PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft sponsored the Ultimate Fighter Finale

tekn0mage
12-09-2007, 12:10 PM
First 30 minutes of the broadcast brought to you commercial-free from World of Warcraft. Download the 30-day demo.

Sorry I don't care what you say, that's frickin amazing.

brettbennett22
12-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I am sorry. I thought i logged on to the DDO forums. My bad.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm guessing the Op thinks we should see this for DDO? Not a chance... the WoW budget is probably a tad larger to deal with their slightly larger population

tekn0mage
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
anything > 0

Hendrik
12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
WoW events belong on the WoW forums, not here.

tekn0mage
12-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I just thought it was a great way to look at some marketing ideas for DDO.

tekn0mage
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Stop it... just.... stop.

/unsubscribed

Qzipoun
12-09-2007, 02:05 PM
What is this, the DDO community can't look up to a much more successful game and see how it is doing and compare it to itself?

How is a game ever to succeed by ignoring what the best in the market is doing? Nowhere in his post did techn0 say DDO had to do that, if anything, he expressed how "frikken amazing" it was because that would cost a LOT of money.

And i love how Ghoste argues techn0 is not playing DDO and "is out to get us", I'm sure he's been playing much more than you ever will...

This is perfectly in the right forum, looking up to what WoW is doing to remain the #1 game in the business is probably the best way for DDO to advance...

But hey, it's much easier to bash people than try to have a civilized discussion on MMO advertising plans...

KoolHand
12-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech is making a statement about another game that advertises and our game of choice that DOES NOT !!! I watched the UF everyweek. I saw the WoW thing last night. I thought enough of it to tell my fellow guildmates today about it. I would love to see this game grow, but, by keeping it of the shelves and by NOT advertising it, word of mouth will not be enough. WoW, LoTRo adn any other game that does advertise should be brought to the attention of the community Turbine.

BUpcott
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech is making a statement about another game that advertises and our game of choice that DOES NOT !!! I watched the UF everyweek. I saw the WoW thing last night. I thought enough of it to tell my fellow guildmates today about it. I would love to see this game grow, but, by keeping it of the shelves and by NOT advertising it, word of mouth will not be enough. WoW, LoTRo adn any other game that does advertise should be brought to the attention of the community Turbine.

It was the way he typed it. Not like hey Turbine look at this cool thing WoW did. But instead he commented on the advertisement, nothing wrong with that, But finished it off by saying "Download the 30-day demo" and I think that is what got to people.

Dane_McArdy
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
For the longest time, WoW didn't advertise. It was top dog, and people just flocked to it.

Generally, when a product has to start advertising after years of being on top, it could be a sign they are losing.

RodneyT
12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
For the longest time, WoW didn't advertise. It was top dog, and people just flocked to it.

Generally, when a product has to start advertising after years of being on top, it could be a sign they are losing.

Kinda like Coca Cola, or the NFL? I hear theyre both in a lot of trouble. JK Dane ;)

I dont think for a second WoW is advertising cause theyre sales are falling. Theryre just trying to head into the next stratosphere with MMO's. That being the general public.

But lets face it, Turbine cannot advertise to bring people to a game that has had the trouble DDO has had over the past 6 months. But I do applaud the efforts they are making with things like the invite a friend offer.

Hopefully things continue down the right path.

tekn0mage
12-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I simply typed the advertisement, word for word, as it was broadcast. I don't play wow I don't advertise for wow you just all jumped my case over it. There you went LOOKING for a fight and didn't hesitate to strike with your venomous bile.

Don't sit here and tell me "it was the way he wrote it" because you all just look for any little thing to pounce on anyways, it wouldn't matter how I wrote it. It was the way you all jumped on it as another excuse to harass another forum poster. You can't sit there and say "its how you wrote it" or "its how you previously posted" or "you're a known troll" or whatever you think is justification for harassing me over it.

Besides its against the forum policy to drag in garbage from another forum post anyways. So if ANYONE is off topic and out of line its all of you.

tekn0mage
12-09-2007, 04:02 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. I'd say a video game that's flying without a Lead Content developer is more of a sign of losing it than advertising nationally at one of the largest sporting events on cable television for the weekend.

isldur
12-09-2007, 04:04 PM
It is actually in the wrong forum.

