Stop Hazadil's Shipment
Bringing The Light
The Smuggler's Warehouse
The Friar's Niece
Return to the Sanctuary
The Old Archives
The Crypt of Gerard Dryden

Information below:

Looking to try a persistent group with a different feel? Tired of playing the worn-out DnD character stereotypes? In the same spirit of the warforged-only groups, I'm starting a dedicated group on Thelanis consisting of Valenar elves from Khorvaire.

The Valenar, for those not familiar with Eberron, are a group of nomadic warrior elves who venerate their ancestors in a more personal fashion than the Aerenal elves of the Undying Court. The Valenar feel they channel the spirit of their personal patron ancestor when in the height of battle, and live their lives with a high personal standard of honor. If you're interested in friendly competition in a group that still works very hard to keep each other alive, look no further! Sign up with Elsarel's Valenar warband, and prove that, far from weak creatures who shrink from combat, elves can easily surpass the standards other races strive mightily to attain.

Team Rules:
We'd like to keep toons for this group in this group only. It's ok to run quests on solo or to PUG quests we've already done to keep up with the group if you fall or start behind, but please no PUGs in between meetings. This is in an attempt to keep our group levels consistent. If necessary, we can spend a few meetings re-running previous quests to assist those who need a little extra to be at the same power level as the rest of the group.
The line near the top that specifies 'Level Cap:' is the current maximum level for our group. You can certainly start lower and work your way up, and of course you can continue to adventure if your XP goes over the limit, but we'd like to limit leveling to keep us all more or less in line, ability-wise.
Any build is acceptable, as long as the toon's race is Elf. Sorry, but no drow or non-elf characters - the Valenar frequently take slaves among the lesser races, but it's unlikely they'd bring them along on a spirit quest to the home of their honored ancestors. 32-point characters are fine. The Valenar hold stealth and quickness of action in high regard, but this doesn't mean that all Valenar have levels in ranger or rogue. For clerics and paladins, the Undying Court enhancement line is acceptable if you'd like to take it, but please no Silver Flame or Sovereign Host worshippers. The Valenar honor their ancestors, not the other deities of Eberron. Of course, no selection of the enhancements for cleric/paladin is likewise a valid choice ;)
Please, no twinks or gifts of plat/gold/etc for your toon. Our toons may use the Auction House or the various vendors, as long as the money for such items comes from our questing. This is to keep our toons on a fairly even keel. Weapons, money, consumables, etc. may of course be freely traded/donated between player characters, and is in fact encouraged to keep our team strong.
Game play will be 'in character'. The Valenar verge on being 'bogeymen' in Khorvaire because of their ferocity and the swiftness with which they strike and fade. They also have an extremely high personal standard of excellence, regardless of their occupation. Remember, your deeds should bring honor to your toon's ancestral patron - honor his/her memory by being the best fighter/rogue/ranger/wizard/etc. you can. Our ancestors didn't run and hide on Aerenal - they fought giants and their dark-skinned slaves on their own turf.
Game sessions are currently scheduled for Thursdays at 7:30pm PST. We all agree to try to do our best to give notice when we can't make a session. I understand real life problems come up, but we all will try our best to make it, or at least give notice out of consideration to other members of the team.
The Valenar work to support each other in combat, even while attempting to outdo each other. With that, our group needs to work as a team; party deaths due to focus on one's own goals brings dishonor on our ancestors and breeds the sort of distrust common among so-called 'parties' consisting of the lesser races. Let us prove the superiority of the Valenar way with high personal achievement and low party deaths. No zerging, please.
In-character voice chatter is helpful, but optional. Insomuch as this is an RP group, some may not feel comfortable playing in character on the mic. Combat directions and group coordination *are* easier with voice chat, but we can adapt if the group as a whole would prefer to avoid it. Random OOC comments should stick with the party chat window ;)

Drop a message in this thread or send me a PM indicating your interest, or you can drop a /tell on Elsarel on Thelanis.

Good hunting, and I hope to see your noble spirit bring the highest honor to your ancestors!

** update 2008-01-25: level cap increased to 3 **

DiscordianPunk
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm in. Elf Cleric, probably go Undying Court. How far do you want the rivalry between Ancester worship and Undying Court to go?

DiscordianPunk
12-19-2007, 09:58 PM
How is Wednesday or Thursday night, 7ish PST?

neoanderthal
12-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm in. Elf Cleric, probably go Undying Court. How far do you want the rivalry between Ancester worship and Undying Court to go?

