PDA

View Full Version : Idea for players with two accounts...

Gum
12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
How about having a toggle button on your character selection screen-main/original account that says switch accounts. When you click on this button a pop up login Username/Password box comes up and you enter your info for your other account, then it just switches right over. When your ready to switch back, you use the same button. Kinda like a mini login screen on your character selection screen. You know, the one that list all of your characters and has the create button and all. This way when you need to switch accounts, you don't have to alt F4 out and reload the game again. You just toggle back and forth with your username/password. Could this be done?

Impaqt
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Wy would you need to ALt F4 to shut your game down? Just quit....

Mayeb my PC spoils me, but how long does it really take to load the game up? for me its like 15-20 seconds.... Hadly seems worth dev time for the few peole that have multiple accounts.

binnsr
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Wy would you need to ALt F4 to shut your game down? Just quit....

Mayeb my PC spoils me, but how long does it really take to load the game up? for me its like 15-20 seconds.... Hadly seems worth dev time for the few peole that have multiple accounts.

I've got a pretty decent rig* and it typically takes me one to two full minutes to completely launch the game and be ready to select a character. My hard disks are always optimized as I use diskeeper in screensaver mode to ensure that they're always defragged (I still do a manual defrag after installing or updating a game). I did notice that the game load time nearly doubled after the server merges - still talking about game load-time not character load-time (thats completely dependant on the zone and time of day that I'm loading in).

I don't have 2 accounts, but can see how folks with multiple accounts would appreciate something like this. I also would agree that it shouldn't be a huge priority, but typically the folks working on connection/authentication/etc. aren't the ones doing mobs (Eladrin), quests (TRD) or game-tech (Codog).

* if it matters, my gaming rig = AMD Opteron 170@2.5GHz, geForce 7800gtx, dual channel 2gb pc3500 RAM, 2x SATA3 hard disks (one for OS, one for games).

neoanderthal
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I've got a pretty decent rig* and it typically takes me one to two full minutes to completely launch the game and be ready to select a character. My hard disks are always optimized as I use diskeeper in screensaver mode to ensure that they're always defragged (I still do a manual defrag after installing or updating a game). I did notice that the game load time nearly doubled after the server merges - still talking about game load-time not character load-time (thats completely dependant on the zone and time of day that I'm loading in).

I don't have 2 accounts, but can see how folks with multiple accounts would appreciate something like this. I also would agree that it shouldn't be a huge priority, but typically the folks working on connection/authentication/etc. aren't the ones doing mobs (Eladrin), quests (TRD) or game-tech (Codog).

* if it matters, my gaming rig = AMD Opteron 170@2.5GHz, geForce 7800gtx, dual channel 2gb pc3500 RAM, 2x SATA3 hard disks (one for OS, one for games).

Ouch! i think my g/f's machine (Athlon64x2 5600+, 2GB DDR2 dual-channel PC-6400, 1 x 160GB SATA2) seriously can go from cold-boot to DDO login in less than 2 minutes. Maybe it has to do with your network latency? I'm fortunate enough to have a cable connection in a neighborhood where people have cable for TV, not 'net access. I could see latency being a problem as your client picks up the server status, transfers the lists of characters for your account, checks for patches, etc.

Arnya
12-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Wow, I have a sony vaio laptop with integrated graphics and 1.5Gb RAM total. It takes a minute on a bad day to load in, and maybe 25-30 secs extra if I logged outside a tavern instance.

I experience lag only when others mention it also.

Oh, and I live in New Zealand so latency couldn't really get worse. Maybe Scott base in Antarctica...

I don't understand the need for these powerful machines, honestly!

binnsr
12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I timed my load time tonight and it was 1:15 from double-click to character selection, so maybe it only seems like it takes forever :D

My Cable speeds are 6144 /465 with a 32ms latency (from my home in Kansas City to the dslreports SpeakEasy server in NY), which is about average for me.

To Arnya: My laptop can run DDO (and I have used it before on business trips :D) but not at near the resolutions that my desktop can run - 1024x900 on medium graphic settings vs. 1600x1200 with all the eye-candy turned on.

lostinjapan
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
While I agree that some people do not have long delays loading in, having played on a slow (3 year old) laptop when I first started I can definitely say you are the lucky ones - and it wasn't latency (I have fiber and my newer computers load the game just fine). Having two accounts and having knowledge of the long delays some machines can have (as well as slower connections), I have to agree with the OP.

It would make far more sense for the account selection to be on the main screen instead of requiring you to re-log into the game every time since they are tied to the same account information.

Lorien_the_First_One
12-05-2007, 06:10 AM
You people with new and/or gamers computers are spoiled lol... Some of us have 5 year old computers built for word processing and spreadsheets.

kingzero
12-05-2007, 06:18 AM
there is a way around all of this

a simple fix...

I really don't think the powers that be would like me posting it though....

can you say u-lah?

dee-dah

Gum
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
there is a way around all of this

a simple fix...

I really don't think the powers that be would like me posting it though....

can you say u-lah?

dee-dah

LoL..Ummm...what?

jmelanie7
12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
How about having a toggle button on your character selection screen-main/original account that says switch accounts. When you click on this button a pop up login Username/Password box comes up and you enter your info for your other account, then it just switches right over. When your ready to switch back, you use the same button. Kinda like a mini login screen on your character selection screen. You know, the one that list all of your characters and has the create button and all. This way when you need to switch accounts, you don't have to alt F4 out and reload the game again. You just toggle back and forth with your username/password. Could this be done?

Well.....if you think you lose ALOT of gaming time, then you should relax a bit and watch a movie... ;)

Brutous
12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Solid State Drives may be the way of the future for faster gaming-

GrayOldDruid
12-05-2007, 10:43 AM

I would like to see a "Switch Servers" option instead of having to quit and reload the game... sure, there is not a lot of time loss, but a total restart of the game just to switch servers? No big deal, but yes, its a "would not mind seeing"