PDA

View Full Version : Devs, I think these need to be looked at...

Ranmaru2
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Dear Turbine,

I am currently signed on and in between attempts, I am posting exactly what is happening to me. You really need to fix/look at/address these issues:

1) Beholder Anti-Magic field activation - When they CAN use it. I the beholder in Prison of the Planes stuck in a web FIVE times, not once or twice, but FIVE times, and during the beholder being stuck, it's still throwing off its anti-magic field. Monsters AND players are NOT supposed to be able to act when stuck in a web, so a beholder chucking off an anti-magic field (taking an action) while stuck SHOULD not be possible. I've had this happen in Invaders and Threnal when doing favor or loot runs, so this isn't a 1 quest occurrence.

ALSO, Beholders aren't supposed to be able to throw off an anti-magic field 20x a round, nor be able to throw off their beams at targets they've opened up their central eye to, so why are your beholders able to Open main eye, causing you to be able to do NOTHING and then throwing whatever ray at you they want while you're getting smashed with repeated anti-magic fields.

1a) Beholder turning speed - When did beholders get bestowed with the speed to move faster than light or even sound? I got hit by Kardin's anti-magic ray when he was moving the OPPOSITE direction from me and then got stuck in my web. It was that split second between Kardin getting stuck in my web that it does a complete 360', activating it's anti-magic field AND THEN turning back around to its initial position that it would have got stuck in the web in.

1b) Do beholder's hindquarters count as a solid object through which they can't throw off their Anti-Magic field, as I've noticed with the Doomsphere, plenty of moments that I've been hit by an anti-magic field while BEHIND the beholder. I went up to look at the beholder, and noticed that the beholder has TWO Irises one on BOTH sides of the eye, so which of these is the true eye that the Doomsphere can activate, and is this the same model for every beholder and thus making the back of the beholder a useless object as it can somehow activate that eye on the back of its eye to hit you with a rear Anti-Magic Field?

2) Princess Aurelia is hitting me with her Overrun ability from the length of a Jarilith away (as there were literally, both Jariliths parallel to each other in front of her when she hit me with it). What is the hit radius/aura of this attack, a paladin's aura? I find it absurd that I'm getting hit by Aurelia's overrun while 1) Jumping, 2) Running away from her (hasted too mind you), and 3) a Jarilith's distance away. Am I missing something here, as the Demon Queen herself doesn't even hit you with overrun when you're running away, nor (in-game) 5 feet away (I neglect the jumping comment in the DQ's case because it does not seem there is any sort of 3-d in this game..but I'll address that later). Is there something here where Princess Aurelia's coding is way different for her Overrun ability?

3) Random Number Generator - Your script for your random generator is as faulty as Windows 98 on its first demonstration. How "random" is 75% of every failure in 20 mind blasts a ONE? In fact I'll include another # sample with a thing called Warforged spell failure (5%) with 30 spells cast:
97, 77, 63, 44, 85, 69, 74, 54, 68, 49, 53, 46, 11, 80, 64, 23, 9, 49, 67, 42, 10, 73, 95, 88, 48, 43, 37, 41, 82, 6.

1-10: 3
11-20: 1
21-30: 1
31-40: 1
41-50: 8
51-60: 2
61-70: 5
71-80: 4
81-90: 3
91-100: 2
------------
Total: 30

I'll conduct the test again, this time with 50 spells, just so we have another sample of Numbers as well (same spell failure):
56, 90, 27, 75, 33, 11, 56, 52, 36, 56, 28, 20, 9, 84, 76, 50 (16)
51, 9, 43, 73, 35, 4, 43, 29, 66, 24, 12, 35, 94, 91, 42, 92 (16)
87, 77, 25, 36, 21, 55, 77, 85, 79, 95, 76, 25, 18, 52, 77, 6, 79, 69 (18)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 50

1-10: 4
11-20: 4
21-30: 7
31-40: 5
41-50: 4
51-60: 7
61-70: 2
71-80: 9
81-90: 4
91-100: 4
------------
Total: 50

Perhaps someone more mathematically able can explain this one, but I thought I'd put it out there.

