PDA

View Full Version : CONTENT: Player mounts

sgmalice
12-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Sorry, might have been mentioned already. New to DDO.

Do player-mounts exist in the current content at some level, or achievable point in the game? Or is that something the dev's are considering in future patches/expansions?

Curious.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-14-2007, 06:09 AM
They don't exisit....and they aren't really needed. You will never need to walk more than a couple minutes between quests so there really isn't any point or use for them.

Stormanne
12-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Agreed, not needed in the current format. Would be some seriously useless coding...

DaveyCrockett
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
While not a mount, if you do feel you need to move around faster you can reach 150 favor with House P and be rewarded a 'speed trinket'. It's clicky will turbo-charge your character while in non-instanced areas.

GrayOldDruid
12-14-2007, 02:08 PM
While not a mount, if you do feel you need to move around faster you can reach 150 favor with House P and be rewarded a 'speed trinket'. It's clicky will turbo-charge your character while in non-instanced areas.

... I have come to love the 'time turner' trinkety thing from House P... With it on, I move around like Sonic the Hedgehog on Speed. Haven't tried it with Haste yet.... oooo... and with Longstrider and the Ranger Sprint Boost at the same time.... Hmmmm....

flatlyne2001
12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
alternately use the teleporters to jump between houses

BlueLightBandit
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
... I have come to love the 'time turner' trinkety thing from House P... With it on, I move around like Sonic the Hedgehog on Speed. Haven't tried it with Haste yet.... oooo... and with Longstrider and the Ranger Sprint Boost at the same time.... Hmmmm....

It doesn't stack with haste, it does stack with sprint boosts though.

sgmalice
12-15-2007, 12:13 AM
They don't exisit....and they aren't really needed. You will never need to walk more than a couple minutes between quests so there really isn't any point or use for them.

Although I understand that the current game mechanics and travel format requirements do not currently require the "Eye-candy" of a mount. But I'm not just referring to "Speed improvements" I'm also talking about the fact that D&D (in any form) DID have horses in the least. It's kind of unrealistic to be running around a world with no animals, especially horses in a "medieval/fantasy" enviroment. Not saying that the current DDO doesn't contain "animal life", but I think you know what I mean.

If the maps and expansions are to include vast new maps (hopefully) such as that of other MMO's, then mounts would be justified.

But if not for travel we should at least have horses as they did exist in D&D.

GuitarHero
12-15-2007, 12:22 AM
find you a friendly dwarf (good luck on that one) and hitch a ride on his shoulders. Occationally refill his tankard, and i doubt he'd even notice you were there... Now a little nudge here or there should get you where you need to go in a decent fashion.

sgmalice
12-15-2007, 12:47 AM
find you a friendly dwarf (good luck on that one) and hitch a ride on his shoulders. Occationally refill his tankard, and i doubt he'd even notice you were there... Now a little nudge here or there should get you where you need to go in a decent fashion.

lol, yes but that could be expensive ale. Besides, I'd rather ride something that doesn't talk back.

=D

Hvymetal
12-15-2007, 01:14 AM
find you a friendly dwarf (good luck on that one) and hitch a ride on his shoulders. Occationally refill his tankard, and i doubt he'd even notice you were there... Now a little nudge here or there should get you where you need to go in a decent fashion.So does that mean my Paladin is getting a dwarf?? I'm confused:confused:

BlueLightBandit
12-16-2007, 02:56 AM
Although I understand that the current game mechanics and travel format requirements do not currently require the "Eye-candy" of a mount. But I'm not just referring to "Speed improvements" I'm also talking about the fact that D&D (in any form) DID have horses in the least. It's kind of unrealistic to be running around a world with no animals, especially horses in a "medieval/fantasy" enviroment. Not saying that the current DDO doesn't contain "animal life", but I think you know what I mean.

If the maps and expansions are to include vast new maps (hopefully) such as that of other MMO's, then mounts would be justified.

But if not for travel we should at least have horses as they did exist in D&D.

Mounts will never be "justified" in DDO unless there are some MAJOR changes. As it is the furthest two points in Eberron are merely three ports away... Desert -> Marketplace -> House P -> Threnal/Necropolis... The time spent to get you from the portal/door in one area to the opposite portal/door really doesn't take much more than 30 seconds...

What benefit would a mount do to drop your 120 second trip down to 100 seconds?

Even when they open the Twelve... going from the Falconers Spire to the door to the Twelve with the House P trinket activated takes under 30 seconds... so I'm not seeing a need for mounts any time soon.

Hvymetal
12-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Mounts will never be "justified" in DDO unless there are some MAJOR changes. As it is the furthest two points in Eberron are merely three ports away... Desert -> Marketplace -> House P -> Threnal/Necropolis... The time spent to get you from the portal/door in one area to the opposite portal/door really doesn't take much more than 30 seconds...

What benefit would a mount do to drop your 120 second trip down to 100 seconds?

Even when they open the Twelve... going from the Falconers Spire to the door to the Twelve with the House P trinket activated takes under 30 seconds... so I'm not seeing a need for mounts any time soon.
I think there is one caveat to that argument, mounts would be justified in DDO should Rangers gain animal companions yet still retain the ability to utilize both the TWF and Ranged modes of combat...... Wouldn't say it was workable but there would be justification for it for Paladins.

Symar-FangofLloth
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Mounts are not needed for reasons stated. You want horses "as in D&D"? If not mounts, then you just want horse NPCs standing around in certain places? Maybe if they ever code horse enemies :p.
No, maps will never be vast enough to need a horse. Or they will at least have too many enemies on them to travel far enough before getting knocked off. The desert is the biggest I think, or maybe the orchard, and you can run across them, unhasted, in 10 minutes or less, if you know where you are going. And if you don't know where to go, you probably don't want the speed boost of a mount to get you lost and falling off of cliffs.
Plus, a mount wouldn't decrease travel time from 120 seconds to 100 if implemented like LotRO has them: the summon time on your mount will make such a small trip either longer or equal time.

sparkling_diamond_l
12-16-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it would be really cool if at some point there was an area where mounts would be useful. I'd love to go flying over the city or something like that. It would be neat to have an outer realm public area that was full of forests, mountains, and lakes. It could be a place that randomly drops useful things for when crafting comes to DDO. I don't know....just my thoughts.