PDA

View Full Version : Teleport/Greater Teleport Updates

DaveyCrockett
12-16-2007, 02:36 PM
We are now going in to Mod 8, and there are still no updates to Teleport or Greater Teleport.

Will we be seeing any in Mod 8, 9?

Also, Greater Teleport can still only be cast in an instance.

Will this be fixed for Mod 8 (considering it was supposed to be fixed before Mod 5)?

I think adding Meridia to Greater Teleport would be nice.
I think adding The Tower of The Twelve to Teleport would be nice, and would make sense.
I think changing 'Marketplace Tent' to 'Marketplace' and having the zone-in area be the same as a Portal Marketplace teleport would help to polish things a bit as well.

Updated to be current (9 Months later)

Aspenor
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Currently on Risia there are no new locations for Teleport or Greater Teleport. Will we be seeing any in Mod 6?
Also on Risia atm, Greater Teleport can still only be cast in an instance. Will this be fixed for Mod 6 (considering it was supposed to be fixed before Mod 5)?

I think adding The Tower of The Twelve to Teleport would be nice, and would make sense.

I think an entire rework of both teleport and greater teleport to combine the two lists and add these new locations is in order.

Hendrik
12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I think an entire rework of both teleport and greater teleport to combine the two lists and add these new locations is in order.

Agreed!!!

Impaqt
12-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Fine withth at as long as they fix Word of recall while they are at it.

totmacher
12-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I believe they're reluctant to fix anything with these two (three?) spells until they have a fix for greater teleport in town bug...

...which just stinks.

Kaldaka
12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Agreed

Teleport should go everywhere that greater teleport goes and vice versa.

As for Greater Teleport working in Town, that could be a little annoying if some jerk caster casts it in the middle of a tavern, so I don't know about that one.

Aspenor
12-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Agreed

Teleport should go everywhere that greater teleport goes and vice versa.

As for Greater Teleport working in Town, that could be a little annoying if some jerk caster casts it in the middle of a tavern, so I don't know about that one.

Make it work on party members only.

ChildrenofBodom
12-16-2007, 04:48 PM

Or they could make a UI setting for it. Just like they do with party, guild, and trade requests, if you don't want to be GT'd in public, you can just turn it off.

Lithic
12-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Or they could make a UI setting for it. Just like they do with party, guild, and trade requests, if you don't want to be GT'd in public, you can just turn it off.

Which is still annoying when you forget to turn it on/off when you want a TP/don;t want a TP. Party-only would solve all problems.

Yaga_Nub
12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
The GT 'bug' has been a little disheartening but I'm more upset that the spells are updated as new content is released. Some PM should have a BIG stickie on his/her desk reminding them to go back through old enhancements/feats/spells/etc. to update them as necessary when a new mod is coming out.

I also agree that GT needs to go everywhere Teleport does. Greater Teleport should be thought of as Group Teleport not Teleport v2.

Strakeln
12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Will this be fixed for Mod 6 (considering it was supposed to be fixed before Mod 5)?I think that last part answers your question.

MysticTheurge
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
While they're at it, they should make Teleport bring your allies, as per the D&D 3.5 rules, and just drop Greater Teleport.

Bradik_Losdar
12-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Heck, they ought to really fix both spells so they work like they truely should by allowing us to choose our own locations.

How about giving us six "empty" slots for our teleport spells that we can fill in with (non-dungeon) locations once we have been to them (as per PnP)? For example, I have been to the Weapons pawn shop in House D a million times, yet the closest I can come it by teleporting is the lousy weapons shop down the street (that I never use). Or what if I never go to the shop in House J thats currently on the list? Why can't I replace this with say, one of the taverns in the harbor where my friends always seem to hang out?

It doesn't seem like that big a deal to code. Just add a couple of buttons to the teleport pop up window (add location, remove location). Every spot in the game has a set of map coordinates. By hitting the "add location" button the game just saves the coordinates where you are standing and viola! a new teleport location. The remove button does the opposite - erases the selected location in the pop up window thus freeing up a slot for future use.

Scrolls would continue to use the existing static list of teleport locations and the Portable Hole tavern would of course be already included in all lists.

*Edited to include scrolls and the Portable Hole

MysticTheurge
12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Ooh alternatively...

Put in something that lets a caster "study" an area. Presumably a special, interactive item. Then, once you've studied the location, you can teleport there.

Teleport has a chance of killing you outright/dropping you over the marketplace/bouncing you around to the wrong location (with damage) or some other unpleasant fate. Greater Teleport doesn't.

Bradik_Losdar
12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Ooh alternatively...

Put in something that lets a caster "study" an area. Presumably a special, interactive item. Then, once you've studied the location, you can teleport there.

Hehe - why make it any harder than it has to be?

DaveyCrockett
12-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Don't think I want to let this one fade away to page 2. I think it should be addressed, and obviously so do others...

Nevthial
12-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Don't think I want to let this one fade away to page 2. I think it should be addressed, and obviously so do others...

Agreed.

DaveyCrockett
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Eladrin? Dog? Someone?

