PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Help Please

Cupcake
12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
I received a new graphics card today thanks to a dear friend.

So, how do I disable the onboard? graphics card from the mother board?

Like I know what I am talking about.

StanC
12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
When you start up the computer it should come up with an option to enter the BIOS settings. This can vary from computer to computer. May be the Delete Key or the or F8. This should put you in the BIOS and then will have to navigate around to the video options and one of those should be to turn off the On board video. Just be careful what you change. Also if does not work most have an option to restore to default settings. Just be carefull what you change.

Cupcake
12-24-2007, 01:46 PM
When you start up the computer it should come up with an option to enter the BIOS settings. This can vary from computer to computer. May be the Delete Key or the or F8. This should put you in the BIOS and then will have to navigate around to the video options and one of those should be to turn off the On board video. Just be careful what you change. Also if does not work most have an option to restore to default settings. Just be carefull what you change.

Yup yup.

Thanks again, Stan.

StanC
12-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Hope that works for you.

Andora
12-24-2007, 02:15 PM
You will be stunned with all the visuals, like you are playing the game for the first time. I would advise you to watch for two things on your computer, OK three, 1. heat - new video cards can generate a good deal of heat and heat will kill your computer, stock cases will often come with just one fan in a small case, easy fix take off the sides when playing. 2. make sure your power supply is up to the task, other wise it will be like trying to cream cold butter with a cheap mixer. 3. If going from an on board you best leave the settings to 16 bit color not 32 bit. Anyway enjoy your brand new DDO! :D

Missing_Minds
12-24-2007, 10:39 PM
You will be stunned with all the visuals, like you are playing the game for the first time. I would advise you to watch for two things on your computer, OK three, 1. heat - new video cards can generate a good deal of heat and heat will kill your computer, stock cases will often come with just one fan in a small case, easy fix take off the sides when playing. 2. make sure your power supply is up to the task, other wise it will be like trying to cream cold butter with a cheap mixer. 3. If going from an on board you best leave the settings to 16 bit color not 32 bit. Anyway enjoy your brand new DDO! :D

*chuckles* she won't have any of those issues to worry about.

She's just going from motherboard onboard gpu to a 5700. It is a performance increase, but by no means something huge. :)

StanC
12-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Did you ever get the new video card working Cuppy ?

Missing_Minds
12-25-2007, 12:35 PM
She was using it last night. Apparently she can run through WoF without lagging now. still not certain what the optimal settings for the new card would be.

StanC
12-25-2007, 06:23 PM
That is good to hear.
Got the most improvement in performance when I went from 1 gig to 3 gigs of memory.
Also my pc doesnt drag anymore when I first close down DDO.