timer, and has NO named loot. One that takes a long time to complete, but can be completed. One where my guild can just go in and have fun, because no one is on timer and no one needs to worry about being flagged.

Question 3

Is Rocking on there? No? Okay then, I pick FUN.

Question 4

The game always needs to be fun. Change what you want, but it ultimately needs to be fun to play.

Kargon
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
1. No, Ultima Onlamaline was first MMO.

2. Increase Kargon Tasty Ham Drop Rate.

3. Fun. Of course, Kargon find pain fun :eek:

4. Tasty Ham. Nevermer make it taste like Smoke again!

Dane_McArdy
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No.

Question 2

I would ask that each dev find some time each month to talk to players. On the forums or in chat things. Maybe a total of 5 hours. We don't want them using their own personal time to do this, if they don't want to. Perhaps each dev should have a forum section for themselves, like how Codog made a thread for himself.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Combat. I like the active combat. It's so better then just standing toe to toe, hitting buttons.

Prinstoni
01-07-2008, 11:01 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

You are forcing me out of character, but okay...

1) No, and it won't be my last (I'm a video game geek :D)
2) Make sure there is a good coffee pot (or 10) and/or soda machine in the office. Then, call a staff meeting to get introduced to everyone. At staff meeting get a full update on progress with current game development (detailed are we done with A, B, etc, or are we having troubles with A, C is done, etc). Offer assistance and insight on how to progress forward.
3) Winning
4) The xp death penalty

MysticTheurge
01-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1) No
2) Nerf everything! Haha, I kid. Um... probably... fill out a bunch of paperwork? Then start coding more character options (spells, Prestige Enhancements, etc.)
3) Stories (...was there really any doubt? ;))
4) Honestly, I can't say there's anything here. I like change, as long as it's change for the better. So let's say "The devs commitment to making DDO a great game."

BurnerD
01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

This is it.

Question 2

I would try and figure out why the development team has been missing due dates over the last several releases. Maybe the fault does not lie with development, but wherever it lies it should be a Turbine priority to fix it.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
No major overhaul of the combat system. Could it be tweaked? sure. Do not change the mechanic.

tharveysinjin
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Question 1

Optimistic

Question 2

My favorite thing about DDO is how well the staff communicates when updates are going to be implemented and that those new updates almost always happen on time!

Question 3

1. A supermodel
2. A Billion dollars
3. Super secret clearance so that I could know when the next update will be performed.

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No.

Question 2

If I was the head developer, I'd want to make sure that we hired on some torso, leg, feet, hand and arm developers too, but after that, my priorities would be:
1. Get the content in for level 20 post haste.
2. Add races and classes that are missing, such as gnome, half orc, druid, and monk.
3. Add more content for all levels 1-20.
4. Add epic levels
5. Add prestige classes.
6. Add more raids like Tempest Spine.
7. Guild housing
8. New cities and lands

Question 3

FUN! (Once you build it, they will come)

Question 4

The loose adherance to D&D

DagazUlf
01-07-2008, 11:09 AM
1. Yep.
2. Announce that tomorrow everyone will do nothing but play DDO and browse the Forums. The day after that we're having a pizza party to discuss how the previous day went, and what was learned.
3. Fun
4. See #3.

The_Phenx
01-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Is this your first MMO?

Yes but far from my first fantasy type game

Exactly what you guys are doing...poll the community to see what makes them come to play the game. Then after I recieved that feedback, and had the product immersive and fine tuned I would get a huge art budget and do a seriously large paid update with a new Advertising blitz. Trust us if it was worth it.. .we would pay for it.

Fun.. the rest are elements of fun... if you have a kick ass story great people to play with and your winning... its still all fun.

The real time combat system. All problems etc aside its what has kept me in ddo, nothing else out there compares. And if DDO can generate the depth and immersion that the rest of the mmo's have I think it would become unstopable.

iamsamoth0
01-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Set#1:
Q1: Deliberate
Q2:A party that clicks. Running TR at mach speeds is incredible feeling. A tight group is the best thing you can hope for in this game, so much is dependent on having good teammates.
Q3: Lower price. Housing. Crafting. (Time sinks, something to do when no one is on, or available, or on limited time)

Set #2:
Q1: Yes
Q2: Tracking down bugs, refining the product.
Q3: Fun
Q4: That it keeps running, I would hate to lose all the stupid effort I have made at collecting. Not to mention all the money I have spent on it, since it is the only MMO I would really have considered paying monthly for. I think I have spent a hundred bucks at least on this game, it still boggles my mind, somewhat.
But, I have no issue paying as long as it seems the game will keep going.

Andora
01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes.
Question 2
Hold a meet and greet and then start brainstorming to find out what the crew thinks needs to happen to move the game forward.
Question 3
People

Question 4
OK, once more its a tie, combat, this might be my first MMO, its not my first game. The combat is fantastic. Then it would be instanced dungeons, I love to have my own area that will keep the DnD feel.

MysticRhythms
01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes.

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job??
Make every charater skill not involving trapfinding or UMD to be more useful.

Question 3
Fun.

Question 4
The encouragement and need for grouping.

5footStep
01-07-2008, 11:14 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. Yes
2. Start a quarterly campaign to pick one player created dungeon/villain/plot/idea and work to incorporate it into development as a quest.
3. People
4. The focus on group based questing

GrayOldDruid
01-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, actually, it is. :D Nothing else seemed interesting... oh, wait, no, its not. I played one MMO a long time ago and quit after two hours when I kept getting killed by high-level players for no reason whatsoever. Can't remember what it was.

Question 2

Gather information about everything, lol. Take inventory of Assets, number of Dev's on the team and their specialties. As for what I'd want to work on - one team for bug fixes that have been around forever; one team for making Druids; one team to work on User Interface, making a bit more Role Playing in the quest conversations, less multiple choice. Maybe some kind of dynamic animation for quest-ending - Take the characters, show their last 45 seconds of action in a cut-away-movie kind of scene for the quest completion. Implement Combat-log export, character sheet export (full info into a txt format). Get the Game Manual PDF updated to current level cap and maybe include a DDO Monster Manual - maybe as a pay to download thing ( $5.00 for all the info on DDO Monsters !! )

Question 3

Stories.

Question 4

.... The Fun.

rpasell
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, Ultima Online.

Question 2

Druids.

Question 3

Fun.

Question 4

Ever expanding content.

Flicken
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No.

Question 2

I would add an option to have party voice chat come through my headset and the game sounds and GM voice come through my system speakers.

Question 3

FUN!

Question 4

The core combat system.

Vorn
01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
1. Yes.
2. Meet with Marketing guru's.
3. Stories.
4. Cooperative PvE emphasis.

Memnir
01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yep.

Question 2
Two things - call a meeting with any and all applicable people (lawyers, devs, reps from Hasbro, Atari, WotC, etc) and try to find a way to either get Atari to start advertising the game again or to find a way to do it our (Turbine) selves. And then I'd ask for a pregress report on Monks and Druids since that's what most of the players want to see in the game.

Question 3
People.
While the plot line of the quet is fun - it just becomes background noise after running the quest the Nth number of times. The greatest quest story in the world would mean little if I did not have a good group of people to run with. I can laugh off a loss with my friends - sometimes a spectacular party wipe is more fun than just rolling over the opposition. For that reason, people = fun. But no people = no fun.

Question 4
That even though it has had to make adjustments to transition over to being an MMO - I hope it never strays too far from it's PnP roots. So far, it's been within my personal tolorance; but if that changes and I feel it stops being D&D... I'm out.

Dozen_Black_Roses
01-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?[/QUOTE]

1. No, I played Runescape for about a year before I was able to get a new computer that could play DDO.
2. First thing I would do is set a definitive unveiling date for Mod 6, post it on forums, and make sure to put the proverbial heat under the other developer's you know whats to get things rolling.
3. Fun, I would much rather have a fun group that might die or have mishaps, then a zerging group that before I knew what happened the quest was over and done with and there was no interaction with one another. If you want to do that then one should be playing non MMO's, I enjoy DDo for bringing the fun of the weekly group that I played PnP to the online community.
4. Large number of subscribers to sustain the game.

Dailus
01-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
no
Question 2
Request the person that came up with the idea to take XP loss out of the death penalty be reasigned to the LotRO team. That way they can work on a game that has no XP penalty and we can keep ours.
Question 3
Fun, otherwise whats the point.
Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes? Free content updates. While I expect that at some point there will be a boxed expansion I am really happy with the free content being rolled out.

Yeric
01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
This is my first MMO. It is not my first fantasy game.

I would hire or put on retainer Gary Gygax. Stk set the hook with me. That one dungeon had the feel and color of a PnP DnD session. More of that is needed.

Fun.

The combat. I did try lotr. Boring. I see the devs bringing in elements of lotr into DDO. Stop it!!

iamsamoth0
01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
~snip~I would add an option to have party voice chat come through my headset and the game sounds and GM voice come through my system speakers.~snip~

Brilliant! don't know how that would work for me, since the plug for the headphones is in the speaker. But, so true. The modulation varies so much for chatters, sometimes I have to turn off my music just to hear them. And that's at least 1/3 of the fun. Immersive music is intergral to a game.
Not like spelling, not so much....

ccheath776
01-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes it is. And I am now in love with MMO's.

