PDA

View Full Version : Fireball missing?

Galacticus
12-24-2007, 12:52 AM
has anyone notice that fireballs are mssing their targets...cone of cold also.
I've also noticed a change in the damage.

GuitarHero
12-24-2007, 01:37 AM
you mean how it can go flying up into the ceiling? yeah, i get that a lot, and its why i quit using fireballs and lightening bolts.

Draven
12-24-2007, 06:34 AM
I just started leveling up a new wizard and noticed my fireballs were missing occassionally as well. They would strike into the group of mobs but none of them would take damage. I only noticed that they hit the ceiling if the mob I had targeted was killed by another member of my party just as I was shooting it off. I don't remember this issue with fireball when I leveled up my sorcerer over a year ago. However, I didn't use a lot of fireball with that toon.

Galacticus
12-24-2007, 11:05 AM
you mean how it can go flying up into the ceiling? yeah, i get that a lot, and its why i quit using fireballs and lightening bolts.

I have the target in sight(clicked)...launched fireball and no damage...

GuitarHero
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I have the target in sight(clicked)...launched fireball and no damage...

aye, sometimes if you do it point blank it has that problem, and there are tons of targeting issues with spells like these. Basically in answer to your original question, yes, fireballs and other spells similar to it miss quite a bit.

Galacticus
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
aye, sometimes if you do it point blank it has that problem, and there are tons of targeting issues with spells like these. Basically in answer to your original question, yes, fireballs and other spells similar to it miss quite a bit.

not even point blank...at range...this has been happening since last update(What I've noticed)

Aspenor
12-24-2007, 11:13 AM
It's happened to me for a while now. Fireballs explode in the midst of a group of monsters to no effect.

Not all the time mind you, but often enough to be extremely annoying.

Riorik
12-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Or, it could be that the creatures you are firing at have evasion and they made their saving throws.

What were you shooting at when it did no damage?

Shade
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I use fireball a ton so i see it here and there.

But if you know the bug and how it happens its easy enough to avoid. It's also mostly fixed in mod6 which is nice.

Basicly it's caused by invisible geometry/players - from where your camera is to where your focus orb item is has to be 100% clear and have a minimum range of 5 feet or so for a fireball to work - and this has to be clear for the entire cast animation which can be very long on a wziard - especially with delayed blast. Reason is monsters constantly move so chances are they will move behind another player or some invisible geometry causing your target line to go haywaire..

Mod6 pretty much makes your "target line" ignore invisible geometry and other players so its fixed.. (tho there are other bugs relating to this not fixed so you will still see some weird stuff happen occasionally)

Oh and a good way to avoid it is to always fire with no target in your focus orb, and jump cast aiming at the ground - that way its extremely unlikely something will get in the way of your target line during the cast.

Tho this is all the same since beta, nothing has changed recently.

Aspenor
12-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I see it happen all the time even when I don't have a target, I manually aim pretty much all fireballs.

All the time might be an exaggeration. It happens often enough, and seems lag related for me.

GlassCannon
12-25-2007, 02:03 AM
has anyone notice that fireballs are mssing their targets...cone of cold also.
I've also noticed a change in the damage.

Yes. Change in damage is probably gear-related(or Monster Natural Over-super-enhanced DR).

I will Maximize and Empower a delayed blast fireball in the Vault of Night 3 entrance(Normal) - Troll Encampment - and round all the trolls up in a group. Sometimes, though it doesn't happen often, some of them, despite being in the center of the main blast, will take absolutely no damage. None of them have Evasion, so it can't be that. The way I can tell is they die in one hit, even if they save. The problem is with the spell never being assigned to them in the first place.

brootus31
12-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Maybe the one that you missed took his soon to be crispy buddy and rolled underneath him? LOL

I know, that's not possible in the current mechanics of the game, but that sure would add some fun!