Dane_McArdy
12-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Kinda like Coca Cola, or the NFL? I hear theyre both in a lot of trouble. JK Dane ;)

I dont think for a second WoW is advertising cause theyre sales are falling. Theryre just trying to head into the next stratosphere with MMO's. That being the general public.

But lets face it, Turbine cannot advertise to bring people to a game that has had the trouble DDO has had over the past 6 months. But I do applaud the efforts they are making with things like the invite a friend offer.

Hopefully things continue down the right path.

It could be just that, they want to push it more, and make more money.

RodneyT
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
It could be just that, they want to push it more, and make more money.

Total Agreement

Kreaper
12-09-2007, 04:09 PM
First 30 minutes of the broadcast brought to you commercial-free from World of Warcraft. Download the 30-day demo.

You are right. That IS amazing. I wish this game was able to advertise like that.

Or at all...

More players would be great for the current players and for the game.

BUpcott
12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I simply typed the advertisement, word for word, as it was broadcast. I don't play wow I don't advertise for wow you just all jumped my case over it. There you went LOOKING for a fight and didn't hesitate to strike with your venomous bile.

Don't sit here and tell me "it was the way he wrote it" because you all just look for any little thing to pounce on anyways, it wouldn't matter how I wrote it. It was the way you all jumped on it as another excuse to harass another forum poster. You can't sit there and say "its how you wrote it" or "its how you previously posted" or "you're a known troll" or whatever you think is justification for harassing me over it.

Besides its against the forum policy to drag in garbage from another forum post anyways. So if ANYONE is off topic and out of line its all of you.

You need to relax. If you copied it word for word than you can't get upset when someone says the way you wrote it sounded like you were promoting it. Had I originally read it and you presented it in a way that it was a suggestion rather than a promotion, I would have been more likely to agree. However, you did not. I did not jump on you or your post I simply stated the way in which the post came across.

Arnya
12-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Just in case a lot of you misread the OP...

I think the AD asked to download the demo, not tek...

Just my interpretation, youf results may vary (wildly)

Attomic
12-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Given that they appeal to pretty much the same segment of the population, not surprising.

So if ANYONE is off topic and out of line its all of you.

They all said I was crazy! I'll show them ALL! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!

Ghoste
12-09-2007, 04:50 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. I'd say a video game that's flying without a Lead Content developer is more of a sign of losing it than advertising nationally at one of the largest sporting events on cable television for the weekend.
Product life cycle. When they start increasing their advertising that much it actually is a sign that the game has peaked.

I know, I know...I'm WRONG WRONG WRONG! You don't need to say it.

MysticTheurge
12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
What is this, the DDO community can't look up to a much more successful game and see how it is doing and compare it to itself?

I could also compare myself to Brad Pitt, but it wouldn't really serve much of a purpose.

I mean, there's just no way I'm going to be a "hot" movie star. Then again, I also don't really want to be that either.

So I choose to examine what I can improve about myself without comparing myself to unachievable results that I may not even want to achieve in the first place.

Dane_McArdy
12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I guess the if you are a debbie downer, you aren't the type of person that would think looking for a lead designer could mean expanding your developement team.

Ringlord
12-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Folks I may disagree with almost everything tekn0mage says or rather more accurately how he goes about saying it, but I saw nothing wrong with his OP here and so what if it is in the wrong forum, although since it is about DDO and a topic we have discussed here ( advertising of it ) then no I don't think it is in the wrong forum.

MysticTheurge
12-09-2007, 05:43 PM
...although since it is about DDO and a topic we have discussed here ( advertising of it ) then no I don't think it is in the wrong forum.

Ah, but therein lies the crux of the argument.

The OP is not, in any way about DDO. He doesn't even bother to say "Man I wish DDO could pull off some advertising like that." The OP consists solely of a statement of something that WoW did and how cool he thinks it is. As such, it is not a DDO discussion.

Now, if he had bothered to even take 10 seconds to say "Why doesn't DDO sponsor some stuff. Here's a list of things that maybe we could sponsor that wouldn't be too expensive but would get the name out there: <list goes here>" then you'd be able to make a case for this being a DDO discussion.