Question 2
Walk around and meet all of the wonderful intelligent devs I have working for me. Then walk over to QA, give em all a big hug, a pat on the back for all the hard work they do. Then walk over to support and give them a "HELL YEAH!" for all that they do.Then I would get right to it and begin to speak with the dev team about things I see people in the community demanding the most. Right now its.
- Crafting
- Monks
- More weapons
- More visual effects like cloaks.
- More eberron specific classes and/or races
I would first ask if these are possible. I would ask in a way that say "If balance was not in the equation, could these things be put in?" and then go from there. If some of these are already in the planning stages I would get a hard date on when they will be rolled. Monks and crafting have been spoken about since headstart. Its time to start rolling this stuff or scrap it.
I would then view what projects are currently on the tally board. Since its my duty to decide I would scrap some that don't seem to be going anywhere, highlight the ideas I like and get hard deadlines for when those new projects can be completed.
I would immediatly float the idea of a new project strategy, namely scrum and AGILE. When working with a product that is both a maintenence line and a managed service you should have a product strategy that can diversify and match both. I would do this because I understand things are probably good right now but I can see that projects are not being rolled as quickly or efficiently as they should be. When I see players complaining about the lag in content, there is cause for concern.
I would then rollout threenew project ideas.
1. Live events into actual quests.
The whole Tchurvul line was great fun, but not much finality. If a live event proves to be popular why not wrap it up in an actual quest line? Players could battle the arch enemy or some other element. It gives DDO a sense of realism and makes the game have a small storyline to it.
2. Lets go somewhere..
Its time to move beyond stormreach and although I think this may be a mass expansion of DDO I think it will be a good one. If DDO is to compete with other up and coming MMO's it must open up a new area that is not on Xendrick and in the more well known populaces like The city of Towers and such.
I would start storyboarding on this immediatly.
The bottom line is that these things sound cumbersome and massive. But they dont call it "massive" multiplayer for nothing. We hire who we have to hire, we plan it, and we move forward. It may be a risk but one that could have big benefits. Either DDO does this and thrives or it falters and then dies out. Either way the game cannot simply linger with old content and mods that just bring more quests and raids.
3. Player contributed content
Lets have a player contest for a new quest idea line. Or concept art on a new monster. Some kind of player involvement. When players feel like they are contributing to the game of DDO, they feel more attached to it and that is a very good thing to do.

I am not a kick in the butt kind of manager, but I expect results or at least a good idea on when stuff will be finished. I believe in empowering the worker and the customer. If the developer has the right idea, they shouldnt feel limited in what they want and should be given whatever they need to get something done regardless of cost, equally I believe customers are an untapped resource of information. They play it more than anyone, they know what they want and the whole DND genre is unique because you have 30+ years of player experience to draw from. My basis of my first day would be to give the devs more power to program and create while also giving the player base a chance to contribute ideas.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The instanced quests. I like the ability to get on and play and not have to travel somewhere or walk somewhere to get something done. I like that I can get together, go and quest. I know you said one thing but I also hope the dev team does not change including the visual artists. I love the game mechanics and gameplay.

Turial
01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
[CENTER]It's time to talk to Tolero again!

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1) Yes, cause kingdom of loathing doesn't count as an MMO.

2) Either steal Q's fork of greater Codog bane or implement touch AC. Most likely steal the fork of greater Codog bane.

3) People.

4) The level of feedback that Codog has given the player base to questions on combat and the issues/cool things running behind it.

Qzipoun
01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
1. No but the first one I have actively played on a non-casual level.

2. Have a "talk" to whoever was in charge of Mod 5, especially the person designing the Abbot raid and it's massive nerfage

3. Fun (which requires the other three :p)

4. Combat system (if it is changed then only to make it better, not to simplify it into a WoW-like system)

RioRussell
01-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, first and only one. Tried WoW getting together with a sibling but quiclky got bored with the LONG travel times and apathetic combat system.

Question 2

I imagine I would take the entire Turbine staff to Chilis for the first annual Turbiees(tm) awards. No, that would be the second day. The first would be diversity day!

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

I like being able to enter a mission quickly after a party has been formed. Even the longest runs to quests are normally less than an extended haste away.

Zenako
01-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, but far from my first online gaming experience.

Question 2

Review the entire plan for development, general goals, rough timelines, etc. Distill this down into a release that could be posted on a forum such as this. Provide very rough estimates of expected time of release. Perhaps a two window into what sorts of things to look forward to. (that should get us to level 20 at least by then). Attempt to survey all users (not just those on the forums) about their level of interest in expanding the world perhaps, creating another contentinent to explore. Even if it was on a new set of servers, that would have some interest by many.

Question 3

People, if you have the right people, it is fun (and you generally win).

Question 4

Combat system is great. Leads to frantic and challenging gameplay at times. Still have issues with Mario Brothers Portions of some quests that make it almost impossible for some people to run those or fully participate. To get to a bonus chest, or shortcut, no issues, but to even complete the quest, really frustrating.

Aesop
01-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1.Nope I've done... many many many... they usually bore me but this ones kept my interest

2.Take stock of our resources and plan the next year of updates... in a generic sense. IE how I want to change things and what new toys I want to put into the game

3. Fun

4. Me having Fun with it

Aesop

Caelan
01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes... and no. I've tried others but never got past 1 day in them (previous to DDO). After playing DDO for a while I tried LotR and a couple others and they fall quite short so I've kept to just DDO.

Question 2

Sit down with each developer individually (not just those in charge... down to every coder) and ask them what is working, what is not, and what is hindering their production. And what would they like to see happen. I'd review the forums with a development view and see how much overlaps between them and start there.

Question 3

People... No, Fun... No... Fun People. :D

Question 4

I hope it never changes into a typical MMO. It's combat style, quick party gathering, simple party-based instances, not requiring hours and hours of tedium (running around and grinding to craft items just to get by), all of it.

inserted replies above.

Strakeln
01-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes

Question 2
Fire whoever tried to pass off the lesser-restoration-as-a-clickie as a clever solution instead of the lazy solution it is.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
Active Combat SystemReplies in red

Theboz
01-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes

Question 2

buy a new car

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The Combat Style

Altarboy
Question 1

Casual

Question 2
No endless travel times like other MMO's

Question 3
A quiver for rangers, A PROFANITY FILTER(to stop all the needless banings), Quicker release of mods

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No Ive played dozens

Question 2
Remove email and /tell ability on temp accounts

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The lag,I love lag

sigtrent
Question 1
Ultima Online (unless you count Tolkein MUSHes)

Question 2
Call a meeting :p Actualy I'd start an initiative for leveraging our fans creative energies to create content for the game.

Question 3
People

Question 4
Core game rules.

Borror0
01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Sort of, played one beofre but wasn't of this quality.

Question 2

Errr... either a talk with the ones in charge of the Abbot or talking about lots of new feats and enhancements.

Question 3

Fun. Winning is fun.:D

Question 4

Viability of AC?:D

Garth_of_Sarlona
01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
1. No, I played SWG before until the NGE

2. Find a way to attract more players to the game

3. People

4. The combat system and the quest/xp mechanic

Garth

llevenbaxx
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
1. When I heard DDO was coming out I picked up Guild Wars for the purpose of becoming familiar with online gaming.

2. cap all the enhancement lines where they are(stat ones at the very least) and start a drive to impliment more feats from PnP and uses for more skills. Could allow new enhancement lines only if they were of equal or lower power than the current ones.

3. Fun... which happens to include the other three about equally.

4 Combat system, single player feel in a multiplayer game. awesome.

Brutous
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

[-------------------------- Let's Get Started! --------------------------

If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
Fighter

Question 2
DDO

Question 3
1. Tell Atari to take a flying leap. 2. Give every player a +4 tome of their choice per character. 3. World Peace or Monks (which ever comes first.)

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Everquest
Question 2
Take the department out to lunch and talk about what their lives are like, maybe some business mostly get a feel of who they are and what they want to achieve.
Question 3
Fun
Question 4
The Combat System.
The Combat System.

tihocan
01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No.

Question 2
I'd fix the bug where the chosen difficulty is not properly shown in the quest entrance pop up box ;)

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The ability to create decent characters without being required to play 24/7.

Impaqt
01-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, this is not my First MMO, But it is my First MMO I've spend more than a year playing if thats worth anything.

Question 2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job? First and Foremost I Draft a State of the Game address. THis is LONG overdue. Second is to start generating just a little bit of Excitement for the game. Outside of these forums, the is hardly ever any mention of DDO Online.

Question 3
Fun?

Question 4
Looking for the next thing to Nerf? TO be honest, I cant thing of much that couldnt stand to be Improved or Enhanced in some way. I think the one thing that I definatly dont want to see chaged is the Multiclassing System. If PnP RUles were implemented for DDO Multiclassing it would definatly harm the longevity of this game.

Khyron
01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes

Question 2

Thank the little people I stand on who make me important.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

No Psionics

Cowdenicus
01-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Question 1

Strategery

Question 2

No long travel times

Question 3

1. More spells
2. Crafting
3. More content (including races and classes which add replay value)

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Not even close, I played WoW, EQ2, CoV, and EQ1

Question 2

Hire more programmers and work on an expansion release.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Customization, but if it does change, my hope is for more options of it.

