PDA

View Full Version : This might be good for a chuckle

GuitarHero
12-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Hey, Mr. Developer guy. Do me a favor. Ok, first, grab a stopwatch. Now, log onto DDO and open a door in a quest. Be sure to time it. Now, walk up to the door in your office. Imagine you are a 7 foot tall hunk of living metal and wood, carrying a 16 pound flaming axe, and you are more angry than you have ever been in your life. Now open that door. Again, don't forget to time it. Notice some discrepancies?

sirgog
12-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Hey, Mr. Developer guy. Do me a favor. Ok, first, grab a stopwatch. Now, log onto DDO and open a door in a quest. Be sure to time it. Now, walk up to the door in your office. Imagine you are a 7 foot tall hunk of living metal and wood, carrying a 16 pound flaming axe, and you are more angry than you have ever been in your life. Now open that door. Again, don't forget to time it. Notice some discrepancies?

I tried it in my house.

DDO: 4 seconds.

My front door: 2 seconds to undo deadlock, 1 second to imagine myself angry, carrying an axe that's been doused in metho, 1 second chuckling, 1 second opening the door. 5 seconds total.

Yep, seems realistic that a 7 foot tall STR32 character in a rage can do it faster than me.

/chuckles

Lorien_the_First_One
12-03-2007, 07:32 AM

Sorry GH, but whats your point?

GuitarHero
12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Sorry GH, but whats your point?

nothin' major, i know. it just kinda grabbed me when i was doin' tangleroot the other day. The door after that first shrine, the really flimsy looking double doors. I looked at the door, and i looked at the beefy warforged standing next to me, and wondered why i was being all nice and opening the door the long way. I mean, a firm kick and the door looks like it'd fall of its hinges, (and yeah, i've kicked a few doors off their hinges). I'm not trying to declare that this become a major issue, just something that if a developer gets bored, he might go grab a stopwatch and time it.

Laith
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
just because you're breaking into someone's house, killing their friends, and taking their stuff doesn't mean you shouldn't respect their property ;)

llevenbaxx
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
just because you're breaking into someone's house, killing their friends, and taking their stuff doesn't mean you shouldn't respect their property ;)

Now thats worth a laugh.:D Nice.

binnsr
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM

I respect their property .. I even check all the boxes to make sure that they're sound storage units.

side note: i haven't found a single crate or barrel in this game that didn't break during 'inspection' - maybe the mobs should get a new crate-n-barrel supplier :D

Laith
12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I respect their property .. I even check all the boxes to make sure that they're sound storage units.

side note: i haven't found a single crate or barrel in this game that didn't break during 'inspection' - maybe the mobs should get a new crate-n-barrel supplier :D
hahaha

another note though: while the containers may fail inspection, they always fail safely. I've never, for example, witnessed a broken or damaged potion, arrow, or suit of armor upon storage unit failure (no matter the level of violence executed during testing). This may indeed hint at magical precautions not originally considered.

GuitarHero
12-03-2007, 12:09 PM
hahaha

another note though: while the containers may fail inspection, they always fail safely. I've never, for example, witnessed a broken or damaged potion, arrow, or suit of armor upon storage unit failure (no matter the level of violence executed during testing). This may indeed hint at magical precautions not originally considered.

also, they seem to be constructed similarly to automotive safety glass. I've hit them bare fisted and never recieved a splinter, and there is never any dangerous debris littering up the area. Perhaps doors could be constructed of simliar material, allowing a quick shove and we're back in the action. Come on, its called "Kick in the door" style of gameplay for a reason. Its not, "calmly twist the door handle, and slowly open the door because its the polite thing to do when you plan on killing everything thats in this next room" style of gameplay.

binnsr
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Come on, its called "Kick in the door" style of gameplay for a reason. Its not, "calmly twist the door handle, and slowly open the door because its the polite thing to do when you plan on killing everything thats in this next room" style of gameplay.

