PDA

View Full Version : Mini-games and Lotr Interplay

marxlives
12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Me and my friends are big fans of DDO and in the context of quests, exploration, and just an overall great community to play with DDO is, in my mind, second to none. However when speaking with one of my friends over DDO one of things that came up was the different things to do solo while waiting for a quest. After much discussion, and coffee, we decided that a good idea would be 2d mini-games at taverns. D&D already has a game called dragons ante, maybe instittuting this game and inventing some others that would be unique to the Eberron universe over a 2d interface (much like using your inventory screen) would provide players a great way to interact with the Eberron world outside of questing. Games like chess, checkers, texas hold em', could be hosted at taverns but slightly altered to give the games that Eberron flare. This minigames could be played for money and some games could host multiple pc's with an npc dealer. Of course these mini-games would not be a replacement for questing but would give players interesting ways to spend time in Eberron that is not combat related.

Also, I did play the free trial of Lord of the Rings Online. One of the things that interested me was the music system that allows players to strum instruments on thier own or even use prefabed music created by other players to create interesting tunes. Don't get me wrong, I love DDO, however I was wondering how come this music system was not borrowed from the DDO team and instituted since these games are under the same company. The ability could be a default ability to bards and characters that learn the perform skill. Instruments would have a difficulty rating that would equal the rank in perform neccessary to play certain instruments. I think this aspect of Lord of the Rings would fit well in DDO, Guitar Hero? Give me a break. Clan bands in DDO now thats something I could sink my teeth into.

Magnyr_Delorn
12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Amazing idea to pass time, but topics such as these have never received a dev reply. Good luck!

GuitarHero
12-19-2007, 05:55 PM
I'd like to substitute my own guitar riffs in for my bard songs. I could come up with a few unique tunes that are a few seconds long, and it would be a way to make my bard stand out. I've got the programs to make the music, so i'm waiting on turbine to let me put it in!

BlueLightBandit
12-20-2007, 09:09 AM
The LotRO engine and DDO engine are two separate beasts. It's like saying "I can do this in OS X, why can't I do it in XP?"

The music system in LotRO is awesome though, no doubt about that, it's just not something that could be added easily to DDO.

oronisi
12-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Me and my friends are big fans of DDO and in the context of quests, exploration, and just an overall great community to play with DDO is, in my mind, second to none. However when speaking with one of my friends over DDO one of things that came up was the different things to do solo while waiting for a quest. After much discussion, and coffee, we decided that a good idea would be 2d mini-games at taverns. D&D already has a game called dragons ante, maybe instittuting this game and inventing some others that would be unique to the Eberron universe over a 2d interface (much like using your inventory screen) would provide players a great way to interact with the Eberron world outside of questing. Games like chess, checkers, texas hold em', could be hosted at taverns but slightly altered to give the games that Eberron flare. This minigames could be played for money and some games could host multiple pc's with an npc dealer. Of course these mini-games would not be a replacement for questing but would give players interesting ways to spend time in Eberron that is not combat related.

Also, I did play the free trial of Lord of the Rings Online. One of the things that interested me was the music system that allows players to strum instruments on thier own or even use prefabed music created by other players to create interesting tunes. Don't get me wrong, I love DDO, however I was wondering how come this music system was not borrowed from the DDO team and instituted since these games are under the same company. The ability could be a default ability to bards and characters that learn the perform skill. Instruments would have a difficulty rating that would equal the rank in perform neccessary to play certain instruments. I think this aspect of Lord of the Rings would fit well in DDO, Guitar Hero? Give me a break. Clan bands in DDO now thats something I could sink my teeth into.

Simply put, MMOs (and RPGs) that have minigames are better. They are more immersive, and offer you things to do besides the main path of combat. For the small amount of time it takes to program minigames, I can not for the life of me figure out why MMOs don't put them in. I mean, DDO has 2 text-based minigames that I can think of, but they are so basic, boring, and single-player that I don't know why they bothered.