Kisaragi
01-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
A.) No, I've had experience with Gemstone, Everquest, COH/V, and a few old ones people don't remember anymore. I started back on the Imagination Network playing Shadows of Yerbus.

Question 2
A.) Start polling like crazy. I'd try to figure out what direction players wanted to go, to determine how to allocate resources going forward. Make it standard practice to poll once every month to decide what needs improvement.

Question 3
A.) Fun.
Here's why;Let's face it, this is a game. I play it to have fun and relax. Perhaps a bit too much it seems. Let's get some mini-games in here.

Question 4
A.) Caring about the community. Combat, loot, experience, classes, races, quests, spells, storylines or even monsters can always be changed. If the players don't support changes we can always go back to alter it, or change it to be acceptable. Mod 5 was a good example of this. Many MMO's get to a point though, where either the developers get tired of it, or just don't care about the fans. One of the MMO's I listed above did this, and I left the game.

Rather then caring about the community, they did what they felt like doing. While I can understand, it disappointed me. They have gotten to a point where they release everything except what people are asking for. Their combat system is very very broken, yet they refuse to improve it, even if it's something the entire player base wants.

I sincerely hope the developers of this game; Q, Gazeebo, Jwbarry, Codog, Eladrin, and others I may have missed always continue to keep players in mind.

That being said, I would like more added to the world and more then happy to pay for it, even though I'm a broke college student.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-07-2008, 12:16 PM

Great questions

Question 1

Is this your first MMO?

The first one I've stuck with past the end of the trial period

Question 2

I'd ensure we have a long term project plan that we believed in (the normal 90% confidence on immediate items, 75% on mid term list, 50% on long term list, %5 on very long term list) and then I'd publish it on the forums with a hotlink from the launcher so that people had an idea what we were planning and very roughly when they could expect it (like the state of the game only much more detailed...)

Question 3

Fun :D

Question 4

The D&D flavor...I wish it had kept more of it and I don't want to lose any more of the flavor to more grind fests and mario brothers twitchfests

Great questions...

Agarwaen
01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
1: This is indeed my first MMO

2: I sure would love to make Firewall a bit less of a solve-all spell. I think what I would try first is making persistent, area-of-effect spells cause damage to the person who cast the spell if they are in the active radius. I wouldn't change them to cause damage to other players, because that would lead to griefing. Then I would play test that a bit to see if it works out. If so, I'd move right along to getting half-orcs and druids up and running :)

3: Stories. Nothing is more enjoyable than a well-written tale.

4: I agree that real-time combat is invaluable and should never change.

And in answer to last weeks three-wish question, I want 1) A massive expansion pack for DDO, 2) Some TV advertising for said package, and 3) More advertising for said package.

kengsxr
01-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

#1 no, Started with Planetside
#2 Re-direct assets to bug fixing, then new content
#3 Fun
#4 Play style

rfachini
01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
YES

Question 2
Well, first I'd have one on one meetings with all my direct reports to get to know them, the project, and their opinions. Then I'd get out my whip and get them to implement monks and druids. ;)

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
Unique quests that are not simply kill 100 X or find 100 Y.

Kylstrem
01-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Question 1
Preciseness

Question 2

Based on D&D ruleset.

Question 3
1) More quests at all levels
2) More varied quests (i.e. don't create a dungeon with 4 sides that are all the same, symmetry with same "win" condition on each of the four sides).
3) More classes/races

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes

Question 2

Hire more people (assuming Head Dev has that ability).

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
Dane McArdy :)

But seriously, I just want it to survive.

Yukiko
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Question 1

Agressive!

Question 2

Combat system

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No, UO was my first

Question 2

Have a nice long lunch-in meeting and get to know the people, current opperation of the department and do lots of listening.

Question 3

Winning

Question 4

Agressive real time Combat. I don't want the combat system to ever slow down.

The_Ick
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No, It's my 4th. (2nd long running)

Question 2
1) I would find out where the majority of the time was spend on mod releases/development and try to improve it.
2) I would see if player designed content was even a possability because i think that is the end solution to most problems.
3) I would find and fix the problems with the flow of information to the community.

Question 3
People, it is one of the major things holding me here.

Question 4
Nothing, i hope it always grows and moves forward. If it doesn't then inevitably, some else come along and do it better.

EpicEbo
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Question 1

Fun!

Question 2
Hands down the Combat System

Question 3

1) Monk/Druid and the Prestige classes
2)More skills and feats to help synergize multiclassed toons
3)More epic armor/weapons that is similar to the dragon scale stuff

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No. played EQ, DOAC, WOW, Vanguard

Question 2
Get 3 of my buddies to log in to the harbor with me as the 4 different dragons and create mischief and mayhem until the players worked together to stop me.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The real time combat system

Missing_Minds
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
last week
1: self seficient

2: being able to try out combos of stuff than I can't due to lack of PnP group.

3: a. and end to world hunger
b. stable planetary travel
c. the discovery of efficient renewable power that does not create a toxic/destructive waste.

this week
1. yes. I don't count the week I was trying CoH because the code was buggy as all heck. (back when 7900 came out and CoH had been out about.. 2 years?)

2. Gather them all up for a meeting to figure out what is slated for this next release (mod 6), stop all new quest creation for Mod 7, re assign people to only create monk and druid classes, spells, animations, create new races of half orc and half elf. Any one not assigned to these tasks will be set to work on fixing issues that plague players. Ladder hitching, mouse over no attack issues, etc.
Any non dev, but forum/web person would be fixing the online pages for issues and fixing the PDF manual if not rewriting it.

3. fun

4. That characters can never become more naked than what they already can.

szalkerous
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

First pay-to-play MMO. I've run many other freebies, including a WoW trial. I wasn't impressed.

Question 2

Change the awful background on my laptop... steal someone else's more comfy chair... and figure out if the IT staff monitors internet radio streams ;)

Question 3

Fun!! WOO!

Question 4

The general player base. Many good guys, few bad apples. (compared to other MMOs)

Sutek
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. I played Galaxies for a couple years then they destroyed the game with NGE. Tried Vanguard but was disapointed although it has potential. Tried and hated WoW.

Question 2

Give CoDog a raise and tell everyone that if they work as hard as he does I'll give them a raise too.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The complexity of the feat and enhancement options. Unless of course they make it more complex by adding feats, enhancements, classes and races to the game. I just wouldn't want to see the game dumbed down like SWG was.

EspyLacopa
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4
1: Nope, City of Heroes was my first
2: Look into development for a special new dungeon where each level is entirely random, with about 20+ floors. Every 5 floors or so would be a special Boss style encounter, along with a type of Save Spot so that you can continue from that spot in the dungeon if you leave. As the level cap increases, the number of floors can also increase. Each floor also gets progressively harder, and it scales to the number and levels of the party.
3: Fun
4: The freedom of being able to build any character you so desire.

GoldyGopher
01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Well after MUDS and my first was AOL Neverwinter Nights.

Question 2
Make a plan to speak with as many developers as possible to find out what they are working on and what barriers they have to completing thier tasks.

Question 3
People (Usually)

Question 4
The fact it isn't PVP

Neehla
01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Question Set #1

Question 1
Exploration
Question 2
The community
Question 3
Personal: World peace, lotsa money, continued good health
DDO: New challenges in the game, more room in Neehla's pack/bank, better communication between Turbine and its constituency (us players)

Question Set #2

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No. I've played a few others. Guild Wars was my favorite among them.
Question 2
Assuming I didn't know the other developers and was not a part of Turbine before, get to know them and read the forum boards to get player feedback. If I was part of the team, get right down to business! Firstly, defining why deadlines slip and making it better..even if making it better just means making the deadlines not so aggressive. Secondly, whether it is a reality or not, the perception of the players is that comminication with Turbine is not good. I would find a way to change that perception.
Question 3
People
Question 4
The sense of community on the server and the ability to play in whatever style that's your own.

Jundak
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. Have played several others.

Question 2

Have a sit-down with the Dev Team to figure out what everyone is working on, what they would like to work on/add to DDO, and what progress has been made in their current projects. Afterwards, I'd write a long list of "goodies" for Quarion to disseminate to the DDO community.

Question 3

Fun.

Question 4

The combat system. If that ever changes, I'm gone. :(

Marabias
01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, long list.

Question 2

Make a really big list of things to change.

Question 3

People

Question 4

Almost want to say combat system but even it needs some changes. For instance Spring Attack costs 3 feats and has almost zero return right now unless you manage to have a lag free fight. Even then the server is always a few steps ahead so you need to run infront of the ALWAYS running mobs to get your hits yet even tho the server says you are behind the mob for attacks while infront of it the mobs AI decides you are infront and it changes direction. There is a very small sweat spot to get into the mob and hit it, anoying...

So everything needs some change.

Taojeff
01-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Question 1: No

This would be a funny first MMO, as it is one of the few to have active combat. You would think other MMO's were broken.

Question 2:

I would get together with the Devs, bringing them all breakfast. Lay-out a bold new approach including a 2-year plan for DDO. Including revamping the patron system, balancing the classes, adding randomization, monks, druids, 4.0, etc. I would then take them out to lunch which would stretch to dinner while we discuss how to implement such changes.

Question 3.

Fun, no story, no fun, ...well I would not play it if it was not fun. So...

Story.

Question 4.

The combat engine of course.

