PDA

View Full Version : Service Outage Update

Marketroid
11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello Everyone,

On behalf of the entire staff at Turbine we would like to apologize for yesterday’s extended downtime. The outage was a unique occurrence involving a combination of the hardware and software that supports our login servers and other related web services. This problem prevented players from successfully logging into the games, although the game servers themselves were unaffected and remained up.

Please rest assured that we worked hard to bring the service back online as quickly as possible. The team tasked with resolving the issues pulled out all the stops and worked nonstop day and night to bring the service back online.

Despite our best efforts, we could not avoid a lengthy downtime. We’re already working with our vendors to review the process and technology issues that contributed to the outage, and are collectively making immediate changes to prevent this type of incident.

While we can’t give you Monday back, we hope to ease the frustration many of you felt by extending your playtime. Additionally, affected players will receive an in-game gift to show our appreciation for your patience during the downtime:

For all players who had an active subscription on 11/26/2007 to any Turbine game, we will automatically extend your current billing period by one day. Your new billing date will be reflected at myaccount.turbine.com after the change takes effect.
Dungeons and Dragons Online™ players will receive a Candy Cane for every character on their account. This is an item with 30 charges of Heal Moderate and is usable at any level.
The Lord of the Rings Online™ players will be given a stack of five Scented Candles for each character on their account. These items are single-use consumables that provide a temporary increase to Hope.
For Asheron’s Call® players we are pleased to announce a Bonus Loot Weekend with a special improvement to the normal loot distribution for a limited time.At Turbine, we remain focused on providing the best possible service to our subscribers. Players who wish to give us specific feedback on the issue and how we handled it may send an e-mail to turbinesupportexperience@turbine.com. We welcome your comments.

Thanks to each of you and we’ll see you soon in Stormreach, Eriador, and Dereth!

Please note: Special items and game time will be applied during the month of December.

Rowanheal
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I am going to be styling for the holidays with my CANDY CANE... A girl loves her accessories. Do they come in a PINK and WHITE Swirl?

Seriously, thank you. A well written message with a wonderful thought behind it.

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Hendrik
Thank you for the info on what happened and corrective steps taken to avoid it in the future!

And thank you for the surprise gift!

:)

totmacher
Thanks for the follow-up and free Candy Cane but you're forgetting something...

The Warforged!!
Candy Canes are useless to us!!
Instead I suggest high-performance motor oil. In addition to keeping your local Warforged population content, this will also keep them from running people off the roads in Stormreach because they are using old recycled lawnmotor oil. The Warforged are angry, we have no taste buds to sample your delicious candy!

This message brought to you by Steamtank and Co.

Davrim
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM

The Warforged!!
Instead I suggest high-performance motor oil. In addition to keeping your local Warforged population content, this will also keep them from running people off the roads in Stormreach because they are using old recycled lawnmotor oil. The Warforged are angry, we have no taste buds to sample your delicious candy!

Candy Canes are heal moderate not cure moderate and work on all character types. That is what makes them so valuable. ;)

Hendrik
11-27-2007, 03:08 PM

The Warforged!!

Are these not usable by WF? Thought I read they are and work regardless of WF Race and no penalty....

Have to dig mine out and find a WF!

:P

unionyes
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all the hard work to get the game up and running again. Also, thanks for the Candy Canes, I haven't had one before and am looking forward to it. But most of all, thanks for the work that you are going to do to minimize the chances of this occurring again. To me, that is the most important part.

And I agree with totmacher, the WF's are kinda left out.......but I don't care. Is that wrong? :)

totmacher
They work on WF by why are we forced to use silly magical fleshy confections when all we need is a good wrench and some duct tape.

Beherit_Baphomar
Are these not usable by WF? Thought I read they are and work regardless of WF Race and no penalty....

Have to dig mine out and find a WF!

They work on the toasters too....

Missing_Minds
11-27-2007, 03:11 PM

The Warforged!!

totmacher, you've never used them have you? heal moderate means you will recover the same amount of HP as if you just chugged an equivalent oil. Consider them a wand version of starter heal moderate potions.

iamsamoth0
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Turbine love....bask in the glow...
Now sell me a shirt! :p

*EDIT*
Wrap around shirts like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000WUM86M/sr=1-23/qid=1196198186/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&img=0&qid=1196198186&sr=1-23&color%5Fname=default

Strakeln

The Warforged!!

This message brought to you by Steamtank and Co.Correct me if I'm wrong, but Candy Canes are heal moderate, not cure moderate... in other words, they work on Warforged (probably at a reduced effect, though).

Missing_Minds
They work on WF by why are we forced to use silly magical fleshy confections when all we need is a good wrench and some duct tape.

Take it up with the jester.

MrCow
11-27-2007, 03:16 PM

How DARE you call me a toaster! :mad:

None of my characters can make toast as they all lack ranks in Profession (cook). The best I can do for you is toss a loaf of bread in a Wall of Fire and give you back charcoal.

Oh, and yes, Candy Canes fully heal Warforged. The action of breaking the candy cane (usually by chomping on it) is what bestows the healing property. For a quick heal just bash yourself over the head with a candy cane. :D

Zenako
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM
My lowbie WF all have twinked (and sometimes dusty and sticky) Candy canes handed down from my Clerics sweet stash of them. They work just FINE for WF and donot gum up the works. They do end up looking a little silly when fighting if you forget to swap back to something like your Great AXE. Killing oozes with Candy canes was one way to stop etching my metal weapons too fast when I first got rolling.

Khyron
11-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I still want a pony.

renegade117
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Glad they are back up... And I am happy for yall's continued hard work on this game:)

Missing_Minds
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Oh, and yes, Candy Canes fully heal Warforged. The action of breaking the candy cane (usually by chomping on it) is what bestows the healing property. For a quick heal just bash yourself over the head with a candy cane. :D

Not a bad idea. I mean that way you make yourself smell pepperminty fresh after a dip in the sewers.

Which makes me wonder... do WF have the sense of smell?

liamfrancais
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I could be wrong it has been know to happen especially when I am with my wife but I believe totmacher is doing a little roleplay tongue in cheek umm dip stick in oil pan, with the posts.

totmacher
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
leave it to 20 lurking rules lawyers with +5 clubs of greater fun bane to ruin it :rolleyes:

Borrigain
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm just surprised that all "sis got a loot weekend, I demand one too!" crowd hasn't shown up in force yet.

They must still be sleeping their little eyes out from staying up all night. :D

(sis=Asheron's call)

Borr.

ccheath776
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Hello Everyone,

On behalf of the entire staff at Turbine we would like to apologize for yesterday’s extended downtime. The outage was a unique occurrence involving a combination of the hardware and software that supports our login servers and other related web services. This problem prevented players from successfully logging into the games, although the game servers themselves were unaffected and remained up.

Please rest assured that we worked hard to bring the service back online as quickly as possible. The team tasked with resolving the issues pulled out all the stops and worked nonstop day and night to bring the service back online.

Despite our best efforts, we could not avoid a lengthy downtime. We’re already working with our vendors to review the process and technology issues that contributed to the outage, and are collectively making immediate changes to prevent this type of incident.

While we can’t give you Monday back, we hope to ease the frustration many of you felt by extending your playtime. Additionally, affected players will receive an in-game gift to show our appreciation for your patience during the downtime:

For all players who had an active subscription on 11/26/2007 to any Turbine game, we will automatically extend your current billing period by one day. Your new billing date will be reflected at myaccount.turbine.com after the change takes effect.
Dungeons and Dragons Online™ players will receive a Candy Cane for every character on their account. This is an item with 30 charges of Heal Moderate and is usable at any level.
The Lord of the Rings Online™ players will be given a stack of five Scented Candles for each character on their account. These items are single-use consumables that provide a temporary increase to Hope.
For Asheron’s Call® players we are pleased to announce a Bonus Loot Weekend with a special improvement to the normal loot distribution for a limited time.At Turbine, we remain focused on providing the best possible service to our subscribers. Players who wish to give us specific feedback on the issue and how we handled it may send an e-mail to turbinesupportexperience@turbine.com. We welcome your comments.

Thanks to each of you and we’ll see you soon in Stormreach, Eriador, and Dereth!