Are these spells completed (ie, never gonna be revampled, updated)?
Do you like any of the suggested ideas?

I think incorporating a rare gem into the teleport/greater releport system would be a thought. (Like MT's idea). The location that you consume the gem would become a teleport lovation, with a limit of perhaps 2-3 custom locations. And merging the two spells' location lists seems appropriate as well.

Yaga_Nub
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Eladrin? Dog? Someone?

Are these spells completed (ie, never gonna be revampled, updated)?
Do you like any of the suggested ideas?

I think incorporating a rare gem into the teleport/greater releport system would be a thought. (Like MT's idea). The location that you consume the gem would become a teleport lovation, with a limit of perhaps 2-3 custom locations. And merging the two spells' location lists seems appropriate as well.

Well since I'm someone I'll give you an answer DfC.

Are these spells completed? No. They will not be changed until Mod 9.5 - Kobold's Unite!

I don't like added unnecessary components for spells as it just takes up pack space. A counter-intuitive system will be created for you to use. Once the spell is cast, a command line interface will pop up and you must spell the exact name of the quest within 3.29 seconds or the command line disappears and you will need to recast the spell. We will be disabling Ctrl-C and V in this command line.

As an alternative system for teleporting, a box will pop up with all the zones listed. You will click on the zone and then a list of all the quest entrances/quest givers/taverns/etc. will show up and you will click on the name to be teleported to your desired destination. You will still have to completion this selection within 3.29 seconds.

For greater teleport to work, your group must be standing directly on top of you. Any deviation from your space will send that character to the bottom of the Abbott's moat.

ArkoHighStar
12-19-2007, 01:08 PM
how about your bind point at least, avoids all the casters /deathing to teleport around at least, and there are bind points everywhere

Gratch
12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Mod 6 already has a fix to prevent characters from /death'ing to their bind point. Equipment damage.

Yeah... I want these spells updated... though first they need to fix the broken Mod 6 cleric spells... and then add some more L8 cleric spells.

Akhad_Durn
12-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Fine withth at as long as they fix Word of recall while they are at it.

Agreed. I think that 'word of recall' should take you back to your bind point at a minimum. That would be a location that you could say has been studied thoroughly.

Who really wants to go to the temple of the sovereign host anyway???

ArkoHighStar
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Mod 6 already has a fix to prevent characters from /death'ing to their bind point. Equipment damage.

Yeah... I want these spells updated... though first they need to fix the broken Mod 6 cleric spells... and then add some more L8 cleric spells.

um unequip all items and /death ftw

Gratch
12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
um unequip all items and /death ftw

A true zerger would never spend that long... at least until they add "equipment set" buttons... and rarely has that much open inventory.

Strakeln
12-19-2007, 04:24 PM
um unequip all items and /death ftwHell no. I'm building a new character that doesn't use any equipment. Nekkid FTW!

MysticTheurge
12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Hell no. I'm building a new character that doesn't use any equipment. Nekkid FTW!

Why bother doing this before monks are released?

;)

moorewr
12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Hell no. I'm building a new character that doesn't use any equipment. Nekkid FTW!

THAT's the spirit!

So what's the best naked character? WF wizard?

narizue
12-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I have to agree that hearing something about this would be nice. Anyone?

As they add zones to the game these spells and Word of Recall need to be updated. Word of Recall should at the very least take you back to your bindpoint. Currently it is usesless unless you are looting BAM. And who does that anymore? ;) Unless they are looking for ore, and in that case who completes the quest?

GlassCannon
12-20-2007, 02:04 AM

No... I want to GT newbies(lvl 1.0) to the Twilight Forge.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

GlassCannon
12-20-2007, 02:06 AM
THAT's the spirit!

So what's the best naked character? WF wizard?

Gir.
http://www.lyris-lite.net/img/reviews/zim_gir_new.jpg

BlueLightBandit
12-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Custom teleport points, greater teleport in town or on group only... these things seem to be fairly code-intensive changes that would take some serious effort.

My suggestion, just have a poll with 30 or so locations, and change teleport to the six most voted-on locations, and update the list to add new locations for greater teleport. That way you're only changing the text in the pop-up window and the /location for the relocation. Technically speaking it would be as easy as adding a new "door" in an area (where you go in one side of a door at one location, and come out the other at another location... it's easy as pie btw... and pie is good)

Save the GT for groups only, or in town changes for when they have some serious time and effort to put forth... the changes I mentioned are quick, dirty, and easy. Not to mention, much needed.

DaveyCrockett
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
It's official. All devs have me squelched. lol

Lorien_the_First_One
12-21-2007, 12:58 AM
It's official. All devs have me squelched. lol

Naw, they are just so in awe of your equipment stash they are afraid to address you.

DaveyCrockett
12-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Naw, they are just so in awe of your equipment stash they are afraid to address you.

Oh great. Now I'll get the blame for the new death penalty. :o

Primalhowl
12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
I really like the idea of requiring casters to have visited a location before teleporting there. I mean, that was what kept the original spell from being too overpowered (in PnP)... unless you've been there, there was a strong chance you were going to screw up.

