PDA

View Full Version : Alignments

Corvid7
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
What do people think about being able to change alignment?
One part of PnP DND I loved was playing alignment and having that be slightly flexible. I don't have any suggestions on how to make this possible (like through quests or dragonshards), but think it might be neat.
Imagine a Barbarian/Paladin would be interesting... Or if you found an awesome Stability robe for your chaotic sorcerer...
Thoughts?

WeaselKing
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I think that this would be okay and not game breaking. There would be have to be significant penalties for Pallys that changed (no more divine powers for you buddy) and perhaps bards as well. Beyond that it would seem to be a good idea. I don't know if you can respec feats in pnp (guessing thats up to your dm) but I am sure that alignment changes are possible and in fact mandatory in some situations in pnp. So it would seem logical to have alignment changes available in DDO.

Corvid7
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't effect too much. Obviously, Paladins would lose some abilities. I don't know if Barbarians lose stuff if they are no longer chaotic. Monks (gods willing) would also lose things becoming non-lawful. Just a thought. Maybe something this eldrich magic can do for us.

Borrigain
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
What would be cool is alignment shifts due to actions in-game.

For examples,

Breaking things is a "chaotic" trait. Paladins be forewarned, get someone else to smash barrels.

Not breaking, "lawful".

Giving raid items away is "good". Not killing everything, ie "cunning bonuses", "good".

Mobs killed due to "misfortune" (dragging them thru traps), delightfully "evil" :D, shift toward neutral.

The way you answer NPC dialogue might shift things.

Now before someone says, "you can't do that", understand, I'm just fishing as I type.

I'm sure you can think of many more.

Kind of would add a "responsibility for your actions" element to the game.

And yes, /signed on the dragonshard/pennance of silver flame type thing to get your alignment back if it shifts too far.

Interesting idea,
Borr.

Invalid_86
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I guess the first step would have to be getting alignments to do something other than determine what class or magic items you can use.

Falco_Easts
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM

For examples,

Breaking things is a "chaotic" trait. Paladins be forewarned, get someone else to smash barrels.

Not breaking, "lawful".

Giving raid items away is "good". Not killing everything, ie "cunning bonuses", "good".

Mobs killed due to "misfortune" (dragging them thru traps), delightfully "evil" :D, shift toward neutral.

Now before someone says, "you can't do that", understand, I'm just fishing as I type.

And yes, /signed on the dragonshard/pennance of silver flame type thing to get your alignment back if it shifts too far.

Interesting idea,
Borr.

I like these type of ideas and have suggested similar when the topic ahs come up before. Would rather see alignment shift through gameplay then a click of a button.

Brutous
01-02-2008, 07:26 PM

For examples,

Not breaking, "lawful".

Interesting idea,
Borr.

What of my fighter Brutous's actions with the Tavern Wenches?

Hafeal
01-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with Borrigan, gameplay shifts due to actions would be more appropriate. As a priority though I think it will take a backseat to content and other gameplay mechanics. It would probably involve some work with how skills like diplomacy work. You would have to revamp quest outcomes to accomplish alignment objectives.

So, I like the ideas but I believe it would be a very serious undertaking with some serious fudgefactors. You do not want people having alignment slips due to a handful of actions. Given the time people put into to collect certain alignment based equipment, it would make people very unhappy.

Besides which, human nature (or elf, drow, halfling, warforged or drow) can sometimes result in actions which are not always consistent.

For examples,

Not breaking, "lawful".

Interesting idea,
Borr.