PDA

View Full Version : Powerlevel Gap is getting too narrow

GlassCannon
12-07-2007, 03:06 AM
I find it's hard to get groups as it is, mainly for lvl 6-9 now... as those get powerleveled by many a group these days. A lvl 10 might eek on into a lvl 11-13 group for a bit and hope no 14's join... but with the new level cap it will become a bit obscene trying to, as a casual player, level up your sorc 7... or fighter 8... or bard 6.

Pros and cons of widening the gap are expected as follows:
Pros
More parties form, faster and players are at leisure to accept a wider variety of people for their parties
Bored people stop trying to grain XP by soloing in wilderness areas and join a party with an average level 2 over theirs, the highest lvl player 4 levels over, at no penalty
Newbies aren't pressed as firmly into set group types.
Less Bored People!
Cons
Powerlevellers get even more zealous than ever
I don't sit in front of the computer wondering what another reason for not expanding the gap is... to no avail.

sirgog
12-07-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm for this change. Levelling from 6 to 9 is easy if you have a guild, and a nightmare otherwise, as other than Stormcleave and Gwylan, the best XP quests to do at the level (Xorian Cypher, Tempest's Spine and VON1-5) are VERY tough if you have a weak group, especially VON2 and 3.

Levelling from 9 to 10 is easy if you know what to do (go to the Gianthold and do all the level 13 quests and POP once each on normal in a level 9-12 group). If you don't know this, or haven't got the gear/playskill to survive the easier level 13 quests, it's horrid (I remember being level 9 a long time on Charwyn, which was my first character).

From 10 to 11 isn't too hard, and 11 to 14.999 is a breeze.

Also, the changes should be as follows:
Highest level in party compared to yours: %XP awarded:
Equal to 3 levels higher - 100%
4 levels above you - 70%
5 levels above you - 40%
6 or more above you - NO XP awarded.
Making this change would make it far easier to get through the frustrating levels for new players, and would hardly affect experienced players at all.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Also, the changes should be as follows:
Highest level in party compared to yours: %XP awarded:
Equal to 3 levels higher - 100%
4 levels above you - 70%
5 levels above you - 40%
6 or more above you - NO XP awarded.
Making this change would make it far easier to get through the frustrating levels for new players, and would hardly affect experienced players at all.

I think that's a good idea, but we may need a dividing line. Frankly a L1 will basically be useless compared to a L6 char and awarding any xp would be wrong. But the difference between a L14 and a L9 is less significant (although still large). For that reason we might want to use something like the existing system for L1-8 quests and something like your schedule for L9+ quests.

BlueLightBandit
12-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I think that's a good idea, but we may need a dividing line. Frankly a L1 will basically be useless compared to a L6 char and awarding any xp would be wrong. But the difference between a L14 and a L9 is less significant (although still large). For that reason we might want to use something like the existing system for L1-8 quests and something like your schedule for L9+ quests.

Ever put a lvl 1 in a quest with a lvl 10 character? Your xp isn't just halved, it's gone entirely. They have this system in place already.

Waaaay back when, when the cap was level 10, people complained about level 6 and that you could only run Stormcleave or Co6 so many times.

Then they upped the cap to level 12, and getting past level 8 was darn near impossible. I mean, you could only run Threnal or Tempest Spine so many times.

The cap is currently at 14, and level 10 can be tricky because you can only run every quest in the Foothold, every quest in the Desert, every quest in the Gianthold, every quest in Ataraxia and every raid associated with those areas so many times.

Soon, the cap will be 16, and level 12s will be left to run... what? Every high level quest currently in the game?!?

It's tough, sure. But I doubt that a cakewalk from one level to the next would be better.

Arianrhod
12-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I suppose they could go with some arcane formula like using percent of total exp (like anyone with less than 85% of your total exp will be powerleveled). Then the gap would be wider at the higher levels but narrower at the lower ones (I think - not much of a math whiz here)

Mercules
12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
I am opposed. I already hate having a level 10 in a group when I am level 7. It seriously cuts into my XP to have the one level 10. I don't want the level range widened even more. A level 6 compared to a level 10 is not even close in what they can contribute to the party. I like the level ranges where they are for power leveling.

There are "dry" periods of leveling, especially if you don't want to run SC, Gwylan's, Delera's, TR, or such over and over again. Maybe if others would consider running the less traveled quests there would be more of a choice in groups and it wouldn't seem like such a grind. Personally, I'm considering getting GM/Co6 and even more rare quest runs going for some of my mid-ranged characters. It looks like I'll have to lead them though.:rolleyes:

Borror0
12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
While it'd make it easier to group, the gap isn't too narrow. There is a huge difference between a lv 10 and a lv 14!! Less for a melee, but still there is a lot.

binnsr
12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I am opposed. I already hate having a level 10 in a group when I am level 7. It seriously cuts into my XP to have the one level 10. I don't want the level range widened even more. A level 6 compared to a level 10 is not even close in what they can contribute to the party. I like the level ranges where they are for power leveling.

