PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Combat. ..

Namelessone
12-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Sooo I logged into Risia, picked my ranger from the character screen. Headed right for Threnal and jumped into the instance. I was excited to try the scaling attack (was looking forward to testing out the scaling attack). First giant spawned and I opened fire, aaaannnnddd low and behold I was firing at the same rate, but with the scaling attack bonus. . .

I am truly sad that with the scaling attack, rangers did not get a rate of fire change to go with it. I guess I'll keep my ranger on a shelf where she belongs.

Kire
12-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Erm where was it posted they were getting a RoF increase?

~Kire

Namelessone
12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
It was not posted. Perhaps I didn't take into account that they would give the scaling attack, but leave the rof as is. It made standing and firing more stressful as the giants were on me in seconds and I didn't want to move and break the scaling attack. The problem was it still takes way to long to fire. I almost died standing still fending off two giants testing out the scaling attack.

My ranger is still at the same crossroads with this change (gimped imho). The change helped a little. . . but only a little.

Kire
12-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Well it matters which enhancements you took really... plus rangers have always been meant to take out a mob in the back rather then take on a bunch of giants at once. You should of been able to drop one before they got to you then ran away a few feet to take out teh other with the correct bow.

~Kire

Raithe
12-14-2007, 10:26 PM
What you really need to do is respec enhancements out for Deep Wood Sniper or Arcane Archer, then use some special attacks while testing out the new system. I doubt the devs are ever going to make ranged combat into an easy button...

Or, better yet, after you do some archery testing and the giants are on top of you, equip a shield, equip a puncturing rapier, and act like a real ranger would...

Namelessone
12-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, they were on me very quickly. All I did was fire away as fast as I could.

Ranged Combat just feels like trying to pull a car that is stuck in molasses in the Arctic during a blizzard. . . It is so unenjoyable.

I was really hoping with the change the rof would see a change to (with the scaling attack change), but meh I am almost burned out of this age old issue of ranged combat.

Namelessone
12-14-2007, 10:31 PM
What you really need to do is respec enhancements out for Deep Wood Sniper or Arcane Archer, then use some special attacks while testing out the new system. I doubt the devs are ever going to make ranged combat into an easy button...

Or, better yet, after you do some archery testing and the giants are on top of you, equip a shield, equip a puncturing rapier, and act like a real ranger would...

I didn't get a chance to get a "full round" off before they were on me.

You're right, my ranger would never be caught on level ground when giants were approaching. I would find some high ground, hide in shadows and wait to pick one off. . . but we know how that goes.

I'll act like a ranger with the "range" part fist and foremost. I didn't roll a sword and board ranger, so my strength is not very high.

Fallout
12-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah range attack is not even worth it. I suggested in a thread. to sacrfice melee fighting skills for range combat as an option. Sacrifice melee skills and multiply the range damage by about 3 times might make it more on par.