4) Why isn't there any semblance of 3-D in this game, except with a few traps, and maybe the occasional spell/attack being dodged via a jump, but more often than not, there isn't. I bring this up because of places like in the Twilight Forge, with the blade trap after all of the Gunners (The gunners can be jumped), yet blades setup on the bottom portion of a wall can't be jumped, still hitting you if you clear from one side to the other, with the hit coming at the highest possible point in your jump. Explain this one to me? Some traps you have no hope of jumping and taking no damage, but blades popping up from the ground can be jumped if executed at the right moment. Some attacks can be jumped, yet a kobold swinging a stick at you can't be jumped no matter how high you get. The Demon Queen's Blade Barriers that fly over her platform can be completely jumped over (I've jumped from before one got to me to clearing the otherside completely), yet I get hit. I jump over a "normal" Blade Barrier's wall trying to land in the middle, I get hit. Yet a trap can be jumped, even if it's a cone of cold and you're jumping over the absolute end of it.

5) Enemies being able to swing with their Hit Arc moving with them, yet ours are stationary - I don't think this needs a whole lot of explanation on my part, as there were plenty of threads about this subject, and I even conducted a test where the only time I could hit monsters was if they were right next to me or I was right up on their bum while chasing after them, and even the latter had a 50% no-hit registration to it.

6) Enemy Movement speed versus ours - I'm completely hasted and yet I can't catch a hobgoblin, an Ogre, an Earth Elemental, a Fire Elemental, a Dwarf, or an Elf..how does this make sense? I realize some monsters cast haste, but how about the ones that aren't hasted, yet there's no hope for you to catch them? Why are they moving so quickly, while we're stuck like slugs behind them?

These are only a few of the issues I can think of right now, but I think they are important and need some attention.

MysticTheurge
12-06-2007, 05:28 PM
1) Beholder Anti-Magic field activation - When they CAN use it.

A beholder's anti-magic field is a function of it's central eye. If the eye is open, the field is out there.

In DDO, they don't close their eyes, so they're always on.

ALSO, Beholders aren't supposed to be able to throw off an anti-magic field 20x a round, nor be able to throw off their beams at targets they've opened up their central eye to, so why are your beholders able to Open main eye, causing you to be able to do NOTHING and then throwing whatever ray at you they want while you're getting smashed with repeated anti-magic fields.

These are long-standing beholder issues. Add in the whole "Anti-magic suppresses, but does not dispel, effects with a duration" and you've about covered the standard beholder complaint.

1a) Beholder turning speed

Well, they do have perfect maneuverability, so they can turn as fast, if not faster, than you.

Do beholder's hindquarters count as a solid object through which they can't throw off their Anti-Magic field, as I've noticed with the Doomsphere, plenty of moments that I've been hit by an anti-magic field while BEHIND the beholder. I went up to look at the beholder, and noticed that the beholder has TWO Irises one on BOTH sides of the eye, so which of these is the true eye that the Doomsphere can activate, and is this the same model for every beholder and thus making the back of the beholder a useless object as it can somehow activate that eye on the back of its eye to hit you with a rear Anti-Magic Field?

In theory, no part of a Doomsphere is a solid object. ;)

That said, I don't think even that beholder ought to be throwing anti-magic behind itself. But then, I haven't read up on my Doomsphere rules in a while.

2) Princess Aurelia is hitting me with her Overrun ability from the length of a Jarilith away

This is probably client-server latency or whatever. The client thought she was that far away, the server thought she'd hit you.

Random Number Generator

Yeah, they're a *****.

Why isn't there any semblance of 3-D in this game

You actually sound frustrated that there isn't a more consistent implementation of the 3rd dimension. Which is understandable.

But there is a semblance of 3D in the game. There are things you can go over, or under (for example it's pretty hard to hit scorpions with soundburst since they can pretty easily end up under the AoE, which is annoying).

Enemies being able to swing with their Hit Arc moving with them, yet ours are stationary

Yeah, they need to look into this. It was just recently that we think we figured out why it's happening, so maybe they're looking into it.