There is already a mechanism in place for determining whether or not a character can "teleport" to a location (i.e. within the Restless Isles... unless you have completed the quests and given the items to the monkey man and the ogre, you cannot teleport to their locations).

Given this, how difficult could it be for the devs to come up with a set list of locations that are "available" to learn, and every character (regardless of caster status) slowly builds up a list of what locations he/she has visited. THen, if that person ever teleports (either via scroll or spell), they can select from the list of known places. Places they haven't visited show up as greyed out or empty slots in the location selection menu.

I also thing this should be true for the Portable Hole. Write a short quest that can be completed by anyone but aimed at casters (with a quest level set at one appropriate for a caster who has just gotten teleport). To find the portable hole in the first place, they have to complete this quest. Then the Hole is marked on their list and they can always teleport back there.

Continuing the idea, similar locations could be created for most (if not all) other classes. A short quest to find a thieves guild for rogues and bards, that once one has completed, they can take the short cut back to. A hidden shrine for clerics and paladins. A training salle for fighters (and eventually monks). A forest refuge for rangers, barbarians (and eventually druids). Something like that...

Vizzini
12-21-2007, 01:33 PM
/signed

DaveyCrockett
12-23-2007, 10:46 PM
More interesting player-input. Hopefully after the Holidays we can get a response on this one way or the other.

Cold_Stele
12-24-2007, 03:13 AM

Agreed

grimblackblade
12-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Fact: Teleport and Grt Teleport are spells used to get you somewhere fast.

Problem: there is a static, limited number of places we can choose from. As DDO has expanded, the choices have not, nor have they been updated to more popular destinations.

Need: add more locations, change the static list, vote for new locations, allow a custom list of locations... (see thread for ideas).

Requested: comment from the devs if anything can/will be done.

Solution: anything that allows me to 'port around to places I actually want to go.

Kudos to the OP in bringing this up. Changing the spell is needed and if it is a low-hanging fruit, I'd love to see it implemented.

My favorite idea was the one where we would be able to customize our teleport points, but I'm sure this would also be the hardest to develop.

Cake and Eating It Too: revisit the teleporters as well. Add them (or even smaller versions) everywhere. Yes I know to get to GH just go to the Marketplace, run down and port in. But with long load times it could save some time to go directly there.

DaveyCrockett
12-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Just a little post-Holidays kicker to see if I'm gonna get my late-Christmas answer from a dev on this one. :confused:

Kaldaka
12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Very interesting that this post has not had a dev response to it.

Could it be that this is a sticky area of discussion/too hard to implement?

Come on devs, just a simple response will do (good idea/bad idea/what??)

Hvymetal
12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
LOL< check out the thread on Paladins, see how long it took us to get a response:o

DaveyCrockett
01-02-2008, 04:04 AM
LOL< check out the thread on Paladins, see how long it took us to get a response:o

I noticed that, and it was determination that finally got a response. I will not falter, I will not fail. :D

Hvymetal
01-02-2008, 06:31 AM
I noticed that, and it was determination that finally got a response. I will not falter, I will not fail. :D
Well said sir:) Here's a free bump for your tenacity...

Kaldaka
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Bump again,
I want a response!!!!

Bradik_Losdar
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Even a quick "We're looking into it" from Tolero on this thread would be nice. ;)

Kerr
01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
While they're at it, they should make Teleport bring your allies, as per the D&D 3.5 rules, and just drop Greater Teleport.

Keep both! Just change Greater Teleport to Teleport without Error.

I like those mischances with Teleport when you pop up into the sky above the Marketplace :)

Yaga_Nub
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
With the amount of work that needs to be put into Teleport and Greater Teleport I think this will be a complete Mod unto itself.

MOD 7 is already tentatively being called "Paladin/Rogue Love" so I think Mod 8 will be "Teleport Love." :) (and word of recall too!)

moorewr
01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Mod 9: Radar Love

:)

DaveyCrockett
01-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Codog? Do you have a second sir?

Kaldaka
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump.

Yaga_Nub
01-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Codog? Do you have a second sir?

Have you asked about this in the dog house?

Rallie
01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I see that it's still not fixed on Risia, even though the Mod 6 notes seem to indicate it should be.

Yaga_Nub
01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
I see that it's still not fixed on Risia, even though the Mod 6 notes seem to indicate it should be.

That is NOT good news. We only accept good news here.

Calmwaters
01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Teleporting is a bit limited at the moment and could be more useful if some of the changes mentioned in this thread were implimented.

Cannon
01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Adding extra sites to teleport and greater teleport would be very nice. As new areas are added to the game it would be great if they could also be added to our spells :)

Thanks for any extra info on this.

Cannon

Barumar
01-18-2008, 06:49 PM

I agree - I mean what does this entry in the WDA mean:

Other Changes:

Fixed issues with greater teleport.

Vengenance
01-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Pretty please Devs can we have a response to this?

Kaldaka
01-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm adding this response hoping we'll get to 4 pages with no DEV response.