Thats exactly why i love knocking down Str-based doors with a fireball :)

Yvonne_Blacksword
12-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I think I got hit so had once I swallowed an arrow..
Well...I got the message saying the arrow was destroyed...
Felt like I swallowed it.

transtemporal
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, bring on the fully interactive/destroyable enviroments. Oh baby. Red Faction was an awful game but was fun simply for the fact of being able to destroy stuff. Half life 2 was good for the gravity gun and the smashing windows. Basically anything you can smash. :D

Litz
12-03-2007, 07:01 PM
A WF wouldn't bother to open a door just go through it..

GuitarHero
12-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, bring on the fully interactive/destroyable enviroments. Oh baby. Red Faction was an awful game but was fun simply for the fact of being able to destroy stuff. Half life 2 was good for the gravity gun and the smashing windows. Basically anything you can smash. :D

Red Faction was a fun game. Your not the "hero" so much as a guy that saw a gun lying on the ground at about the same point some dude started shooting at him.

But that aside, a fully destructable environment would cause way too much server lag, so it wouldn't be quite as fun as you think. Just speeding up that door animation from the "fiddling with something for a few seconds" to a "swift kick" animation would make me happy.

GlassCannon
12-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Red Faction was the only game to ever crash a PS2 on sheer physics alone. That's NOT easy to do, but I did it!(Hint: Cheat codes: Infinite ammo, invincibility). Can you imagine if a bit of physics a single person modifying can crash a 128 bit system designed for gaming geometry, what 12 people tearing a large area apart could do? Talk about unplayable...

Yeah, I break stuff for fun... using it as intended. I test limits and make them break so they can be made better.

HL2 was also designed mainly for single player campaigning and had a better physics engine... and took more time to make. HL2 probably couldn't handle some parts of DDO without breaking though.

BlueLightBandit
12-04-2007, 07:03 AM
i haven't found a single crate or barrel in this game that didn't break during 'inspection' - maybe the mobs should get a new crate-n-barrel supplier :D

Great, I can just see it now...

Greeting good mob have quickly deal for you. Use special code for discount item and plats. Hurrie to improve life with ever power level service, now offer red named immunitie. Website service for greater deal on crate up every server. 24 7 quickly transactions on barrels, must use code for best prices.

Glenalth
12-04-2007, 01:40 PM
also, they seem to be constructed similarly to automotive safety glass. I've hit them bare fisted and never recieved a splinter, and there is never any dangerous debris littering up the area. Perhaps doors could be constructed of simliar material, allowing a quick shove and we're back in the action. Come on, its called "Kick in the door" style of gameplay for a reason. Its not, "calmly twist the door handle, and slowly open the door because its the polite thing to do when you plan on killing everything thats in this next room" style of gameplay.

Well, there is one defective crate in Euphonia's Challenge.

GuitarHero
12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, there is one defective crate in Euphonia's Challenge.

yeah, but i can never seem to get through that quest. Danged conjured spiders.

Now, if i could only find a healer and two rogues with a high pick locks...

transtemporal
12-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Red Faction was the only game to ever crash a PS2 on sheer physics alone. That's NOT easy to do, but I did it!(Hint: Cheat codes: Infinite ammo, invincibility). Can you imagine if a bit of physics a single person modifying can crash a 128 bit system designed for gaming geometry, what 12 people tearing a large area apart could do? Talk about unplayable...

Yeah, I break stuff for fun... using it as intended. I test limits and make them break so they can be made better.

HL2 was also designed mainly for single player campaigning and had a better physics engine... and took more time to make. HL2 probably couldn't handle some parts of DDO without breaking though.

Exactly. This is in my ideal future where the environment is interactive and good-looking as Assassins Creed and destructible as Red Faction... with no lag... Mmmmmm. :)

If you haven't played Assassins Creed on the PS3 by the way, go and get it. Its amazing. You'll find yourself thinking, "it would be cool if DDO looked like that". Rogues would be very happy. :)