PDA

View Full Version : Spammers of plat & items

F'lar_Mnementh
12-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Many of us are frustrated by the continuing spam of plat & items in mail and in tells. The biggest problem being (IMO) that, as soon as Turbine stops one, another pops up with a slight variation on the previous name and the spamming continues... :mad:
The organization of these spammers suggests that they are being run as a business, and as such, there is a very good chance that they are using dedicated IP's to conduct business.
My idea is this: Ban the specific IP addresses that the spammers are using to access DDO. Having a network team that has the saavy to maintain and operate a SAN means that tracking IP's would be child's-play and is probably a utility available in the network OS.
This may not eliminate all of the spamming, but, it could take a big chunk out of what we are dealing with now :o

Cireeric
12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Just ignore them and move on. I am sure that Turbine is doing what they feel is needed to deal with the people.

F'lar_Mnementh
12-28-2007, 03:42 PM
For a long while I did just ignore all the spamming (however, at times, I ran my chars anonymous to rid myself of all the tell spams).
Point is this, though; if there is a viable way to stop the spammers, then to just ignore the problem will accomplish...nothing.

atkbeast
12-28-2007, 10:58 PM
It has become a regular routine to walk up to the harbot mailbox and see a toon with random letters in their name standing there. And except for a rare high level, it is always a level 1. Maybe one way to at least reduce the mail spam would be to put a cap on the number of emails that a lowbie can send during a given period of time. It wont stop the spam, but it will make the plat farmers have to spend more time to get the same coverage.

brool
01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
alternitivly, you could just give us the option to

recieve mail from anyone
recieve mail from friends and ddo

;) That in itself would cut it out.

Mad_Bombardier
01-15-2008, 10:50 AM
alternitivly, you could just give us the option to

recieve mail from anyone
recieve mail from friends and ddo

;) That in itself would cut it out.We are getting Confirmed and Unconfirmed mailboxes in Mod6. It will be exactly as you described in your request. :)

Sparker
01-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Ham...

We are getting Confirmed and Unconfirmed mailboxes in Mod6. It will be exactly as you described in your request. :)

McMullen
01-16-2008, 01:06 PM
My suggestion is to scan mail and chat for the common sites that contribute to the problem.

Simply look for items like 'mmobay.com' or 'anzsale.com' and flag that account. If you see more than 5 sent messages with that information then temporily suspend the account (first offense = 1 day ban, second = 1 week, third = permanent).

With this type of scanning you would drastically reduce the amount of 'spam reports' you would have to deal with (at most 3 events where a total of 15 improper messages get sent).

I suggested this to two different in-game representatives but they were unable/unwilling to suggest it to your development staff. It is unfortunate you have this divide between support and development and does not bode well for the longevity of the game. The notion that I as a customer (outsider) has to resort to spending my time to relay information between your separate departments is absolutly absurd, but I'm sure that should be addressed in a separate thread.

Thanks

Sparker
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
It would be nearly impossible for GMs to relay every players suggestion(s) or feedback about quests, items, in-game mechanics etc to the devs as it would take quite a bit of time to document and forward each and every one of these to the developers. That is one of the reasons the forums exist - most notably the DDO Development Discussion forum located here: http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

I suggested this to two different in-game representatives but they were unable/unwilling to suggest it to your development staff. It is unfortunate you have this divide between support and development and does not bode well for the longevity of the game. The notion that I as a customer (outsider) has to resort to spending my time to relay information between your separate departments is absolutly absurd, but I'm sure that should be addressed in a separate thread.

Thanks

McMullen
01-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Not surprisingly I would disagree. The mechanism is already in place as every in-game issue is already tracked by a ticket that includes all the information that describes the information and how to recreate. The simple addition of potential solutions (or recomendations) provided by either customer support (internal) or customers (external) would be an advantage in determining priorities related to bug fixes and game enchancements. Not every game issue would require advancement along this process. The thread states an issue with spam from plat farmers, and clearly not every report of spam would yield a solution to the problem. To simply underestimate the ability of in-game customer service representitives to collect and forward common problems is scary. They are one of the best resources of information since they deal day-to-day with many of the same issues.

Sometimes an in-game GM cannot resolve an issue for a player and it may be refered to a senior GM.

I would like to see the ability for a solution presented to a in-game customer service representative to be flaged/forwarded/evaluated or else how will the game improve. To simply state the left-hand cannot talk to the right-hand because it is 'nearly impossible' sounds like an attempt to close an issue rather than looking for a solution solve it.

In order to keep some thread specific content, what do you think of the idea of scanning mail and chat messages for specific keywords. Is it possible? It seems simpler than implementing a dual system with confirmed/unconfirmed mail (unconfirmed which still needs to be monitored and stored). It also addresses random chat messages to paying customers.

It would be nearly impossible for GMs to relay every players suggestion(s) or feedback about quests, items, in-game mechanics etc to the devs as it would take quite a bit of time to document and forward each and every one of these to the developers. That is one of the reasons the forums exist - most notably the DDO Development Discussion forum located here: http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

tc12
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Having a network team that has the saavy to maintain and operate a SAN means that tracking IP's would be child's-play ...

Given recent outages of SAN hardware I'm not sure we really can credit them with that saavy. :)