Your kidding me?
No apologies needed yall.
Its just a game but thanks for the gifts anyway they are appreciated.

Seriously the dowtime was not the end of the world much to many others rude protests to the contrary.
It happens. It will happen again. Nothing is perfect.
I never expect that it will be.
Keep up the good work Turbine.

....Now since your giving away candy canes can we talk about monks..

Shaunassey
11-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow! Turbine has a Marketing Dept.?? You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the candy cane, I'll hang it next to my +1 Ghost Touch Heavy Steel Tower Shield of Santa Bane =P

Graz
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I too am surprised we didn't get a +1 Loot Weekend out of this? The Candy Canes are nice token, and a 1 day pre-pay... ~$0.50 per account.

But really, the loot weekend would have been a fantastic token of appreciation for 'some' of the patience we all expressed... or better, did not express on the forums as soon as they came back up.

Perhaps it was all in the flame wars that immediately bombarded the boards when they came back online that made them go this way vs. a loot weekend.

Hopefully, it's only drawn in the sand, and not "set in stone" that we would be much appreciative if you'd give all of us DDO players a +1 Loot Weekend too.

...Graz

liamfrancais
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Wow! Turbine has a Marketing Dept.?? You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the candy cane, I'll hang it next to my +1 Ghost Touch Heavy Steel Tower Shield of Santa Bane =P

Been down this road already and the thread was closed already, but if you like look at the Dear Marketroid thread.

Chaosium
11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Is there going to be any way to get mailbox items back that expired during the time the servers were down, but we were not able to log in to them? I know that I lost stuff.

Leadsides
11-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Is there going to be any way to get mailbox items back that expired during the time the servers were down, but we were not able to log in to them? I know that I lost stuff.

OOF!! You have a point there :eek:

As for Turbine, I'm very appreciative that you worked through the night to get the issues resolved. I've done it and I know it's a pain. As an engineer, I know that mistakes will happen but that the biggest concern is always whether action is taken to prevent them from happening again (right after the problem gets fixed of course... ). That's the appropriate response and I'm glad to see your team is on it. Good job! :)

Cupcake
11-27-2007, 04:07 PM

None of my characters can make toast as they all lack ranks in Profession (cook). The best I can do for you is toss a loaf of bread in a Wall of Fire and give you back charcoal.

Toaster Toaster Toaster. :D:D:D

Kire
11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Toaster Toaster Toaster. :D:D:D

be nice now:

cowtoaster

~Kire

Mockduck
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Sweet! Sounds good to me.

As if getting back from a long holiday weekend to work didn't stink enough, I bet the poor Turbine IT folks REALLY had something to grumble about. Thanks all for your hard work - appreciate it!

Pyromaniac
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I've been playing the game since the first day, and this is the best communication I've ever seen on any issue in the game. Kudos, and please keep up the communication in this way when there are issues.

The token gifts for the inconvenience are appreciated.:)

mightyfelix
11-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm just surprised that all "sis got a loot weekend, I demand one too!" crowd hasn't shown up in force yet.

(sis=Asheron's call)

Borr.

signed/ out of the 3 games ..D&D..LOTR and AC, D&D is the ugly duck :( Ok (sigh) I guess some miserable candies are better than nothing,right? :p Now who's with me for the 50% exp and +1 loot!!! yeah right with all this cough(fan) cough(boy) going around the, "who's with me", is going to turn in "who's against me"

PS: Turbine thanks for working all night long to get the game back up and for those wonderful candies. :D
PS: Turbine I have to write the above sentence so the players dont flame me for what I wrote before :p

later.. The good all ppl from Stormreach

Impaqt
11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm sure the 84 People who still play ashterons call will appreciate the loot weekend.

WIth the Festival Jester right around the corner, I assume more candycanes than we will ever use are going to readily available soon..... Unless that has been cancelled....

Oh well.... I suspect our Merged servers wouldnt be able to handle the load...... Only logical explanation.

ANyone play LOTRO? Is thier hope cake pretty good?

Hence
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Ashron's Call gets loot, we get candy...
At least they gave us all an extra day for free. That is an unprecedented move!!

Maybe they are already planning some big loot event for us?

Brutous
11-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Thank you for the candy...

Asherons Call is still on? Wow, I never got to play that game.... Hmmmm...

Quarion
11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Hello all,

Please note: Special items and game time will be applied during the month of December.

Fourtwenty
11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
This rules!!I been sittin on my candy canes for a year almost now..now i get to eat one cause ill have more!! btw..will festus come around this year?

Thanks ddo. the 1 day added to the subscription is verry commendable..
see thats what im talkin about..What good service!!

DesertBlue
11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I've been playing the game since the first day, and this is the best communication I've ever seen on any issue in the game. Kudos, and please keep up the communication in this way when there are issues.

The token gifts for the inconvenience are appreciated.:)

Same here. Been on since the begining and this is the best communication Ive seen regarding a touchy situation.

Thank you and Happy Holidays. Scratch the Happy Holidays part. Just thank you.

Twerpp
11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
LOL. You all cried for it and they actually gave it to us, our money back! Probably a new precedent set by an MMO, I have never seen it before at least.

Seriously though I took all my two handed fighting feats I want a 2 Handed Candy Cane! It's not fair the 2 weapon fighters get to dual wield theirs!

Oh yeah thanks Turbine for sacrificing your own personal Miller Time or missing I Love New York to get my game fixed!

Lorien_the_First_One
11-27-2007, 05:20 PM

The Warforged!!

Actually candy canes work fully on wf

lasra
11-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the candy cane! I miss them, even though my cleric has a horde she won't pass out, even to alts. She's selfish like that.

Nice communication with us, btw. That is very appreciated.

Oh, and I don't know what you guys did, but we got a little group together just after the login came back up and ran through the Orchard and got 10/15 encounters.... so thanks for loading the instance dice in our favor for that run. I even got a dex tome! :D

Lorien_the_First_One
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the communication, the gift, and the extension of the membership. Well and fairly handled I'd say.

This rules!!I been sittin on my candy canes for a year almost now..now i get to eat one cause ill have more!! btw..will festus come around this year?!!

Yes, but they have said some of the food will taste different....

WeiQuinn
11-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Ah, good memories of Battlestar Galactica... too bad March is the beginning of the end :(

Durnik
11-27-2007, 06:00 PM
How come we don't get a SPECIAL loot run day! Come on!

muffinlad
11-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Think of it this way....we don't have to play Asheron's Call......

muffinlad

TheDoctor
11-27-2007, 09:18 PM
What a joke...!!! I still have candy canes from last year.

This response is an insult. But I guess you get to do what you want to us and if we don't like it we can leave. How reassuring.

Pathetic..!!! But I guess this game has come to an end anyway.

Drunkenuff
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Uh, I am missing something here...none of my toons got any candy canes when I logged on today. My main being a cleric, doesnt need one, but my alts could use one.

woofy
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
thx turbine but as if u give asherons call a loot weekend and all u give us is heal moderate wands, *** is with that?

Kistilan
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
thx turbine but as if u give asherons call a loot weekend and all u give us is heal moderate wands, *** is with that?

To point out what muffinlad already said...

The important thing is we DON'T have to play Asheron's Call... tears up in memories of the good old never-again days... I miss my hoary robe...

iamsamoth0
11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Uh, I am missing something here...none of my toons got any candy canes when I logged on today. My main being a cleric, doesnt need one, but my alts could use one.

For clarity.
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1447085&postcount=36

On another note.

I just like that all the characters get them. Never had one.
Not so worried about a loot day.
They are nice though.

MrCow
11-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Which makes me wonder... do WF have the sense of smell?

Yes, we Warforged have a sense of smell, but I am told that it isn't nearly as robust as you flesh beings. A "dull" sense of smell is the way you might think about it.

mons
11-28-2007, 12:27 AM
TY Turbine for the extended time, candy canes and most importantly, an explanation. Kudos to all ;)

Ghoste
11-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Lol, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was "Service Outrage Update", and I got to wondering why a forum moderator would be flaming Turbine like that...:)

Ghoste
11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Yes, we Warforged have a sense of smell, but I am told that it isn't nearly as robust as you flesh beings. A "dull" sense of smell is the way you might think about it.
And for those wondering, yes, dwarves do smell unpleasant to us as well.