Enemy Movement speed versus ours

Well, to be fair, they've relaxed the rules on our movement speeds too (no penalties for halflings/dwarves, no penalty for medium/heavy armor), but yeah, in generally, there should be some things that you can readily run away from.

Ranmaru2
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
If the central eye is open all the time, how the hell are they firing in front of them then, when they aren't supposed to be able to fire into an anti-magic field?? (begging the question already stated, but it is bull...)

I'm not sure if it was Client-Latency, MT, the Jariliths were in front of the Princess the whole time, as it happened on 5 different occasions, as both of the kitties were in front and she was forced to stop. Also, Beholders may have perfect maneuverability, but I doubt they can turn 180-360' in less than a millisecond and then back around again or even in machine gun fashion like the Doomsphere does in Ghosts.

MysticTheurge
12-07-2007, 05:37 PM
If the central eye is open all the time, how the hell are they firing in front of them then, when they aren't supposed to be able to fire into an anti-magic field?? (begging the question already stated, but it is bull...)

Right. Long-standing beholder gripe. Totally valid too.

I'm not sure if it was Client-Latency, MT, the Jariliths were in front of the Princess the whole time, as it happened on 5 different occasions, as both of the kitties were in front and she was forced to stop.

That one was just my best guess. It's possible she's got something like reach.

Also, Beholders may have perfect maneuverability, but I doubt they can turn 180-360' in less than a millisecond and then back around again or even in machine gun fashion like the Doomsphere does in Ghosts.

Yeah, they shouldn't be able to insta-turn (even though you can in the D&D rules), just like we can't insta-turn. But they should be able to turn pretty quick.

That said, I think this is a problem/bug with all monsters. They seem to be able to instantly face whatever direction they want to.

Ranmaru2
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Also, on the Princess Aurelia thing, I never had this issue with the Demon Queen in the Pre-raid or the raid, with the 20 times I've run the DQ Preraid and the 10 times I've bothered to do the DQ raid (Sometimes I ran the Preraid and wasn't ready, just to help out friends :D ), so I wonder why it's just her...

ChaosTheEternal
12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
... just like we can't insta-turn.If you're using your mouse, you can.

Strakeln
12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Regarding the math: I suspect DDO uses multiple dice to determine most rolls (including d100), plus a little bit of fudging. This creates a bell-curve distribution, the end result being that the distibution is not equal across the board. The simplest way to see this is rolling 2d6. Many would say that six would be the most common result, but in reality it is seven, due to several factors:

1) We're not talking about outcomes of 1-12 or 0-12, we're talking about 2-12 (minimum roll is a 2). So the average roll should be (((12-2)/2) + 2) = 7.
2) There are more combinations of "seven" than any other number:

Outcome ................. #of combinations resulting in that outcome
0 ....................... 0
1 ....................... 0
2 ....................... 1 ..
3 ....................... 2 ....
4 ....................... 3 ......
5 ....................... 4 ........
6 ....................... 5 ..........
7 ....................... 6 ............
8 ....................... 5 ..........
9 ....................... 4 ........
10 ...................... 3 ......
11 ...................... 2 ....
12 ...................... 1 ..

I also suspect there is some level of roll fudging going on... I know I've seen threads suggesting this too.

hennebux
12-07-2007, 08:03 PM
It may be ludicrous...but on chests I would suggest the calculator goes something like this...
1d10 for level
minus the percentage of kills you didn't get...
plus your class specific modifier for certain items
plus the difficulty if applicable
minus repetition negative
and then add a random scale from low numeral to high...
with the percentage equal to 100 and then the roll...

either way it is a bell... just my 2cp

Mercules
12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
It may be ludicrous...but on chests I would suggest the calculator goes something like this...
1d10 for level
minus the percentage of kills you didn't get...
plus your class specific modifier for certain items
plus the difficulty if applicable
minus repetition negative
and then add a random scale from low numeral to high...
with the percentage equal to 100 and then the roll...

either way it is a bell... just my 2cp

Um... EXCUSE me?!?:confused:

Yeah, lets give idiots another reason to compete for kill count. :p