LOL ;)

Fetchi
01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
How exactly should teleport and greater teleport be used inside and outside of dungeons? I'm a little unfamiliar as to the PnP rules and/or how people think it should work?

Rallie
01-20-2008, 08:42 PM
How exactly should teleport and greater teleport be used inside and outside of dungeons? I'm a little unfamiliar as to the PnP rules and/or how people think it should work?

Teleport can be used from any location. Greater teleport should be the same way.

The devs never admitted that it was done this way on purpose, and in fact sounded almost surprised when it was first reported on the forums after mod 4. The Dev at the time (Graal I believe?) assured us it was a priority to fix it for the next update. I'm afraid at this point it's pretty clear it was done that way because it was easier than doing the coding to get it right.

theedtwo
01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
i also think thatthey should change the GT locations. the only time i use GT on my sorcs is when i brough scrolls and just finished the Reaver or trying to get out to Titan, i dont even think that it is worthey enough to have as a spell. a side note, PAGE 4 NO DEV RESPONSE. sorry just had to say that. so i am hopeing that now i can use my scrolls in a better way and hopefully get to the house J matterals vender much quicker and back w/o takeing up most of my parties time :D

Kerr
01-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I really like the idea of requiring casters to have visited a location before teleporting there. I mean, that was what kept the original spell from being too overpowered (in PnP)... unless you've been there, there was a strong chance you were going to screw up.

I think it should allow you to teleport yourself and party members (if using Greater Teleport) to quest entrances. Seems easy enough. Just have the game check if you have the quest with a complete status of Normal or greater, if you do, allow that to be a Teleport option.

That'd make that DQ run and other runs MUCH more bearable.

Rallie
01-22-2008, 12:58 AM
I think it should allow you to teleport yourself and party members (if using Greater Teleport) to quest entrances. Seems easy enough. Just have the game check if you have the quest with a complete status of Normal or greater, if you do, allow that to be a Teleport option.

That'd make that DQ run and other runs MUCH more bearable.

That would be great. On the other hand, I'd rather have them fix the part that they promised to over 6 months ago first.

Bradik_Losdar
01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Hmm...apparently there is a much better teleport available....

Check out the little window under the Hit Point bars for this dev test team:
http://www.massively.com/gallery/ddo-the-shrould-hands-on/601976/

How come we don't have that? lol!

DaveyCrockett
01-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Have you asked about this in the dog house?

Not exactly, but I did link this thread in the doghouse. PMs are next I suppose.

Bloodyfury
01-24-2008, 05:27 AM
I always thought it was weird and illogical to see different destinations for both spells... and even putting some big limitations to it. I think there's two big mistakes in these spells, which people before me surely noticed too.

I admit we can't simply choose which "pixel" we want to teleport to but... teleport is suppose to be, you can go wherever you've already been in the past.

So the list should be: any single zone available in the game.

And the list should be exactly the same for Greater Teleport, but this version allows you to take people with you.
I don't even understand the instance bug with greater teleport. I mean, who care where we are... only people in the party should get it, period. Seems to me like basic programmation from any MMO... :rolleyes:

Kerr
01-24-2008, 10:53 AM
And the list should be exactly the same for Greater Teleport, but this version allows you to take people with you. I don't even understand the instance bug with greater teleport. I mean, who care where we are... only people in the party should get it, period. Seems to me like basic programmation from any MMO... :rolleyes:

I disagree. Both lists should be the exact same, Teleport AND Greater Teleport should take anyone in your party/raid that clicks the confirmation box, but Teleport should keep the mischance error while Greater Teleport shouldn't.

I.e., make it the way it should be, Teleport and Teleport without Error.

Can you imagine 12 people hurtling to the ground at once, the panicked screams and searching for Feather Fall items? I'd LOVE that.

kruggar
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Why they dont implement something like "teleportation stones", we can use them to "bind" a certain number of positions we choose to our teleportation list and then use teleport and greater teleport for the places we want to go.

They already have the tech in lotro, cause hunters have spells that do that

This will simulate the plaes i studied carefully to teleport to.

Rallie
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I always thought it was weird and illogical to see different destinations for both spells... and even putting some big limitations to it. I think there's two big mistakes in these spells, which people before me surely noticed too.

I admit we can't simply choose which "pixel" we want to teleport to but... teleport is suppose to be, you can go wherever you've already been in the past.

So the list should be: any single zone available in the game.

And the list should be exactly the same for Greater Teleport, but this version allows you to take people with you.
I don't even understand the instance bug with greater teleport. I mean, who care where we are... only people in the party should get it, period. Seems to me like basic programmation from any MMO... :rolleyes:

This makes sense, except that Greater teleport is supposed to have a greater range than teleport. I would suggest that Teleport is limited to areas in and around stormreach, while areas such as gianthold, the desert, sorrowdusk, etc be available only with Greater teleport.

Kerr
01-24-2008, 01:34 PM
This makes sense, except that Greater teleport is supposed to have a greater range than teleport. I would suggest that Teleport is limited to areas in and around stormreach, while areas such as gianthold, the desert, sorrowdusk, etc be available only with Greater teleport.