But as the OP is written it has nothing to do with DDO and doesn't belong here. I want to say that it's non-constructive criticism, but it's not even that, because it can't even be bothered to tell DDO what it's doing wrong. At best, it's a post which is completely unrelated to DDO in any way. At worst it's trolling and violates this forum guideline:

-Posting with the intent of provoking another user or users

RodneyT
12-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Ah, but therein lies the crux of the argument.

The OP is not, in any way about DDO. He doesn't even bother to say "Man I wish DDO could pull off some advertising like that." The OP consists solely of a statement of something that WoW did and how cool he thinks it is. As such, it is not a DDO discussion.

Now, if he had bothered to even take 10 seconds to say "Why doesn't DDO sponsor some stuff. Here's a list of things that maybe we could sponsor that wouldn't be too expensive but would get the name out there: <list goes here>" then you'd be able to make a case for this being a DDO discussion.

But as the OP is written it has nothing to do with DDO and doesn't belong here. I want to say that it's non-constructive criticism, but it's not even that, because it can't even be bothered to tell DDO what it's doing wrong. At best, it's a post which is completely unrelated to DDO in any way. At worst it's trolling and violates this forum guideline:

While it may not belong in this forum, it is really no ones place to come in and say so except the mods. All that does is start flames and take an off topic topic even more off topic (does that makes sense?) :p

Grond
12-09-2007, 05:52 PM
it is a general discussion forum. get your panties unwrapped.

A DDO General discussion forum. There's an off topic forum for other stuff, gotta agree with MT here.

MysticTheurge
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
While it may not belong in this forum, it is really no ones place to come in and say so except the mods. All that does is start flames and take an off topic topic even more off topic (does that makes sense?) :p

Oh yes, for sure. Responding to say that it doesn't belong in this forum no doubt also violates the guidelines.

cdbd3rd
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Folks I may disagree with almost everything tekn0mage says or rather more accurately how he goes about saying it, but I saw nothing wrong with his OP here and so what if it is in the wrong forum, although since it is about DDO and a topic we have discussed here ( advertising of it ) then no I don't think it is in the wrong forum.

As a dedicated consumer of the various WoW viddies on YouTube - yet one who wouldn't touch the game with someone else's pole - I also thought the o-post was okay...
I would only offer the suggestion that it might have been recieved better in Off-Topic.

Some of y'all are seriously over-reacting though. ;)

/grumbles... I missed it cuz our digi-cable box is borked til Tuesday.

Dane_McArdy
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, the mods have said talking about other games, trashing or praising, isn't appropriate on the DDO forums.

I wonder why.

Qzipoun
12-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Just in case a lot of you misread the OP...

I think the AD asked to download the demo, not tek...

I'm shocked people might have though HE was telling them to download the demo... that didn't even cross my mind :/

And to whoever is saying this is in the wrong forum, it most definitely is not. One of DDO's major problems right now is the lack of advertising and the OP was CLEARLY meant to bring up a discussion about this. If you thought it was tech trying to get you to play WoW then you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

could also compare myself to Brad Pitt, but it wouldn't really serve much of a purpose.

I mean, there's just no way I'm going to be a "hot" movie star. Then again, I also don't really want to be that either.

I bolded the part that was wrong with your post. You don't want to be a "hot movie star" so why would you compare yourself to Brad Pitt? Turbine wants its games to be as successful as WoW, do you think they have a weekly meeting where they discuss how they will keep subscriber numbers lower than WoW because they don't want to be a "hot" game?

If you think DDO has nothing to gain by comparing itself to other games, WoW included, then I really hope you never get to work for any game I play or develop any software I use.

Qzipoun
12-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, the mods have said talking about other games, trashing or praising, isn't appropriate on the DDO forums.

I wonder why.

No need to wonder, it's because trashing or praising a game that is not DDO on the DDO forums is useless, pointless and stupid. However the OP is neither trashing nor praising WoW, he is praising their marketing strategies. You need to read a little further into the posts you respond to, Dane.

CSFurious
12-10-2007, 06:04 AM
WOW is a bad game compared to DDO

but, it has a lot more players

it is smart to advertise during the UFC as the main demographic for that nonsense is probably 13 to 35 male

lost of potential MMO players are watching the UFC

Dane_McArdy
12-10-2007, 07:05 AM
No need to wonder, it's because trashing or praising a game that is not DDO on the DDO forums is useless, pointless and stupid. However the OP is neither trashing nor praising WoW, he is praising their marketing strategies. You need to read a little further into the posts you respond to, Dane.

