PDA

View Full Version : Reflection on DDO Communication

Mearamar
12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I have a great idea.. Why don’t you have a forum section or even a thread where we can post our questions about mod six and they are actually answered. I think it would make us all happy considering we actually pay for the game. It seems odd that to get information about a game we pay to play from other site or a live chat. Why can't we just use the forums we have now?

And yes, before some one gives me a list of reason.. I completely understand the thinking behind it. The idea of a press relations and all that.. I just think that the devs should list the information they are willing to share with others website with the paying DDO community first.

Yes.. more than the weekly development notes. I want a list of long term plans.
Heck, if typing it is too much.. Create dev podcast.. You just have to talk about it. I am just tired of the devs being so hush-hush.. I am not 4 years old.. Why all the secrecy?

I also understand that the devs don't want to talk about things and then they not work out. Well, I am not 4 years old. I am not going to throw a fit. For example, a producer announced that we would have monks in mid to late 2007 in early 2007. The keep saying they are coming then I read in another "chat" post on another site that they are planning them for mid to late 2008. Why am I hearing this from another site. I am not upset about the push back. I just want to be treated like an adult. Tell us when things are being pushed back. You can prevent most of this backlash from the player community f you just keep us informed.

Make an official post that we can have reasonable and consistent updates. Where the players can ask questions and they are given a real answer not a "YARK..YARK".. like we get from some devs.. I like the personality.. Don’t get me wrong, I would just like more.

And not this is not a rant. I am content with the game. I just think communication to the players could be increased.

Impaqt
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
You give the majority of forum users way too much credit.... Most people absolutely do hold missed deadlines againast Turbine and are more than willing to voice their displeasure.

WHile I concurr that the devs realy need to work on thier community relations, Assuming people wont rip them apart when they miss on targets is pretty silly.

Laith
12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
developers will never be around often enough to keep up with player questions.

Cuz, ya know they're busy... developing.

Mearamar
12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Assuming people wont rip them apart when they miss on targets is pretty silly.

I think it is silly to scale our communications based apon people who are going to gripe about stuff one way or another. I do think that a continually updated post of current projects with general descriptions of what the project is. I do admit there is somthing to the element of surprize, but with continual updates there will be the knowlede of where we stand. I think people are upset at the surprize of the monks not comming on schedule because they were told end of late 2007 early 2008. If they were consistantly updated, and they can see all the things the devs actually have on their plate. Then I think people will be more understanding. The mass od DDO population does not grasp what actually goes into the developmet of the mods. I think it is silly to not inform the community and to underestamate their ability for people to accept changing deadlines when truly informed of the changes.

Mearamar
12-09-2007, 06:21 PM
What do you think ddo?

Memnir
12-09-2007, 06:57 PM
While I agree it'd be a good idea, it'd never ever see the light of day. First of all - if the Devs had wanted to be more forth coming with information before now, they would have been. A new forum would not change that. Secondly, community members here would indeed get bent out of shape if anything conveyed on that forum did not actually happen. Please see the post about Kate Paiz's Gamespot Video Diary from March 07 and the comments there. She said we'd have monks by fall of this year, and people are very upset that the projection was missed. Lastly, the Devs simply have better things to do with their time than to answer every post that was asked to them on a forum.

These are the Devs who slap us with infraction points seemingly arbitrarily, instigated a No Bragging rule form of martial law on the forums, then had to make a forum where bragging was okay when there was backlash against said rule. Simply put: from Mods, to Devs, to Community Members - these forums are not mature enough for such a board.

That's what I think.

neoanderthal
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
While I agree it'd be a good idea, it'd never ever see the light of day. First of all - if the Devs had wanted to be more forth coming with information before now, they would have been. A new forum would not change that. Secondly, community members here would indeed get bent out of shape if anything conveyed on that forum did not actually happen. Please see the post about Kate Paiz's Gamespot Video Diary from March 07 and the comments there. She said we'd have monks by fall of this year, and people are very upset that the projection was missed. Lastly, the Devs simply have better things to do with their time than to answer every post that was asked to them on a forum.

These are the Devs who slap us with infraction points seemingly arbitrarily, instigated a No Bragging rule form of martial law on the forums, then had to make a forum where bragging was okay when there was backlash against said rule. Simply put: from Mods, to Devs, to Community Members - these forums are not mature enough for such a board.

That's what I think.

I agree, sadly. I have to say, with all the ranting about how we're constantly being shortchanged by Turbine for one or two days' outage, and that even though they are going to give everyone a day's credit, whether you played or not, it's not nearly enough to compensate, and on and on and on, I'm surprised the devs and Cust Relations people even take *any* post on the forums seriously.

I'm not saying there haven't been many good points, and good discussions, that have appeared in the forums, but gods, look at the signal-to-noise ratio. Even when I'm bored at work, I still skip most of the new posts, because it's the same old stuff again and again - "Turbine, fix this! Turbine, I want this for free! Turbine, I want WoW! Turbine, more, more more!"

If so many people are so vastly unsatisfied by DDO, why pay? When I'm at a restaurant or pub or anywhere else that I'm expected to pay for a service that that place is to provide, if the service doesn't meet my expectations, I leave. No big scene, nothing. I just leave and spend my money in a place that better suits. I don't have to throw a tantrum to have the pub manager come over and soothe my feathers and make me feel important. I don't even care if the place notices that I left or not. All that matters to me is getting the service that I'm paying for, and if I can't get it one place, I'll find somewhere else to do so.

I don't want to sound like I think DDO should not add new features, or anything of the kind - I'm usually pretty excited to read the dev notes for the upcoming Mod and see what kind of stuff they're going to put into it. It's nice to see what issues are going to be addressed. That doesn't mean there aren't features I'd like to see implemented or fixes applied that don't get addressed - of course there are. But if they were serious enough for me to spend day after day posting the same thing over and over again, I'd drop my account and go somewhere else. What's the big deal? If you don't like it, you shouldn't put up with it.

My point in this semi-OT ramble is that if the forums were a little less hysteria and a little more mature, we might be able to have something like this - a nice discussion place with the devs. It'll never happen with the way the forums are now, though.