PDA

View Full Version : Soloing w/o a level of rogue

JetEskimo
12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Wanting to build up a character I can solo a bit with, at least thru the lower levels. Seems like I'd need at least some essence of rogue to keep from getting trapped to death. Is this the case? Most of the solo builds I've seen mentioned hardly ever touch rogue... perhaps that should tell me something.

NameisToad
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Most soloists just run through the traps and heal themselves afterward. As long as you have wands or potions to make that healing easier, you should be fine.

neoanderthal
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Wanting to build up a character I can solo a bit with, at least thru the lower levels. Seems like I'd need at least some essence of rogue to keep from getting trapped to death. Is this the case? Most of the solo builds I've seen mentioned hardly ever touch rogue... perhaps that should tell me something.

best solo I've come across was warforged paladin, at least up until level 4. DR 3/adamantine (adamantine body), immunity to poisony sorts of things, etc. makes quests that involve trogs and spiders amazingly easy. I don't pre-build my characters, and don't have a lot of experience with the nuances of the mathematics involved in the DDO combat system, so your mileage may vary. The only quest I haven't been able to do solo with my wf paladin was Lesto's quest to recover the Eye of Khyber in the Lobster. I did try to solo a multiclass rogue/martial-type, and while he was pretty good at sneaking around, when the trouble hits the fan, he couldn't stand up nearly as long as the wf.

just my limited experience.

Cash
12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Imo the lower lvl traps are not to much to be worried about. If you want to solo I would probally go Paladin or a Fighter/Cleric just for the hit points and dmg along with AC. Just take is slow and easy, you can always up your spot skill to know when a trap or secret door is around you. I'm not an expert but thats my 2 cp

Good luck with the questing! :D

aiastelmon
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
I am doing a WF Wizard 1 / Fighter X, and it's pretty good for soloing. I haven't had much trouble with anything up to about level 4, and there seems to be some lack of solo content past that point. I did the level of wizard first to get decent SP's, and that combined with repair and other wands and potions keeps me up fine. The DR of the WF is quite nice. A Paladin would do well too, but I opted for a level of Wiz in order to gain access to all arcane wands and scrolls, so I can make use of a lot of the items I get.

I memorize Charm Person, Summon Monster 1, and Repair Light, and whenever I get hit with a bunch of mobs I can have my dog and recruit a few of the bad guys to even the odds. Makes all the world of difference. Arcane spell failure can be a pain, but once you find wands of the things you need you're good.

-B