PDA

View Full Version : Dev request - Clickies!

Fourfingers
12-23-2007, 07:21 AM
I'd like to request a feature and perhaps you can allow it to be enabled/disabled per user if they don't like the change. It's probably assumed now that just about everyone carries clickies on their toons for various things (haste, resists, teleport to name a few).

Can we please add an icon for clickies in the upper corner like the corresponding wand/spell/scroll/potion? For example, I have a cloak of haste x5 and on my hotbar all I see is a red cloak with a 5 in the lower right corner. Can we add the green >> icon to the upper left corner so I know what that clickie does? I don't know if it would be a huge change to add this but I think the added extra icon to the clickie would be welcomed by many and I'll let them /sign the thread should they feel the same.

(A sample listed below. Not every icon was changed but some include cloaks, goggles, rings, belts, etc.)
http://www.jeffsjeep.com/images/clickies-proposed.jpg

Black_Flamingo
12-23-2007, 07:38 AM
I wholeheartedly agree.

LA_MIKE
12-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Gadget2775
12-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Like the idea. Would be really nice to have a quick glance that lets me know I'm selecting my belt of hast and not the belt of heroism. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
12-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Yup, the number of times I've wanted to use an aid clickie to bring up an incap person only to spend 30 seconds in combat stopped trying to remember if it was a belt, ring, cloak, or bracers of aid on that char...

Kirris
12-23-2007, 09:23 AM
/signed

Damn I mostly stopped useing clickies awhile back in favor of potions/wands/scrolls of the same thing, because they were superior due to the icon, its nice being able to see what you are trying to use esp in battle at a glance when you have alot of alts so tend to forget exactly who has what clicky and where it is on a hotbar.

BigNastyMP
12-25-2007, 05:02 AM
/signed

I hate having to remember where I put things on my hotbar. Seems easy enough.

lostinjapan
12-25-2007, 08:34 AM
This would help immensely...at least for people like me with tons of characters and lots of various clickies.

/signed

Kire
12-25-2007, 08:38 AM
I like it but they would have to go back and redo alot of Icons.

but still...

/sign

~Kire

twix
12-25-2007, 08:53 AM
/signed

Mad_Bombardier
12-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I like it but they would have to go back and redo alot of Icons.You know? That's okay by me. We already have the model in game. Look at wands, scrolls, and potions. A mini spell icon in the top left quadrant, with generic wand/scroll/potion icon in the center. Same could be used for clickies.

Tanka
12-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Signed for sure.

I hate having to remember which is my Jump clickie and which is my Haste clickie. =\

Azoralq
12-25-2007, 10:46 AM
They shouldn't stop there, really. They need it for everything. My warforged rogue has a docent for every resist, among other things. All docents look the same...it's hard to remember which one was which resist. Same for greater resist cloaks, rings, etc.

Souless
12-25-2007, 10:46 AM
/signed

the Bytcher~

Mhykke
12-25-2007, 02:33 PM
/signed

Much needed.

NKspeed
12-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Sure this is a good idea, but if you are the one customizing your hotbars, doesnt it make sense to remember which item does what on your toon? Personally I would preffer something to lock the clickie instead so we wouldnt have to always equip and then unequip the items just to use the ability

lostinjapan
12-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Sure this is a good idea, but if you are the one customizing your hotbars, doesnt it make sense to remember which item does what on your toon?

I have two accounts, with 1750 favor on both on Thelanis, drow favor on one on Sarlona and lots of lowbies on every server.

Are you telling me I should remember every clickie item on...let's see...approximately 60 characters? You're kidding, right? :confused::confused:

GuitarHero
12-25-2007, 06:59 PM
I have two accounts, with 1750 favor on both on Thelanis, drow favor on one on Sarlona and lots of lowbies on every server.

Are you telling me I should remember every clickie item on...let's see...approximately 60 characters? You're kidding, right? :confused::confused:

no doubt, i can't remember not to hit my bardsongs when i'm playing my rogue! Seriously, i get all set up and say, "gather for IC" just in time to equip my muckbanes!

Havok34
12-25-2007, 07:55 PM
It would be a nice addition.