DasLurch
01-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

-My second. The first one I played was CoH/CoV.

Question 2

-Find a way to put back the old system of monthly updates. Bare minimum of 4-5 dungeons per update. I do like the module update bit at a rate of ABOUT 3 months. Anything more than 4 is too long with out new goodies.

Question 3

-I can only pick 1? I want fun stories!!!

Question 4

-My loot table? No wait, that stinks!!! Definitely would like a better one of those. I'd like to go with the favor system. I like knowing that the more I do, the better rewards I get. This doesn't mean that I don't want to see it to continue expanding though:)

Hence
01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, I played Everquest when it first came out for about 2 years; then I dabbled in a bunch of other MMO's: Diablo, Phantasy Star Online, Diablo 2, some Korean MMO's... ect.

Question 2

Hire some more people to work on content.

Question 3

Winning, which is stupid because you cannot win in a MMO.

Question 4

The combat, I just hope it gets better.

Rragnaar
01-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1] Yes. I couldn't tolerate MMO's until this one released. However I did play what could be considered the grandfathers of MMO's in MUD's

2] My first day of the job would be outlining what needs to be done to help the players, and how this could be accomplished without upsetting the integrity of the game. Many of the people who troll the forums make outlandish requests to attempt and break the game or turn it into a game that resembles a different MMO they may have played, so creating this outline would involve discussing each thread request that has a valid impact on the game.

3] Fun. Winning is nice, but not always good for creating fun. People are required to play the game, but not as important as fun. Stories are integral to the game, but ultimately fun level supercedes all.

4] Quest structure. In every MMO there is one thing that stands out as different from many other MMO's, in this game, as far as I can tell, it is quest structure. Many of the games have a similiar look and feel to how the quests are done or how the characters level or even to the size of the landscape. Tragically, when i tested out LOTRO I noticed that it felt and looked much like WoW in it's play and look.

cccbeck
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Last Week

1. Casual
2. Combat system
3. Crafting. Random Quests(traps and mobs to make replayabilty more enjoyable. More Solo opportunites for while you wait for people.

This week

1. No
2. Randomize quests.
3. Fun
4. Combat system.

TKnor
01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I didn't respond to the original thread, so I'll just answer those questions here, too, for what it's worth.

Question 1.1
If you could describe your favorite play style in one word, what would that word be?Determined (to make it through the quest, to keep my party members alive, to not die playing solo). Depends on the role I'm trying to fill, really.

Question 1.2
What is your favorite thing about DDO?The active combat system. It's so much more fun to be able to fire arrows from cover or to take flying leaps off cliffs to bash your enemies. You just can't find this kind of fun in other MMOs because all you generally do is stand there and push buttons.

Question 1.3
If our CEO gave you a ring of three wishes, what would you wish for?1] That I could have the opportunity to affect Turbine's games in a manner that would be beneficial to their customers in a major way.
2] That more stuff in DDO was breakable (i.e.: I want to be able to break down doors and smash chests that are locked {and not just a door here and a door there}. MORE BREAKABLE DOORS!)
3] That Dungeons and Dragons Online can become one of the most respected and enjoyed games in the genre.

Question 2.1
Is this your first MMO?No. I've been in Asheron's Call 1 (had the first expansion, too), Asheron's Call 2, Star Wars Galaxies, Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, City of Villains, and now Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Question 2.2
Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?Show up and start working? If that, then work on finding a common base other systems in a game can be balanced against. I once had a moderately successful Quake 1 mod where all the weapons were balanced to a certain amount of damage/shot(s). It was great fun. Ah, the good ole days.. :)

Question 2.3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, StoriesFun: Actually, I think this encompasses the other three. You win, you have fun. You play with good friends, you have fun. You play with friends, experience a good story and win, you have fun!

Question 2.4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?The active combat system. Push button, fire-and-forget-type MMOs can get dull and monotonous over time. Plus, the active combat system allows you to jump on a crate, then jump off and thump a kobold with your maul. Something that'd take real timing with a push-button MMO and still wouldn't look half as cool.

Fetchi
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. No, I've played a few others.

2. For my 1st day on the job, I'd take out shrines. I would still allow players to rest, but they would have to choose where they rested. If they chose a bad spot, they would get hit by a random encounter. The players could even 'try' to rest as many times as they wanted, but the chance for a random encounter would increase the more they set up camp (or something like that).

3. Stories, D&D to me has always been about an engaging storyline.

4. I hope teamwork for dungeon completion is never changed. It seems like people can solo everything on elite these days.

Aspenor
01-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. yes
2. um, find the coffee pot ;)
seriously...i'd probably talk to upper management about their ideas and direction for the game, and give my input. Of course, my answers would vary depending on the info I got from them.
3. Fun
4. I hope that the combat system stays as close to where it is currently as possible, i think it's what keeps the subs.

GrayOldDruid
01-07-2008, 01:33 PM
On question 2 - need to add :

a team to work on Animal Companions, Mounts and more wilderness areas where those could be useful. Also, figuring out some way to make the Summoned Monsters/Animals actually be useful, improve their AI... maybe an enhancement line for "Summoner" with stuff like "Extended Summons" (doubles the summons time, before the Extend metamagic even), "Empower Summoned Creature" (adds stat points and +to hit), "Varible Summons" (where the caster can cast one spell and choose like the real spells 4 low lvl creatures, 2 mid-level or 1 spell level creature)... Right now, by the time we get a summon creature, the mobs we're facing whack it down in no time - and it can't hit them at all. and we need some way to give commands to summoned creatures - basic like "Stay" - "Attack" - "Come Here" (or they should 'snap back' if they get too far away) and "Next Target" and "Heel".

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, actually, it is. :D Nothing else seemed interesting... oh, wait, no, its not. I played one MMO a long time ago and quit after two hours when I kept getting killed by high-level players for no reason whatsoever. Can't remember what it was.

Question 2

Gather information about everything, lol. Take inventory of Assets, number of Dev's on the team and their specialties. As for what I'd want to work on - one team for bug fixes that have been around forever; one team for making Druids; one team to work on User Interface, making a bit more Role Playing in the quest conversations, less multiple choice. Maybe some kind of dynamic animation for quest-ending - Take the characters, show their last 45 seconds of action in a cut-away-movie kind of scene for the quest completion. Implement Combat-log export, character sheet export (full info into a txt format). Get the Game Manual PDF updated to current level cap and maybe include a DDO Monster Manual - maybe as a pay to download thing ( $5.00 for all the info on DDO Monsters !! ) Start research on how to put a bit more randomization into the quests. Even if it is just making some mobs "Patrolling" and have three or four variable locations for one trap and three variable types of the trap. That would make it a little longer to "learn" the quest so thoroughly that you can run it blindfolded and nit-pick your PUG for it.

Question 3

Stories.

Question 4

.... The Fun.

Theris
01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Question 1: Is this your first MMO?

No, DDO is my 11th Massive Multi-player Online game

Question 2: Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?

Create an advisory board, consisting of Turbine employees, players from the community, and industry specialists, dedicated to finding a way for third parties to create content for DDO.

Question 3: If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories

Fun

Question 4: What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?

The combat system, using the d20 system, and the D&D/Eberron world.

Tyrande
01-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. I have played World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Everquest II, Vanguard and got tired of each one of them.

Question 2

a) Examine the current development and testing processes and understand why schedules slip. Modify the development & QA process to be more "agile" and more susceptible to "enhancements".
b) Try to understand what does the player community want/enjoy and from there deduce the most profitable features to develop for DDOx and providing shareholders value.
c) Examine the player(s) retention bonus and incentives programs.
d) Find out where the development is at to filter out malicious spammers because this is one of the annoying side effect of the current build.

Question 3

I like to win.

Question 4
I hope DDO continues with the current quest infrastructure.
I hope DDO never stop new development activities: new content, classes, races, spells, feats.
I hope DDO never adopts what other MMO are doing: collect Xs, kill Ys and call that a quest.

Jondallar
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Nope
Question 2
Evaluation of things so Day 7 I could put out a State of the Game Address
Question 3
Fun
Question 4
The Combat Engine

crmeyer
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Question 1: Is this your first MMO?

No

Question 2: Imagine you've been appointed to be the head Dev... what's one of the first thing's you would do on your very first day on the job?

Take my new boss out to lunch and determine his/her vision for the development team

Question 3: If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories

Stories

Question 4: What's something about DDO that you hope never changes?

DDO remains Psionic-free

Hafeal
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1. Mischievous.
2. Choice of Group interaction or solo play
3. From a game play perspective
a) Less reliance on "clickies"
b) More viable end-game play for true multi-class builds (not splash builds)
c) Better control of the plat economy
From a true "CEO" perspective:
a) Gain control of the IP;
b) create a marketing plan once in control of IP;
c) implement the marketing plan

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. No.
2. Eliminate 1/2 the "clickies" in the game (a real time "combat" while having to pause to find 1 of 100 clickies on the screen is not fun. I would rather be "forced" to choose on clacluated risk what equipment to wear rather than having a "super sized" swiss army "backpack". D&D is about balance - give and take. Clickies allow players power they often times would not other wise have so easily available to them.
3. Fun ... All the others follow fun.
4. Change is inevitable. I just hope the changes that the future will bring will come with due thought and consideration after input from the players.