Maybe Teleport could be any city zones, including Zawabi's Refuge, The Foothold, Necropolis, but Greater Teleport could include any quest instances of quests that the Wizard/Sorc has completed?

DaveyCrockett
01-26-2008, 04:35 AM
At the very least, squeeze Meridia onto the Greater Teleport list early Monday morning, please!! :D

Rallie
01-26-2008, 07:55 AM
At the very least, squeeze Meridia onto the Greater Teleport list early Monday morning, please!! :D

Right after fixing it so GT works from public zones.

Kaldaka
01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Can it be?

Getting to page 5 without a Dev response.

LOL, wonder what the record is? ;)

SteeleTrueheart
01-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Can it be?

Getting to page 5 without a Dev response.

LOL, wonder what the record is? ;)

24 pages before a Dev reply in the Pally love thread. Keep going you just might get there. :)

Rallie
01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
So, now that mod 6 is live, can anyone confirm whether Greater Teleport is in fact fixed as the release notes claim?

Yaga_Nub
01-30-2008, 12:11 PM
So, now that mod 6 is live, can anyone confirm whether Greater Teleport is in fact fixed as the release notes claim?

I'll bet you 1 cp that's it is not.

ArkoHighStar
01-30-2008, 12:11 PM

You seem to assume that the fix refers to your specific issue. It is more likely that the fix was to address the buff icons staying on your screen after they expire, if they were on when you greater teleported

Rallie
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
You seem to assume that the fix refers to your specific issue. It is more likely that the fix was to address the buff icons staying on your screen after they expire, if they were on when you greater teleported

I guess I assume that the fix they put in is the one that was promised 6 months ago!

DemonMage
01-30-2008, 12:26 PM
It's not fixed in any worthwhile way.
You can't cast it in Public areas, and there are no new locations.

Yaga_Nub
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
It's not fixed in any worthwhile way.
You can't cast it in Public areas, and there are no new locations.

Grrrrr.

bobbryan2
01-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Very aggravating... borderline ridiculous.

Rallie
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
I sent Tolero a PM to bring his attention to this thread. Hopefully he'll get the chance to reply now that the mod is released.

MysticTheurge
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I sent Tolero a PM to bring her attention to this thread. Hopefully she'll get the chance to reply now that the mod is released.

Fixed. ;)

Racolus
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
GTR tele still need to be cast in 'private areas', black magic, huh?

IIRC Samera, yes the former CRM said it takes time to fix it, how long has it been? 4 months? 6 months?

Rallie
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Still hoping Tolero gets the chance to check PM's and address this thread.

Rallie
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey, I see they're promising a fix for the raid "Next Patch". IIRC, that's the same thing they said about Greater Teleport. (The day mod 4 released.) You suppose maybe "Next Patch" will address the issue?

I'm sad to see that the devs have continued to ignore this thread, even after a polite request via PM.

DaveyCrockett
02-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Now now, let's not get nasty. We'll hear something soon I'm sure.

/crosses fingers

DaveyCrockett
02-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Pushed to Page 6?!? I simply cannot allow that.

It's unbelievable that we haven't heard anything on this, and that they think the players enjoy using /death in taverns to get to Meridia.

Perhaps I should get MT to ask... (no offense to MT)

MysticTheurge
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Perhaps I should get MT to ask... (no offense to MT)

I have been asking!!

Yaga_Nub
02-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I have been asking!!

Well ask harder!

moorewr
02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
92nd post. Woot!

Tolero
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Good morning folks (is it morning? I've lost track)

So I have a few details for you in relation to teleporting. Sorry that they won't be more detailed, but it's better than nothing I suppose

Re: /death
Not quite what we had in mind for that function, but we don't see any harm in using it in the public spaces to move about since you won't suffer death effects. I believe Glin preferred that I referred to it as:
"When using /death in public spaces, you will fall over as if you are dead, and then mystically transport back to your bind point"
So /death to bind point to your heart's content if you like. Not perfect, but it's something between then and now

"When will then be now?"
"Soon"

Re: Meridia
We understand that trying to reach the raid in your 12 person party is difficult with a 6 man instance between you and it. We're working on something to ease this stress...in the mean time, you may enjoy the following
- You may find a member of the Twelve very soon in Stormreach. He's very interested in protecting the city... so much so that if you tell him that you're not interested in protecting the city, he will banish you outside the city walls to random places... and Meridia is among these random places. Not perfect, but it's a bonus.

Re: Other teleportness
We're looking into a few options, so as we get them ironed out, we'll keep you posted (keep your eye on the development activities, dev tracker, etc).

Re: Responding to PMs and threads
There are a LOT more of you than there are of us. We'll try our best, but we won't always be able to get back with every issue at all times. Many times there are topics where we have nothing concrete to offer (i.e. solution still being talked about, researched, or worked on), or we must receive prior approval for responses before we banter about something. But getting hostile, bumping, making "hey devs" threads, etc isn't going to expedite that process...and if anything, it may actually delay/prevent it. So thanks for your patience.