Junkyard
11-28-2007, 01:53 AM
but an explanation for delays and such are much more valuable.
In fact for me at least (who has to plan the days he is gonna play) It is more than valuable it is required

Yukiko
11-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Its very rare that a game company will extend the billing cycle and give players an extra day of playing due to down time.
Kudos to you Turbine

Hendrik
11-28-2007, 07:27 AM
In fact for me at least (who has to plan the days he is gonna play) It is more than valuable it is required

:eek:

Maybe go re-read Market's post?

Hendrik
11-28-2007, 07:28 AM
What a joke...!!! I still have candy canes from last year.

This response is an insult. But I guess you get to do what you want to us and if we don't like it we can leave. How reassuring.

Pathetic..!!! But I guess this game has come to an end anyway.

Door is over there....

Don't let it hit you on the way out.

Tresha_D'Artet
11-28-2007, 07:30 AM

since totmacher seems unappreciative of his CANDYCANE!! can i have his :D

Mad_Bombardier
11-28-2007, 08:42 AM
be nice now:

cowtoaster

~KireWould that be a coaster? That explains the docent shape. :p

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Because.

That is my new answer for everything these days. Because.

Hendrik
11-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Because.

Because why, Dane?

And while your at it, are we there yet?

And if you have the time, I know you are but what am I?

:confused:

Morning Dane!

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Ok, here.

This months shipment of hairless albino Hymillaian hamsters was super late. They are the only kind of hamsters that work on these servers, and provide the right amount of wheel spin. However, they are very delicate and don't survive long outside of their native lands, lasting about 1 month before they die.

However, it takes 5 months for from birth before a hamster is ready to be used. The breeding farms in the high reachs of the Hymillia's are massive in size and scope. Truly, a sight to behold if you ever find yourself in the nieghborhood.

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Because why, Dane?

And while your at it, are we there yet?

And if you have the time, I know you are but what am I?

:confused:

Morning Dane!

Morning, Hendrik.

Why because? Because.

This is the only time I'm going to explain why because. At work, we worked extra long to make sure we hit our release to manufacturing date, because these books need to printed for a sales conference, or no sales for that product for a year, and that's bad. We make the date. Our manufacturing department then drops the ball. When asked why the printer files are still with him and not with the printer, this is what he said.

"The short and long answer is: Because"

Since the director of marketing thinks Because is an acceptable answer, we have decided that is the answer for everything now.

Because.

Hendrik
11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Ok, here.

This months shipment of hairless albino Hymillaian hamsters was super late. They are the only kind of hamsters that work on these servers, and provide the right amount of wheel spin. However, they are very delicate and don't survive long outside of their native lands, lasting about 1 month before they die.

However, it takes 5 months for from birth before a hamster is ready to be used. The breeding farms in the high reachs of the Hymillia's are massive in size and scope. Truly, a sight to behold if you ever find yourself in the nieghborhood.

Actually the truth to the matter is Dane, they upgraded from Hampsters to Ferrets.

;)

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Actually the truth to the matter is Dane, they upgraded from Hampsters to Ferrets.

;)

Whats going to happen to the Hamster farms then? That sucks for them.

Hendrik
11-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Whats going to happen to the Hamster farms then? That sucks for them.

With the Holidays right around the corner, I say use the pelts to make some nifty new duds!

I could dust off my baby seal club - made by Ronco! Got one free with purchase of a Mr. Microphone....

:eek:

DC303
11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I too am surprised we didn't get a +1 Loot Weekend out of this? The Candy Canes are nice token, and a 1 day pre-pay... ~$0.50 per account.

But really, the loot weekend would have been a fantastic token of appreciation for 'some' of the patience we all expressed... or better, did not express on the forums as soon as they came back up.

Perhaps it was all in the flame wars that immediately bombarded the boards when they came back online that made them go this way vs. a loot weekend.

Hopefully, it's only drawn in the sand, and not "set in stone" that we would be much appreciative if you'd give all of us DDO players a +1 Loot Weekend too.

...Graz

Well said, and I think a lot of players agree, a +1 loot weekend would be a better token of good faith from the Turbine staff for the extended down time.

char_db
11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I gotta say I'm happy we didnt get a +1 loot weekend. I'm a weekend warrior who works 3 12 hour shifts a week..friday, saturday and sunday. The game went down Monday, a day i can play. So if reparations are to be made, reparations should be made to the people who were affected...say a Monday loot/xp day the next week.

Thanks for the candy canes! (they taste better than dragonshards)

Hoos
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info and the candy canes. Who says you guys don't care?

cdbd3rd
11-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Because.

*chuckles*

Yeah, that's always a good one. Hated it when I was a kid, but it has come full circle
and I use it on mine now. And they hate it too.

{Sometimes I amend it to, "Because god wanted it to evolve that way."} :D:p

Magada
11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
TY for letting us know the problems we appreciate it .

schroebj13

I don't know about that, you should see what happened to the last toaster I fed a candy cane too. What a mess....lol

Thanks for the hard work Turbine!!

Hambo
I remember Festivus last year. Candy Canes are great but I DID NOT look dignified using them. Consider this picture:

A Halfling Rogue, wearing the Kundaric Delving suit from the Dragon Raid, which looks a bit like a nightgown, if you've not seen it. Now, add a Candy Cane and I looked like a kid waiting for Santa on the 24th.

I'm looking forward to some of the other items, like the resurrection cakes and the Beholder cookies.

By the way, thanks for the OP. I read you had issues with your SAN, and hope that those who "Got 'er done" recieve something extra as well. I'm an IT Engineer and have been in numerous similar situations and know what it's like.

Dauugi
11-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I think what all the players want here is the good old standby of a bonus loot weekend! That is what we have come to expect when Turbine screws up our playtime. I don't need a candy cane, I'm sure I will be getting plenty of those for the holidays. :mad:
Gimme the loot... I need plat not candy.... I'm not the asian plat farmer here... aaarrrggghhh!!!

You should give everybody the same thing across the board... if one game gets the loot weekend we should all get a loot weekend.

I'm sure there are other players that agree with me here.

Fura
11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Seriously i dont need candy cane. I am not a kid. this candy wont put a smile on my face....My 2 cp

DracoWarrior
11-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Would tin can, or maybe bucket of bolts surfice...:p either way my Greater Construct Bane maul will gladly do the job.:D

Anyria
11-28-2007, 11:43 AM
First, Thank you to all the staff that worked so hard for so many hours to bring this game back, you effort is truly appreciated.

Second, and this is directed at the person or team that decided that a candy cane was sufficient to replace the lost time playing…

Do I get some KY jelly with that? I mean really, a candy cane = a handful of potions. Pretty easy to get your hands on.

An explanation of how this happened and what is being done to prevent it in the future is enough. This was done, so thank you!

You also decided to rollback the billing cycle, another good move as far a customer service is concerned (personally I could care less about the small amount of money I will “save” and it seems to me that this will cost a lot in staff time, but I am not an expert in that area).

The biggest problem I have is that a single post was produced for all the games that were affected. The staff that worked to get the game back up put in over 20 hours of outstanding effort and I don’t want to think about how many frustrations to get the game working. Then the extra (what 15 minutes?) isn’t taken to type a post for each game forum. Instead you post what the other games will get as a token of thanks and it seems to me that they are heavily lopsided. Why belittle your staff’s effort and hard work with this decision?

This reminds me of another company I know of, the United States government. The soldiers put in all the hard work and massive amounts of effort to get the job done, but the decision makers find a way to screw things up.

I am sure I will get flamed for this so….. fire away.

Bekki
11-28-2007, 11:47 AM

(sis=Asheron's call)

Borr.

They are out in force, check the other posts...:eek:

rfachini
11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I am going to be styling for the holidays with my CANDY CANE... A girl loves her accessories. Do they come in a PINK and WHITE Swirl?

Nerf pink and white swirls!!!

Just kidding...

Happy Holidays, All!

Zarbryn
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Whaaaaaaaa!
Extended downtime!
WHAAAAAAA!!
+1 loot weekend!!
Whaaaaaaa!
Yeah i want a +1 loot weekend, but only the days i can play!
Whaaaaaaa!
Yeah you OWE ME!!!
WHAAAAAA!!!