GHOSTRYDER
12-25-2007, 08:00 PM
a little resist icon in the corner of elemental resist rings, cloaks, etc. for which elemental type it is wouldnt be too bad either...maybe im asking too much though

GuitarHero
12-25-2007, 09:03 PM
the only flaw i could see in non clickies having an icon is:

A) there are a lot of effects, and new icons would have to be made up, memorized etc. But since its a tiny, maybe 8 pixel by 8 pixel icon, i don't see that being TOO big an issue in making up the icons.

B) Items with multiple effects (such as a Charismatic Cloak of Greater Fire Resist), but that could be easily remedied with an icon in the top left corner for the prefix and the top right corner for the suffix.

Tanka
12-25-2007, 09:17 PM
the only flaw i could see in non clickies having an icon is:

A) there are a lot of effects, and new icons would have to be made up, memorized etc. But since its a tiny, maybe 8 pixel by 8 pixel icon, i don't see that being TOO big an issue in making up the icons.

B) Items with multiple effects (such as a Charismatic Cloak of Greater Fire Resist), but that could be easily remedied with an icon in the top left corner for the prefix and the top right corner for the suffix.
Wands already have the icon in the top left corner of their own icon. It shouldn't be too hard to implement the same for clickies.

GuitarHero
12-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Wands already have the icon in the top left corner of their own icon. It shouldn't be too hard to implement the same for clickies.

aye, i was refering to non-clickie items though, which is something I'd like to see. My rogue has a collection of greater elemental resist cloaks, all on my hotbar, and all identical in graphics. I equip them until i see the right elemental circles envelope my body and i know i got the right one.

Tanka
12-25-2007, 09:39 PM
aye, i was refering to non-clickie items though, which is something I'd like to see. My rogue has a collection of greater elemental resist cloaks, all on my hotbar, and all identical in graphics. I equip them until i see the right elemental circles envelope my body and i know i got the right one.
Yeah, I try to keep my Greater Resist Cloaks all in the same order on each character. Fire, Elec, Cold, Acid, Sonic.

Fourfingers
12-25-2007, 11:22 PM
added a picture of what clickies might look like with an icon in the upper left corner.

Geonis
12-26-2007, 06:16 AM
I am all for clickies, but why would you bother with the hassle and inventory space of clickies for effects duplicated by simple pots?

Kirris
12-26-2007, 07:08 AM
I am all for clickies, but why would you bother with the hassle and inventory space of clickies for effects duplicated by simple pots?

Most clickies are more party friendly, like remove fear/neut poison/remove curse etc can be used to target other players, where as most pots are self only :) of course if everyone carried pots for themselves that wouldn't be a prob but plenty don't.

To the OP good work on the demo pic :) now if only it were real...

Mercules
12-26-2007, 08:29 AM
They shouldn't stop there, really. They need it for everything. My warforged rogue has a docent for every resist, among other things. All docents look the same...it's hard to remember which one was which resist. Same for greater resist cloaks, rings, etc.

No kidding. I tend to carry a wand around as well as the robe/cloak/necklace/ring of Elemental Resistance. What I always do is break the various types down into 5 spaces and then set the corresponding cloak on a hotbar just under the Resist icon. That way I know at a glance which cloak I am putting on and if I need a variety of resists I can quickly cast the off type on myself.

I love the clicky idea and would like to see it expanded to include other things.

Mercules
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM

5 Heroism clicky ring. Enough to get me to each shrine and CHEAPER than 5 heroism pots. ;)

parvo
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm parvo and I approve this message.

Raithe
12-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm not really against this proposal, but I do have an alternative point of view:

1) I stopped using clickies that take the place of real gear about 4-5 months after release. I found that several of the times I had died had been due to having the clicky in my item slot instead of what should have been there. (Proof against poison ring & cloudkill, for example.)

2) Large amounts of clickies are generally just to provide insurance in case something rather unexpected and rare happens. In many such rare cases, the amount of charges on a clicky is simply not enough, and the item slot in the backpack would have been better filled with a stack of potions that actually provides adequate backup.

3) I don't think the developers intended on characters becoming faux-casters and faux-clerics through the use of clickies. They dramatically slowed down the speed of scrolls and clickies with the same update that got rid of dimension door scrolls and AoE spell scrolls from the vendors.

