PDA

View Full Version : New Guy and his Pally questions

IgorUnchained
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello all!

I started playing this game months ago and then gave it a rest for a long time. I am now
back in the saddle and was going to play my old character (that I got my Drow with)

I dont know much about the game, but I knew even less back then.
He is a 5 Pally with 1 Cleric......how do I make the most of him from here on out?

My toon's STR is 18, his Con is 16 and his Wisdom is 16.

What do UMD and DPS stand for (I know what UMD does finally).

What do you have to do before you get 32 point builds?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Geonis
01-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello all!

I started playing this game months ago and then gave it a rest for a long time. I am now
back in the saddle and was going to play my old character (that I got my Drow with)

He is a 5 Pally with 1 Cleric......how do I make the most of him from here on out?

Can you post your Feats as well?

This will let people get a better idea of where you should go from here.

captain1z
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Hello all!

Well to start 5 pally/ 1 cleric gives you access to DVs and the nightshield spell (most useful)

your stats are very nice but you also want a good charisma... 16 or better if you can.

The strong point of a paladin is his ability to survive and start the process of recovery from a near party wipe.

As a paladin when things go wrong for the party, its likely that you have made all your saves and are in a good position to heal and raise people.
Your DVs will recharge depleted casters/bards.

Your not gunna do barb or fighter damage but you will be the anchor of the parties defense.. providing bonuses to AC, saves and some back up healing. you are the first line of defense between the mobs and your casters.............you should also be the onedrawing aggro from anything that casts spells and drawing all his spells and area effects toward you and away from the party (you can save the party a lot of pain this way)

be selfless and sacraficial but not suicidal.

I dont think there is any point to taking anymore cleric levels.

Geonis is very reliable as far as build advice goes ............... post your feats for him and keep an open mind to the possibility of a feat re-spec..........dragon shards are not hard to come by.

UMD = Use Magical Device = you said you know what it does so I wont explain. pointless without good charisma.

DPS = Damage Per Second = get a timer and set it for 10 secs and go kill some kobolds and record the damage from you combat log
- do this 10 times and add all damage together and divide it by 100

this is the average damage you are capable of per second.

- its lower vs undead and high DR creatures
- as enemy AC goes up DPS goes down but its still a good measure overall of how you compare to the fighter standing next to you
- if you do this several times with different weapons in hand you will get an idea of which weapon is best for you.

- I dont think you can accurately measure ranged this way.

IgorUnchained
01-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Well to start 5 pally/ 1 cleric gives you access to DVs and the nightshield spell (most useful)

your stats are very nice but you also want a good charisma... 16 or better if you can.

The strong point of a paladin is his ability to survive and start the process of recovery from a near party wipe.

As a paladin when things go wrong for the party, its likely that you have made all your saves and are in a good position to heal and raise people.
Your DVs will recharge depleted casters/bards.

Your not gunna do barb or fighter damage but you will be the anchor of the parties defense.. providing bonuses to AC, saves and some back up healing. you are the first line of defense between the mobs and your casters.............you should also be the onedrawing aggro from anything that casts spells and drawing all his spells and area effects toward you and away from the party (you can save the party a lot of pain this way)

be selfless and sacraficial but not suicidal.

I dont think there is any point to taking anymore cleric levels.

Geonis is very reliable as far as build advice goes ............... post your feats for him and keep an open mind to the possibility of a feat re-spec..........dragon shards are not hard to come by.

UMD = Use Magical Device = you said you know what it does so I wont explain. pointless without good charisma.

DPS = Damage Per Second = get a timer and set it for 10 secs and go kill some kobolds and record the damage from you combat log
- do this 10 times and add all damage together and divide it by 100

this is the average damage you are capable of per second.

- its lower vs undead and high DR creatures
- as enemy AC goes up DPS goes down but its still a good measure overall of how you compare to the fighter standing next to you
- if you do this several times with different weapons in hand you will get an idea of which weapon is best for you.

- I dont think you can accurately measure ranged this way.

Thanks alot to you and Geonis for responding! I have looked over all of my info and have decided to put that toon into semi-retirement.
Even after redoing feats he was too flawed to be very effective. On the bright side, you answered all of my questions wonderfully, and it isnt an
exaggeration to say that I learned more from that post than all my time of trial and error with a Pally....saved alot of load screens and frustration as well. Thanks again.

~Jules921
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
When building any character I put them through the what-if machine know as Rob's character planner. It is priceless for planning out mulit-classed characters or any character for that matter - what will more con give you, how many spells point will you get for more charisma? http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

Jules

seldarin
01-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Two keys to any character, what do you want it to be able to do and do you enjoy it. A pally with low charisma isnt necessarily a candidate for the scrap heap, just means that you have restrictions. Low charisma however will affect your UMD skill. So too would not having it at all. From what i know, charisma affects your Smite and Lay On Hands, i could be wrong in this. I for one would continue down the path of cleric levels. You have decent strength, con and wisdom as a basis. With enhancements and items your wisdom can be boosted. If you have DV, with the changes to charisma mods in recent release this will add to your effectiveness too. IF you took remaining lvls of cleric by the time you hit lvl 14 you would be 5/9 pally cleric, you would have Raise Dead spell and wouldnt need to worry about UMD for it. Plus additional healing capacity, this coupled with ok saves and decent fighting capability could make for a handy all round character. There is a lot you could do with the basis you have for that character, i wouldnt scrap it, i would keep going with it and flesh it out.

Just my opinion for what its worth.