The game was down for an extra 12 hours and you choades make it sound like it was 2 weeks. Get over it and get over yourselves. Every single one of us has been on BOTH sides of a customer service debacle. Life goes on, deal with it. Friggin pitiful.

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Well said, and I think a lot of players agree, a +1 loot weekend would be a better token of good faith from the Turbine staff for the extended down time.

Have you seen the treads about just this, where there are more people saying NO to +1 loot weekends?

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I think what all the players want here is the good old standby of a bonus loot weekend! That is what we have come to expect when Turbine screws up our playtime. I don't need a candy cane, I'm sure I will be getting plenty of those for the holidays. :mad:
Gimme the loot... I need plat not candy.... I'm not the asian plat farmer here... aaarrrggghhh!!!

You should give everybody the same thing across the board... if one game gets the loot weekend we should all get a loot weekend.

I'm sure there are other players that agree with me here.

First off, a +1 loot weekend will not put more loot in your hands, it only ups the chest level. So if it has a range level of say 6-7, it's now 7-8. Very simple. So you might get a few items that are marginally better, but the way to get plat, is to just run certain quests over and over as much as you can.

Which you can do without a +1 loot weekend.

Yes, there are other players that agree with you. But right now, it's a minority that do.

Impaqt
11-28-2007, 12:51 PM
First off, a +1 loot weekend will not put more loot in your hands, it only ups the chest level. So if it has a range level of say 6-7, it's now 7-8. Very simple. So you might get a few items that are marginally better, but the way to get plat, is to just run certain quests over and over as much as you can.

Which you can do without a +1 loot weekend.

Yes, there are other players that agree with you. But right now, it's a minority that do.

Its the Vocal majority that dont want a Loot weekend.... I seriously doubt if TUrbine did an actual Poll the results would be the same.... How many votes does the Raid Rating have? 800+? How many people have said no to a loot weekend?

Because a couple dozen very vocal people dont want a loot weekend for some reason does NOT mean the majority of players do not want it. Or at least would apreciate it.

Elfboy
11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
This is very cool, as I so wanted to play then. :) Thanks turbine!

smatt
11-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Turbine folks! No worries, it happens, you all worked ahrd on a very long shift trying top get th egame back up and did after a good 22 or so hours. Man , oyu all msut've been beat, frustrated....

Tnaks for the hard work, thatnks for the game.... And thanks for the pressys :)

Borrigain
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Way to go Turbine. Now that you've opened THAT Pandora's box, see what you've done?

Every little hiccup will now be followed by a battery of "you did it before, I WANT ONE NOW!!!!"

/plop on floor kicking and screaming

Children....children.....because why? you ask.

"Because I said so".
(always thought that one was funny)

:D

Borr.

Dane_McArdy
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Its the Vocal majority that dont want a Loot weekend.... I seriously doubt if TUrbine did an actual Poll the results would be the same.... How many votes does the Raid Rating have? 800+? How many people have said no to a loot weekend?

Because a couple dozen very vocal people dont want a loot weekend for some reason does NOT mean the majority of players do not want it. Or at least would apreciate it.

No one can speak for those that don't speak for themselves. But then again, those that don't speak for themselves, end up having to go along with what those that spoke up said they wanted. It's not fair, is it?

The only fact we have is that more people have said no thanks to a +1 loot weekend then those that have said they want one. If there are 100,000 people able to speak up, and of that 100,000, only 50 people say what they want, you can only work with what you got.

Now that the pro +1 loot people aren't the majority, they don't see it as fair if the majority get their way. You even start your post saying the Vocal Majority doesn't want a loot weekend.

Besides, it's some what pointless, as it seems it was decided by Turbine not to do a +1 loot weekend, regardless of what people say. There have been threads for about a month now, asking for it, and then the down time as a way to try and leverage the request, and Turbine has been silent on the matter the whole time.

So I suspect that for reasons they won't discuss, they decided at some point in the past to not do +1 loot weekends. And certainly not as a way to give something back to customers when they make a mistake.

ICU
11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
So we get a candy cane, an 1 extra day on account... Asherons call gets a loot weekend.. I think the DDO player's would prefer to have the loot weekend...That is just my 2 cents... Way to screw us turbine

Hiniki
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I think what people are saying here is that they want the equivelent of what Asherons call got. A 30 charge candy cane is pretty lame in comparison to a +1 loot weekend.

I could care less. All a +1 loot weekend would do is cause more problems as the increased load on the servers, apparently old 486's from a yard sale, would for sure bog down or even crash.

I for one think we should get +1 loot weekends and other treats because we pay to play and have fun. Shouldnt take a server crash to get Turbine to show appreciation.

Edit

Turbine, you could have posted the info on the forums of each game instead of posting one blanket statement. Would have kept us from seeing what the other games got and saved some of our flamming. Not that you care anyways.

elldur
11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the explanation of the downtime monday. The updates throughout were also appreciated. It is much better to have some light shed, than to wait in the darkness. Life, and this game, are full of surprises, some good and some not so good. Communication is the +5 banisher of pure good which helps us all deal with the "not so good". That candy cane will help me deal with the "not so good" in the game.:)

Hafeal
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Thank you Turbine for the explanation and the unneeded and unwarranted candycane.

Business troubles happen everywhere, everyday. It is unrealistic for any customer base to "expect" immediate, over-the-top compensation for unexpected difficulties. So, TheDoctor, can I have your stuff?

What a joke...!!! I still have candy canes from last year. This response is an insult. But I guess you get to do what you want to us and if we don't like it we can leave. How reassuring. Pathetic..!!! But I guess this game has come to an end anyway.

Its the Vocal majority that dont want a Loot weekend.... I seriously doubt if TUrbine did an actual Poll the results would be the same.... How many votes does the Raid Rating have? 800+? How many people have said no to a loot weekend? Because a couple dozen very vocal people dont want a loot weekend for some reason does NOT mean the majority of players do not want it. Or at least would apreciate it.

NO. No. no. No to loot and xp weekends. I am opposed. Impaqt, you know the squeaky wheel gets the grease? It has worked for others on these forums before. Thus, to make sure I am heard, I will be vocal - it is the only way to be heard after all.

Veltar
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the consideration you have shown to the players. And sh*t happens... =) ty for the candy cane.

Calim_Russale
11-28-2007, 01:56 PM
I might be wrong but weren't we suppossed to get candy canes.. I never got one on any of my guys

Hiniki
11-28-2007, 02:20 PM
I might be wrong but weren't we suppossed to get candy canes.. I never got one on any of my guys

They said it will be sometime next month... must have had to order the canes from Hershey or wherever they get them...

lasra
11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
NO. No. no. No to loot and xp weekends. I am opposed. Impaqt, you know the squeaky wheel gets the grease? It has worked for others on these forums before. Thus, to make sure I am heard, I will be vocal - it is the only way to be heard after all.

Hmmmmm....

So what you are saying is that if I squeak loud and long enough, I can have my way? Well then.... (ahem)....

/squeakyvoiceon

It's soooooooo unfair that during the last +1 xp/loot weekend that I had to move. I mean, the MOVERS wouldn't wait when I told them they needed to come back the following weekend, and my BOSS... don't even get me started with him! I don't know why the heck he didn't understand why I would be a week late. So listen here... I WANT MY LOOT WEEKEND BACK. Since everyone else in my life was sooooooo inconsiderate of the timing, I fully expect you devs to placate me and my whims. And while I'm at it, I fully expect a refund for the 6 weeks I was unable to play because of work commitments and no internet at home.

Its YOUR fault I have to work to pay for this game, Turbine, and I expect compensation!!

/squeakyvoiceoff

Now where's my free stuff? :confused: :D :rolleyes: ;)

Citymorg
11-28-2007, 02:29 PM
More important than the compensation for the down, which is nice, I really appreciate the all the information you gave us regarding the problem. Not too technical, but a clear and concise explaination. It is more explaination than I can ever remember getting from ANYONE at Turbine regarding a problem like this (and I can remember several problems like this since the game launched).

Thank you, I really appreciate your candor and contrition regarding this problem (even though it may not have been preventable)

Impaqt
11-28-2007, 02:43 PM

If that were the Case we'd still have Human Batman Builds Evading in Full Plate with +5 Permanent increase to Every Skill.......