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Tolero!

Rallie
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Tolero -- I'm thrilled to see you've had an opportunity to stop in and offer some insight.

Could you also address if and when Greater Teleport will be fixed to allow use in public areas?

Thanks!

Wulf_Ratbane
02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Re: Meridia
We understand that trying to reach the raid in your 12 person party is difficult with a 6 man instance between you and it. We're working on something to ease this stress...in the mean time, you may enjoy the following
- You may find a member of the Twelve very soon in Stormreach. He's very interested in protecting the city... so much so that if you tell him that you're not interested in protecting the city, he will banish you outside the city walls to random places... and Meridia is among these random places. Not perfect, but it's a bonus.

I must be missing something.

This guy will teleport you to a random location, one of which is possibly Meridia?

I'm having a hard time understanding how it's possible to add a guy who teleports you randomly, but either not possible or not desirable to implement the "perfect" fix.

Can you explain the Dev thinking here? Is that really how it works or am I misinterpreting the function of this guy amidst your colorful fluff description?

Ustice
02-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to allow people in a raid group to enter the Vale? Usually something like that is a simple as setting a flag (ie., instance.raid=true). Considering that most people (if careful) can go solo in the Vale (and most people can even take care of the "rare" named mobs) I don't see it being a balance issue. Sure, we could potentially clear it out faster, BUT we still have to walk around to get the chests, and we still are up against Ransack to prevent abuse. If you are still worried about that, then remove the Slayer progression when entering as a raid group, like you would if over-leveling. It has to be as easy.

And as a bonus, we get something fun to do while waiting!

I'd LOVE to see a full raid do a hang-gliding contest. :)

Oh, and Tolero, I still don't see any mention of the favicon coming back to the forums... ;)

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to allow people in a raid group to enter the Vale? Usually something like that is a simple as setting a flag (ie., instance.raid=true).

Allowing raid groups into the Vale probably wouldn't be hard to code.

But it would probably throw off all the balance and make farming the Vale incredibly easy (where as now it's just pretty easy).

Edit -- Or as another mark against it, it would make it easy for a party of 6 plat farms to run the vale with 6 characters just standing around to pull extra loot.

In short, the Vale isn't balanced for a party of 12, so letting a party of 12 in there would be problematic.

Tolero
02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I must be missing something.

This guy will teleport you to a random location, one of which is possibly Meridia?

I'm having a hard time understanding how it's possible to add a guy who teleports you randomly, but either not possible or not desirable to implement the "perfect" fix.

Can you explain the Dev thinking here? Is that really how it works or am I misinterpreting the function of this guy amidst your colorful fluff description?

He's just a last minute thing related to some Live Event action (of which I cannot speak of further on pain of...bad...stuff... for spoiling birthday surprises). If it were as simple as just "doing" it, we'd do it. As soon as I, or one of the others, has more information, we'll let you all know. I've had numerous talks about a few different features, all of which have to be balanced against other things to be worked on. But I understand that teleport is high on player radar atm, especially due to Meridia, hence why we're trying to shuffle it further up the chain. :) But until that shuffling gets done, I at least wanted to provide some alternatives.

Tolero
02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh, and Tolero, I still don't see any mention of the favicon coming back to the forums... ;)

I know. Q and I have poked around on this numerous times. It's apparently not an easy fix, and we're having to have someone look into it. When things are easy, we just "do" them... if we don't just do them, then it means there's something more complicated preventing us from doing it :D

ArkoHighStar
02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Gol's Death taxi now offically endorsed by Turbine

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I know. Q and I have poked around on this numerous times. It's apparently not an easy fix, and we're having to have someone look into it. When things are easy, we just "do" them... if we don't just do them, then it means there's something more complicated preventing us from doing it :D

Um... actually. It is pretty easy.

If you give me the graphic (I might even be able to pull it from an old bookmark) and FTP access, I'll do it for you in the next five minutes. ;) :p

Tolero
02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Um... actually. It is pretty easy.

If you give me the graphic (I might even be able to pull it from an old bookmark) and FTP access, I'll do it for you in the next five minutes. ;) :p

Well I'm not a complete nub ^^ as I said, if it were easy, we would have done it already... heck we got the LOTRO one working, so when the DDO one started pitching a fit we had to dig around and found something out of our hands lol. So now we're poking the hands who can do something about it, just takes time.

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Well I'm not a complete nub ^^ as I said, if it were easy, we would have done it already... heck we got the LOTRO one working, so when the DDO one started pitching a fit we had to dig around and found something out of our hands lol. So now we're poking the hands who can do something about it, just takes time.

I know. I figured this was the case.

It's just, I may not know anything about coding video games or what it takes to do something in DDO, but I sure as heck know what it takes to put a favicon.ico file in the right directory. ;)

DaveyCrockett
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
<3 Tolero
<3 Tolero
<3 Tolero

Thank you for a long-awaited response to this thread! There are many of us who appreciate knowing that GT/T haven't been forgotten.

