PDA

View Full Version : ATX Power Supplies

Tenlanni
12-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Hi all, got a question for someone with more knowledge than myself =)

Recently decided to put together a new system and ran into a bit of a snag. The Motherboard (Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI) has a 12v connection that I've not seen before. 8-pin. The power supply that came with the case has one 4-pin connector. Obviously not going to work. Need advice.

Theboz
12-16-2007, 09:56 PM
i think i know what you are talking about. You have a older power supply you can get andapter here

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g11/c28/s91/list/p1/Power_Supplies-PSU_Accessories-PSU_Cables-Page1.html

or it might be better to upgrade the power supply.

Impaqt
12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Never ever use a Power Supply that "Came with the case"

Dont mess with Adaptors. Get a Quality OCZ, Antec, Meanwell, PPC&C, Enermax......

Its not worth it to invest in a Quaity Motherboard, Processor, Ram and who knows what else and then trust those componantes to a $9.99 Power supply with a $20 adaptor....

neoanderthal
12-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Never ever use a Power Supply that "Came with the case"

Dont mess with Adaptors. Get a Quality OCZ, Antec, Meanwell, PPC&C, Enermax......

Its not worth it to invest in a Quaity Motherboard, Processor, Ram and who knows what else and then trust those componantes to a $9.99 Power supply with a $20 adaptor....

Hear, hear! I just had a dodgy power supply go out on my dinosaur today, because the x1950 Pro I installed pushed it too far over the edge. Said dodgy power supply was supposed to have a 30A 12-volt rail, and lots of watts to spare, but died about 35 minutes after the x1950 went in.

A good PS could run you $100 or more (a *good* power supply). That'll get you 80+ rating, good amps on the 12 v rails, and a warranty, in some cases.