PDA

View Full Version : Spell Effectiveness Measure

REKCEDER
12-02-2007, 09:49 AM
One thing I would like to see is an accumulated percentage increase in the effectiveness of my spellcasting. Sort of like the way on each spell my arcane armor failure chance is tabulated. It would be nice if another line on that spell told me my "benefits".

For example, as a Cleric I have taken several enhancements to increase the healing spells. I also wear a couple of items. When I mouse-over the CLW spell I would like it to give my total percentage improvement. Further, on my arcane caster I have taken a variety of spell penetration enhancements, I carry a staff that also bonuses this and I can heighten certain spells. With all equipped and toggled it would be nice if I mouse-over a spell I get some note of the effectiveness. I understand these are difficult, however, the individual calculations are already being handled for arcane armor failure so I'm not sure the routines couldn't be nestled in there someplace!

Love the game just would like a handy tool to be able to gauge my effectiveness!

Now, If this exists and I've just managed to miss it maybe someone here can tell me.

Caiphus of Crestwycke Clr12 Sarlona
Mazlyn of Crestwycke Wiz8/Sor1 Sarlona

Mad_Bombardier
12-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Spell mouseovers now list the Spell DC (eg., 19 Will save) And when you equip a Potency item, you see a note in the combat log. But, that's all we get. I agree and would like to see more info.

MysticTheurge
12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Spell mouseovers now list the Spell DC (eg., 19 Will save) And when you equip a Potency item, you see a note in the combat log. But, that's all we get. I agree and would like to see more info.

I think he's suggesting that spell mouseovers would list a percentage increase in effectiveness, where applicable. I'd agree, and actually like to see them list critical information too.

So if I have Elemental Manipulation IV, Lineage of Elements III and Lineage of Deadly Elements III, when I mousover Fireball it tells me it's going to do 140% damage and has a 9% chance to critical for 2.25x damage.

Then when I hold items that affect it, the numbers change appropriately.

Affront
12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I too would appreciate this. It would provide a much better way to determine what combination of items would provide me with the most effective spell use. Other than getting out excel and keeping track of my inventory and their spell effects (something that I haven't done and am loth to do).

Cheers.

Mad_Bombardier
12-02-2007, 10:58 AM
I think he's suggesting that spell mouseovers would list a percentage increase in effectiveness, where applicable. I'd agree, and actually like to see them list critical information too.

So if I have Elemental Manipulation IV, Lineage of Elements III and Lineage of Deadly Elements III, when I mousover Fireball it tells me it's going to do 140% damage and has a 9% chance to critical for 2.25x damage.

Then when I hold items that affect it, the numbers change appropriately.Yup, I totally agree. :) It would probably take a whole new tab in the character sheet (with stats and bio), but would be totally worth it.

MysticTheurge
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
It would probably take a whole new tab in the character sheet (with stats and bio), but would be totally worth it.

Nah. Just display it when you mouseover a spell on the tooltip for the spell.

Mad_Bombardier
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Nah. Just display it when you mouseover a spell on the tooltip for the spell.I dunno, I think that's too much type for a mouseover. I was going to suggest putting it in the attack info on the Inventory page replacing to-hit/dmg for scepter. But, there are many other items that boost spells. I'd like to see a listing for all enhancement boostable spell types. They could use the Resist Energy icons for some:

[Acid] x1.5 9% x1.75
[Cold] x1.9 18% x2.5
[Fire] x1.9 18% x2.75
[Elect] x1.5 9% x1.75
[Force] x1.6 9% x1.75
[Repair] x1.6 9% x1.75
[Other] x1.5 9% x1.75

The Cleric's listing would be:

[Positive]
[Negative]
[Alignment]
[Light]
[Other]

But, then you get confusion if your Cleric is using a Combustion ring to boost his Flamestrike. It's different from [other], so needs to also be listed. Maybe just list an icon and numbers for all boostable spell types for all characters.

MysticTheurge
12-02-2007, 11:23 AM
But, then you get confusion if your Cleric is using a Combustion ring to boost his Flamestrike.

Which is why I think it really needs to be on the spell tooltip.

It would also help people understand which spells are affected by which things, since they could just check right there.

Mad_Bombardier
12-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Which is why I think it really needs to be on the spell tooltip.

It would also help people understand which spells are affected by which things, since they could just check right there.Have you seen the mouseover tooltips? They're already huge. I can't see squeezing in a single line for x1.9 18% x2.75, let alone an explanation of where those bonuses come from.