PDA

View Full Version : Casters way under powered compared to melee

EMDEN
12-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Casters are underpowered to melee

Melee are underpowered to Casters

Bards, Thiefs, Clerics, Rangers have no love.

Nerf Everyone.... Kobolts Rule!!!!!

If you are not having fun, why play?

Real issue of this post.... Kill counts need to either be eliminated or fixed.... this last hit thing is why everyone is crying underpowered.... how about "Percentage" of damage gets the point?

I have a Max XP Tank and a Max XP Mage.... I really feel that neither are underpowered compared to the other. Each has their own weakness and each have their strengths. If you are unhappy with your DPS, or Spell Damage... Use mana too fast.... maybe that class is not your play style. Please don't cry NERF. I can not play a ranger nor bard, just not my style... I will not slam on them just because I see a Ranger just blow my tank or mage away on DPS. Just my copper piece worth to say.

Aesop
12-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Nerf Everyone.... Kobolts Rule!!!!!

If you are not having fun, why play?

Real issue of this post.... Kill counts need to either be eliminated or fixed.... this last hit thing is why everyone is crying underpowered.... how about "Percentage" of damage gets the point?

I have a Max XP Tank and a Max XP Mage.... I really feel that neither are underpowered compared to the other. Each has their own weakness and each have their strengths. If you are unhappy with your DPS, or Spell Damage... Use mana too fast.... maybe that class is not your play style. Please don't cry NERF. I can not play a ranger nor bard, just not my style... I will not slam on them just because I see a Ranger just blow my tank or mage away on DPS. Just my copper piece worth to say.

Well... in that case why not just an out right Damage Done meter... and a Damage Healed meter instead... of course this does nothing for CC people or people that contribute in other ways but showing the damage done would be better than the lucky last hit method :D

Aesop

Aspenor
12-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I think I would cry if a ranger outdamaged my sorceror.

Turial
12-22-2007, 03:58 PM
And I would cry if the kobold out damaged my ranger.

Emili
12-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Really... I do not believe the counter matters as much as the players consideration of other players. What I mean by that is it is easy to take a high dps caster and slam the mob from a distance even before the melee run up to it and get a swing - sometimes before the melee even see the mob. I've said it many times... no particular class is needed in a group, however the effectiveness of a good player with any class is not so diversed. A good player playing a melee can be ten fold better playing a caster - they're quicker and more efficient. This being said attributes to the problem. The strengths of one class over-shadow the strengths of another 10 fold. If you take a same group of seasoned players who understand each and every class well - then tell run them all melee in a given quest, then turn around and let them do the same quest running all casters... they'd find the caster run to be more efficient, quicker and more economical.

I truely believe the people comparing the differences are not speaking about the kill counter as much as they feel they're not contributing because the mob is dead from afar.

brshelton
12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I think I would cry if a ranger outdamaged my sorceror.

as I would I asp... Even my sick new build I'm leveling :) 10 attacks per a round and +50% attack speed FTW! but still won't beat max/emp FW with max/emp fireballs all around it

krud
12-22-2007, 10:13 PM
how about "Percentage" of damage gets the point?

because they do not keep track of how much damage you did to any one particular mob. Check the combat log. It doesn't say "XXX amount of damage to kobold#1", and i'm sure when the computer tallies the damage for the mob it doesn't reserve a spot in memory for whoever dealt the damage. All you get is 1 point each time you see "You killed the <mob>" pop up in your combat log. Last person gets the kill point. It's simple. No need to get complicated.

What would be nice for personal viewing are things such as: hit%, damage/hit, deaths, heals, damage taken, etc. All of these can be tabulated from the combat log.

Havok34
12-22-2007, 10:54 PM

You missed Pally's... boy are we so UNLOVED.... can't even make this post....

Elleron
12-22-2007, 11:17 PM
The kill count does not really matter if the quest is a success.

But if my rogue out kills the big bad melee - I'm going to brag all the way to the bank.

Melee types get the kills until about 9-10 level then the mage's with their damage ability take over.

The insta-killing, cc, and blocking door method just makes the quest easier for everyone - less healing for the cleric and less beat down on the meele's, more killing by the mage's.

I've run with insta-killing mages and I've run with cc mages, the cc mages made the quest so easy, like taking candy from a baby.

But just like pen and paper d&d, the meele's have the advantage in lower levels and then it evens out and then the caster's take over.

Make one of each and have fun.

gpk
12-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Good idea!
I'll make a melee and stop playing after 3-4 weeks when he hits level 10.
I'll make a caster and complain about how weak he is until a few days later when I hit level 5, then play him for the next year+

GlassCannon
12-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Good idea!
I'll make a melee and stop playing after 3-4 weeks when he hits level 6.
I'll make a caster and complain about how weak he is until a few days later when I hit level 11, then play him for the next year+
I'll then make some other odds and ends that slightly resemble a pure class, but are ultimately abominations, and play them while I am bored of nuking everything, and ignoring my itty bitty baby tank in his itty bitty boat.

Fixed for accuracy... then fixed for inaccuracy and an itty bitty baby in an itty bitty boat.

Yen_Lo_Wang
12-23-2007, 04:32 AM
Simple if your bored of being outkilled then can allways make a caster but ilove it when tanks get themselves butchered running off with no healer, while the rest of the party is doing something else, if the party runns well as a group gets the job done who cares that this person got the kills or that person would you rather a party wipe while you sit there smug in your corner with the caster on full sp but you got to hit stuff. Personal opinon alot of tanks arent all that smart to begin with when a crowd is under hypno or fasinate etc why must everything be smacked into one big moving attacking mob when taking em out one at time works so well?