Aspenor
02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
<3 Tolero
<3 Tolero
<3 Tolero

Got something to tell us, Davey? :D:p

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Got something to tell us, Davey? :D:p

I think maybe, just maybe, that he Hearts Tolero.

SqtYork
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I think the biggest problem with allowing for binding locations is that it opens up a whole new avenue for altering the difficultly for quest instances. you bind near the end of a quest. Then pop out get all your SPs back, then come back in to finish. Or you finish the quest, restart it and go right to the end. You could skip all the intervening non required fights and have a series of wizards that each had the spots bound. I can see the advantage of binding non quest stuff. Binding the near the entrance to the Orchard, and other long runs from res locations would be nice, it would cut the release and return time, but I'm not sure how much that really benefits folks. I remember wizards made a lot of gold porting folks from point to point in EQ before the gates opened up on the moon.

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I think the biggest problem with allowing for binding locations is that it opens up a whole new avenue for altering the difficultly for quest instances.

Not if you only allow binding in public instances.

(Or maybe public instances and explorer zones.)

Ustice
02-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Um Tolero... Copy the file from http://www.ddo.com/favicon.icohttp://www.ddo.com/favicon.ico to the location on the server for http://forums.ddo.com/favicon.ico http://forums.ddo.com/favicon.ico. If you don't have access, someone does, and can do it in less than 30 seconds. No new art is needed. Ctrl(Cmd on Apple)-C, click, Ctrl(Cmd)-V. done...

Please? :)

Btw, Favicons support an alpha channel so we don't have that white halo.

Speaking of which... The same can be said of the smilies.

:confused: <-- Hard to see.

Tolero
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Um Tolero... Copy the file from http://www.ddo.com/favicon.icohttp://www.ddo.com/favicon.ico to the location on the server for http://forums.ddo.com/favicon.ico http://forums.ddo.com/favicon.ico. If you don't have access, someone does, and can do it in less than 30 seconds. No new art is needed. Ctrl(Cmd on Apple)-C, click, Ctrl(Cmd)-V. done...

Please? :)

Yes the white halo smilies drive me nuts... some apparently missed the last fix, so I'll poke on that ... (cool and smile and question mark off the top of my head.)

I'll see what I can do on the favicon again...I find bribes of pizza and booze work best to expedite my requests hehehe. Personally it drives me nuts because I provide some support on the lotro side as well, and I much prefer having the quick visual of the ddo icon vs the ring icon.

Lifespawn
02-18-2008, 03:20 PM

just using the dev tracker i had to comment.

Don't know if it's been suggested yet but a quick "fix" would be to add a door like we have in all the seperate houses to meridia and while your add it can we get one to the harbor?

Ustice
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I'll see what I can do on the favicon again...I find bribes of pizza and booze work best to expedite my requests hehehe. Personally it drives me nuts because I provide some support on the lotro side as well, and I much prefer having the quick visual of the ddo icon vs the ring icon.

I appreciate it, since I use faviconize tabs with Firefox, it makes it a lot easier to see.

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 03:32 PM

The alpha channel doesn't help, you still have to anti-alias the graphic, because the alpha can still only work on a pixel by pixel basis.

The original vector graphics need to be anti-aliased against the dark grey of the forum background and then have the alpha channel added.

The favicon (for the record) should be anti-aliased against white, since that's what it's most often going to be set against... when people aren'y quoting it on the forums.

Hence
02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I know. I figured this was the case.

It's just, I may not know anything about coding video games or what it takes to do something in DDO, but I sure as heck know what it takes to put a favicon.ico file in the right directory. ;)

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="/favicon.ico">

Put the icon in your root directory! *giggle*

Ustice
02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
The alpha channel doesn't help, you still have to anti-alias the graphic, because the alpha can still only work on a pixel by pixel basis.

The original vector graphics need to be anti-aliased against the dark grey of the forum background and then have the alpha channel added.

The favicon (for the record) should be anti-aliased against white, since that's what it's most often going to be set against... when people aren'y quoting it on the forums.

It does if you create it as a PNG file (256 levels of transparency) and it is a part of the file. It is like the current favicon. If you look above, it looks just fine against the dark background of the forums, and the light background of the address bar.

That being said...

I agree that the smilies need to be re-created from their original to remove that halo effect. You can't just pull it off.

On an unrelated note, MT (Chris, I now know) congrats on co-hosting ddocast.

ArkoHighStar
02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
He's just a last minute thing related to some Live Event action (of which I cannot speak of further on pain of...bad...stuff... for spoiling birthday surprises). If it were as simple as just "doing" it, we'd do it. As soon as I, or one of the others, has more information, we'll let you all know. I've had numerous talks about a few different features, all of which have to be balanced against other things to be worked on. But I understand that teleport is high on player radar atm, especially due to Meridia, hence why we're trying to shuffle it further up the chain. :) But until that shuffling gets done, I at least wanted to provide some alternatives.

