PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely DEADLY traps!

GlassCannon
12-24-2007, 03:31 AM
I want to see some quest revamps on traps. Certain skills can bypass them, like using Diplomacy on a kobold, then the kobold disabling the trap for you via some hidden button on the wall...

Hallways like in Bounty Hunter that are simply laden with traps(but some that are just so wicked cool that you can't help but say "wow" despite the fact the 900 HP tank just died in less than a second)... or singular traps with semi-intelligent(emulated) firing mechanisms(just give them a 'do you see them' <ifyes then nuke1> <ifno then standby> line of sight check so they don't nuke the wall steadily...) that aim at the player characters. Also, I would like to see some spells begin to work on trap mechanisms as though they were real things that were potentially tamperable or destructible. This is something that had I been in charge would already be part of things. A well placed dagger can stop trap mechanics(for that ranger that doesn't want a splash of rogue), but can't totally disable the trap(so a rogue is preferred over a zealous ranger), or accidently makes things worse(bigger, harder explodeybooms, set on a 1/0 toggle, randomly assigned at the beginning of the instance).

I want to see some logs! I want some falling trees! I want some giant bones tied to things that come out of nowhere for a one-shot trap to absolutely devastate whoever they hit(not just damage, but one heck of a reeling knockback)!

I want some death and mayhem! I also want Rogues to be able to set traps. For now you can use spell constant mechanics(fire trap, warding spells) but later on they should be their own thing. Their Disable Device would become the Difficulty Check to save out of said trap. Like I said... Deadly. Allow them in the Brawl for even more fun.

Aesop
12-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Glass did you see my suggestion for a modificatio nto Way of the Mechanic?

I suggested making it a 2 minute cooldown that set a trap (sorta like a Clerics Glyph of Warding) that does the Rogues Sneak Attack Damage with a reflex save equal to half the Rogues Disable Device Skill (at the time of setting the trap). An advanced version (WotM II) might be AoE or Repeating.

I thought that might be a fun way to implement Trap Setting for the Trap Monkey Rogue

Aesop

Twerpp
12-24-2007, 04:11 AM
Hell yeah how awesome would it be if next time you log in and do WW the first acid trap causes a massive acid explosion and does 1,350 hp of damage? It would be funny just cause it would shock the hell out of you.

Staedtler
12-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Hell yeah how awesome would it be if next time you log in and do WW the first acid trap causes a massive acid explosion and does 1,350 hp of damage? It would be funny just cause it would shock the hell out of you.

I make my evasion save.

Cheque please.

redoubt
12-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Rogue makes a success disable roll, then re-sets the trap behind him and tells his party the "new" way to bypass the trap. Then his buddies pull some mosters into this now revised traps and watch the mobs get skewered on their own device! :D

Jay203
12-24-2007, 08:00 PM
well, trap-setting is definetely something rogues would have a TON of fun with
although it's kind of hard to take the trap since they're all imbedded in the surrounding. So unless they re-do the trap system, or chances are we will never see the trap-setting in the game
(why set the trap exactly where you disabled it in the first place? we want to be able to set them in choke-points, right?)

ArkoHighStar
12-24-2007, 09:02 PM
well, trap-setting is definetely something rogues would have a TON of fun with
although it's kind of hard to take the trap since they're all imbedded in the surrounding. So unless they re-do the trap system, or chances are we will never see the trap-setting in the game
(why set the trap exactly where you disabled it in the first place? we want to be able to set them in choke-points, right?)

funny thing is casters and clerics can set traps they are called symbol spells and they work just fine

Aesop
12-24-2007, 09:03 PM
funny thing is casters and clerics can set traps they are called symbol spells and they work just fine

Hence my suggestion in post #2.

for a full list of my suggestions check out The Dog House Thread

Aesop

GlassCannon
12-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Glass did you see my suggestion for a modificatio nto Way of the Mechanic?

I suggested making it a 2 minute cooldown that set a trap (sorta like a Clerics Glyph of Warding) that does the Rogues Sneak Attack Damage with a reflex save equal to half the Rogues Disable Device Skill (at the time of setting the trap). An advanced version (WotM II) might be AoE or Repeating.

I thought that might be a fun way to implement Trap Setting for the Trap Monkey Rogue

Aesop

Nah, a goodie for all rogues, but most non mechanics would only get basic goodies like Minor traps, while Mechanics could take a feat and set some really potent ones up at half the speed. 2 minutes would be a bit lengthy, unless you grab 2 trapsetters and use them as the main killing machines. Maybe a 1 minute cooldown and a 20 second trapset timer(not interruptible by damage). I'm thinking a trapmonkey sneaks ahead, deep into the enemy dungeon and while the monsters are patrolling around, sets up some extremely nasty quite well hidden traps, all set to a master on/off switch. Before he/she's finished with the lengthy 8 minutes of trapsetting the monsters suspect something and call a few reinforcements in to help look around(but never spot the rogue)... then the rogue throws the switch and the traps go haywire. Dungeon-wide alarms go off and all monsters are called to that room only to die horribly(as each wave is killed and the next doesn't get the information about the traps being there, they die in groups...). This of course would require a more realistic AI(almost sentient).

