PDA

View Full Version : Quest storyline suggestion

Hafeal
12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I like the quest story lines in DDO for the most part and I think they are generally underappreciated. I would like them more if they could be improved. The quest compendium summaries are nice - but they do not encompass the dialogue from the quest givers. The problem, ultimately, is the game dynamic. When you join a group, generally, it is "rush, rush" get to where you are going, pick up the quest - by clicking as fast as possible, and jumping in the quest.

My idea would be to "divide out" the quest story line from the actual "entry" into the quest. For example, click on the "quest giver" and a box pops up to either "speak to the quest giver" or to "enter quest". I think this would help a variety of players:

1) For casual gamers or story content lovers, or roleplayers you could go back and read the story, on your own time and at your pace, without hurrying to meet your group. Also, they could go back and read the dialogue at any time (even after quest) to get a flavor for the story without having to "pick-up" the quest. I would add that you could "click" pen the story and it appears in a larger box that allows you to read more than 3-4 lines at a time;

2) For the power gamers and/or players who do not care about the story-lines, they can go straight to the quest entry screen without having to click, click click through the story line;

3) Age. I think we forget that there is quite the range of players who play DDO and from younger player 9-10 to 60+ , there is different reading and comprehension levels. This system would benefit this age group and allow them to enjoy a part of DDO that I think is glossed over far too much.

Is this a major issue? No. I think it is an "enjoyability" issue that would spread cheer to many different types of players. Yes, there will be segment of players who "never read" the stroy-lines. That is ok. People play the games for many reasons (loot, friendship, explorer, skill etc ...) and I think by dividing out the story line into a separate dialogue box it creates a small efficiency for all players based upon their interests.

I am sure I am missing something in my request, or failed to think of something, so 2cps from anyone else?

Tharlak
12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I really like this idea. I'm a new DDO player and have missed some of the quest stories and have found no way to review the original text. I look in the quest log, but it is scarce on the story elements. I believe this would be a great addition.

sirgog
12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I support this idea.

Not an urgent change, but it'd be a welcome one.

Hafeal
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Happy New Year!