Coldin
01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

First MMO I have had an active subscription with. I've tried WoW and Everquest, but they never held my interest.

Question 2

I really have no clue. I suppose I would like to get many more enhancements available for all classes. I'd really like to actually see some fighter type prestige class enhancements.

Question 3

Fun!

Question 4

The combat. It's the best and most unique system out of any MMOs out there.

Deragoth
01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
1. No
2. Higher 2 more Developers (because I know everyone there right now is already working hard) and task them with adding more fluff. i.e. Guildhalls, crafting, character customizations, etc.
3. Fun
4. The real-time combat. Nothing out there even comes close.

Scarecrow
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
1. Yes, my first MMO.

2. If I were head Dev, I would try my hardest to get new classes into the game immediately. I would let the development on monks and druids continue, but get in new classes that could quickly and eaily be implemented, such as the ninja, favored soul, healer, swashbuckler, hexblade, warmage.

3. Fun

4. The D&D system itself. I love the system, and for me personally I've found this game to be at it's best when it's closet to the D&D rules.

Grond
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. been playingthem since the 90's, including The Realm, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of the Rings Online, and Helgate: London

Question 2

Find out exactly what my job entails. :D

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

I hope that the party oriented goals never change. This game has had far and away the most mature and helpful players of any game I've been in, probably because there's no gain in being a jerk here. Can't kill-steal, can't PK, can only ninja-loot in Spawn of Whisperdoom and BAM... great stage for cooperative play.

Deriaz
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. Nope. I've played. . . Oh, geez. . . World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, and a massive amount of free to play games.

2. Try to create a quest with a good storyline. I don't care if the quest itself is short, long, hard, easy. . . So long as it's a good story.

3. People.

4. The community, and the sense of immersion/involvement.

-D

mrtreats
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No i have and still play many MMO's this is just #1 for me at this time i play/pay for about 15
Question 2
Make myself a Half-Orc so i can have the barb i have always wanted :)
Question 3
Fun
Question 4
What's something about DDO that you hope never changes
The fun people telling stories as we are winning the fight :)

Answeres in red

darksol23
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Last Week

Question 1

Casual

Question 2

The combat system

Question 3

A new Forgotten Realms MMO with similar combat system. Crafting. Housing.

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No

Question 2

Find the bathroom... Sorry couldn't resist. But after that I'd want to get a state of the code report from all the Devs, and a vision of the future from the powers that be...

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The combat (and casting) system. Sure it's not perfect, but I've tried alot and I think it's the best there is. The quest system and a mix of quests that can be completed solo and some that can't.

narizue
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. I briefly played City of Villians but at the time my system could not support it so I stopped playing.

Question 2

Give Codog a raise. The Dog House is the best dev inspired thread going and appears to have started a trend :D

Question 3

People

Question 4

The backgrounds and images. The Vault of Night, The desert. The top of the lighthouse in the haven, to name a few.

wrightdjohn
01-07-2008, 03:54 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes

Question 2

I'm a programmer by trade so I would see if some design improvements could be made that enable the adding of new elements more easy. For example more chest/monster randomization.

Question 3
If you had to pick one of these words, which would you pick?: Winning, Fun, People, Stories.

Fun.

Question 4

Complex builds. I like multiclassing and all the options available. In fact I'd like even more if possible. This is a definite plus for DDO from what I've heard about other games.

Akhad_Durn
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, I played the original Ultima Online for a short time, and the original Everquest for an even shorter time.

Question 2

Check out the plan of record. Find out what the dev team is currently working on. Check the teams progress compared to where the plan says that we should be. Remove features (if needed) to deliver the plan on time. :rolleyes:

Really, what I'd like to do would be to hire a group of people to create quests for all level ranges between module releases. This would happen while the current team keeps working on items for the new module. This would give people more incentive to create new characters and play the new quests.

Question 3

Fun. Fun, can be composed of all the other elements.

Question 4

The cooperative nature of the game.

Cold_Stele
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. Yes - I'm from a background of FPS and PC DnD RPG games.

2. Carefully assess the DDO community and the needs and wants of the customers. The most important issue - after nearly two years are we at the stage where we need to prioritize retention of new and existing subscribers? Or have we reached the point where the remaining customers are die hard fans who are prepared to pay more for extra services and content to generate development revenue?

3. Win

4. Remain true to the DnD roots.

Pyromaniac
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
-No, my first MMO was Dark Sun Online (way long time ago)

Question 2
-Get some content created and communicate with the consumers of the product

Question 3
-Fun

Question 4
-The camera angle/engine/combat system

slumbering_dragon
01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No, i started out by playinf Star Wars, ever quest 1&2, and city of heros.

Question 2
Say hello to everyone and brag i am the head dev. ok jokeing aside i would call subway or Quizno's and tell them lets do a joint commeercial about citizens of STormreah love eating Subway and if you buy 2 foot longs you would get a $5 doller card used for only DDOm, or something like that.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
the combat style.

smodge13
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
1. No
2. Implement all Core material and have a huge advertising spree.
3. People
4. Community

sultro
01-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1 no swg, silk road, diablo 2 (considered an rpg?) edit" guild wars"

2 meet the gang.

3 in this context, people. but there would be lots of times i would say winning

4 the team focus/spirit of the game

Magehound
01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
1. Nope, played several that either went down because of lack of new content or were nerfed so bad, several that I just didn't want to play anymore, and several more that were boring.

2. I would try to let the players have a real idea of the problems that the dev's actually have. ie..Codog does a great job of this.
also would try to increase the puplic knowledge about the game. Have had several friends love the game after I showed it to them. They didn't know anything about it.

3.Fun then underlining stories. Because if it is not fun, I won't play it and the underling stories of a game make the world come alive.

4. being able to both build and play any character that you want and not forced into cookie cutter molds.

Cireeric
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO? No, Guild Wars

Question 2
Find out the state of development. Who is working on what? What can be done to move development forward.

Question 3
Fun. Without it, why play?

Question 4
Keep the action oriented combat. Never go to a click to attack and sit back and watch mentality.

woodspider
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1) No, but hopefully my last!

2) Explain the need for more forum communication. Then give everyone a raise!

3) People

4) The free content!

Issip
01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No (SWG, WoW, then DDO)

Question 2

First I would make the Devs play DDO live on the clock, from 2-4 hours a day, incognito with normal players (yes it takes time away from code-monkey duties, but reminds of them of what they are developing and forces them to interact with the game and see what people are exploiting, what is fun, etc.). Next, I would announce that once the next release was completed, all development (or as much as possible) would go to 2 categories: Bug fixes/General Cleanup, and creating more quests. Once all the little irritating items were fixed and the size of the game greatly expanded with new quests, serious develpment would begin on taking the game from level 16 to level 20 and including all the remaining bells and whistles (crafting, druids, etc.). I would also sit down and chat with the Raid development team about creating epic battles that require the skills of the players and cooperation without levers to pull or puzzles to complete, just extremely challenging combat.

Question 3

People (Although the forums reflect a lot of negativity the general maturity level of this MMO is vastly superior to others I've played)

Question 4

The real-time combat (best combat action in any MMO to date imo).

salmag
01-07-2008, 06:57 PM
1. No, It was Asheron's Call.

2. Meet the rest of my lackeys... err, the employees in my department. :)

3. Fun

4. The Fun. But it has been waning lately. :( Hopefully, it will improve again.:)

SteeleTrueheart
01-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes. I have tried others since but haven't (and do not expect to) found anything better.

Question 2

Hire more people to get more done. Classes/Races and content. Have a serious discussion with the lawyers to find a way to get advertising done on a more consistent basis.

Question 3

People

Question 4

That Dungeons and Dragons Online never goes offline for good. (Unless a better DDO2 came out of course)

DiscordianPunk
01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Question 1
Nope. I played Pre-NGE SWG, WoW, a bit of Evercrack, and a few others here n there. But... I'm here now, and I don't think I would ever switch to another game after the experience I've had in only a few months.

Question 2
Wow, actually a tough one. Probably snoop around the Monk developers' desks. I'm so giddy to get them some day! Oh, and, uh, crack a corporate whip to get you slackers rolling! Or something. I'd prolly just find all the old t-shirts, keychains, pins, pens, and desktop bobbleheads I know you guys have and steal them all for my desktop army of fun!

Question 3
Stories!!1!!!one!!1

Question 4
The extremely cool balance that allows Power Gamers (not me) and casual players (me!) to really enjoy the **** out of this game. Oh, and the combat system (Seriously, between those two things, I will never play another MMO that falls short of DDO's standards). Oh, and the wombats. Please keep the wombats.

ehcsztein
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

NO... EQ/diablo-II/WOW/Myst Online

Question 2

IF Dev and Design are the same staff than I'd meet with the leads within the work group and get feeling of current projects.

IF Dev and Design are NOT the same staff I'd meet with the head of Design to determine work "coming down the pipe" and then I'd meet with the leads in my workgroup to get a feeling of the current projects.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The flexibility within Character creation

Hakushi
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes (I cannot consider trying a game a few hours to be an MMO I played and Diablo 2 is not an MMO even if I played it for a long time)

Question 2

Hard to awnser this one because I don't really know the exact job of the head dev, but I would start by a discussion with the entire team with coffee and have a plesant time at introducing myself to the rest of the team, hiding very carefully the Head Dev for Dummies book behind me. :D

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The combat system.