AoE traps should be allowed for all rogue classes(splash traps, lower damage but wider area of effect). Advanced traps would be like:
1) Obliterating trap(over 2,000 damage, but single fire and affects all avatars, even player characters)
2) Well Hidden trap(even monsters with a high spot can't find it and get hit by it, on successful reflex save, affected monster must make an additional reflex save to confirm the save-just like a critical hit swing)
3) Constant trap:
High damage low fire speed low save
Medium damage medium fire speed medium save
Low damage high fire speed high save
Effect trap(Hold, Curse, Poison, whatever)You get the picture. I would also like rogues to be able to climb walls and ceilings like I am told they can in PnP(more trapsetting options, and more creative Developer trap box placement options).

Jay203
12-24-2007, 11:02 PM

aye, but that's a spell, for rogue it'd be more like taking down that deadly swirling blade trap we all hate and then putting them in front of a door and shield block <3

GlassCannon
12-25-2007, 01:55 AM
aye, but that's a spell, for rogue it'd be more like taking down that deadly swirling blade trap we all hate and then putting them in front of a door and shield block <3

Not quite... he would take the blade trap down(unless it was embedded, and couldn't be removed), enhance it, and replace it on a door for an amazing increase in efficiency and effect. The [Trap Salvage] attempt would probably roll a d3 to check success or failure, and take a good while(full 60 sec... maybe). 1(d3) means success; 2(d3) means failure, try again; 3(d3) means "Oops... I kinda broke it. A lot" and no more attempts can be made.

brootus31
12-25-2007, 02:01 AM
I think having disabled one trap to set another back up would be awesome. I love the idea of using the traps against the mobs setting them.

GlassCannon
12-25-2007, 02:08 AM
I think having disabled one trap to set another back up would be awesome. I love the idea of using the traps against the mobs setting them.

Conseversely, timers could be assigned to quests in the AI scripting as to what traps are set up and when. You might just catch a hobgoblin setting a trap up and be able to kill him before he's done!

Then again, if you are too darn slow in the quest... you will have to deal with a LOT of traps.

brootus31
12-25-2007, 02:39 AM
Would be nice, but I think we have to work within the constraits of DDO as it is. There won't be Dev money for something like this.

query
02-01-2008, 06:28 PM
But I want more. Like one of the classic PNP D&D options, I want the ability to not only bypass a trap and leave it set, I want the ability to TAKE small enough traps as inventory with me and "re-set" them in other places. You have collectables, you keep wands, I'll keep traps! Oh, that impossible red baddie....lemme place this picked up over there sonic trap riiight at the entrance to this corridor.....

(I might even like the Pit if they did that....nahhhhh :p)

ViVid7th
02-01-2008, 06:48 PM
There is a serious problem with these set times for traps. Trap setting should be in two phases, first being readying the trap which would be like casting and allowing you to move, second is placing and arming, which can be done on the fly and counts as a 2 handed weapon while arming.

Otherwise, it will be far being and not able to compete with a cleric dropping a blade barrier when needed.

Kerr
02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I think being able to set traps like we see in the 2nd Haywire quest and in the Tor quest, those little devices that have a colored jewel in them, would be preferable. Spells can make symbols appear in mid air, Rogues should be able to make these 'spells' appear on the ground. Have them activate when someone gets close, bam, trap setting 101.

Also, make it if they are setting a trap and something interrupts them, like damage from something, the trap goes off on their face, no Save. :D

GlassCannon
02-02-2008, 04:34 AM
There is a serious problem with these set times for traps. Trap setting should be in two phases, first being readying the trap which would be like casting and allowing you to move, second is placing and arming, which can be done on the fly and counts as a 2 handed weapon while arming.

Otherwise, it will be far being and not able to compete with a cleric dropping a blade barrier when needed.

Your trapsetting in real time combat idea is wholly flawed. 1) The rogue is in plain view. 2) Setting a trap while monsters are actively attacking/spotting is a VERY bad idea because they will pick the Fighter up and throw him into it, then guffaw at your stupidity. 3) Why would a rogue want to compete with a spellcaster anyway?

GlassCannon
02-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Would be nice, but I think we have to work within the constraits of DDO as it is. There won't be Dev money for something like this.

A resounding voice that emanates from all around. The essence of greed vs productivity. The fall of mankind to the iconic dollar. The problem is epidemic and festers even now, eroding what little is left of society. The query lies to the best and worst of minds: Can our genus graduate from the primitive and clearly flawed system of "money"?

As for the real point: They would put it in if they liked the idea better than the other ideas.

wizzy_catt
02-02-2008, 05:15 AM
already a thread about this

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=134383

GlassCannon
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
already a thread about this

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=134383

Wrong thread type. This thread is about traps that are PLACEABLE BY PLAYER CHARACTERS.

This thread is also about landscape improvised traps, and catching monsters unawares during trap placement.

This thread DOES NOT MENTION DIFFICULTY CHECKS.

Read before posting.