PDA

View Full Version : ranged holy smite

Aeneas
12-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm sure it has been asked before, but i never saw the thread and i'm too lazy to look for it. My question is, is there any particular reason that smite evil (paladin ability) shouldn't work on a ranged attack?

MrCow
12-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Ummm... isn't Holy Smite already a ranged spell?

*Scratches his head, somewhat baffled*

Yaga_Nub
12-20-2007, 08:11 AM
It's definitely not a touch spell so it has to be ranged right? Unless I'm think of a different spells. We're talking about the level 2 spell right?

MrCow
12-20-2007, 08:18 AM
My guess is the original poster is talking about the ability to do ranged "Smite Evil".

BlueLightBandit
12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
My guess is the original poster is talking about the ability to do ranged "Smite Evil".

With a pally... it would make sense, kinda... with the enhancement line for longbows.

I think it comes from the game limitation that also accompanies combat technices (i.e. trip, sunder, stunning blow, etc) which theoretically would be more like a "called shot" than anything.

That being said... "called shot" is not implemented in DDO, so Holy Smite is not a ranged attack.

Aeneas
12-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I definitely meant smite evil for a pally, sorry for that, it was early :p

But seriously, longbows are the preferred weapon of the silver flame, but they cannot smite evil creatures with them :confused:

I know it seems like a pretty lame thing to ask/complain about, i've just been trying to figure a way to pack a big punch into one shot.

MysticTheurge
12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Cause that's the way the D&D rules work?

Smite Evil (Su)

Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per day, as indicated on Table: The Paladin, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.

GuitarHero
12-20-2007, 09:29 AM

damn you and your "rules" MT!!!! :p

Aeneas
12-20-2007, 10:52 AM

ok, well then can we get the in game text changed to say melee attack, because currently it does not.

MysticTheurge
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
ok, well then can we get the in game text changed to say melee attack, because currently it does not.

I'm not a big fan of the in-game text. It's sometimes just flat-out wrong, and even more often than that it's not specific enough.

Aeneas
12-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I personally would rather see them alter the feat to allow for a ranged smite. The idea that evil can only be properly rebuffed is with a hands on attack is kind of silly.

Aeneas
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM
More specifically, i'd like to see a 10 paladin/6 rogue with deepwood sniper enhancements and the abbot bow crit something with a smite evil while wearing a bloodstone - k?

MysticTheurge
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I personally would rather see them alter the feat to allow for a ranged smite. The idea that evil can only be properly rebuffed is with a hands on attack is kind of silly.

I think it has more to do with the iconic image of a paladin, which does not tend towards ranged attackers.

That said, it might make a nice higher-level Silver Flame enhancement, or just an addition to the Follower of the Silver Flame enhancement.