4) Adding the corner spell signifier to non-consumables may be a lot of work, either in the art department or in engineering, or in both. A simple player-oriented solution would be to place clickies of the same spell in the same toolbar and slot on every character.

Tanka
12-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Because pots cost money, and clickies recharge at shrines. ;)

Mad_Bombardier
12-26-2007, 09:56 AM
but why would you bother with the hassle and inventory space of clickies for effects duplicated by simple pots?

Because pots cost money, and clickies recharge at shrines. ;)And Clickies can be used on other party members. Self-sufficiency is great, helping others is magnanimous.

GuitarHero
12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
And Clickies can be used on other party members. Self-sufficiency is great, helping others is magnanimous.

aye, i can dig through my inventory to find my stack of Remove Blindness potions (that would be on my hotbar, but doesn't mean they are easily located in my backpack) when my partymate gets blinded, or i can hit my 5/day clicky, tell him to quit crying and get back to fighting all in the time it takes the cleric to go, "Who's blinded?"

Tanka
12-26-2007, 12:39 PM
aye, i can dig through my inventory to find my stack of Remove Blindness potions (that would be on my hotbar, but doesn't mean they are easily located in my backpack) when my partymate gets blinded, or i can hit my 5/day clicky, tell him to quit crying and get back to fighting all in the time it takes the cleric to go, "Who's blinded?"
Or tell 'em to carry a Blindness Immunity item. It's not like they're hard to find or expensive.

GuitarHero
12-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Or tell 'em to carry a Blindness Immunity item. It's not like they're hard to find or expensive.

aye, but newer players don't always have this option. Also, there are tons of quests where you don't get blinded, so dedicating an item slot to that rare occation isn't always a good idea. So many carry potions or clickies, such as myself, and if i get blinded, i remove it THEN put on Blindness ward so it doesn't happen again. There aren't a lot of quests where blindness happens, but in the few that it does, it happens a LOT!

Fourfingers
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I was really hoping more people would chime in and that this could get some dev attention. Who wouldn't mind seeing some kind of visual to know what your clickie does?

dominp
10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
/signed
wow a simple great idea that would improve the game for just about everyone.

Thrudh
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I try to keep my Greater Resist Cloaks all in the same order on each character. Fire, Elec, Cold, Acid, Sonic.

Fool.... Don't you know it's supposed to be Fire, Cold, Elec, Sonic, Acid??? :)

I think the original request is a very good idea...

Until then I suggest everyone standardize your hotbars as much as possible... For example... I have heal spell and heal scrolls and healing dragonmark (depending on character) in the exact same hotbar location across all characters...

Same with Underwater action item, cure serious wands, remove curse potions, etc. Same hotbar location across all characters.

But I'd love the see the icons... especially for those one-off clickables that only one or two of my characters have...

Wizzly_Bear
10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
/signed

Fourfingers
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
As was suggested, I do try to keep my clickies in some sort of similar order across all my toons, but it doesn't make sense for me to keep a spot for my caster to have a planar gird or haste potions when she can cast the spells, and my cleric doesn't need to have 4 spots reserved for search/spot/disable/open lock items. It would be nice to allow us to have some sort of indication what 3 charges are on that set of goggles. I try to keep clickies consistent across toons, meaning, my fighter uses goggle clickies of neutralize poision, remove disease, etc, whereas my rogue might use cloaks, another character rings. But not everyone has the same gear.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
This was a good idea the first time out...and its a good idea today.

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
yup it's a really good idea - and props to the OP for the photoshop, that must have taken ages!

Garth

Black_Flamingo
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I still agree it's a very good idea.

I'd suggest start with clickies, though, and work up to non-spell effect icons if it comes to that. Start with what we know, then work towards the new.

sirgog
10-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Love this idea.

Being able to see at a glance whether my gloves have Divine Power, or Haste, or Invisibility, or Rage on them would be great.

Turial
10-28-2008, 09:30 PM
/signed

Falco_Easts
10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
/signed

eonfreon
10-28-2008, 11:30 PM
/Signed

Aerniel
10-29-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.jeffsjeep.com/images/clickies-proposed.jpg

good lord man....

Wildseed
10-29-2008, 03:00 AM
It would be nice for both clickies and resist cloaks!