I sure hope the anniversary is noint just a bunch of live events, while I am sure this will make the RPer's happy I have no desire for more live events unless it is Stormreach under attack and casters can use all their spells in town. I justhave no desire to run around looking for stuff so I can get some useless trinket

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
It does if you create it as a PNG file (256 levels of transparency) and it is a part of the file. It is like the current favicon. If you look above, it looks just fine against the dark background of the forums, and the light background of the address bar.

That's because it's relatively square and requires very little anti-aliasing. ;)

Ustice
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Relatively so, but not completely, plus the inner angles would still show otherwise.

Yaga_Nub
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Usti and MT,

S*FU (said jokingly :)) and go make your own thread about graphics!

MysticTheurge
02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Usti and MT,

S*FU (said jokingly :)) and go make your own thread about graphics!

I tried that! I never got a Dev response! ;) :p

Anyway... fix teleport too! :D

Ustice
02-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Don't mind him, MT. He's just cranky because I posted more bugs than him. ;)

MysticTheurge
02-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Plus I was going to point out that our discussion is the only thing keeping this thread alive. ;)

What do we want? More teleport and greater teleport locations ... and for greater teleport to work in public instances!
When do we want it? As soon as feasibly possible given the coding requirements involved!

Yaga_Nub
02-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Don't mind him, MT. He's just cranky because I posted more bugs than him. ;)

I'm not cranky, I'm always an a**hole.

Kaboth
02-20-2008, 10:30 AM
"When will then be now?"
"Soon"

Love the Spaceballs quote, one of my all time fav movies! LOL

Rallie
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Plus I was going to point out that our discussion is the only thing keeping this thread alive. ;)

What do we want? More teleport and greater teleport locations ... and for greater teleport to work in public instances!
When do we want it? As soon as feasibly possible given the coding requirements involved!

I'd be happy with even a comment addressing Greater Teleport in public instances. Tell us it's on the radar but a ways off. Tell us the dev who said it was a bug and would be fixed 'next patch' was off the reservation. Tell us this isn't considered a bug anymore, and won't be fixed. Or tell us the fix is included in 6.1. (Hey, I can dream)

Just show us some respect and tell us something! Please?

Ustice
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM

Who's this "we" you speak of? I at least you can go to multiple locations... Us clerics can only go one place with Word of Recall, and not a very useful place (unless you want to mine for ore)... (Okay, I KNOW you play a cleric, but its funnier that way. ;) )

The_Phenx
02-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Good morning folks (is it morning? I've lost track)

"When will then be now?"
"Soon"

You get extra coffee and a big honkin chocolate chip cookie for the Spaceballs Reference.

Samy
03-04-2008, 03:03 AM
PLEASE fix Greater Teleport so that you can use it in public areas. It's getting really irritating having to go into an instance to be able to go to Gianthold.

DaveyCrockett
08-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Necroing a forgotten thread about a subject that is still very important to me (and others).

Any forthcoming attention to Teleport/Greater Teleport?

Can you take 'Marketplace Tent' off the list, and make it 'Marketplace' at least? (and have it take me to the same place a portal to Marketplace does).

Something.. anything?

Mhykke
08-27-2008, 07:54 PM
It's pretty ridiculous after all this time the devs haven't indicated about even caring to fix the teleport situation.

Good necro.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii143/mykeuva/ThreadNecro.gif

GlassCannon
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Indeed. It's a real bother to be incapable of going where it is you want to go, whereas Enemy NPCs can obviously do just exactly that and partywipe you with the lag they cause.

Further, Greater Teleport in town on the Newbie Dock, sending level 1's out to Shavarath, would be simply delightful. They are bound to the Harbor anyway...

Paragon
08-27-2008, 08:49 PM
We are now going in to Mod 8, and there are still no updates to Teleport or Greater Teleport.

Will we be seeing any in Mod 8, 9?

Also, Greater Teleport can still only be cast in an instance.

Will this be fixed for Mod 8 (considering it was supposed to be fixed before Mod 5)?

I think changing 'Marketplace Tent' to 'Marketplace' and having the zone-in area be the same as a Portal Marketplace teleport would help to polish things a bit as well.

Updated to be current (9 Months later)

Well, I would like to see the tp and gtr tp spells add several more locations... Meridia, the Twelve, etc. It would also be nice if they would make greater teleport work in the town, or alternatively make it so the teleport and greater teleport spells can go to all the same places. They really should go to the same places with the only difference being the mass effect on the greater version anyway.

DaveyCrockett
08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Perhaps an implementation via crafting?

Bear with me here..

Teleport and GT would have the same base locations. The difference being the mass effect (as suggested above).

Both spells would require a spell component, which would be obtainable as a rare drop (and never consumed).

Certain key locations throughout the game can have a rare ingredient drop, that when applied to the spell component item would add that location to the list for the person casting the spell.

This technology would work for teleport/GT clickies as well.

Bad?

Gennerik
08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Seriously, if they are going to fix the Teleport line, then in addition to any of the current locations (with the addition of Meridia and the Twelve), each spell should be able to teleport you to the beginning of any quest that's you've already beaten (with the only difference being the number of people teleported). They should both also be able to be used anywhere, and only teleport group/raid members.