Aranticus
01-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Question 1

Self-Sufficient, oh its two words.....

Question 2

its as close as DnD can get alive

Question 3

guild love, toned down stats (both mobs and PCs), mounts/pets (n they fight!)

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

no, ultima is

Question 2

separate the dev's job scope. if you are in LotRO, do LotRO. if your are in DDO, then DDO.

Question 3

people

Question 4

free content

answers in red

Claver
01-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, I've played Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Everquest II, Dark Age of Camelot, and Final Fantasy. I didn't really enjoy any of them and cancelled my subscription within a month or two of purchase for each game. DDO is what I was hoping to find in the other games. I've been playing DDO since launch and don't have plans to quit in the forseeable future.

Question 2

Challenge my team to take each quest and create 10 versions of it (3 for each difficulty level, plus solo if applicable). Each version must have slight differences such as trap locations, chest locations, minor monster placement adjustments, an occasional unexpected boss in an unexpected location (imagine the surprise if behind a broken casket was a mummy instead of a skeleton) and a chance for some unique loot specific to that version of the dungeon. One of the versions would be randomly selected without the party knowing which one at the start of the quest. I would think different quest versions with a few surprises would greatly enhance replayability. I acknowledge that programming a system for random trap generation and hall layout would be a ton of work; further more, I wouldn't want to trade randomness over quality design. On the otherhand, would it really be that much work to create 10 vesions of the same quest by just shifting a handful of monsters and traps around to maintain an element of surprise? And when I say shift, I only propose modest changes such as moving the two archers against the left wall the far corner of the right wall

Question 3

People, that seems to be the reason for multiplayer.

Question 4

Private instances. Ironically, a wide open wilderness leads to isolation while a private instance encourages the party to interact, cooperate and just joke around. People don't talk to me as we run pas one another on the streets of Stormreach; I get my sense of community inside the dungeons.

Bradik_Losdar
01-07-2008, 09:55 PM
1. No. Played the disaster they call 'Star Wars' Galaxies previously. Thank goodness DDO doesn't suffer from the same schizophrenic development process it went/is going through.

2. So many things...but here goes the most important (to me at least) - ask the powers that be for enough help (hire extra developers) to be able to split the development group into four sections that would work simultaneously on the following project(-see below-) just as soon as module 6 was done. Group One would work on finishing basic D&D core classes and races (druids, monks + gnomes, half-orcs). Group Two would finish basic core D&D equipment (spears and other polearms, flasks of oil, non-magical helmets, ropes, ordinary clothing (commoner, noble, etc). Group Three would be tasked with content addition - essentially nothing but new dungeons or adventure areas in and around Stormreach. Group Four would have the hardest and probably most spectacular job - generating the entire continent of Xen'drik into one huge open area to explore (the 'instant transport' system to an adventure area remains wholely intact, but for those wanting to explore the vast continent (or fight their way, to say, Tempest Spine) the entire landscape is open to them with potentially thousands of random encounters based on the tried and true 'every X minutes roll 1d6. On a 1 you encounter something'. Every terrain area of the continent would have an encounter table covering creatures logically found in those surroundings. With straight (not scaling) XP awards for encounters defeated - hard to camp a 'spawn point' when there isn't one - as encounters are based off time and totally random (it might be an encounter with some orcs (not so much xp) or perhaps a group of hill giants (more xp than the orcs) all depending on the encounter 'die roll'). To reduce lag, the beautiful 'multiple instance' system the city of Stormreach currently uses would be implemented for each 'section' the continent was split into. Thus allowing multiple parties to use the same area, possiblly stumbling across each other in the wilderness (perhaps one party coming across an individual who thought he could go the wilds alone and saving him from becoming lunch for a bunch of trolls. The possiblities are endless). Anywho...

All this would be published as the first paid expansion for DDO (I hate paying for expansions - but as many have said, it is a GREAT way to get the game noticed!) The expansion would definately be heavily advertised though all available media outlets (yes, even TV spots!).

Following this push to finish the 'core' of DDO, the teams would be reorganized to work on guild and player housing, crafting, and most importantly, you guessed it, more new dungeons and monsters (starting with all the missing ones from the Monster Manuals - Umber Hulk, Driads, Bullets, Giant Rats, Lizard Men, Medusa, etc, etc, etc)

3. Fun (far and above all others).

4. Grouping. It may be an unpopular position in this day and age, but playing with a group of people is the very core of Dungeons and Dragons. Without it, this game would not be D&D.

Pellegro
01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No, anarchy online was first

Question 2
Content - not just quests either. Feats, skill uses, items, etc. Oh, and hire more art folks.

Question 3
Mmm, fun. But fun for me is b/c of hte people and the quests, and the stories. But stories are definitely lower on list than people and quests.

Question 4
Active combat. Variety of builds, etc.

Mapa
01-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No. SWG for 2.5 years until the NGE, then dabbled in EQ2 and Eve Online; then watched my son play WoW in disgust.

Question 2

Gather the staff and put together a State of the Game and a realistic 1, 2 , and 5 year development plan. Then come on the forums and post the SoG and Development Plan and say this is what I would like to do but remind everyone that no plan escapes contact with the enemy intact. These are my goals but I can't promise on the exact timeline and changes are allowed to the outline with little to no prior notification. Sound familiar guys?

Question 3

The ink blot most resembling a Pink Floyd light show or a flying cow.

Question 4

The core combat system. No CU or NGE !!!

Thacos
01-08-2008, 07:02 AM
1. No - GuildWars 2. Put priority on new Classes/Races (Monk/Druid/Half-elf/Half-orc), and for new content - Black Anvil Forest Explorer Area lvl 8-12 (large forest/cave system) with Duergar, Owlbears, Gorgons, Basilisks, and Wyverns. 3. FUN 4. The Combat System

Gornin
01-08-2008, 08:00 AM
1) Yes

2) Listen

3) Fun (people and stories)

4) Pretty much everything except to be improved and added to. Stay as close to DnD as possible.

Lormyr
01-08-2008, 08:22 AM
1). No. I played Everquest many, many years ago, and Vanguard for a month early last year.

2). I would clear schedules to sit down all the other dev's, and request their reasoning for implementing the following things so I could see that if I knew what they know, if I then agreed agreed with their decisions: blanket immunities (they are ok for raid bosses, but shaows immune to firewall?), uninterruptable enemy spellcasting, the simply incredible attack bonuses on mobs, devoting resources and time to correcting issues that are not exploits but make player's gameplay easier (such as the shadow/firewall issue from Vol above) rather than coming back to such things at a later date after new content has been released to name a few.

3). Fun. If there isn't any, what would the point of the other's be?

4). The freedom and options of character creation.

moorewr
01-08-2008, 08:29 AM
#1 - No. I started with SillyMUD back in 1991, and I played (and hated) Everquest.

#2 - The way groups work/having to group to succeed.

#3 - fun is the obvious answer, but people make the fun

#4 - the Quest system -- I see more and more explorer-style content, and this is very much needed (and fun), but I hope that Turbine sticks by the normal quest system.. uniquely DDO...

liamfrancais
01-08-2008, 08:32 AM
1: Yes.

2: Have them all roll up a character and form groups with other no devs and go through quests for a week straight, then see what they think about the game.

3: Fun

4: The addition of new content and development of the game, in other words I hope they don't give up on it.

Rowanheal
01-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, I played Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies and Wow (gods it bored me to tears)

Question 2

Turn all of Stormreach PINK!!!! OK, seriously, I would want an explanation of the content roll out from my team. I can't fix what I don't know :)

Question 3
People!!!!!!

Question 4
Grouping. I play other games for solo play. I come to DDO to be with my friends and to make new ones :)

And since I was a slacker last week....

Question 1
Dedicated

Question 2
The group Dynamics available.

Question 3
1. Stormreach to be more PINK!!!
2. Druids...
3. Armor Dye so I can make everyone PINK!!! Seriously I want armor dye or something!

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Udar_Giantbane
01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
1. No, Co* was first, tried WoW EQII
2. Take a peek at what was in the pipeline and when :)
3. Fun
4. The custom dungeon design. I'm not fond of going into Office Tileset 1 and fighting skulls to the boss every time. Give me more puzzles.

TommyBoy
01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
no CoX, FFol, and SWG

Question 2
all dev would be required to have forum personallities and ingame personallities and require to play with random pug on an alt team to see how it really is and what people are thinking. One of the koolest things about CoX was that the head dev was on the forum alot and responded to people honestly. and all the devs played the game. I was told awhile back that the forum devs have nothing to do with the ingame gms/devs. If thats is still true it really should change.

Question 3
fun

Question 4
the combat system and the stat/feat/enhancement system that lets us tweek the hell out of our characters

Ustice
01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, I played Ultima Online years ago and then Final Fantasy XI Online.