That would be entirely up to you. At the end of the day, the Valaes Tairn are still Aerenal elves, albeit with a different focus toward their ancestors. The Undying Court wants to preserve their elders for advice and to assist in the defense of Aerenal against another dragon incursion, while the Valaes Tairn Keepers of the Past (the priests for the Valenar) believe that their ancestors live on through their descendants, and by performing heroic/exemplary deeds a Valenar may become an avatar of their ancestor. So the rivalry may be something minor as simply two different halves of a whole, up to cowering weakling vs heroic bastion of strength.

there's some good stuff about the Valenar by Keith Baker on the Wizards website. PM me if you want the links...

neoanderthal
12-20-2007, 12:36 PM
How is Wednesday or Thursday night, 7ish PST?

Either would be good for me. I'll say Thursday, just to be safe. I'll update the top post on the thread. If you'd like, post a little bio on your character on this thread. After we've had our first session, I'll update the top post with the party members, etc.

DiscordianPunk
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I'll post a bio as soon as I think of a background that doesn't sound like it was created by R.A. Salvatore...

DiscordianPunk
12-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Greetings, misguided brother.

When shall we meet next? I have a few new tricks I would like to show you, and I am very interested to show you a new book I found on the history of the relationship between our two families! Granted, you will have to be humble, as it shows without a doubt that your people have wandered away from the true faith, but the treatise on the theological rift between our ideologies is quite... well, suffice to say I needed a glass of wine to calm myself after only the first 200 pages, and I wasn't even past the preface! I haven't gotten very far in, only a few thousand pages, but I think I know where the author is going with his theory. I think its actually a manifesto and mandate to bring all of the brotherhood of elvenkind back into the fold, so that our Court can vanquish Dolurrh once and for all! I've even found a few passages that refer to drow, though truth be told, they are only inferences that an educated guess and careful cross-referencing can illume.

I've underlined a few choice passages I would like to read to you and...

My my, what a long missive this is becoming!

I suppose that can wait until next we meet.

Oh, I have also heard of some of the lower races offering rewards to adventurers 'brave' enough to face their dangers. I think that between us, if you blindfold me, and hogtie you, we should be able to earn our living on a... 'fair' keel.

Fare thee well. May your ancestors watch over you, and may you always hear their voices.

DiscordianPunk
01-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Can't wait for tomorrow!

thalion
01-10-2008, 12:09 PM
A slim hooded figure stands motionless at the bow of the ship gazing to the horizon. There in the distance, almost imperceptible, land and the City of Stormreach. The figure suddenly turns and wades through the other passengers on deck and says to no one in particular, "It will be good to get off if this ship and find the others."

DiscordianPunk
01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I will be waiting for you tonight at the Leaky Dinghy, 4 and a half hours before the stroke of Midnight. Please do not delay, as there is some important business we must attend to. Too long have we muddled about in this crowded city. The dogs in the street are more courageous than these humans, halflings, and dwarves. Tonight we should strike, and strike hard. It is time to make a name for ourselves here, and show these whelps to fear the might of the Elvish people.

Who knows? Perhaps this city may hold worthy allies?

Until tonight, may your Ancestors give you counsel,
Althaen

neoanderthal
01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Elsarel sat in a corner of the Dinghy, eyes darting to the door every time a new patron entered. He busied himself with the sharpening of his pair of khutai - wickedly sharp curved knives gifted to him by his father. They had been his father's training blades, and were now his.
Eyeing the patrons of the establishment, Elsarel gave out a quiet snort of derision. So far, Stormreach had been filled with weepy, half-wit miscreants who hadn't the fortitude to deal with kobolds and troglodytes, much less any real danger. Occasionally he would pass someone on the rain-swept cobblestone ways who looked as if they might be capable, but such a person was few and far between here. Mainly, it was the weak, and those who preyed upon the weak, that filled this claptrap city.
His hands performing a task they'd done countless times before, Elsarel's mind was free to wander thoughts of the Aereni cleric he'd met a few weeks ago. Soft, smelling of their embalming oils and living dead, Elsarel had initially discounted the fellow as yet another weak cast-off in this city of refuse. The priest, however, had proven that the Aereni had not forgotten their warrior heritage completely, and was in fact a competent fighter. A bare-knuckle match between the two had been a lot closer than Elsarel was comfortable admitting. His manner was certainly refined, but the priest Althaen was as bloodthirsty as any of the Valaes Tairn when it came down to it.
Seeing a familiar form in the doorway, Elsarel quickly and efficiently cleaned his blades and sheathed them. "Hail, priest of the dead - what is this message that is so important?"

leozelig
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Movement in the shadows of the harbor...
A slight figure stares at you through the darkness...
For a fleeting moment, his sigil catches a ray of sun and blinds you...
A mischievous smile, gone in an instant...

The young Valenar approaches swiftly...
He need not explain his purpose...

