PDA

View Full Version : Please make it useful to learn to meneuver and dodge traps in the game!

Kromize
12-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I swear at your god, every frickin time I maneuver and dodge a trap, it still hits me. Why make it so that it looks like you can dodge a trap by jumping, or going when the trap hasn't gone yet, when you cant? With the frikin laggy servers, it's impossible. IDK why, but even if I go when the traps are inactive, I can still get hit by them. If I'm 3 feet away from a spike trap, I get hit by it. Yet sometimes, in ur laggy game, when you run through a flame trap that is blazin, you DON'T get hit by it...***?! Why are the servers so laggy!? Why are the traps so buggy, and out of syn with their locations and where the damage actually occurs, and at the time for the damage too? Why why why?!

Please answer!

{Edit}
Sorry, I may have been a little ****ed off from being hit by a spinning blade trap in Gwylans(I was about feet away that time), but still, c'mon. Why make your traps so buggy?! Fix it plz. Seriously. It ruins the game when you can't just learn to dodge traps.

Laith
12-28-2007, 01:58 PM
for one, i experience very little lag in DDO, especially inside of dungeons. perhaps the issue is on your side, and you could do somethine to lessen the problem. possibly related to this, i find it quite possible to time and dodge my way through many traps in the game.

VoN3 & VoN4 force/lightning traps, Necrop pre-raid trap, TR7 spinning blades, the list goes on and on: most traps are possible to avoid.

I will agree that many times the area of the graphic is smaller than the area of the effect, but this is something you can learn too. This is the case for more than just traps though. Blade Barrier, for instance, applies it's damage slightly outside of the actual graphical boundries from my experience.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-28-2007, 01:59 PM
As you suggest, lag issues can cause erroneous hits because you and the DDO servers think you and the traps are slighly in different positions but you absolutely can dodge around and jump over traps, I do it and see others doing it all the time.

KoboldKiller
12-28-2007, 02:15 PM
If you really want to fix this issue bring a rogue along. :D

Feithalas 8th Rogue
Fingalf 1 Rogue/2 Ranger

WeaselKing
12-28-2007, 02:24 PM
I tend to observe the trap cycle and then start going through just before the trap animation disappears. It seems to me that the animation lags slightly behind the damage box (or however that works), though the sound is usually closer if there is one. Maybe this is just a result of my particular connection but running into the last second of fire results in less damage for me (on average) than running through the moment it disappears. Hope this helpful. :)

Hendrik
12-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Feithalas 8th Rogue
Fingalf 1 Rogue/2 Ranger

What and wait for 2-3 seconds?!?!?!?

You jest!

:p

KoboldKiller
12-28-2007, 02:33 PM

You jest!

Oh ya, what was I thinking. /slaps forehead

Kromize
12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
still ,really, the lag from me and DDO is bad enough that I had to wait for the trap to begin to run through unharmed.... It's probably my defective processor causing all the lag, and it is extremely annoying. I sure wish I could get a new computer....~_~ ( but DDO servers are still laggy)

Hendrik
12-28-2007, 03:32 PM
still ,really, the lag from me and DDO is bad enough that I had to wait for the trap to begin to run through unharmed.... It's probably my defective processor causing all the lag, and it is extremely annoying. I sure wish I could get a new computer....~_~ ( but DDO servers are still laggy)

Whats the specs on your box?

GuitarHero
12-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Feithalas 8th Rogue
Fingalf 1 Rogue/2 Ranger

you mean Loccke? Bah, he just sits around waiting on raid timers to expire! I didn't know he could disable a trap!! (except that ONE time!)

oronisi
12-28-2007, 05:16 PM

You jest!

While you can poke fun at people running through traps instead of disarming them, the OP has a valid point. In a game where you are supposed to be relying on visual collision detections, traps, some spells, and npc's don't have to follow the same visual collision detection that we do. We have spells like blade barrier who's actual radius is slightly larger than the visual radius...why can't they match? Or better yet, why can't they be the same? Same goes for many traps and npc attacks. They either don't match visually to the behind the scenes collision in size, location, or timing, or they simply cheat.

There isn't much reason for this. If a trap isn't big enough to cause problems, increase the graphics. If the graphical representation is adequate, shrink the behind-the-scenes invisible layer to match.

zyp
12-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Agree that this is a problem. I specifically avoid certain quests when I'm playing on my laptop because they simply require a lag-free environment to avoid major frustrations. When I'm playing on a big box with plenty of juice, it's a different story. I don't really know of any solution other than recommending a hardware upgrade. The game engine seems to handle the random world of schitzy internet connections and lagging packet traffic pretty well considering what it's up against.

Invalid_86
12-29-2007, 01:42 PM
My character has a 30 dex. I don't. Why should he be penalized by my slower reaction speed?

Mercules
12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
My character has a 30 dex. I don't. Why should he be penalized by my slower reaction speed?

Because apparently his Wis is 6 since he didn't bring someone who could disarm the trap.:p

KoboldKiller
12-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Because apparently his Wis is 6 since he didn't bring someone who could disarm the trap.:p

LMAO :D

Mercules
12-31-2007, 09:39 AM

Good luck on the new computer that might help out.

I don't find the Servers all that laggy but I will admit there is a sync issue with hit-boxes and what we see on our end. DDO handles this very well for such an active environment, but there are still limitations because of the latency caused by us all being remote.

llevenbaxx
12-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Personnally I dont like the idea of the traps being so simply bypassed. They are supposed to actually make quests more difficult, not simply give an option for bonus xp. I can only blame server lag for maybe 2-3 multi hit trap deaths since launch and my comp is pretty ancient.

Traps are pretty pathetic in the actual amount of danger they provide, I think they should be a difficult obstacle to navigate w/o a rogue. Currently all but maybe a handful are jokingly non-factors... lag aside.

Invalid_86
12-31-2007, 10:50 PM

...or the rogue got killed and we are on the way to the shrine. Or there are no rogues on at the time. Or the one that signed up is a moron. Or the trap box blew up on us. Things happen, and there is no way I am as good at dodging as my evading Ranger. The point is still valid.