And you shouldn't make it a habit to pick out my posts all the time, because you don't like me.

Aside from that. I KNOW why. It was sarcasim, but I forgot the rule we all agreed on, that it needs the rolling eyes to be tagged as sarcasism.

And it doesn't matter if they are praising WOW's marketing strategy, which they don't actually say that in their first post, so you are reading into it. It's still about another game, and this is the DDO forums, not any other game forums. So lets keep the talk to DDO. If you want to talk about advertising DDO, do so. If you want to talk about a great WoW commercial, then go to WoW and talk about it there.

But if a person spends 98% of their time bashing a game on that games forums, and then is all shocked when people see a post as just another attack on the game, they either just wanted the attention because it was a slow weekend, or they are fooling themselves. Just like how the person that singles the same person out in a thread, no matter what they say, over and over is stalking that person.

Dane_McArdy
12-10-2007, 07:10 AM
GlassCannon, if the OP had actually said what's under your first picture in his first post, I doubt that anyone would have had an issue. But he didn't. And considering his game bashing history, it's no wonder that people took his words as just another jab at the game. Because if you notice, he certainly does later on in this tread.

You can't go around acting a certain way all the time, and then get shocked when people respond regardless of your intent. And you can spare me telling me how ironic that sounds coming from me, who defends Turbine alot. I'm much happier being a positive person, then a gloomy gunther any day.

Just ask ccheatha about being a positive person instead of miserable.

adamkatt
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Commercial free UFC? Isnt UFC on cable and free of commercials anyways or are you referring to something else?

Mookie_Mashfoot
12-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Commercial free UFC? Isnt UFC on cable and free of commercials anyways or are you referring to something else?

I see commercials all the time on cable channels, including UFC broadcasts on SpikeTV.

KoolHand
12-10-2007, 10:56 AM
The UFC has a deal w/ spike tv. It host the weekly ultimate fighter that leads up to the big show (last week) Many games advertise on this channel. This one in the OP was just a featured ad for the main event of the Ultimate fighter.

Hafeal
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
it is a general discussion forum. get your panties unwrapped.

The OP was deliberately stated in a way which would cause the exact discussion which ensued.

Anyone who has been on these forums for that past 4+ months would know that. tekn0 absolutely had better ways to present his post than he did.

TiberiusofTyr
12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Well at least it's in the correct forum now.

Mercules
12-10-2007, 12:33 PM

I really hate that "Commercial Free" tag combined with "Brought to you by..." which means it really isn't commercial free as you just endured one.:D

neoanderthal
12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm torn on the issue of more players and bigger advertising and such for DDO, in the same vein as WoW.
I don't like WoW - I don't like the setting, I don't like the gameplay, I don't like the mindset of the vast majority of players, on and on and on. I pray to the gods above and below that turbine doesn't pull a Sony and capitulate to the WoW mindset, doing to DDO what Sony did to SW:Galaxies. I know if I wanted to play WoW, I would do so. I wouldn't play LOTRO or Warhammer:Online, complain loudly that it wasn't WoW, and hope that eventually it would be turned into such a thing. I would just play the original.

I would like to see more players, for sure. I want DDO to be around for a while, because I love the game, quirks and all. I would like to see more players who want to play DDO for what it is, though. I don't want it to turn into a shadow of WoW, overrun by zergers who somehow think that having mounds of platinum and +5 mithral full plate of speed actually means something outside of the game, or by hordes of characters who are little more than 'bots, running macro after macro to farm items and money.

Oi, this is getting OT....

adamkatt
12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I really hate that "Commercial Free" tag combined with "Brought to you by..." which means it really isn't commercial free as you just endured one.:D

Oh well i just dload them anyways to get past all the talking quickly..

Attomic
12-11-2007, 06:09 AM
WOW is a bad game compared to DDO

but, it has a lot more players

it is smart to advertise during the UFC as the main demographic for that nonsense is probably 13 to 35 male

lost of potential MMO players are watching the UFC

Think about the demographics... then think about when they would air a commercial advertising crack. Coincidence? I think not. :D