There are "dry" periods of leveling, especially if you don't want to run SC, Gwylan's, Delera's, TR, or such over and over again. Maybe if others would consider running the less traveled quests there would be more of a choice in groups and it wouldn't seem like such a grind. Personally, I'm considering getting GM/Co6 and even more rare quest runs going for some of my mid-ranged characters. It looks like I'll have to lead them though.:rolleyes:

Until they balance the XP (either by reducing the ones mentioned or by increasing XP in the less-run quests), that will never happen. Who would want to run Purge the Heretics for 600xp when they can run RedWillows Ruins in roughly same time and get 2000xp (before bonuses)? Or, to use the StormCleave example, it would take 4 runs of something like The GraveRobber to equal a single SC run.

Samadhi
12-07-2007, 05:38 PM

The less run quests are less run for a reason - either the XP/time or XP/difficulty factor is significantly off from your SC/etc runs. I like 3 barrel cove - boost the XP there and I'll go back when leveling.

Not to derail the thread though. I like expanding the gap in power-leveling for an entirely different reason. Sometimes, I want to play a lvl 7 character, but I also want to play with my online friend that does not have a character with a close level range. The encounter areas were an excellent step in this direction - but there are only so many times I can go to ataraxia.

/singed to the OP

Hafeal
12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I am not sure exactly what you are advocating by your post. I can tell you that I have had little problem with my Fighter right now and , of course, I had no problem with my Cleric.

I simply put up an "lfm" for any quest and I fill up.

In fact, I have been running an experiment with my fighter, run all quests at each level before advancing to the next (all 1s, then all 2s). I run the normal at level, hard at level or +1, and elite at +1 or +2 levels. I am currently 1 xp away from 8th level and I have yet to finish all the 4th level quests on elite and I have finished some 5th level on normal. I have run a few quests at 6th level as well due to opportunity.

I guess I am saying is that I have no problem finding groups and there is plenty of xp to get you through just by running the quests at level. In fact, I find people often are thankful when someone puts up an lfm for a non-staple quest.

maddmatt70
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
It seems that everytime I seriously level up a character (about 1 every 3 months) the twinking is more extreme. If I were a new player or a casual player playing the game with these twinked people would not be fun. Yes, this last character was probably my most twinked character ever as well.

Mercules
12-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Until they balance the XP (either by reducing the ones mentioned or by increasing XP in the less-run quests), that will never happen. Who would want to run Purge the Heretics for 600xp when they can run RedWillows Ruins in roughly same time and get 2000xp (before bonuses)? Or, to use the StormCleave example, it would take 4 runs of something like The GraveRobber to equal a single SC run.

But wait... there is more... In addition to that somewhat limited XP, you also get... absolutely free... this Favor. Save time and energy. Earn your favor while you level so you don't have to go back and grind for more. How many of us have ever encountered this... soloing GraveRobber Hard and Elite for that last bit of favor we need? No more messy soloing... and all you have to do is call now... er... do the less run quests.

I run into these guys who powerlevel by doing the same quest over and over and over, and then they complain when they hit level 11 that they need to go back and do all these quests to get their favor for something. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you that XP should be balanced in a lot of quests. It has come up time and time again. I think if they did that though you might find more people having fun at all levels(because of the increased variety in quests run) and more mid level groups doing anything but SC/Gwylans.

binnsr
12-07-2007, 10:54 PM
But wait... there is more... In addition to that somewhat limited XP, you also get... absolutely free... this Favor. Save time and energy. Earn your favor while you level so you don't have to go back and grind for more. How many of us have ever encountered this... soloing GraveRobber Hard and Elite for that last bit of favor we need? No more messy soloing... and all you have to do is call now... er... do the less run quests.

I run into these guys who powerlevel by doing the same quest over and over and over, and then they complain when they hit level 11 that they need to go back and do all these quests to get their favor for something. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you that XP should be balanced in a lot of quests. It has come up time and time again. I think if they did that though you might find more people having fun at all levels(because of the increased variety in quests run) and more mid level groups doing anything but SC/Gwylans.

I'm actually like you, in that regard.. my favor-ho character only has 3 repetitions of StormCleave (and only on hard at that).. i've very rarely had to do a quest omre than that to cap any of my characters.

As to the balancing, after looking at the spreadsheet of base xp for the mid levels, I think I'll retract the balancing statement.. the shorter quests are much quicker, for less payout .. a good group should be able to do 4 of the smaller ones for the same xp as 1 stormcleave in roughly the same time..