Question 2

Meet with the team and see what the exact state of development is, every team-member's vision is for the game, and find their strengths. As for development decision, I would set a plan for 2 major updates and 1 paid expansion:

Age of the Artificer (very working title) (update)
Gnomes added as a playable race based on the halfling model.
Artificer added as a playable class, including infusions.
Crafting completed and based on the d20 rules, with no grinding.
All crafting feats added, with the possible exception of rods and staffs, as they are not really implemented in the game. This could be a possible addition though.
Crafting accomplished by using one of the labs set up throughout Stormreach (in some of the now-empty buildings).
Inside the lab there will be some device for making the different types of items.
Forge for Craft Arms and Armor
Jeweler's Table for Forge Ring
Writing Desk for Scribe Scroll
Arcane Lab for Craft Wondrous Item
Alchemist's Table for Brew Potion
Wand Table for Create Wand
Rod Table for Craft Rod (budget/time permitting)
Staff Table for Craft Staff (budget/time permitting)
Construct Chamber for Craft Construct

Requirements would be adjusted from d20 to fit with DDO
Monetary Cost would be increased by a factor of 10
Experience Cost would be in the form of Experience Debt which would work much like debt in the current death penalty system. The cost would be increased by a factor of 5, to reflect the increased XP progression in DDO.
The Time Requirement would be replaced by only allowing the use of an Item Creation Feat when all XP debt is paid off. This will encourage people to be active in questing, and the time that it takes to replace the XP will simulate the time it takes to make the item without large downtimes. Also, it allows for the instant-gratification in making the item and getting the result at the same time, while back-loading the wait time to the end of the process.

Construct Summoning gems are added to the game.
Players can summon Golems and other Constructs of their making by the use of the gem.
The gem takes damage based on the damage of the construct.
Constructs can be enhanced using the Craft Construct feat and the right resources.
All existing construct models are included with the exception of the Warforged, and Warforged Titan

Crafting Skills added to the game, including Alchemy. Skill level determines the quality of item as well as model style.
Quests added which highlight and show off Eberron's high magic environment. Could be as simple as escorting a caravan of clothes washing magical devices, or a ride on an Air Ship.
Maybe a raid which is exclusive to subscribers who purchased the expansion.
Full respec on skills and feats for all characters, since there are so many changes included.
Character model update to allow for morphable features so that future expansions/updates could add changes to the base model, and have it apply to all races/sexes. important

Into the Wild (very working title) (update)
Complete work on the Druid Class, and add it as a playable class.
Half-orc added as a playable race.
Half-elves added as a playable race.
Tracking feat added for used for finding creatures/people, and detecting ambushes. Use is based off Survival. Tracking could also be used to find quest objectives as to which way a target is.
Add quests and large wilderness areas highlighting the open spaces. Add some use for Tracking.
Survival Skill added to the game.
Rest shrines are removed from the game.
Instead of using a rest shrine, a character is able to set up camp.
When resting at camp, there is a chance of spawning monsters
More details here.

Realms of the Mind (very working title) (paid expansion)
(While this list looks small, it is a tall order, since there would need to be a ton[/I/ of Powers, Feats, and Abilities to create, not to mention the art elements.
All characters created and existing on this account are marked with a spark of psionics.
Kalashtar added as a playable race.
Half-Giant added as a playable race.
Maenads added as a playable race.
Xephs added as a playable race.
Psion added as a playable class.
Psychic Warrior added as a playable class.
Soulknife added as a playable class.
Wilder added as a playable class.
Autohypnosis added to available skills.
Psicraft added to available skills.
Use Psionic Device added to avaiable skills.
Addition of Psionic Feats.
Quests dealing with the Astral Plane. If you do not have a spark of psionics, you can't enter.
Some quests/areas that are open to anyone.

Other features could be added, but those listed above would be the priority. (See last week's Questions for other possibilities)

[I]Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The focus on fun over mechanics designed to artificially increase longevity.

VonBek
01-08-2008, 10:34 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, though I dabbled in an online shooter for a short while.

Question 2

Recruit Mystic? Seriously - I'd like to explore and implement more challenges based on something besides fighting from point A to B, or memorization "puzzles". Rather, I want to see challenges based on excitement supplementing combat. Non-lethal completions - (Just for example: Get a mob to run over a rune, and it's trapped in stasis success depends on "trapping" most or all the antagonists so they can be rescued, or freed from domination, etc...); Chase/Be Chased objectives (ie: sneak behind the mob over a n obstacle "course")..., if the party splits up, one side fights nothing but the interactive dialog runs off of AI and takes Inimidate, DDiplo, Haggle, seriously; silly elements from action/adventure movies. I don't currently get a sense these elements work into adventures.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

I like that it remains D&D - it must foster imagination, and feel identifiable and familiar to D&D players from all versions of the game. I'd rather it remain grounded in the ruleset(S) and fail, than become just another kind of video game.

Beherit_Baphomar
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes. Started a year ago and love it. Played LOTRo for a lil while :/

Question 2
Make everyones loot mine! Then I would do exactly what you're doing Tolero, ask the audience what they want to see in DDO, what they want to see changed about DDO.

Question 3
People.

Question 4
Hmmm. I dunno. I'll need to think about it.

Answers above...see above...in the box, the writing in red, thats the answers. To the questions.

GovtMule
01-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes. Since DDO, I have tried WoW, LotRO and GW. All were cancelled but DDO

Question 2

Set a high priority task for developing an open database similar to WoW's "The Armory!"

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The real-time combat

fefnir3284
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1. yes, wow is my 2nd

2. make the game more dnd like (crafting, housing, classes, races, etc, this will pull in more players)

3. stories (without a story your just a toon, and that is no fun)

4. mouse-lock mode (NEVER remove this, I love the agility it gives a character)

ccheath776
01-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Oops forgot to add one.

If they made me head dev. One of the other first things I would do would be to in-game mail me a +5 vorpal longsword.
:D Cant forget that part.

WestiesMA
01-08-2008, 11:52 AM
1. No.

2. Connect with my internal staff and customers, and external customers to determine what motivates them. Set realistic goals with motivating rewards for completing them and share them with internal and external customers.

3. People.

4. My friends.

Raelg14
01-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No, played SWG before this and that was my first MMO

Question 2
First brag to my buddies then change my email address so they can't complain

Question 3
People

Question 4
The Combat system

Shaamis
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Not really, Diablo 2 had to be mine, and i played it for 4-5 years, before going to NWN 1

Question 2

If I was in the organization prior to becoming lead dev, I would have an after business hours party, to kick off my administration, then let everyone know I'm still the same lovable guy, but will not hesitate to FIRE anyone for not doing what I say (j/k). Seriously, the party, then a meeting to evaluate what our customer base most wants to see in the game, and work on that ASAP. MONKSMONKSMONKS.

If I was new to the org, then a voluntary paid after hours meeting (or maybe a paid dinner ) to discuss what we need to do, and what we need to focus on. MONKSMONKSMONKS

Question 3

FUN. Winning can be fun. People can be fun. Stories can be fun, but all three of the other choices would be painful without FUN.

Question 4

Nothing is perfect, flaws or improvemants can be made to all facets of the game, but the combat system i smy most favorite part, and hope it never gets dumbed down to WoW levels.

Xaymaca
01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Nope, Asheron's Call

Question 2
Demand to be the new DM voice :D

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
Floating Inns and Maiming picks

Claver
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
2: I sure would love to make Firewall a bit less of a solve-all spell. I think what I would try first is making persistent, area-of-effect spells cause damage to the person who cast the spell if they are in the active radius. I wouldn't change them to cause damage to other players, because that would lead to griefing. .

This is a very interesting idea! I too have wanted to see splash damage as exists in PNP but have feared the griefing and how it might discourage the formation of PUGs. You have a good solution; one I'd like to see implemented

Ninety
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Question 2

Get the Forum Staff to Turn on Email notification when someone reports a post and or act on it when it happens... not a week later.

Claver
01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
2] That more stuff in DDO was breakable (i.e.: I want to be able to break down doors and smash chests that are locked {and not just a door here and a door there}. MORE BREAKABLE DOORS!)
[/B]

I would wish foe even more:

- Stain glass windows that can be shattered by a bard's song
- A passage through an ice wall that can be opened after several hits from a fireball
- Candles that can be snuffed out with the expert shot of an archer

TechNoFear
01-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No

Question 2

Before I have found the caffeine dispensor?
Or after I had sent the memo that we now follow the 'Klingon Software Development Model'? *

Design a system to randomise traps in any quest location. Then increase the traps damage by a factor of 10. Implement

Question 3

Fun.

Question 4

Playing with my RL friends. Hearing the excitement when we find something uber / defeat something hard / etc.

[*Klingon software is not released, it escapes leaving a trail of bloodied QAT and devs in it's wake]

Invalid_86
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
1. Nope, not my first MMO. Played SWG, LOTR, WoW, EQII, CoH, Lineage II, plus one or two more that I am probably forgetting. So far this have been my favorite.

2. Start drawing the game closer to it's DnD roots. Give more customization options to character appearance. Bump up gnomes, half orcs, and monks in the things to do cue. Ship in a batch of real Chicago style pizzas from Chicago to share with my new coworkers. Ginos East anyone? Work on my "Fools, I'll destroy you all!!!" routines.

3. Fun. It's why we play, but it's also probably the vaguest answer.

4. A combination of two things. The first is real, private dungeons with no spawn camping or endless travel times. The second is that the game is gear for you to play with other people- and that's the way DnD should be.

Mercules
01-09-2008, 08:17 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO

No I played EQ, EQ2, CoH, and a few other MMOs before this as well as years of MUD and MUSH play online. I even played the Darksun graphical mud thing they had come out with years back.

