PDA

View Full Version : Content suggestion/Player Housing?

shodan_incarnate
12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Hullo. Was curious about if the DEVS plan to work on, or are currently working on (be it brainstorming, or actually in the coding phase) of making player houses. I feel that player housing and other aspects of content not directly linked to improving player character abilities and what not, add a decent amount of color to a game, as well as giving something more in depth for players to get attached to in a game. Developing player housing, and subsequent content for the system, such as a new category of items, and crafting, to guild houses and decorative items as well. Hope I dont get a bombardment of hissing, crossing of the index fingers, and inferno of flaming, but look at EQ2, UO, and other popular games that have player housing and what not. I want to say many more players.. though im not sure of the amount of players currently belonging to DDO.. But they do have a whole new level of ... well stuff to do. I liked EQ2's system. Player purchasable housing, even guildhalls...A whole new tier of content one can work to.. and make it all that much more harder to give up DDO... and more reason to keep playing and paying. I could go on and on describing what would be great and what wouldnt... No point though. What I want to know is obviously, if its in the works, and also, what other players here think about all this... ^_^

Deriaz
12-18-2007, 08:05 PM
I've never really understood player housing, but I know of a few people that would jump at it, so I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Guild housing/halls, though. . . That'd be great to have. :D

-D

shodan_incarnate
12-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Yes, well the only real point of player housing was to give the player a more personal feel and attachment to their character, and inrease the sense of accomplishment you get when collecting those rare hard to find items, building up a rich ass house and so on and so forth. It will help keep players interested, as well as keep them around longer. Anyone else got any input?

GlassCannon
12-19-2007, 03:18 AM
And use it for a storage spot and rest shrine.

Nothing more.

No, I loathe grinds.

If I have to grind for it I likely won't, and will be one of the last to wind up having one, that I won't use much at all.

Functionally they are often useless, considering other faculties to service yoru characters. Aesthetically, ... I don't care. I am an analytical artist.

Deriaz
12-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Yes, well the only real point of player housing was to give the player a more personal feel and attachment to their character, and inrease the sense of accomplishment you get when collecting those rare hard to find items, building up a rich ass house and so on and so forth. It will help keep players interested, as well as keep them around longer. Anyone else got any input?

I could see a sense of accomplishment and attachment and all that. The only problem I see is that. . . In another game I played that had player housing, most of the houses were just used as storage. It also kind of made the community look a little less populated, since people would be in their houses all the time, and no one could contact them except through whisper.

If done correctly, though, it would be cool to see. Say. . . If someone was in their house, anyone in their guild or friends list would have a little note saying "S/he is in her/his house." That way, the houses become a little more public, but not to the point where a random bum could walk in, plop down on your couch, and take a nap.

-D

xanvar
12-19-2007, 07:11 AM
If I had a house I wouldn't mind random bums dropping by. You never know who that bum might be. Maybe just maybe its the festival jester between holiday gigs.

Hvymetal
12-19-2007, 07:31 AM
If I had a house I wouldn't mind random bums dropping by. You never know who that bum might be. Maybe just maybe its the festival jester between holiday gigs.
Or maybe they have loose change in their pockets:D

Personally, I would love to see USEFULL guildhalls, i.e. with guild banking ammenities and whatnot, have no real interest in player housing. 2 Games I played that had player housing, UO & AO it didn't seem to add much. In UO player housing was used as storage, a place to set up training dummies so people could bot up their skills and as a place to gank the few people that wandered by. AO it really (to me at least) seemed to have absolutely no effect whatsoever.

GuitarHero
12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I dunno, now. When i played UO, i admit, i had an 18x18x4 box for storing my junk, and so i had crafting supplies readily at hand, but i saw some people put a lot of thought into their houses, and would be entertained for hours fine tuning it, not to mention i charged by the hour on my carpenter to make stuff on the fly for them!!! Those who would use it for storage (like me) would have a place to store stuff, and show off the odd trophy, and those who would spend hours finding just the right configuration to please their asthetic sense would have that as well.