Clerics Would have Domains, Meteamagic Enhancements, and a correct Correct Implementation of WOrd of recall.

Rogues Would be Useful.

Rangers would be useful

Bards would be useful

Battle Clerics would be banned

and on and on and on.......

Fuzzybunny
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Thank you for explaining what happened on Monday and for bringing the service back up in such an efficient manner. I'll enjoy that Candy Cane. Don't let the naysayers get you down.

Fuzzybunny

Chal
11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
TY turbine for showing that you actually care about your customers even if it is in your own special way, as for the candycanes, thats just another spot taken in already overstuffed banks, be nice if they stacked then I'd only have to post once on the Auction House.

Re: being vocal about +1 loot weekends -
Stuff the loot, I'd only be disappointed anyway, I've never gotten anything good from a loot weekend, but on the other hand I'd REALLY like to have the 50% xp boost, now that would be worth it in so many ways to sooo many ppl, especially to those that have only recently started, I have 3 lvl14 toons, and never get the chance to lvl my lowbies, c'mon give us a 'lowbie lvling weekend'

ohioorbs
11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
we haven't had a bonus weekend in a while.

Vizzini
11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Candycanes Awesome, looks like Emi, got her wish!

They don't bind do they, hope not cause I got a toon that could really use all 8 of them :p

Trugaard
11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Are you kidding? A Candy cane? Who cares? In the time that your servers were down I could have pulled one of 1000 different loot items more valuable than that. What ever happend to the +1 xp and loot weekends? Nobody cares about your foolish candy canes, of which I will probably amass too many during this holiday season.

Gear the game for adults!! Theres no stupid candycanes in D&D! Stop wasting our time reading these foolish posts offering a candycane for our trouble. How about offering me a Half-elf or a Gnome for my trouble.

WORK ON YOUR GAME!! EVERY FORUM I READ SAYS YOUR GAME IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE! This is the only game I enjoy, make it better, make more content, release the new module date! This is all that matters not your stupid candycanes!

StormDale
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
When we'll we get these candies?

liriel01
11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Thank you for the update. I realize that with computers there can be outages and stuff happens. I am just happy that we are back online. Monday was hellish without my D&Do fix. Thank you for the Candy Cane also.

P.S. For all the complainers: No industry, company, or individual intentionally creates a situation that can so adversely effect their product and customers. Machines fail...it is the nature of the beast. They are programmed by less than perfect mortals and often have parts that fail....look at all the Warforges.....lol. That was a joke. Next time and it could happen again, please keep the rants to a minimum and try to think positively. This is a great game and I love so many of the people I have met online.

Fredster
11-28-2007, 04:50 PM
I really missed the game for that one day. Ive got to get a life. Alas i do have a life here on DDO.I hope this game last forever.

Stormanne
11-28-2007, 05:46 PM
People are kicking and screaming for a bonus weekend. People are kicking and screaming to not have a bonus weekend. Split the difference. Give em a +1 level to the loot tables, but no free XP. Seems like a good compromise to me...

BardellaSureshot
11-28-2007, 05:54 PM
It figures! I just took out my candy canes from last year to put up for sale on the auctions. I just wasted that posting fee. On the bright side, I'll have more candy canes to hoard for next year! : )
Thanks for the update and the canes! Keep up the good work.

Scropious
11-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Candy canes and a free day that we already paid for. What a slap in the face. I find this insulting! Its not like you even did an update and in the last day and a half ive been booted more times then I have in the last 6 months. All of us pay to play all iam asking is a little more respect to the customers.

Vizzini
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Slated for Dec. Cupcake - Read ^^

When we'll we get these candies?

Taur
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
i know i'll probably get flamed for this but i'm sure i'm not the only one with a bank toon that still has several candy canes. Honestly, this is borderline insulting IMO. Especially since the poor saps that still play AC get a bonus loot weekend.

here come the fanboi flames.

Zorlinta
11-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Ty turbine your efforts are appreciated :)

Im gonna love a lot my new collection of candy canes :), and im hapily will accept the candy canes from those others that doesnt like them. :)

jjflanigan
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Slated for Dec. Cupcake - Read ^^

That wasn't cupcake ;)

As for those saying the candy cane isn't enough...the candy cane was just a bonus, they extended your account duration by 1 day to offset the lost playtime on Monday. So, technically you lost no play time, it was just moved. So they are giving you an extra benefit even though you didn't lose anything.

I get the feeling that a lot of people WANT them to have server problems so they can try to use that as justification to call for a +1 loot weekend...that's kinda mean.

bricklebrit
11-28-2007, 08:29 PM
wonderfully handled. thank you turbine.

Anarkius
11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the Candy Canes - so when is Festivus beginning again, I dont recall the exact date? Is this just a teaser for those of us that did not use our gifts wisely last year??

I'll be good, I swear.

Im shooting for a +5 Transmuting Dwarven Axe of Paralyzing and &@@ Kicking this year. Hopefully I've got enough favor a nice pair.

MyrddynDraconis
11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
A wise man once said " To err is Humaniod, to really F(oul) things up use a computer" Must have been a programmer or a Dev by the sounds of that.But seriously what is Turbine doing to get rid of the Plat Spammers and Plat Spammer E-mails?

juggernaute
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM

The Warforged!!

I was around last year for the christmas tokens that you could trade for..... Yes you guessed it.... Candy canes, and they are useable by WF without penalty.

Breck_N'Dwall
11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
It was frustrating, but things happen.

I am glad you were proactive before too many of the "users" started complainfest 2007.

and CANDY CANES are cool. (pretend I did the pink and white letters)

KoboldKiller
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Sooooo......... Wheres my candy cane? :confused:

Chal
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
People are kicking and screaming for a bonus weekend. People are kicking and screaming to not have a bonus weekend. Split the difference. Give em a +1 level to the loot tables, but no free XP. Seems like a good compromise to me...

+1 to a lvl 8-14 chest is not much of a deal, 50% xp is ... ... ... point made I think

Camilo_Dragon
11-29-2007, 12:08 AM
no prob, keep up the good work.

scoti2
11-29-2007, 12:10 AM
I still want a pony.

I agree a pony sounds just fine please can we have a pony.

Ghoste
11-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Are you kidding? A Candy cane? Who cares? In the time that your servers were down I could have pulled one of 1000 different loot items more valuable than that. What ever happend to the +1 xp and loot weekends? Nobody cares about your foolish candy canes, of which I will probably amass too many during this holiday season.

Gear the game for adults!! Theres no stupid candycanes in D&D! Stop wasting our time reading these foolish posts offering a candycane for our trouble. How about offering me a Half-elf or a Gnome for my trouble.

WORK ON YOUR GAME!! EVERY FORUM I READ SAYS YOUR GAME IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE! This is the only game I enjoy, make it better, make more content, release the new module date! This is all that matters not your stupid candycanes!
Hornets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZNQ4jo2t5g&feature=related)

Kanai
11-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Bravo, Turbine. You've show great accountability, honesty with your subscriber base, and proactive plans to prevent such outages in the future.

The free day to all subscriptions is very fair, and the bonus candy canes won't hurt either. ;)

Thank you for following up regarding this unexpected outage. This communication goes a long way with your subscribers. Keep up the good work.

seldarin
11-29-2007, 05:56 AM
If that were the Case we'd still have Human Batman Builds Evading in Full Plate with +5 Permanent increase to Every Skill.......

Clerics Would have Domains, Meteamagic Enhancements, and a correct Correct Implementation of WOrd of recall.

Rogues Would be Useful.

Rangers would be useful

Bards would be useful

Battle Clerics would be banned

and on and on and on.......

Rogues are useful, they have more uses than just being trapmonkeys, think along the lines of backup healers/rezzers/archers, etc. If you dont know the use of a rogue, then you aint been playing much.

Rangers are useful, anyone who says otherwise either doesnt know how to play one or hasnt had one in their group.

Bards are useful, too many uses to list, but just for starters, cc/healing/rezzing/buffs, the list can go on, yet again im getting the impression you havent played one or dont like them.

Battle clerics, in the right hands they are great in any group. There is more to a battle cleric than just healing oneself, buffing oneself and hitting stuff, much more than that.

