PDA

View Full Version : Player Made Stores

shoebox747
01-03-2008, 06:01 AM
I was going though my bank had alot of great stuff that all my chars had or dont need and was relli bored. So i thought of an idea for a store that a player could open where people can view his merchendise and stuff. i mean we have the ah but i just thought it might be this kind of fun idea to sell stuff. the difference from this to ah is you keep all your money but you could of sold the item at a much much higher price so i think it would balance out a bit.

MysticTheurge
01-03-2008, 07:36 AM
While I like the idea, I'd generally assume that any system they implemented like this would be pretty much the same in terms of fees as the auction house is, so it does seem like it'd be a little bit redundant.

That said, it could certainly be fun (for some people) and so in that sense, it may be worth doing after all.

GlassCannon
01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
While I like the idea, I'd generally assume that any system they implemented like this would be pretty much the same in terms of fees as the auction house is, so it does seem like it'd be a little bit redundant.

That said, it could certainly be fun (for some people) and so in that sense, it may be worth doing after all.

MapleStory has one such setup, and it is accessible from all servers and all worlds(er... except deep dungeon areas). It's called "Free Market".

Their player base is comprised of 80% children(18 and under) and 20% older people(21+, generally more around the 30's area) with nothing left to do in life, or no real goals. The marketplace thrives during peak times when the population crests 3 million(did I mention million? Maybe I mentioned million) players online simultaneously. It's a cartoon-type sidescroller, very low latency, minimal process strain.

MapleStory is a free game that makes $ on cosmetic upgrades to characters that last 3 months. They also make money on licenses in the marketplace for "player shops" where they can set their own prices. Mind, even on uber-rare items, if your price is insane, it will sit there for a very very long time, and you will be called an idiot at least once every 30 minutes because of it. Check it out if you like, the accounts are free to start and free to play. The place in question is called the "Cash Shop."

Of course... though it's a cool concept, the only place I can see players setting up shop is in the Marketplace Tent and there isn't much room in there. Of course you could have an avatar that teleports you to something similar to the Portable Hole, where players can set up shops. Rent for the space should be a Premium Service(yes, set charge per month or week whatever) to keep silly people to an absolute minimum(i.e."Masterwork Daggers, come get 'em, only 1,000,000,000,000 PP each!!!"). There also needs to be a reduction in the Plat Cap, to discourage farming.

Raithe
01-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Being able to go to a specified location inside the game world and have a reason to interact with someone would be a huge improvement to the game.

So, yes, I think its a good idea.

frederjoe1
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Are we talking about something like a consignment shop? If so I would like to see a place where the max price would be the base value of the weapon, would probably kill the brokers, but the idea could work out if the prices had caps otherwise it would just turn into another overpriced auction house.

BlueLightBandit
01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Basically, you'd rent a vendor. That vendor would stay in the same space, and you'd have to pay a fee for the time he sold your goods, and he'd get to keep a percentage of the profits... except... you could do the same thing without the rental fee... in the auction house.

So never mind... it's already in the game.