Question 2

Obviously familiarize myself with what has been done so far code wise and what was currently in production. I am not sure about what to do at this point. A good deal of people have an idea of what DDO needs based upon their own wants and I am not sure they are always correct. I know what I would want in a game, but there is a chance that is not what others would want and because of that I would move slowly on any sweeping changes until I believed I had a stronger grasp of what was desired.

Question 3

I don't know. Don't ever ask me for my favorite band/song/food as I don't have one various things wax and wane in importance to me all the time. I guess Fun as if I was to order them it would be 1. Fun 2. People 3. Stories 4. Winning

Question 4

Non-focus on PvP. Other than that things should remain open to change, there are just changes I believe to be worse than other options.

Master_of_None
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
1. Yes

2. Figure out a way to add more randomness to quests so they don't become wholly predictable.

3. Fun

4. Active combat

Drider
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No, but it is only the second MMO to catch my attention for more then a month or two.

Question 2

Try to win the lottery so that i could get the money needed for more game animations, so that i could add more fighting styles and more weapon capabilities.

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

The combat system, I'd rather see it move forward then backwards to the WoW/EQ type gameplay.

Vengenance
01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Yes, this is my first MMO experience. I have recently purchased LOTRO, which is fun but the combat system in DDO is far superior.

Question 2

Accurately describe the state of the game, define a complete vision for the game (Level xx and time frame), discuss marketing strats to increase server populations, and begin working on new content.

Question 3

Fun! followed closely by people, stories, and winning.

Question 4

The active combat system, until another MMO comes remotely close to the system developed by DDO I'll be here. Like I said, I have LOTRO, I play it once in awhile, but the combat system SUCKS. Hit a button and watch you guy fight isn't much fun. I also love the fact that each character is a little bit different, each stat point means something, do I min/max or do I make more of a balanced build. Character creation captures the essence of D&D. As much as I sometime complain about this game, I still love it!

Boulderun
01-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Question 1

Competent.

Question 2

Active combat.

Question 3

Three rings of fifty wishes! Okay, okay. More resources for DDO development. It's obvious there's just too much to do and not enough people to do it. I'll save the rest of the wishes for a rainy day.

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Nope. The Sierra Network probably qualifies as my first. Shadow of Yserbius was pretty awesome. The Four Seasons, now there was an epic quest. I flirted with UO in beta. Asheron's Call is the first I seriously played.

Question 2

Take a Muckdoom upside the head of everyone responsible for the Accursed Ascension raid.

Question 3

Stories. This is why AC is still my favorite MMO to date. It just hasn't been delivered here. Eberron is just lame, so you're starting at a disadvantage, but there's nothing like the books of history and lore you found everywhere in AC, and the less-and-less-frequent content updates wreck the sense of continuity and progress which made the Nexus-to-Hopeslayer arc so awesome.

Question 4

The ability for nearly any combination of (well-made) characters to tackle most content. Contrast directly with WoW/Molten Core, for example - 7 mages for Lucifron, 4 warlocks for... whoever it was that needed 4 warlocks, etc. Worst... Quest... Ever. (until Tomb of the Tormented)

Daerius of the Blessed Blades
01-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes

Question 2
Begin reviewing the request/change/QA process to capitalize on its strengths and address areas where in needs improvements. The goal would be to drive more effective updates that reflect the user community's desires.

Question 3
Fun

Question 4
The areas of the game that are based on the Core D&D rules. I'd be reluctant to change any of these unless it was PROVEN broken in the MMORPG worlds.

Sertrynus
01-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

No - Played Star Wars Galaxies, currently also play World of Warcraft, also tried various other MMOs

Question 2

Have each Dev come up with what they thought should be the direction of the game and once a unified direction has been decided communicate that direction to the playerbase, giving broad timeframes and requesting feedback from the playerbase.

Question 3

People - They make MMO's

Question 4

Real time Combat System

My response in red, thanks for requesting this info Tolero

Vardak
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Nope, Asheron's Calll was.

Question 2

Solo quests to level instead of simply talking to the trainer, something along the lines of the trainer island but more robust.

Question 3

Fun people and Fun stories ;)

Question 4

Availability

Nothing to read here, move along

~Zornochio
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Is this your first MMO?

Played City of Heroes for two years before this but I burnt out on that game just before DDO came out. I've played a few months of Vanguard, two days of LOTRO, and about an hour of SWG before quitting them. :)

I'd quit. There is no way I could deal with some of the angry players on this site in a professional manner :p

Fun, it's sort of an 'all of the above' answer here.

Multiclassing, I have to fight withmyself to make a pure-class character. It opens up so many different ways to play the game and keeps it interesting. Other MMO's get boring quick when the quest is the same for every character you run it with.

Didn't see the last one:
Permadeath

Affront
01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Answer 1: No, this is not my first MMO. (My first and only previous MMO experience was with Earth and Beyond.)

Answer 2: I would talk to all of my development team to get an understanding of what they think are the aspects of their job that hold them back from being an effective programmer and then try to fix those issues (or make sure that's what they spend their time doing ;)).

Answer 3: Fun [the people and the stories make the fun]

Answer 4: the fast paced "twitch" dependant combat engine

GlassCannon
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Answering Tolero's post only in this post.

Last week:

1) Erratic.(hard to pick. I like Excited and Hyperactive too)

2) Skill Based Combat with an RPG style character(and many choices on customization of said character).

3) Ring of Wishes
Make 1 character a God or Demigod(and allow complete respecs on skills, enhancements, feats, potentially change class if a new one was added, or change race if a new one was added, and base stats at whim, with a hefty cooldown... say... a week?). Caster type would get either quintuple SP or infinite SP, Melee type would acquire AoE attacks on every swing, Ranged type would acquire obscene speed/quad damage permanently, and AoE attacks(smaller than a ftr/barb/pal) on every swing. No vulnerabilities(Red Name Boss Ward). Strictly nuking character(melee or otherwise... just obscenely overpowered) for those days I just want to kill something.
Remove outlandish bid or buyout amounts from the auction house permanently via a rather low Plat Cap(I'd say 500k plat as the absolute cap for platinum on any character. Yes, I know that's very low for some people. We have a serious economy problem with the current cap as high as it is)
Save one for later.This week:

1) Unless Runescape counts(which I think it doesn't), yes.

2) Spend the day getting to know the team, then near the end of the day learning about everything we will be doing the following Module, and before I leave set a rigid schedule to maximize efficacy without damaging the employees potential(just enough work, not too much. I do, however, have a tendency to overwork myself with reckless abandon).

3) People(Stories pulls a very close second and Fun follows a semi-distant third)

4) The existence of the community.

Corvid7
01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Not for me!

Question 2

Get a cup of coffee. I would then meet everyone on the teams. I would try to get a detailed schedule of new content with backup plans.

Question 3

FUN! If games aren't fun, the other 3 words don't matter at ALL!

Question 4

I like the enhancement system. It is a good way to customize your characters (especially with the specializations). Really close to prestige classes.

gelgoog
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
question one.
no

question two.
make every race in the game except dragons and the like available for character creation. kobold,bugbears,hobgoblins,orcs,gnolls,ogres,skele tons,wraiths. all unlockable with your favor if need be. bah to balance, would be fun to be said races in ddo.

question three.
winning

question four.
the real time combat......but it could be tweaked a few times to perfect it though.

Stanley_Nicholas
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Question 1
Progress
Question 2
Tie: Based on D&D, AND My guild
Question 3
More frequent updates, guild bank, new classes

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
Yes
Question 2
Personally begin communicating with people on the forums, as I would be someone truly (or at least better) authorized to implement, change, and reveal plans for the future. Then keep up with that communication, and do it often.
Question 3
Fun
Question 4
The existence of a future for the game.
Responses in red.

Saaluta
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?
No, but it is now by 6 months the longest one I have played(been here since beta, played the other for 1 1/2 years) played a few for week trials, and most of those didn't last the week on my hard drive :)

Question 2

Hire people that have been banned for exploiting by giving them free game time with provisions, they would only have access to the Risia server, and they would have to find exploits to continue getting the free game time, so the exploits could be fixed before they went live.

Question 3

People

Question 4

The community spirit, people come and go, but the spirit generally stays the same.

Dark_Helmet
01-11-2008, 02:11 AM

Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

1) N/A I hate when it is called an MMO because I hate the way they work. I prefer to call it DDO!
2) Fire everyone and rehire based on what they contributed to a quality product; make a new server without the enhancements, overpowered creatures and everyone start from scratch so they don't have anything overpowering yet or an unreasonable auction house; get rid of plat sellers by restricting E-Mail and tells by consolidating the outputs into a log cruncher to look for exact duplicate tells/ E-Mails (not very hard you know); be forthright about bugs / exploits by saying anyone doing xxx will get banned since it is being monitored.
3) Fun
4) That it is D&D ONLINE and not just another MMO. They already started losing it with the point system and PvP... now crafting so people will "farm"? Come on now!

DaveyCrockett
01-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Question 1
Is this your first MMO?

Nope

Question 2

Answer DaveyCrockett's question about Teleport/Greater Teleport

Question 3

Fun

Question 4

Live Servers

Tolero
01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks to all who participated this week! I'll have the next one available come Monday!

If you missed out this week, I will include this week's questions along with the next batch. Thanks all!