Agarwaen
11-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Considering that Impaqt designed the Deathdealer Rogue and the Holy variant of it--and there are a few thousand rogues running around with builds very similar to his--I'm pretty sure he knows Rogues are useful. I think he was just making the point that complaining alot doesn't always spur the developers to make changes to the game.

Rambin
11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Thank you for giving us the update on what happened and what is being done to fix the issue behind it. That is all that I expect, but appreciate the extended play time and the candy cane. I understand that sometimes things go wrong with technology and I think Turbine handled it very professionally and could not have expected better service. Thank you again for all your hard work.

starbuck1771
11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
so when should we expect to get our candy canes? I have not got mine yet!

noneou
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I asked a GM they said the Candycanes will come out with the next patch / update. Hopefully this does not mean next year.

Abba_Gadol
11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Use a little IMAGINATION! Just think of them as funny shaped wrenches. ....And you cannot deny they're sticky like adhesive.

Totmacher must not been arround for last years Holiday fun. He's only getting lump of coal with his tokens. I hope I haven't saved mine in vain.

grampa
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi,
I am Shames on Argonnessen server, I have not recieved any 'gifts' (candy cane) for the interrupted gameplay as of Nov 29! I have 4 toons which none have recieved any gift for my patience.
Shames

LOUDRampart
11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm wondering when the biggest complainers of the downtime are going to come here and say "Thanks for actually doing something in return for the downtime instead of nothing like was written."

Oh well, too much to ask. They are probably in game taking care of their addiction to the game....

derja
11-29-2007, 09:48 PM

lmfao

Tahlyn
11-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Hello Everyone,

[/FONT] Thanks to each of you and we’ll see you soon in Stormreach, Eriador, and Dereth!

None of My characters have a new promised Candy Cane.. when is this supposed to happen?

jjflanigan
11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
None of My characters have a new promised Candy Cane.. when is this supposed to happen?

It's listed in dev tracker and this thread --

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=1447085#post1447085

Fourtwenty
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
So where is i??. i keep checking my stuff only to get more and more angry at ddo..I want my candy :(

NewSkin
11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
well candy canes are nice and all i know everyone would have prefered a +1 loot weekend insted since we've not seen one since xoriat was taken offline

qui
11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I am new to online gaming and I have to admit that I was discouraged because of the downtime. I understand that things happen and it is regrettable but not the end of the world. It is the aftermath of problems that arise that show the true value placed on those that pay to play within the community.

A very nice gesture and respected.

Thank you.

Quisani.

Elfboy
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Whaaaaaaaa!
Extended downtime!
WHAAAAAAA!!
+1 loot weekend!!
Whaaaaaaa!
Yeah i want a +1 loot weekend, but only the days i can play!
Whaaaaaaa!
Yeah you OWE ME!!!
WHAAAAAA!!!

The game was down for an extra 12 hours and you choades make it sound like it was 2 weeks. Get over it and get over yourselves. Every single one of us has been on BOTH sides of a customer service debacle. Life goes on, deal with it. Friggin pitiful.
HERE HERE! I concur!

NewSkin
11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
well like i said in another post that was nerf'd off thread candycanes are nice and all but since we'll prob get them anyways why not give us a +1 loot weekend since we've not got one for so long?

Ministry
11-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, this is just the best thing... can't believe I'm saying that... but it is, that Turbine has done yet.

Seriously. Things happen and stuff has problems, but for the Turbine folks to come out and say... yea... we had something go wrong and cost you a day of playing time, explain what went wrong, adjust the billing and give us a small gift is very nice.

I agree though, I would rather have had a +50% xp / loot weekend like they did for the other game... or better still, I would like the pony as well.

But, this is not bad.

Nice job peeps.

Veltar
11-30-2007, 03:31 PM
i have yet to recieve a candy cane on any of my toons or accounts...............

Darlene
11-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Good Day DDO

In your letter to everyone that was affected by the outage on Monday Nov 26th of 2007. You had mentioned something about a Candy Cane that all DDO members would receive. As of today myself and other members still have not received a Candy Cane.

So, I was just wondering if it was only for some members and not all of us? I just thought that if you mentioned you were going to give something to us that you would have done it by now. But, if you are in dead going to give everyone a Candy Cane, could you please give us a date in which you will be doing it?

Thank you
Mrs_Yertill
DDO player

Zouze
11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
i have yet to recieve a candy cane on any of my toons or accounts............... your not alone there

Kronik
11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Uhhhhh,

wheres my candy Turbine?

Zouze
11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I asked a GM they said the Candycanes will come out with the next patch / update. Hopefully this does not mean next year.
ohh thats when we get out candy i hope it doesnt turn all weird tasteing by then

jackseven666
11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I really think the one free billing day is really pointless. Lets face it we all have paid and unless we plan on cancelling that is absolutely worthless<even then still worthless>. Why not take a little time and give us some options then put it up to a vote. The $0.50 I saved really doesn't matter to me but the time wasted is. One day is the difference between lv 1 and lv 5. I guess I as a player would like to see a little more out of the whole situation.

P.S Thank You Turbine for giving the time to download WoW and try it out!!!!:D

"EZ" Sanctus Armada
Ghallanda

pk1
12-01-2007, 07:20 AM
I appreciate the apology from turbine for the entire day of downtime, but a candy cane and a free day of service seem like an insult as payback. I did get a laugh at all the little kiss-butts thanking turbine for their pathetic little token.

WarlordSteve
12-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I appreciate the apology from turbine for the entire day of downtime, but a candy cane and a free day of service seem like an insult as payback. I did get a laugh at all the little kiss-butts thanking turbine for their pathetic little token.

How could you take a free day and a item as a insult? You may have lost a day that you paid for, if you even tried to get on that day and they gave that back to everyone. They then are giving us a candy cane for the inconvenience, one to every character you had before that date. They had to give us nothing and most companies would have gave you nothing but the apology for this inconvenience. You take in to the fact that the majority of my guild had no idea that there was even a outage and they are getting all this also makes things more than right. What do you expect them to hand out Vorpals to everyone?

Rathji
12-01-2007, 10:55 AM
So, how do I get my candy cane? Who gives a **** about a day of playing, but I gots me lots of toons that need a sugar high!

Attomic
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM

What do YOU think wouldn't be an "insulting" payback - you think you deserve another free day or what?

... then again, that's how you come across, like you think you're better and more entitled than everyone else. Especially with the e-chest-thumping "pk1" handle. 'Cause you da man, right? :p

airyk6
12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
so how do we get our candy canes?

Mad_Bombardier
12-02-2007, 10:40 AM
so how do we get our candy canes?When they do it, a Candy Cane will automatically appear in your backpack for all of your characters. :)

vtecfiend99
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
wonder if we'll get two freaking stupid candy canes now... sigh

logan5639
12-02-2007, 12:39 PM
has any1 actually gotten tha candy canes??? i know i haven't

Aarwin
12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Are they trying to lose more players? Seems like its getting that way.

maddong
12-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry guys.... it was the code that spawned the candy canes that messed up the servers today. :)

XRW147
12-02-2007, 01:14 PM
So what's up with the outage today? 2 hours for server restart?

Aarwin
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry guys.... it was the code that spawned the candy canes that messed up the servers today. :)

Are you serious? LMAO

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
and come home to another mess up like this! What server connectivey I HAD NO PROBLEMS getting on before why now, I am beginning to SMELL JULIO TORRES From Star Wars Galaxies is doing a new NGE HERE!

FURYous
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Give 'em a chance to track the issue down and fix it. If this happened twice a week every week I could see all the *****ing, but once in a while isn't so bad. Heck, it gives me a chance to actually get some sun :) Good ol' vitamin D here I come! :)

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
If they say it will take longer I just might have to go spend my money elsewhere this is getting way to far outta hand Turbine ! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!! PEEPS ARE GETTING REALLY POed RIGHT NOW! AND WHERE IS OUR CANDY CANES FROM THE LAST TIME WE HAVEN"T EVEN RECIEVED THOSE THAT YOU GUYS PROMISED AND NOW ANOTHER DT JEEZ!:(

XRW147
12-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Bare in mind that downtime tends to affect northern hemisphere folks during the 'normal' hours of the day. For people living around the equator or further south of it the downtimes are always during 'primetime' (playable time). Although I somewhat appreciate their apollogetic behaviour, personally, the fact is a quarter of the available time I have to actually get on the game is lost to downtime and this doesn't justify keeping this membership active due to the fact that the downtime -vs- playing time has increased as the months have gone by. I can understand if this were beta stages but when we pay retail for this service, fair is fair.