He offers the traditional Valenar greeting...
He speaks quietly, plainly: "Where to brother?"

DiscordianPunk
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Althaen looks up from a age-yellowed tome at the young brother.

'Greetings, and well met. My brothers are not here yet, but we meet at the Leaky Dinghy, as far from these cattle as we can without hiring a boat.'

Althaen smiles, a hint of ferocity peeking through his somewhat bookish features. 'Make sure your weapons are sharp and your senses sharper. We brook no foolishness, as our leader Elsarel can attest. Your ancestors watch and judge, brother, and so do we.'

'May the Undying protect you, and may your blood run true. I welcome the chance to banish Dolurrh at the side of my brothers.'

DiscordianPunk
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
((Everyone on for tonight?))

DiscordianPunk
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Brothers!

I say tonight we show these dogs how warriors fight. There is a place here called the Waterworks... Elsarel and I have explored it a bit, but let us now go clear it of the infestation of vermin. We shall start with kobold blood, and one day, the Valenar and Aerenai will submit every creature in Xen'drik to the will of our ancestors.

Tonight, in the usual spot, I will await you, and we shall decide where our small band will go next.
I, for one, cannot wait.

-Althaen

neoanderthal
01-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Tairnadal:
While true that there are many who seek our aid, and offer some recompense that we need if we are to survive in this disease-pit of slaves, I have found that the human called Harbormaster Zim offers us a challenge that can bring honor for us and our ancestors. He seeks those who could purge their sewers of the kobold infestation, and I assured him we are capable of the task.

Some of his men ask that we rescue two of their number who have been captured by the kobolds (though why they would not kill themselves after dishonoring themselves in such a grandiose fashion I have no idea). They are aware of our practice of enslaving the weaker races, but mentioned they would reward us for their return. I chose not to reveal to them that two who could be captured by kobolds would hardly last a day as a servant to the Valaes Tairn.

The Harbormaster has assured me he will allow us access into the restricted marketplace if we can purge the harbor's sewers of these pests. I know he feels that he offers us a great boon, and it does aid our purpose here, but I feel the chance to glory ourselves and our ancestors with this task is the greatest reward of all.
I shall meet you here, at the appointed time, on the appointed day.

Glory and honor,

Elsarel

DiscordianPunk
02-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Brothers,

I write in a state of considerable agitation. Rumour has reached me of the most horrid abominations running loose in Stormreach. I know, brothers, that we differ on points of theology, and we have debated long about the methodology of reverence to our ancestors.

Today, it is time to put this all aside, for an evil has reached my ears that SHALL NOT BE COUNTENANCED. In mockery of the peace of Death or the Council of the Deathless, there are those who are denied the choice. Yes, it is true, as disgusting as it sounds, the signs of undeath are everywhere.

The Church of the Silver Flame, what passes for faith among these low races, has completely shut it's catacombs off from public view. Rumours of a missing girl, bone scraping against stone, and the murmurs of undead, mindless ravening undead haunt every tavern, every inn, every dockside. I will explore this, my honor for my ancestors, for life, for the Deathless, even for the freedom Dolurrh provides for those not worthy of Deathlessness... all of these demand it. I am filled with a zeal, a rage, an anger so pure, surely these travesties, these INSULTS to the very living will surely flee before me or meet their final rest at my hand. I hope, truly, for the latter.

This is where I will be, brothers. I will wait for you at the usual place, at the usual time. In truth, I hope that we will stand together, and see this degradation be put down this very night. If not, if your honor only encompasses the lust for blood, the glory of the under races, then I will stand alone.

Forgive me, brothers. Reading that last line... well, put this way, if I could erase my words from parchment without re-writing the entire letter, I would. Never would I wish to impugn your honor, I know it to be blameless. Simply, I am sore wroth, even rumour of this type are enough to bring rage to me. I cannot erase, so I will add.

I know you will stand with me. We are a band, together strong. I will await you all with some impatience.

The Honor Of Your Ancestors and the Counsel of the Deathless To You,
Althaen

neoanderthal
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Just an update - we won't be playing this Thursday, Feb 14. The group will meet again on Thursday, Feb 21.

neo/elsarel

neoanderthal
02-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm cancelling my DDO account, so I will not be leading the Valenar warband. If anyone else would like to pick up this time, move the day/time around, etc. please feel free.

Unless someone picks up the group, this means that there will be no more Thursday night games.

Just wanted to give you all a head's up.

DiscordianPunk
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I will take over for at least this Thursday.

DiscordianPunk
02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry guys, Althaen won't be around this evening.

DiscordianPunk
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm cancelling my account.

Best of luck, everyone!