PDA

View Full Version : Devs - Halfing's Hero's Companion

Thrudh
12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
This actually a very neat enhancement that I don't think very many people are aware of.. It allows you to give a fairly powerful 20 sec boost to another character (but not yourself).

I have Hero's Companion II right now which gives +3 to saves and damage, and +2 to attack... stacks with everything as far as I can tell. I love using it on the main fighter right before a big fight.

I can't wait for Hero's Companion IV which gives +5 to saves(!!) and damage, +4 to attack, and +3 to AC.

However, most people don't even know about this enhancement. I've been trying to explain it in the PUGs that I run in, so more people know about it...

See... the problem is... the range is VERY short... I really have to be standing right next to the person for it to work... And it takes a while to activate.. so I end up wasting the boost at least 50% of the time, because the other player moves - "So and So is too far away". The only time it really works is when we're all waiting for a door to open... I definitely can't activate it in the middle of a fight..

Devs, can you please increase the range or make the activation very quick so I can use this boost more often... Thanks

arminius
12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I tried it for a while. The range thing blew it for me.

In addition, the opinions on the forums at the time were that the bonuses do NOT stack. Which if true would have made it completely pointless, so I changed it out asap.

I never got any final confirmation as to whether it stacked or not. One could arrange a test with another person, but the range problem made it so it just wasn't worth bothering.

You are right, it had great potential.

_

BUpcott
12-05-2007, 01:15 PM
/agree would make this more appealing!

Talon_Moonshadow
12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I tried it briefly with a friend of mine.....but even though he was a close friend, I had trouble finding the specifics of what it did, and therefore whether it was worth it or not.

The short time thing turned me off to it as well as the short range.

Also most PUGs just don't work well together. Even good players don't coordinate well most of the time.

Qzipoun
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't think this enhancement will ever be common amongst the average player simply because it is not something that helps your own character in any way. Most people will choose to increase their own saves or get some other enhancement instead of this.

That said, it is a very nice enhancement to have in a well organized group. If they make it have a longer range I can see people using it more, right now you have to tell the person to stand next to you, which many pugs do not tend to do very well :)

Eladrin
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll look into bumping up the range from "near" to "normal".

Grizzt14
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Ya this used to be one of my fav enhancements for halfings, it was just the short range of effect that killed it most of the time, which got annoying because it was it was a big help to one of the primary tanks in the group.

With the change though, it would become a lot better, and would work more often :D

Mhykke
12-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Thank you!

dragonoffrost
12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I actually have one level of this on a halfing cleric I run and he used it Last Night to help a fighter save vs. flesh to stone. Need I say I can still see uses for it and will keep it. It's not a great help but at times it might be a good thing to click. and for 1 AP it's not that hindering to my build.

Thrudh
12-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Many thanks for looking into it!!

BUpcott
12-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the response!

Twerpp
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Ooh cool, I specced this once but range was too poor. I would like to see a halfling melee weapon enhancement. Shortswords/daggers/kukris those are all pretty in character and none are considered overpowered I think. The poor availability and mechanics of throwers even if you are a ranger make thrower enhancement near useless.

Beherit_Baphomar
12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Ya this used to be one of my fav enhancements for halfings, it was just the short range of effect that killed it most of the time, which got annoying because it was it was a big help to one of the primary tanks in the group.

With the change though, it would become a lot better, and would work more often :D

I demand you get the full line of this enhancement and follow Eyern around like a little puppydog.

Aesop
12-05-2007, 04:50 PM
The question is do you have to be standing still to use it? If like Bard Buffs you can move while using it I think that would help a bit.

ALso yes the range thing would be nice

Aesop

tihocan
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Finally, thanks!!!

tihocan
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
The question is do you have to be standing still to use it? If like Bard Buffs you can move while using it I think that would help a bit.
You can move when using it, but in slow "casting" mode. In numerous occasions I tried to cast it while running next to someone else, and by the time the casting animation was finished, my target had run out of range (even though I was running in the same direction).

Grizzt14
12-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I demand you get the full line of this enhancement and follow Eyern around like a little puppydog.

i'll give it a try in a guild run soon :D

MysticTheurge
12-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Nice!

DaveyCrockett
12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I can't remember if the duration scales with the higher levels of the enhancement. If not, can this be done as well?

Serpent
12-07-2007, 07:50 AM

'It takes THREE seconds to cast Hero's Companion, which lasts for only 20 sec. The value of the friend being buffed is rarely enough to outweigh the amount of attacks or spells the halfling gave up to activate it. This is an action boost, and all action boosts should have an ultra-short casting time'

And furthermore, you can give him the PS that all Action Boosts should have the delay removed, so you don't need to wait to start fighting again after turning it on. Thats just a reminder to him.

GlassCannon
12-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I can't remember if the duration scales with the higher levels of the enhancement. If not, can this be done as well?

No, it doesn't, and I SURE AS HECK WISH IT DID.