Darkstride
12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
What am i going to do with 30 charges of healing ... give me a loot weekend ... bring players back and give me new content.
Thats what I WANT and NEED.

CSFurious
12-02-2007, 02:49 PM
this is baloney

i spend most of my week working for the man

on the weekends, i get to play some DDO to relax & get ready for another week of work

another candycane will be a slap in the face

What am i going to do with 30 charges of healing ... give me a loot weekend ... bring players back and give me new content.
Thats what I WANT and NEED.

Fatal-Error
12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
If they say it will take longer I just might have to go spend my money elsewhere this is getting way to far outta hand Turbine ! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!! PEEPS ARE GETTING REALLY POed RIGHT NOW! AND WHERE IS OUR CANDY CANES FROM THE LAST TIME WE HAVEN"T EVEN RECIEVED THOSE THAT YOU GUYS PROMISED AND NOW ANOTHER DT JEEZ!:(

You guys are fricken funny... whop cares about candy canes... for one i all readdy have one. and second of all its usless at high lvls.... I mean really do you use cure mod pots ? I dont even pick them up do you? its good to top your HP up after using a shrine about 2 or less times a month! a fricken peice of ham will do more for you... it blows

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
And I am talking to the CSR with that name you really picked the Wrong Name for this area . This is a real sore spot for a lot of peeps who are getting Tired of Patience with the game-- I feel like the old Cartoon of the 2 Vultures over looking the slowly dying man. One vulture turns to the other and says "Patience My ( Anal referral)! I Want to KILL something!" And Patience comes to mind:)

justsnafu
12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I've only been a member for two weeks and I've already seen two major outages...and both during primetime playing periods too, last Monday's was right after the holidays when many folks (like myself) took the Monday off to extend the holiday...guess what no gaming ALL freaking day. Now its a lazy Sunday and again the same thing. I can't believe after that catastrophic Monday that they wouldn't do everything possible to make sure their ducks were in a row so that this wouldn't happen again so soon.

Is this service really the joke that it appears to be or did I just sign up at a bad time?

PS: I agree, the candy cane was a slap in the face

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
( And I never noticed any login inconvience!) And now they have another MAJOR Hardware problem extending the time to 5PM for a little restart . Patience .....sorry all gone:(

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 03:35 PM
The Grill Chef is in the House and ready to season and do some BBQ and guess who/what is on the MENU:)

Karr
12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I really wish you people who keep threatening to quit would do it so we dont have to keep reading your whines. We ran out of cheese months ago.

justsnafu
12-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I really wish you people who keep threatening to quit would do it so we dont have to keep reading your whines. We ran out of cheese months ago.

and I really wish people would stop trotting out the 'whine and cheese' joke as if it were the wittiest most original quip ever coined every time someone complains about legitimate issues

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
and I really wish people would stop trotting out the 'whine and cheese' joke as if it were the wittiest most original quip ever coined every time someone complains about legitimate issues

Totally Agree ! We got the right to Whine with or without the Cheese. Just like you got the right to close your eyes while driving on the Pacific Coast Highway while doing 95MPH if you dare:)
So please go and drive on:)

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:23 PM
just PLEASE don't hurt anything you cannot pay for or replace if you break it:)

starbuck1771
12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Marketroid it is clear that the gifts mean nothing when the game is down yet again for the second time in one week!

You posted this in another thread:
Regardless of our publishing situation what you will see from Turbine over the next 12 months is: More event marketing, new promotions, a referral program, increased PR around key module releases, new online advertising programs, and a generally higher level of visibility for the game.

All the marketing promotions in the world will not help if you can't keep your current player base happy!
This game has been out two years now and should be a lot further along then what it is at current. You add on all the service issues like unwanted nerfs and service interuptions. You should be focusing on the players you have now as the majority of the real marketing is from word of mouth. If the current customers will not indorse the product you have no chance of bring in and keeping new players. You can only peddle the same stuff for so long before it gets old and players leave. At this point you are headed down the same path SOE went down with star wars galaxies. Lotro is headed down the right path with moduals/quests continuously being added. As long as DDO has been out the level cap should have been at least level 25 by now however what can you say about a game that has had very few major updates and has already had a forced server merge in two years time!

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:25 PM
JEEZ Pat Just get a BFH and HIT the dang Thing once or twice:) American/Russian who cares all these things made in China nowadays anyway!

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Hardware made in China has Major lead Paint problem needs Recall for R&R!! Please contact your nearest Chinese Plat Farmer for proper refferal to undisclosed accountant using funny code names of alphabet soup :)

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Plat farmers to a good use:)

starbuck1771
12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Just do what I did and email Al Verrecchia the CEO of Hasbro and express your displeasure of how things are going with DDO right now! It all gets back to him since they aquired Wizards.

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Marketroid it is clear that the gifts mean nothing when the game is down yet again for the second time in one week!

Regardless of our publishing situation what you will see from Turbine over the next 12 months is: More event marketing, new promotions, a referral program, increased PR around key module releases, new online advertising programs, and a generally higher level of visibility for the game.

All the marketing promotions in the world will not help if you can't keep your current player base happy!
This game has been out two years now and should be a lot further along then what it is at current. You add on all the service issues like unwanted nerfs and service interuptions. You should be focusing on the players you have now as the majority of the real marketing is from word of mouth. If the current customers will not indorse the product you have no chance of bring in and keeping new players. You can only peddle the same stuff for so long before it gets old and players leave. At this point you are headed down the same path SOE went down with star wars galaxies. Lotro is headed down the right path with moduals/quests continuously being added. As long as DDO has been out the level cap should have been at least level 25 by now however what can you say about a game that has had very few major updates and has already had a forced server merge in two years time!
If I remember correctly durning the Atlanta SWG Conference Julio Torres told everyone that he had been secretly impleting his NGE since the first week that he took over and after like 5 useless upgrades and character redevelopements that he used to hide his lies and misdirection to the swg public he opened up a Flawed NGE to soon and Lost approx 45&#37; of his gaming population in the first 2 weeks and has been a constant bled out since. I was there -I was the person who called him a LIAR AND SCUMBAG to his face and walked out of the conference, the next day my guild left SWG that was close to 145 people with at least 3 toons each somewith multiple accounts. 95% of them play now on WOW. I'd really hate to see that happen here

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Just do what I did and email Al Verrecchia the CEO of Hasbro and express your displeasure of how things are going with DDO right now! It all gets back to him since they aquired Wizards.

What's the e-mail address?

MyrddynDraconis
12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Ya to use that BFH and now the servers are UP Listen to me Girl!:) Patience my Butt, I gonna Hit something with MY BFH!:)

xCerbeusx
12-02-2007, 11:10 PM
There are my thoughts on the subject of the whole downtime compensation thing. First off, the developers (even though it can be questionable sometimes) are people too. The work for Turbine, just like you and me work for other companies. How many times in a day does something go wrong at your job? How many times in a day does something go wrong at your job that you had no ability to prevent? Obviously Turbine did not predict this extended downtime to occur. Therefore, they couldn't prevent it. Would you want someone hounding you over something you had no ability to control? If you worked for a grocery store, and a truck that was delivering apples to your store was involved in a car crash on it route.
Would you want a customer to cuss you out and blame you for something you couldn't control? I know it's a ridiculous analogy but it does make sense. What <b>more</b> do you want from Turbine? They have: 1.) Apologized 2.) Offered Compesation 3.) and Are trying to prevent this problem from reoccuring. I'm not here to put anybody down. I'm not perfect and I don't expect anyone else to be, but look at what your doing.
Turbine is giving us compensation, and people are more or less saying "It's not enough I want more". This is slightly childish don't you think. After all, we should all be adults playing sinces billing is by credit card. Actually, a child wouldn't make as big of a deal about this as most of the adults posting on these forums. A child would be like "That stinks" and go on, but adults on the other hand are a different story......

Just my thoughts guys. I for one would like to sincerely thank Turbine for their Apology, Updates, Ect. I'm extremely glad that I was updated and informed of what was going on. Weather it's true or not I felt like the Turbine staff did care about countless number of customers that were without gaming time.

MyrddynDraconis
12-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Ok maybe apologies for it happening one time , twice? Reminds of that Old saying " Burn me once shame on you, Burn me twice Shame on ME!" Well this is happening way to often ,way to much and apologies be dam- the compensation is WAY TO SMALL! A friggin Candy cane??!!!! Come On If this was a once in awhile thing maybe I could be happy but it is not. And the fact that they take and schedule these DT for starters and then keep EXTENDING them leads me to believe that a>) They do not know what they are doing, or b.) understaffed and overworked ( HA! aren't we all?), or c.) have other things to do besides their duties ( Like their nails?), or d.) whatever else.
And yes I work in a consummer related buisness I am a Chef, with 3 other cooks working under me and when they mess up I TAKE THE HEAT FROM THE CUSOMER(S). So if they cannot take the Crit let them get the h out of the Programming buisness and put someone that can do in.

MyrddynDraconis
12-03-2007, 01:52 AM
on the other hand- I would like to say -- GET RID OF THE MADE IN CHINA HARDWARE -- it has too much lead in it, causes peeps to over-react and hyperventilate, get over excited, rant and rave, rock and roll, and do crazy things:)

dakvas
12-03-2007, 12:31 PM
ok heres my 2cp.I say turbine did a good job on explaining the reason for the extra down time,I say good job on the account rollback, I say good job on giving out the candy canes as my wizzard loves the sweets.But now with this +1 loot weekend thing, it matters not.It is nice when we get them but it should not be expected and abused that way when we do get 1 it makes it more special.Now with that been said What about the new mod. and a raise in the lvl cap.When can we expect this.

Thanks Turbine for all your had work.

theedtwo
12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
i just have one question about the candy canes, i have been on every day since the downtimes and i am just wondering, how are we getting them and when?

MyrddynDraconis
12-04-2007, 04:13 AM
From what I have read from 2nd and 3rd ( maybe even 4th hand) sources the delievery date is "Sometime in December" and they will magical appear in your packs has your toon log ins. Jeez they cannot even be pinned down to an exact time it would take to fix a restart and Now WE are wanting an EXACT TIME for delivery , come on folks out there lets get REAL we are talking about Turbine and DDO here! Getting an exact time ---RFOL ---- Yea right! Don't hold yer air, you'll turn blue and fall down!

banken
12-04-2007, 11:16 AM
The way Turbine handled the situation would have been great if we actually received what was promised...

So, are we getting them as Christmas presents???

That would be like having you birthday on Christmas!

smatt
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Booooo.. Have some cheese the game for the most par tis FINE.. Those that are having a frigan cow are inscenssant complainers that would complain if they won ONLY 1 million dollars on a lottery ticket.. Most of the complainers,a lthough claiming to be network/game/CS/ this or that geniuses have no clue the difficulties of not only creating and running an MMO, but doign so with one that is designed around a longstanding and complicated game such as DDO. Attempting to placate and keep the longtime D&D junkies happy, while also trying to bring in a younger non-PnP D&D crowd. Being able to afford to pay licensing fees to WotC, as well as running every thing through them for approaval.... And then you run accross the people who throw temper tantrums over a FEW days of downtime a YEAR..... Spoiled.....

GhettoBooty
12-04-2007, 03:36 PM
O.K. In the last year or so I can only remember the game being shutdown only three or four times myself, with quick reaction from turbine or whoever. (Happens with all games) I play this game all the time. In fact my wife and friends would even consider me an "Addict". This should'nt even be an issue. In the past we have always been treated fairly, with the +1 loot and bonus xp weekends. (has been awhile). Stop complaining, in comparison to wow, nwn, this game kicks a*&.

Junkyard
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Anyone else not get theirs?

Zyklon
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Anyone else not get theirs?

Nope. No one in our guild either. This one gets filed under... "It's the thought that counts." :rolleyes:

-

MyrddynDraconis
12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
is not the fact that the system broke down, like it has been pointed out- in Truth DDO /Turbine has done a c+/B- on their handling of the repair work :BUT on the otherhand their continuted use of the EXTENDING repair time(3-4 times with the last episode) with the fact that the statements continue to change has to why the extentions are being implemented, and the use (admit not all the time) of cutting off all communications with them . One of the BIGGEST reasons why I left SWG was their tactic of not listenning to the gaming peeps and their own Devs and CSR , They totally cut off the Chat Rooms even ones that where set up for the sole purpose of listening to the paying customers VENT. Eventuality they (JULIO TORRES) closed off all communications and did their own thing resulting in the NGE( Which JT ADMITTED he had planned for a year to implement before he did it) and the resulting fiasco of the NGE and it abandonment of the game by over 2/3 of its paying base.
I personally feel fortunate to be able to vent has freely has I do Yes it could be better, but it could be far worst. It could be the NGE DDO TURBINE! Wait .. Wait .. I feel a trembling in the Crystal Ball ... and I see.....................Plat farmers from China Power leveling toons so fast they go from lv1 to 14 in a day and the toons are outfitted with the most rare and powerful weapons in the realms and guess what else whoever owns the toon never earned a bit of it though the game but bought it off the shelf to start with.. Sounds like Julio Torres lives in China to mess up other games:)

RunsFree
12-07-2007, 12:07 AM
I was just wondering when the candy canes were going to get distributed. I have three characters. One I play and two for my son and as far as I know none of them received anything at all.

MyrddynDraconis
12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
candy cane reception

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I have read from 2nd and 3rd ( maybe even 4th hand) sources the delievery date is "Sometime in December" and they will magical appear in your packs has your toon log ins. Jeez they cannot even be pinned down to an exact time it would take to fix a restart and Now WE are wanting an EXACT TIME for delivery , come on folks out there lets get REAL we are talking about Turbine and DDO here! Getting an exact time ---RFOL ---- Yea right! Don't hold yer air, you'll turn blue and fall down!

MyrddynDraconis
12-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Here is ANOTHER Scheduled DT for "Maintence" for 4 hours. Any body want to take aim on the actual time frame before it is completed? BTW this makes 3 weeks in a row for Schedule DT on Mondays. Maybe they are working on Mod 6? Naw don't think so:(

MyrddynDraconis
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Locked out? You did say till 12 didn't ya? Come On TURBINE!! Get yer wheels rollin!:)

MyrddynDraconis
12-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Getting old waiting on ya Turbine , gonna need a cane to get around with if ya don't hurry up:)

MyrddynDraconis
12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
As if they could not do 2 things at the same time and get BOTH DTs done with one DT Jeez how crazy they must be:( Thanks for the candy canes and Loss time due to poor programming schedules guys:( Jeez 2 4 hour patches in two days they where late getting Mondays DT regoing bet they'll be late again after all they got to go hide all those Coins ! Yea:)
Happy FESTIVAL FOLKS! And guess what ? I really do mean THAT ONE !!! HAPPY FESTIVAL! Party ON! NO MORE DOWN TIME! NO MORE DOWN TIME!

MyrddynDraconis
12-11-2007, 02:17 PM
So they brought the Servers back on at 1045EST this mornin and now they are doing ANOTHER SNAFU-ED DT for an est 30 minutes at 3:15 PM EST so whats up DDO ? HUH ?

MyrddynDraconis
12-12-2007, 05:32 PM
For the THRID THIS WEEK AN ANNOUNCED DT, and once again for something they could have and SHOULD have done on the Monday fix!!!! TURBINE I AM LOSING "PATIENCE" WITH YOUR DISRESPECT OF US!!

Falco_Easts
12-12-2007, 05:41 PM
For the THRID THIS WEEK AN ANNOUNCED DT, and once again for something they could have and SHOULD have done on the Monday fix!!!! TURBINE I AM LOSING "PATIENCE" WITH YOUR DISRESPECT OF US!!

Huh? Who's dissin' us?

jjflanigan
12-12-2007, 06:05 PM

First off, there was no "fix" on Monday. The patch was on Tuesday. Secondly, they are doing the down time tomorrow due to people requesting it on the forums.